• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Sony needs to counter Halo/Forza

• No need people will be okay with TLoU2 and Death Stranding

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • Ghost of Tsushima release with PS5 (inferior ps4 version hided)

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Horizon 2 : Electric Bogalooo for launch and PS5 only

Votes: 59 23.5%
  • 1 week exclusive DLC of CoD will force to buy 499$ PS5

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Fornite : Ninja Edition exclusive to PS5

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Knack 3 : baby lets go

Votes: 61 24.3%

• Total voters

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Halo is just on a different scale.

Of course those trailers are going to have more views now because look at how many people own a PS4 compared to a Xbox. What is it like 100M to 40M? I pointed out the Halo Infinite trailer views just to show that Halo is still a major IP that people still have interest in for those that think Halo is not big anymore.

We are talking about launch titles for next gen systems. Both systems will be starting from 0. The Last OF Us is just another Tomb Raider style 3rd person game. Been there and done that many times. Halo is on a different scale with deep lore, books, movies, tv shows and anime. Iconic names like Master Chief, Cortana, The Arbitor, and The Covenant. There is a reason why Halo is compared to a universe like STAR WARS. The Last OF Us will never be on that level. I would put God Of War above The Last Of Us as a bigger IP.

Halo Infinite will be a Xbox Game Pass title launching on Xbox Scarlett, Xbox One X, Xbox One S, STEAM, GOG, X Cloud and more when it launches. I will bet that no game launching on PS5 will be bigger than Halo Infinite.
What does install base numbers matter when it comes to trailer views? You are not required to own a specific platform in order to see a trailer for an exclusive game, have you never watch a trailer for a platform you didn't own? Why "deep lore" is an important factor when it comes to sales is a mystery to me, how much deep lore is there in the biggest games in the world? Fortnite, GTAV, FIFA, COD or Minecraft?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you're playing at here, but you're either deliberately misreading what I said, or you're been disingenuous purely to label me as a fanboy.

It's not even worth trying to put a point across when all you want to do is shut me down .

I'm not putting a label on you, just curious how you went from their last game not doing that great (stil, an 84 Metacritic score) to thinking Halo Infinite might fall in the lines of Resident Evil 6.

343 don't have that bad of a track record and I'd rather be excited for their next game than to try and keep people expectations in check thinking there is a possibility their next game could be their worse. I think they have learned from past mistakes, are making things right with MC Collection. To me it's exciting to finally see Halo come to the PC. Game Pass is also going to make the online extremely healthy for a long time which is why it just boggles my mind why Sony is so apprehensive to even support their own service, PS Now with games like GT Sport. The game is multiple years old now, why not give it another boost of energy instead of always shutting down servers?

Why would I watch trailers for games that I know I am not going to play? I still have not seen The Last OF Us 2 trailer because I dont own a Playstation so I am not going to play the game. I dont watch Nintendo trailers because I dont own a Switch.

Its common sense that the games releasing on the platform with the highest install base are going to get the most views. Why do you think games like Cyberpunk, Avengers and that Star Wars games got millions more views than anything else? Those games are launching on every platform so there is so much more interest in those games.

I still watch trailers for games like Death Stranding even though I don't own a PS4. It's called being interested in games and the industry as a whole. I will also watch the Stanley Cup plaoffs even if my home team isn't it in, it's called a love for the sports and not all trailer views actually represent sales. Minecraft Dungeons should have been right up too then shouldn't it? You need to consider new IP's as well, many like to check them out even if it's not on their system.

Last edited:

Vasto

May 26, 2019
What does install base numbers matter when it comes to trailer views? You are not required to own a specific platform in order to see a trailer for an exclusive game, have you never watch a trailer for a platform you didn't own? Why "deep lore" is an important factor when it comes to sales is a mystery to me, how much deep lore is there in the biggest games in the world? Fortnite, GTAV, FIFA, COD or Minecraft?

Why would I watch trailers for games that I know I am not going to play? I still have not seen The Last OF Us 2 trailer because I dont own a Playstation so I am not going to play the game. I dont watch Nintendo trailers because I dont own a Switch. I did not watch there E3 Direct.

Its common sense that the games releasing on the platform with the highest install base are going to get the most views. Why do you think games like Cyberpunk, Avengers and that Star Wars games got millions more views than anything else? Those games are launching on every platform so there is so much more interest in those games.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i will also say as a halo fan who wants Infinite to be cool, the "bigness" of infinite depends on how ambitious it actually is.

up until this point they've allowed our minds to run wild and feast on rumors, and if the reality of the game cant live up to what we've imagined based on what they've shown it could severely damage this game's status as a "big deal".

