• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Title

• Nothing, they've already revealed all of their PS4 games

Votes: 522 46.9%
  • Small, AA kind of stuff. VR games

Votes: 537 48.2%
  • There's still big game/s left to announce

Votes: 55 4.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Sony announces game way before their release, unlike Nintendo, who USUALLY ( except for MP4 which was unexpectedly rebooted) announced games less than a year before they release. You could find examples of first party games on the switch announced 'too early' but they are in in the minority (Fire Emblem).

So for me, 0.0 chance to see an AAA on PS4, they cancelled since a while now all E3, PS experience, Paris games week appearance, they clearly have nothing more to show and TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams are, frankly,....more than enough !

PS4 had a VERY consistent and powerful first party catalog, I, personally found that the action/adventure gendra was a little too prominent BUT,...too many good original games too ! Gravity, The last Guardian, Dreams etc. Blood borne for me is original enough because it's hard and From Software does not make classic action/adventure games ;), Horizon ,God of War, Spider-man, those were absolutely fun to play !

So my wish for the PS5 is to simply keep going with that same pace, but maybe add a first party Action RPG, a T-RPG once in a while...and a new little big planet (but Dreams right now must be taking all the attention of Media Molecule).

But for the PS4, it has done its time, and it had SO MANY good games I don't feel it's fair to ask for even more

Last edited:

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Maybe smaller titles? I'd think sony has all of its first party studios working on ps5 projects by now. Oh and Knack3 needs to happen as a launch ps5 title, im gonna get some stick from some "hardcore" ps gamers here but hey Knack 2 is actually a good game.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
With recent reports saying that the PS5 will be shipping in limited quantities, it's hard to think they'll just abandon the PS4. Cross-gen titles will happen, i imagine, where able.

Unannounced 3rd party games will certainly try to hit the PS4 and PS5 at the same time if they can.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sony announces game way before their release, unlike Nintendo, who USUALLY ( except for MP4 which was unexpectedly rebooted) announced games less than a year before they release. You could find examples of first party games on the switch announced 'too early' but they are in in the minority (Fire Emblem).

Not necessarily, especially when there's a new generation of hardware coming.

Gran Turismo 6 was announced in May 2013 and came out in December 2013.
Little Big Planet 3 was announced in June 2013 (at E3) and came out in November 2013 (PS3 and PS4)

There's every chance that we've still got first party PS4 stuff unannounced.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Most small VR titles will be crossgen to make up for the extremely limited base.

Tbf VR games are not crossgen, or exclusive, they are PSVR games and they will run on both PS4 and PS5 because bosth skus are compatible.

I don't think there will be exclusive VR games for the PS5 that run on the PSVR is what I'm saying. There will be PSVR or PSVR2 games, and PSVR2 will only run on the PS5, when it launches

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe something smaller could be a PS4/PS5 title like a new Ratchet and Clank or a Studio Japan game.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
If its only smaller titles wouldnt they look bad since the other guy is releasing big first party AAA title on the old system.

Last edited:

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
They will definitely release a few more big games after TLOU2 and GOT. They'll be crossgen and scaled-back, but in this economy they can't possibly ignore the 100M+ installed base in the next year or even two.

Even the next GTA might be way off and I think it will release on PS4 too.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Sadly the amount of consoles out will make the transition to Next-gen only games take a while. I'm thinking 3 years possibly, especially after Covid 19. Imagine only having a handful of next gen only games when the mid gen refresh hits lol! Maybe they won't need one this time. I always want them to transition right away to push the next gen consoles but they're a business and they want to max profits.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You really think they would have held on announcing pretty much any big game after Ghost of Tsushima (October 2017) if not because of the PS5 launch?

Not necessarily, especially when there's a new generation of hardware coming.

Gran Turismo 6 was announced in May 2013 and came out in December 2013.
Little Big Planet 3 was announced in June 2013 (at E3) and came out in November 2013 (PS3 and PS4)

There's every chance that we've still got first party PS4 stuff unannounced.

PS4's launch was poor though, I would hope that Sony is trying to avoid a repeat of that. Only the thirst after the longest generation ever and Microsoft royally screwing up prevented it from affecting hardware sales.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Probably vr games that might be cross gen until psvr 2 comes out. I don't think there will be any non vr games that Sony announces for the PS4 anymore

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You really think they would have held on announcing pretty much any big game after Ghost of Tsushima (October 2017) if not because of the PS5 launch?

PS4's launch was poor though, I would hope that Sony is trying to avoid a repeat of that. Only the thirst after the longest generation ever and Microsoft royally screwing up prevented it from affecting hardware sales.

All I can say is that Sony do have first party stuff that they haven't announced yet that is 100% planned for PS4. I'd presume that what I know of is PS5 too at this point.

I think launch window will be similar to last gen honestly? A decent selection of big cross-gen stuff. Mostly from third parties but some Sony stuff too. And then a handful of PS5 exclusives. Sony are presumably gonna keep selling a shitload of PS4 consoles for a good amount of time. It's gonna have crazy legs. No need to leave those folk behind.

Last edited:

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To play games on better hardware? Nothing indicates the game would need to be next gen only and its already quite a niche title. Add that it is quite a few years old copies do you honestly expect it to sell on ps5?
Yes??? It is one of the most loyal and predominantly hardcore niches out there, any Demons Souls fan who might be on the fence about buying a PS5 will pull the trigger if a remake launches there exclusively.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I think if any studios are making a game that can work cross gen they will do it. I think we may see a few smaller titles but I believe that most Sony studios are doing things solely for PS5. We may see something like Ratchet out of Insomniac for example. But I think this year will be the last year they reveal a big new game for PS4 from first party. And I think they can abandon it. As long as they are selling games and subs it'll be good for them. They don't need to push a ton of consoles at this point. The PS4 library is so huge and many devs will make titles for it for a long time including indies and third party.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes??? It is one of the most loyal and predominantly hardcore niches out there, any Demons Souls fan who might be on the fence about buying a PS5 will pull the trigger if a remake launches there exclusively.

