• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they're playing hooky two years in a row because they can't wait to get back to school.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Probably. If E3 doesn't make sense for them now why would it make sense for them in the future? I feel like the industry has moved past console wars (for the most part), people at Sony probably think that they're not missing out on anything.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you can EVER say never, but if they're not going in what is their biggest year of the decade, then probably.

Yeah, this. With a console launch looming going along this year would seem to make a lot of sense, so if they're skipping it this year it's hard to see them returning any time soon unless situations change massively.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
If the PS5 launches well without them attending I doubt they'll bother again for a while

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
If they're skipping a new gen reveal E3 appearance, I can't think of anything that could bring them back unless E3 changes drastically.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, unless ESA caves and gives them what they want.

To be honest, how awful their last E3 was in planning and execution.....I just can't see them doing anything like that again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, a 1 off could leave doubt, but two times in a row, while still attending most other cons is about as "we're done with it" as they can get I think.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they are. I also think more and more companies will leave E3. That shit needs a reset.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Probably not, but if you want me to believe they never will, skipping e3 the year their new console launches is pretty convincing.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes. If they can't even show up for a new hardware reveal then it's clear they don't want to come back. Maybe if they changed the people at top in Sony they might.

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully everyone will be done with E3 FOREVER.

EA is already doing its own shit
Sony for the 2nd year in a row

Everyone should follow and we don't need E3 to have big announcements AT ALL.

Even a random tweet or article will create enough buzz for your game.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I just fail to see the point of the Sony & MS conferences now. A good 70% of their shows end up being dedicated to multiplatform titles. Why spend all that stage time giving a floor to something that will appear on your competitors platform? Just no use for it any more.

Stick a video out like Nintendo and then run a treehouse where you can see their games getting played.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the conferences are not E3. They take place before E3. The show is the booths at the convention center, and Nintendo puts on massive booths. Their E3 Directs and Treehouse Live use E3 as a backbone and are immensely successful.

E3 2019 floorplan:
Iiyxa1b.jpg
This.

Sony "skipping E3" means that they won't be present on the show floor, not that they won't have a (press) conference at around the same time/place as E3 - which is what several publishers has been doing for some time now I think. Nintendo is the opposite actually, they participate in the show but don't have a E3 (press) conference.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is not 'officially' done with E3 as far as we know but it's a long way off before we'll find out now. Either way, as long as we get a Nintendo Direct in June, everything else is a sideshow.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
I cannot predict the future, but if E3 is still remains with current format, I think Sony would not bother attending anymore.

Sad, they have the numbers to backed.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless something changes in the relationship between the ESA and Sony, yes, I believe so.

Skipping E3 in the year PS5 is launching is a huge slap on the face for the ESA.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yes, I think they're done.

E3 is a relic of a different time when the media was the primary focus, I don't think it'll be around for much longer.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They are a multinational corporation. They are never done with anything. If and when the opportunity makes sense for them Sony will return.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
E3 as we've come to recognize it is probably over if the industry leader will pick a different venue to demonstrate their new console.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
It might depend if some dev milestones of more than two of their big games happen to fall into E3 season. It's probably better for their teams not to have to crunch towards an external, random date to get a trailer or a demo done.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not, E3 is on it's last legs IMO.

With Nintendo out and Sony not attending for the second year in a row, Microsoft is the only one of the big three still putting together a presentation for the conference itself. While MS definitely provides a great E3 showing consistently, it's not enough to support the show entirely. Eventually, they too will forego the expo for an independent screening of their very own.
What?

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
In the current state of E3 I think they are done with it. If E3 changes then Sony might return.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, gotta agree with those saying a new console launch and they aren't going means they are done with E3, for now at least.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
The ESA have tried to change E3 too much, feel like they shot themselves in the foot recently, ended up alienating the companies. So unless they start to revert, I don't see Sony coming back.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I could see them going the Nintendo route and doing a State of Play the week of E3 going forward, in place of actually attending.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, can you repeat the question?
Companies and their policies change all the time - it's probably a question of "when" not "if". Given both companies exist long enough.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
We don't hear enough about the reasons and the ESA.

Would seem as though Sony is done with E3 as we know it today if they won't attend in a PS5 launch year.

Sony have an opportunity to start their own show brand and news without paying a large sum. I can bet if Sony don't do so well then they will be back. E3 still generates a lot of viewers worldwide.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This.

Sony "skipping E3" means that they won't be present on the show floor, not that they won't have a (press) conference at around the same time/place as E3 - which is what several publishers has been doing for some time now I think. Nintendo is the opposite actually, they participate in the show but don't have a E3 (press) conference.

Yeah. I much prefer Nintendo's presence because Treehouse is always fun to watch and I don't know how or why they would do that without an expo happening in the background.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Remember that the conferences are not E3. They take place before E3. The show is the booths at the convention center, and Nintendo puts on massive booths. Their E3 Directs and Treehouse Live use E3 as a backbone and are immensely successful.

E3 2019 floorplan:
Iiyxa1b.jpg
Right, that's what I meant. "Done with E3" as in they won't be doing a conference, but they'll be at the show.