(basically im still upset they didn't even say the words "open world" at the press conference, even though i did like the tone piece they showed (I do actually trust 343, and loved what they did with halo mechanics in 5, but at some point i need to see evidence before i get too excited))

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Horizon 2 will be next gen only... It could also be a cross gen title if it is released in the PS5 launch window. They wouldn't want to let those by then about 100 million sold PS4s go to waste. They said they were going to still support it for many years. It would be a bit disappointing if it were a cross gen title though, because I'd assume they'd not make full use of the PS5's capabilities in order to still get it running well on PS4.

I can see them forgetting about PS4 .
Sony games are having longer tails to HZD2 would sell for a good while.
Even more so if it get some sort of co op .

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why would I watch trailers for games that I know I am not going to play? I still have not seen The Last OF Us 2 trailer because I dont on a Playstation so I am not going to play the game.

That seems very narrow minded, maybe watching a trailer to a game could make you consider buying the platform that is kinda why trailers are made in order to make people want to buy the game and maybe the platform as well. If you think all the views to a trailer of an exclusive game is only from people with said platform you are very naive I think. Big IP attract people, an exclusive AAA Star Wars would also have been big, just look at PS4 Spider-Man.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Tlou multiplayer doesn't hold a candle to halos
I just don't think Sony will have an ip that competes with halo based on brand and multiplayer at launch

Feb 23, 2019

Dunno, I think if Killzone returns they really have to do the series justice. KZ2 was incredible for its time, with quality SP and MP modes. However, I just don't think there's a whole lot of areas to innovate UNLESS they give the series a TON of time, a HUGE budget, and go all out.

I'm thinking of a return to the KZ2 roots in terms of how gritty and stylized it looked, but in a QUASI-OPEN world FPS setting with main missions, side missions, etc. A fully realized Helghan with places to explore, tons of armor and weapons to upgrade...engaging japanese style boss battles, etc...

I don't think a run of the mill linear FPS campaign will really fly these days.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
*ponders*

How about GTA6 as an exclusive at launch (timed or otherwise) :D
(kidding, just joking about one of those rumors that mentioned it)

Hehe, who knows what we'll get at the PS5's launch as the system will have BC and Sony aren't especially predictable right now. The timing lines up for Horizon 2, but any number of other titles could appear at launch or the launch window. Keep in mind Sony has a healthy relationship with third party studios to develop exclusives, so we could wind up seeing a huge title that's not developed by a first party studio. Also keep in mind Sony are pondering further expansions that could lead to acquisitions, so if they acquire a studio with a game already in progress that could become a launch exclusive.

So basically too little information right now, Sony's being unpredictable and a lot of moving pieces on the board so it's very hard to say what they'll have for launch day.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I dont think Halo is as big as people think.
But it really is. If microsoft really gets that dominant marketing push on scarlett they will blow it the fuck up. People get really crazy for new Halo. Case and point Halo Online's Original launch, and ElDewritos 0.6.0 launch as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Tlou multiplayer doesn't hold a candle to halos
I just don't think Sony will have an ip that competes with halo based on brand and multiplayer at launch
..and apparently Halo 5 mp doesn't even hold a candle compared to other mp games on Xbox including Rainbow Six which released the same year. Brand means jack shit in this context.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Judging by the launch of previous generations, I think we can safely say "no": I expect Knack 3.

Partially thanks to backwards compatibility, I don't expect this will have any affect on potential sales.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You have no idea what they are launching with so your comment doesn't really have to do with the topic and more or less implies it doesn't matter. Which I already mentioned I agree with, it doesn't matter what Sony counters with on Halo Infinite. All Sony has to do is not fuck up with pricing but even then they mange to do fairly well which goes to show how much better their brand is and how little it matters with them what they launch with.

Agreed.

You really think Polyphony Digital has it in them to actually get a full game out in 3 years? I expect GT 7 Prologue.

Maybe? Kaz has been teasing next gen GT since before Sport came out.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.my/tec...s-future-proofed-next-gen-gran-turismo-titles

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018..._sport_running_in_8k_at_120_frames-per-second

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-tech-demo-real-time-ray-tracing-replay-movie-editor/

Future-proofed models? 8K? 120fps? Real-time Ray-tracing?

They can barely contain themselves over there at Polyphony Digital. They're practically chomping at the bit...

