• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
In your post you only listed main line games so I assumed that was what were we talking about here.

Final Fantasy 15 proper is not on Switch. Did you mean the mobile version?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13 Saga, 14, 15, 7R are all not on Switch. 12 surprising so. Thats just the mainline games. Point being that all things Final Fantasy are not switch bound.

The final fantasy games we've seen SE put on switch thus far were ports they could easily move over, which is fantastic. It doesn't imply in any way that SE would make a AAA FF game for the system.

Wait, 12 is on the switch isn't it?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I doubt there's any AAA Final Fantasy games in development besides FFXVI and the FFVII Remake sequels. All of Square's main teams should be accounted for (Kitase's team on FFVIIR, Yoshida's team on XVI and XIV, Luminous on Athia, and the Dragon Quest people doing DQXII).

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Bearers had a lot of hype around it (mostly cause the Wii had no games) but that came and went in the fandom

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bravely Default is basically a Final Fantasy spin-off. The first game's abbreviation is even BD:FF.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Not one iota. Switch, like the DS and the Wii will get spin offs that, while possibly good, will be nowhere near AAA budget. I just don't think its in their design philosophy. Low end machines have always tended to get budgeted titles and the power consoles get the AAA.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
No

And I prefer it this way
Not attaching FF brand to their Switch dedicated products led to more original style and contents compared to their modern FF output, in both Bravely and Octopath

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I don't think so.
Seems more likely to get all the non mainline games on Switch / and stuff like an Octopath sequel.

I would love a Switch ton only entry but I can't see SE doing it. Probably keep going the way it has so far.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default is basically a Final Fantasy spin-off. The first game's abbreviation is even BD:FF.

It's also very much a sequel to this:

1814646-box_fft4hol.png

Oct 31, 2017
Unlikely as they're already too busy working on FF14, FF16 and all those FF7 games! :D

That said, the switch isn't home to very many Final Fantasy games in general. 7, 8, 9, and 10? Correct me if I'm wrong but there are far more Final Fantasy games not on the console.

X-2 and XII are available on Switch as well.

Last edited:

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I doubt it, and even if they started now, it'd end up releasing on the Switch successor. It's much more likely that they'd release it as a multiplatform game too.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think that Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler, among the other smaller multiplatform rpgs will be the ones reaching the Switch. Although, I can see a smaller scale FF title on Switch on a scale less than AAA but not as quite AA.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Lol, no.

Bravely Default being its own thing despite its classic FF/4HoL roots just tells me SE doesn't want to muddle things too much when it comes to what's considered a mainline game. To them, FF equals production values beyond what the Switch can handle. They might give the thing its own spin-off down the line, but even those seem to have dried up in recent years outside of mobile.

I don't expect the situation to change regardless of how MHR or that future RE title perform, things have been pretty much the same for years now.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
i don't see why not. Depending how you define AAA
we got Crisis Core and Type 0 (which were big budget handheld games) for the PSP and iirc they did fairly well.

Final Fantasy is loosing their audience in Japan, while breaking records in the west.

Wouldn't this be a opportunity or atleast a chance for SE to make both sides happy? Mainline FF Games for PS5,Xbox and PC and try to create a big budget spinn-off series for the Switch to recapture the audience in Japan (they can still release the switch game for the other plattforms aswell)

imo it would be a worth a try