• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

All black PS5 at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 219 58.7%
  • 0-3months after launch

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3-6months after launch

Votes: 21 5.6%
  • 6-12months after launch

Votes: 88 23.6%
  • 12months+

Votes: 124 33.2%

• Total voters

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
It was a surprise to me and to maybe a few others that the PS5 was white with a white controller when it was revealed.

It's probably too late to announce it BUT, do you think there will be a black version at launch or later down the line?

Personally i'd go for all black on release if possible.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
If anything their black console would be when they go to a smaller form factor for their slim version in a few years, or certain special editions.

Their controller is white and black, with no other colours available. So I doubt they'll release a black "launch" style PS5 for mass retail.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I'd like them to - I don't have a problem from a design perspective, but I'm lazy and my all-white Xbox 360 got pretty gross after a while - but don't see it happening

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
No but maybe as part of a holiday bundle in a year or so like the did with the white PS4s

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, the white PS4 was released alongside Destiny, 10 months after the launch of the console.

That's maybe how much you'll have to wait for another color.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fall 2021, almost exactly this time next year is my bet, ~10-11 months after launch.

If Xbox manages to do well in its first year, then I imagine it will come bundled with some sort of Sony exclusive game that's brand new, but the console itself won't sport any special graphics or anything.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
No, but maybe 1 a year after launch. We could see different color controllers a lot sooner though.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I don't know who told them that white is the new black, and they surely didn't ask me, but i don't think we will see a black PS5.
Maybe some special editions with games will be black.

Mar 3, 2018
nope, maybe in 1-2 years.

I can maybe see a PS5 Pro being released mid-gen that is black, just to extra tempt some people. We will have to wait and see I guess.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
AbsoluteAgedElk-small.gif

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not at launch, but we'll get one down the road, that's pretty much certain.

I've got no clue when, but maybe already in a year.

Oct 25, 2017
I know you can select multiple answers, but why even include the "no" option? Just say "When will Sony release an all-black PS5?" and have the options be "At launch," the various timing options, and "Sony will never release an all-black PS5"

A sensical poll should not be this hard. I'd also expand the times to be not just basically the first year or after the first year.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
No. I could maybe see a solid black controller being available at launch but even that seems unlikely. And we're at least a year away from seeing them play with the color schemes of the console.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Launch units will sell out immediately. No need for any other incentives to get people to buy it.. They can hold onto that for later.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Not at all. PS5 is Astro Boy themed. Maybe down the line an all black Astro Bot will appear and a PS5 behind that...but for now....the PS5 is the Civic type-R of gaming consoles.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I could see one being bundled with a big release in 6-12 months and available separately a while after that.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It took a year for a white PS4 to appear, I am pretty sure it will take that long for a black one to pop up.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Nope. They`re gonna keep that for the PS5 Pro-release.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the special editions or a hypothetical mid-gen model will be black. Don't hold your breath for a black launch unit short of a third party (like colorware, etc) doing some modifications.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think eventually. No need to complicate launch with more variables on top of discless and disc version.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
There will most likely be special editions or other options in the future. Doubt it will happen in the first year.

Joo

May 25, 2018
No, but i guess the console's faceplates could be interchangeable as some reports have suggested. Black version is definitely coming sometime in the future. I would buy it over white any day.