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't see Sony rushing any of their biggest IPs to launch at the same time as the console. My prediction is we won't have a God of War, Horizon, Uncharted spinoff, or Spider-Man sequel at launch. Instead, we'll get teases of several of the big titles in the works - enough to instill confidence that they're coming but not squandering the opportunity to make them polished masterpieces by rushing them to meet an arbitrary date.

Instead, I firmly expect to see updated cross-generation titles worth playing again: The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima are all candidates. I also expect smaller but still relevant games that can showcase the new technology without having the weight of expectations of the biggest IPs. Rachet and Clank is a possibility. I'm half convinced that Bluepoint has been quietly engaged by Square Enix to turn FF7 Remake into the event it needed to be, but if that's not their current gig then maybe they can reinvent another classic as a launch title.

Stir in a few third-party multi-platform titles and it'll be a memorable launch.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll most likely be Horizon 2. Halo isn't as big in today's standards. Sony just need to make sure to have a PS5 version of the new Call Of Duty at launch.

Vasto

May 26, 2019
That seems very narrow minded, maybe watching a trailer to a game could make you consider buying the platform that is kinda why trailers are made in order to make people want to buy the game and maybe the platform as well. If you think all the views to a trailer of an exclusive game is only from people with said platform you are very naive I think. Big IP attract people, an exclusive AAA Star Wars would also have been big, just look at PS4 Spider-Man.

How is it narrow minded to not have interest in a platform? That does not make sense at all. I dont care what games release on PS4 or Switch I am not buying one. I have a Xbox One X so the only reason to own a PS4 is for exclusives and I am not buying a system just for the exclusives. If I had a PS4 I would have not turned it on this year. It would be sitting there collecting dust. No service on the level of Game Pass is another reason why I am not buying one. With Game Pass I dont even have to buy games and everyday I can play a new game if I wanted and that includes Xbox Game Studio titles. I hardly ever pay $6o for a game now. Maybe 1 a year. Microsoft has changed the game.

Nintendo Switch is too underpowered and I have 0 interest in mobile. No interest at all in games like Mario and Zelda.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the PS5 will have exclusive games at launch. Just like Sony always does with their new PS launches.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need a counter.

People that had no intention of buying Halo aren't going to buy an Xbox for it or avoid a PS5 for not having it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Do you think if you stop 100 people on the street more people would know about TLOU than Halo?

you stop 100 people on the street, more of them would know what pac man is than TLOU.

Pac Man doesn't have a chance in hell of selling what the next TLOU will. Name recognition and commercial viability are two completely different things.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
What?! A lot of Sony games sell better than Halo. Halo isn't big in sales anymore by todays standards. Horizon sold over 10m copies after a year, UC4 sold over 8.6m copies in 6 months time. Spiderman is at 9m last I checked, GOW also sold over 10m copies. Sony has plenty titles to counter Halo.

TLOU2 can easily be a cross gen game if Sony wants to.

What are Halo's sales for the last few entries?
Uncharted is well over 11 million and ain't nobody scared of Halo.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nintendo have Mario
MS have Halo
Sony have....really good single player experiences?

Imagine living in a world where Nathan Drake and Kratos don't exist

edit: Uncharted 4 is over 15 million copies. God of War is over 10. Horizon is somewhere over 10. TLOU is somewhere over 17 million between PS3 and PS4.

Nobody at Sony is worried about Halo.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked is Horizon 2 and TLOU2 Remastered weren't there day 1.

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone loves Uncharted, but Halo is the hardware seller of the two. Big FPS with name recognition will do that.

Gone are the days of Tekken, GTA, Final Fantasy etc being console exclusive. Sony no longer have IPs that sell hardware to the extent Halo does.

What they do have is a fanbase without a single defined identity, and therefore palatable to greater variety of games. If Uncharted was a Microsoft IP, I doubt it would have sold as well.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Everyone loves Uncharted, but Halo is the hardware seller of the two. Big FPS with name recognition will do that.

Gone are the days of Tekken, GTA, Final Fantasy etc being console exclusive. Sony no longer have IPs that sell hardware to the extent Halo does.

Reading is hard.

When's the last Halo entry that clocked in over 15 million units?

Ipos

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Everybody is bringing the big guns next year.
Halo is only going to get bigger, we just got a sneak peek and Sony is bound to have an ace up it's sleeve.
I hope we don't get many leaks this time, because i enjoy an unspoiled game show.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

What they do have is a fanbase without a single defined identity, and therefore palatable to greater variety of games. If Uncharted was a Microsoft IP, I doubt it would have sold as well.

