• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sea of Thieves for a mainly solo matey:

• Aye!

Votes: 65 20.8%
  • Nay.

Votes: 248 79.2%

• Total voters

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I love the idea of Sea of Thieves but have nobody to play with! I actually sort of love the idea of getting out on the water on my own sloop, but I want it to be a somewhat chill experience. Do you feel it's possible to play Sea of Thieves solo and still have fun? What's the best way to — for the most part — avoid getting rolled and griefed on by crews of players? What should I know about a game that has changed immeasurably since I've played it (launch)?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Personally, no.

I find it to be fairly boring unless I'm swashbuckling with the mates.

tbf though, I haven't played in a hot minute, so maybe things have changed.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I've tried. I mean it can be a nice way to just look around, but really playing? Nope. It just stop being fun after a while. The fun is navigating a big ship with a crew and co-operating to get treasure etc.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to be good to enjoy solo. But you can't really get good just playing solo.

Oct 27, 2017
I really tried and didn't think it was. You're better off spending an hour playing whatever version of Pirates!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Its why I bounced off the game. Which is fine, it really is mainly a co-op type of deal.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
No, I adamantly don't recommend it. Not that it's a big waste of time to try, but my enjoyment was quite limited playing by myself, and that's something I've heard often from others.

It's a game that's extremely dependent on the circumstances in which you play, both for better and worse.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
ive tried, it didnt catch on for me. its really one of those games where you have to make your own fun, and when youre doing it by yourself, you quickly start to say "what is the point?"

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I got a bit bored even when I was playing with my friends, regardless of how fun the game can sometimes be, so I wouldn't bother alone, no.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
I got to Pirate Legend while solo for 95% of the time.

The game is still fun solo, but it is better together with other people.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the responses so far aren't promising. :( Really would have liked to try this, but mess around in it solo. Guess not.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, most certainly.

The trouble is you have to be good at the game and getting good while solo *is* hard. Much easier to learn the ropes with a crew. Once you know how to play then solo slooping is pretty damn easy, and you can even take down bigger fish if you really know what you're doing.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
No.

I made a valiant effort to play solo for months and just got absolutely wrecked every. single. time.

As amazing as SoT is, my biggest gripe with the game is it's just virtually impossible to enjoy the game playing by yourself.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok and can be very fun, but I usually only play when my BF or friends are up for a session, if we're 2-4 doesn't matter so long as it's coop. It becomes a lot better.

DemonFox

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta agree with everyone else here. I'm sure I'd love the game and I tried to solo a lot and often but it always wasn't fun to be honest. I can see it being a blast with more people but I wouldn't recommend playing it solo.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's fun solo, you just need to be hyper-aware of where other ships are (especially when you're on an island) and go into it knowing there's a chance you'll be fucked with. It's not for everyone.

If you're on console, turn off crossplay. Consider using matchmaking to join random galleons (both Arena and Adventure) to get used to the combat before going out on your own.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have a friend who is super good at the game and plays it alone a LOT and has a ton of success and fun.
For me personally, I barely enjoy it in a full group, so playing alone would be an absolute no go for me.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's barely worth it with friends. Decent for one night of fun but that's about it.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
As a solo player, it's a great game. Maneuvering the ship is easy, doing PVE events are fun, and sometimes I just sit and relax while playing music. The issue are the other players.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on you but I would say 90% of my enjoyment with the game has been from playing with 2 of my friends. Doesn't matter if we're not the best or if we score every single treasure. Goofy around and sailing the seas while cracking jokes has been more fun than anything else. That being said I've done solo games a few times here and there and it's not bad.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I do a lot of solo play as I'm an old so it's a bit harder as irl friends are not so gamer-y. Sea of Thieves is a game that even with randos is quite a bit better with a crew, imo. I will say though that the audience for the game tends to be really nice and accommodating for the most part. Destiny 2 and Sea of Thieves have been my most frequently pleasant LFG experiences in a long long time. And cross play hasn't ruined that for SoT.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Nope.

I've tried, and it's totally doable. I sank a few crews with my tiny ship too. The gameplay loop is just not that great when you alone have to do everything.

This really should be multiplayer only.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Tips for SoloSlooping:
-You're fastest when going into the wind. Use this if a Brig or Galleon rolls up on you and you don't wanna fight. They'll either have to chase you forever but usually they'll get bored and peel off. You can also jump off your boat and try to board them or throw explosives overboard. Since you're in the lead they'll most likely never catch up with your ship but you'll continually be boarding them and causing havok. Long as your ship has a straight path with nothing infront it'll be fine before you get back.