I still have my PS3 copy, what makes you think this game would be a system seller and what makes you believe it would need to be PS5 exclusive? This is not nearly as big as FFVII Remake and making it crossgen would generate far more sales

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still have my PS3 copy, what makes you think this game would be a system seller and what makes you believe it would need to be PS5 exclusive? This is not nearly as big as FFVII Remake and making it crossgen would generate far more sales
It's a system seller because it has been highly requested among its fanbase which, for the third time, are much more likely to be part of the hardcore demographic that are more likely to be early adopters in the first place.
It doesn't need to be PS5 exclusive but it makes far more sense as one. The bigger the technical distance between it and the original the better.
FFVIIR being big is actually an argument in favor of it being a PS4 game. A large part of its potential buyers are more casual and thus less likely to buy a new console just for it. They would lose potential sales at launch (which is the most lucrative part of a game's "saleslife") if it wasn't.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's a system seller because it has been highly requested among its fanbase which, for the third time, are much more likely to be part of the hardcore demographic that are more likely to be early adopters in the first place.
It doesn't need to be PS5 exclusive but it makes far more sense as one. The bigger the technical distance between it and the original the better.
FFVIIR being big is actually an argument in favor of it being a PS4 game. A large part of its potential buyers are more casual and thus less likely to buy a new console just for it. They would lose potential sales at launch (which is the most lucrative part of a game's "saleslife") if it wasn't.
Sorry but I think you have too much faith in a title that by all accounts never even broke 1 million sales. Nostalgia is great I know and we heard many hardcore talking about such titles in the past too like Shenmue, but that does not translate into system sellers. Early adopters will buy anything because choices are usually rather slim. If you want to reacher a wider audience you'd make it a cross-gen title. There was nothing about it that revolutionalized the hardware on a technical level even back when it was released, so it certainly would not be a showpiece for the PS5.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think they will based purely on the fact that Sony are treating the ps5 as a brand new generation of machine whereas MS are saying that the Series X is a continuation of the line, if that makes sense!

I'd expect support for stuff like TLoU 2 multiplayer going into the next 18+ months but I don't believe we'll see anything new in terms of 1st party titles for PS4.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Unannounced cross gen stuff probably. I imagine that games with smaller audiences will be on both PS5 and PS4, like Astrobot 2 if it's being made.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they will based purely on the fact that Sony are treating the ps5 as a brand new generation of machine whereas MS are saying that the Series X is a continuation of the line, if that makes sense!

To be fair, the PS4 was also a brand new generation of machine (no BC at all) and Sony still continued to announce and release first party software for it.

Both games announced post the PS4 being revealed and games released post the PS4 releasing.

They're not gonna instantly drop 100 million PS4 owners (plus future owners as PS4 hardware continues to be sold) for a limited amount of PS5 owners at launch. They'll support both. This has always been the way.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
All I can say is that Sony do have first party stuff that they haven't announced yet that is 100% planned for PS4. I'd presume that what I know of is PS5 too at this point.

I think launch window will be similar to last gen honestly? A decent selection of big cross-gen stuff. Mostly from third parties but some Sony stuff too. And then a handful of PS5 exclusives. Sony are presumably gonna keep selling a shitload of PS4 consoles for a good amount of time. It's gonna have crazy legs. No need to leave those folk behind.
Do you have some insider information or is that an educated guess?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
genuinely don't know what you're trying to say here?

That history shows that they will continue to announce and release first party software despite a new generation coming.

PS5 being a 'clean break' from this generation doesn't mean Sony will stop announcing and releasing PS4 software. There are too many PS4 users. We saw things like LBP3 and GT6 continue to be announced and released for the PS3 post the PS4 announcement last gen. A lot of crossgen stuff. That will likely happen again.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
That history shows that they will continue to announce and release first party software despite a new generation coming.

PS5 being a 'clean break' from this generation doesn't mean Sony will stop announcing and releasing PS4 software. There are too many PS4 users. We saw things like LBP3 and GT6 continue to be announced and released for the PS3 post the PS4 announcement last gen. A lot of crossgen stuff. That will likely happen again.
gt6 came out a couple of weeks after the ps4 launch so I'm not classifying a game released so soon after the ps4 launch as a big sign of commitment to the future of the ps3. Besides which that game was announced in 2011 so was known to be a PS3 title for years before launch.

Aside from lbp3 what else was there that anyone was really interested in from 2014 onwards?

We may end up with odds and ends equivalent to Helldivers but my point is that I don't believe there will be any big Sony games released for PS4 after the ps5 comes out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
gt6 came out a couple of weeks after the ps4 launch so I'm not classifying a game released so soon after the ps4 launch as a big sign of commitment to the future of the ps3. Besides which that game was announced in 2011 so was known to be a PS3 title for years before launch.

Aside from lbp3 what else was there that anyone was really interested in from 2014 onwards?

We may end up with odds and ends equivalent to Helldivers but my point is that I don't believe there will be any big Sony games released for PS4 after the ps5 comes out.

Agree with that. I don't think they'll be committed in terms of new Uncharted or whatever but things like LBP, Everybody's Golf kind of level of game totally viable for cross-gen releases still coming to PS4.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have minded them padding their line-up out with a few remasters to be honest.. namely inFamous.