What data are you looking at? I'd be willing to bet the PS4 got a bigger bump from Spider-Man than Xbox 1 got from halo 5. Sony put out 5 games that sold better than Halo 5 this gen, Death Stranding will likely make it 6.

Btw, the biggest system seller between Sony or MS this gen wasn't an exclusive, it was the Destiny marketing deal.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need a counter.

People that had no intention of buying Halo aren't going to buy an Xbox for it or avoid a PS5 for not having it.
Exactly, if the Halo mp formula still had that huge appeal to the mass audience outside of the existing fanbase, it would have never been dethroned by other games in the first place. There's a reason why Halo tried to mimmick COD and not the other way around.
Most people seemingly prefer fast twitch-shooters with low TTK or battle royale.
Halo has always been a jack of all trades master of none. CS and RSS are for the tactical+ team crowd. BF is for the crowd who loves big battlefields with lots of players + vehicles, where lack of skill doesn't ruin your experience that much. Arena shooters on PC had a much higher skill ceiling than Halo ever did, so for people who are into that, they should rather pray for a new Quake or UT instead.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this is why Xbox One has more hardware sales than PS4.

The point I'm making is Halo's launch window will ship more Xbox consoles than any game launch Sony would.

That doesn't mean Microsoft will sell more consoles than Sony or vice versa. The crux of the issue is that the fanbase have a greater demand for one IP.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the PS5 will have exclusive games at launch. Just like Sony always does with their new PS launches.

Is this your obligatory Sony can do no wrong comment? The last 2 gens really didn't have big games at launch for Playstation but I guess in reality it doesn't seem to matter.

The point I'm making is Halo's launch window will ship more Xbox consoles than any game launch Sony would.

That doesn't mean Microsoft will sell more consoles than Sony or vice versa. The crux of the issue is that the fanbase have a greater demand for one IP.

Exactly, just like how Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild. Each company wanted to use its big guns to have a strong start whereas with Sony they seem pretty bullet proof no matter what they launch with.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sony will have a pile of super impressive cross gen games out by then. I don't see why halo would look especially better than any of those. If they have an big actual next gen ps5-only game by then, its no comparison.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What data are you looking at? I'd be willing to bet the PS4 got a bigger bump from Spider-Man than Xbox 1 got from halo 5.

mh0pebmr2b021.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

And you would be wrong. Halo doesn't sell at the level Sony's first parties do. Halo has NEVER clocked over 15 million units, and only has 1 entry over ten.

Sony has 5 franchises over ten million copies (Horizon, Spiderman, Uncharted, TLOU, GoW) this generation alone, and Death Stranding will almost certainly make that number 6.

Halo hasn't been a relevant franchise pushing consoles since Halo 3 in 2007. It's been 12 years since then. George W. Bush was in the white house and everyone was still on Myspace the last time that happened.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd say the reason why there's a greater demand for Halo on Xbox is because so few new IP's have been borne from the system this generation.

So yeah, Halo probably is a bigger killer IP when it comes to hardware sales than any one Sony franchise, fair enough.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
GTA6 marketing rights and exclusive side story content for first year. Like they did with Destiny. The fallout will break the internet.

Horizon 2 and TLoU2 will also help.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Is this your obligatory Sony can do no wrong comment? The last 2 gens really didn't have big games at launch for Playstation but I guess in reality it doesn't seem to matter.
FWIW, I've seen him take this stance before this thread or before any mention of games that can compete with Halo. Even if you think Sony's previous hardware didn't have big launch games, they did have exclusives.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's my answer to the question "Will PS5 have exclusives at launch". Yes, it will have exclusives at launch. Just like Sony always does when they launch a new PS.
edit.
I guess you mean the "Halo" part in the thread title? Hm, well maybe Horizon Zero Dawn, which has sold over 10 million copies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
FWIW, I've seen him take this stance before this thread or before any mention of games that can compete with Halo. Even if you think Sony's previous hardware didn't have big launch games, they did have exclusives.

Cross generation games muddies the waters here a bit. TLOU remastered hit not long after the PS4 launch in July 2014. Not at launch, but launch window. It's one of the highest selling games on the platform, still. More than half of the 17 million or so copies TLOU sold were on PS4.

You will see cross generation versions of late gen exclusives (TLOU2, Death Stranding, Horizon?) show up on PS5 if they're not PS5 exclusive.