-Make sure to check for players running Reaper ships before getting an Emissary flag. Biggest problem with running solo is you can't keep eyes on the horizon at all time, so don't run a flag unless the coast is clear or you're ballzy.

-Always park with your sails up and your anchor up. This goes for any play session but really important if you're solo and need to get the fuck out quickly. Just lower the sails and GTFO.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I only play solo and love it. Just take a sloop out and sail around. I don't do a lot of the treasure hunting and stuff like that, I just encounter what I run into. It's very chill and a great way to unwind.

I try to avoid other ships, and for the most part get left alone.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favourite game last year with friends. You can have some fun on your own, the small ship is fun to control and quests are great but it isn't really the same, and a bit miserable if you're an hour into a bunch of maps and come back from land to find a galleon has rolled up on you or something. Its easy to find a lot of time wasted solo.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually the best fun you can have solo is trolling other crews. If you're concerned about losing your loot you're going to have a rough time, but I've spent a few sessions flying the Reaper's Mark, anchoring up by an island and waiting for another crew to come where I can take random sniper shots, sneak into their crows nest and see how far I can go unnoticed, or lead them on a scuttle chase.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No. Sea of Thieves a great shared experience, but it's really set up for playing with friends.

Also, getting ganked by another boat full of players would be even less fun if you were by yourself.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, not for any significant amount of time anyway.

I will say that just sailing around is incredibly relaxing though. But from when I played it solo last year it was pretty dull pretty fast to actually quest.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hmm, depends on your experience with the game. For players starting the game for the first time I'd say no. But if you've got plenty of experience playing on galleons and brigs and know how the game works and want to try a session on your own; yeah, sure.

Sea of Thieves is a really slow game when playing solo. But it can be a chill experience. It's a great experience when playing with a fun crew though.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm also interested in playing solo. I basically want to go fishing and sell my shit like I did in runescape

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Haha yeah like I kind of just wanted to chill and appreciate the atmosphere but it sounds like there is not a huge lane carved out for that

Most of the game is chill. Even if you do run up against some people that ruin your day, there can be days you don't see a single person on the ocean. Especially if you park yourself in some corner no one goes to.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I've only played it solo and honestly hated it, might be different with friends but none of mine play so I tried it solo and it just...wasn't fun.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am i the only one who finds all these people in one thread individually saying "I'd love to play this game but it's no fun solo" pretty hilarious??

If only there was some way to get these people to play the game in a group or something 🤔

Last edited:

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Getting rolled and griefed on by crews as a solo is challenge enough, but don't underestimate the AI threats of the world (or even just navigating/crashing). A storm can take you out unless you're on point with your multitasking. You need to keep your plates spinning perfectly when being attacked by a threat on the sea, real people or AI.

I love Sea of Thieves, but I'm not a fan of its challenge; I need a crew to make it manageable.

That said, if solo works for you, solo works for you. You'll know one way or the other after a few hours of playing by yourself.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not for a new player, no. You can play the game alone but it's designed as a social game first. It's like playing Jackbox on your own.

Don't do it. Everything is four times harder and takes four times as long and is four times less fun.

Start playing it socially (with friends or with matchmaking/LFG) and then you can always play it alone when you know what you're doing and don't have to stress about everything being a little harder.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm relatively new to the game, but I've found that the only reason to play solo (i.e. because your friends aren't available) is to just explore the weird stuff in the world, try a simple voyage, or just get better at sailing. The meat of the game seems so much better with a crew.

If you don't have friends playing, surely you can check an OT here or something to find a group?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
One thing I would say about playing solo nowadays - assuming you aren't playing for the sandbox, looking to make your own fun - is that there are the Tall Tales story missions (that still take place in a shared server) well polished now with excellent checkpoints. At launch the game was really a 3D chat room with wild galleon physics in the front of some mindless grind, but I can imagine a socially reserved solo player looking for a big challenge enjoying the narrative and riddles and environmental puzzles.

Of course there's the sandbox too if that sounds interesting to persue solo for role-playing or griefing or whatever.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Am i the only one who finds all these people in one thread individually saying "I'd love to play this game but it's no fun solo" pretty hilarious??

If only there was some way to get these people to play the game in a group or something 🤔

If only we had an OT where people could meet and play together... :P

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
My perception of SoT changed drastically in the moment I played with friends. You'll be too limited playing solo

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a lone wolf by nature but current gaming trends make it tough. I lasted one session with Sea of Thieves at launch. It was a miserable experience.