• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Nintendo make a new Wii Sports title for the Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 152 62.3%

• Total voters

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resorts were huge hits for Nintendo and introduced gaming for millions who hadn't necessarily played games before. For many, they're fun party games that bring people together, or just chill games to relax too.

I was watching a Wii Sports speedrun (lol) and it made me really want to chill out to these games.

I remember there was like initially a free to play version on the Wii U, Wii Sports Club, I think? Then it got a retail release later? But that was on the Wii U. *shrugs*

Even with the Wii Branding, I think it would be unfortunate if Nintendo doesn't make another Wii Sports. I'm sure on the Switch there would be a large market for it. The more interesting thought I wonder is how would Nintendo approach the name of the game?

I am sure if they kept the Wii Branding it would be fine, and Nintendo could get around it. Might cause some slight confusion, hence why I think it would get simply titled Mii Sports, or Switch Sports (Mii sounds better).

What do you think Era? Would you buy a new Wii Sports title for the Switch? I would.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think they will but it would absolutely be a day one purchase for me. Both Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are two of the most fun games of their generation.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Now that the Switch Lite is also in the mix, I don't think Nintendo focus too much on motion controls. While that doesn't kill the chances of a potential "Sports" game on Switch, it does mean it'll be different and feature traditional controls too.

N64dude

Jan 22, 2019
Would be great imo but seems to me Nintendo have been moving away from Miis in recent years from what I've noticed.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: We've been discussing this in the Direct speculation thread over the last few pages and it's a belief shared by many that they should do it and that they eventually will. Nintendo has expressed multiple times that they want to bring more non-traditional games to the system in order to attract a bigger audience of players that don't typically play games. It's why they've published Fit Boxing and Go Vacation outside of Japan and why they've made Labo, Ring Fit Adventure and a new Dr. Kawashima game. Out of all the games released during the Wii/DS era, Wii Sports is the biggest remaining one that they yet to put on the Switch in some form. If they're smart, they will lean heavily into the original's nostalgia while giving a Switch entry its own identity.

Basically, use the trap remix of the Wii Sports theme for Switch Sports.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
To many casual gamers the Wii is less the device itself than Wii Sports games. These are the grandparents, and the people who just picked up the Wii to bowl at parties or whatever but never otherwise think of games, etc.

I'm really not sure how they should brand a switch game in that vein. The Wii name is so important to it!

As I was typing this though I remembered... the Wii name didn't exactly do much for the Wii U. I still think Wii Sports nostalgia would sell some consoles -- it's just getting old enough. These are people who likely would never buy another game on average. Maybe you could pivot them to some DLC or Ring Fit or something.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Absolutely. They should mix together Wii Sports and Wii Play for a Switch multiplayer shebang that allows for both home play and street play.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ring Fit Adventure fills that niche nicely and in a much better way.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6 months ago I would have leaned towards yes, but with Ring Fit Adventure I think the answer is a resounding no

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will, but man I'd love a new Wii Sports. Still play Wii Sports Blowing from time to time.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think it's still a possibility even with RFA and the Lite in the mix, could be a nice short notice end of year title. Plus I really want it.

Jul 4, 2018
I've been wanting this soo long to be honest, there are a few Bowling clones but apparently none of them nail it.

I think with the success of RFA as a successor to Wii Fit I think it's likely we will get a Switch Sport at some point.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah.

Also, I don't think Ring Fit Adventure fills that niche.
Wii Sport isn't really about making actual sport. It's more about an arcade, fun, multiplayer experience that makes you move and probably sweat. But it's not an actual work out.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Mii Sports is a pretty good name actually.

But yes, Wii Sports/Resort/Fit are pretty much the second biggest brand in gaming history but have disappeared.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they just released a Brain Age and Ring Fit Adventure - to great SALES.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
With Ring Fit Adventures and Go Vacation filling the Wii Sports vibe, I don't think Nintendo needs to.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Now that the Switch Lite is also in the mix, I don't think Nintendo focus too much on motion controls. While that doesn't kill the chances of a potential "Sports" game on Switch, it does mean it'll be different and feature traditional controls too.

You can still use joycons on the Lite. It can also be played on tabletop mode. It'd be fine with a Switch Sports.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You have to make the games a bit more "gamey" and they have Ring Fit Adventure for that
What do you mean by this? Like the way they play? They're already gamey.

If they make a sports RPG type game like Mario Tennis on GBC, then that would be amazing. Either way I think Nintendo will do a follow up. This is pretty much sure to be an instant success.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You can still use joycons on the Lite. It can also be played on tabletop mode. It'd be fine with a Switch Sports.

I don't think most Lite owners own Joycons. Number one reason to buy a Switch Lite is it's cheap, no one will give extra 80 bucks just to play ONE game.

There will be optional traditional controls. No harm in having options.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wii Sports with proper content, varied gaming modes and online play would be great. Nintendo simply shouldn't forget the 80M+ userbase from Wii days, the thing was a gargantuan.

Apr 21, 2018
I do wonder if they would try to do "Wii Sports Collection" or something on Switch. Even base Wii Sports + Resort with some of the Wii Sports Club improvements would be amazing and a day 1 purchase for me. We all know the tech is there inside the joy cons.

As much as the Wii brand fell of a cliff, I do feel like the "Wii Sports" brand is still recognizable and beloved.

I do think Nintendo would have internal debates on what would be more successful :

Wii Sports Collection on Switch
or
Switch Sports

I'm torn on what makes more sense myself, but I'd probably have to lean on "Wii Sports" on Switch makes more sense from a brandname perspective, even if it has nothing to do with the Wii, Wii Remote, or Wii U.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Japan is hosting the Olympics this year. I'll be very surprised if they don't release such a game to coincide with it.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'll do that as it won't have the same impact plus Wii is a washed out name especially after the Wii U.

A new game that builds upon it like Ring Fit is what they'll probably do.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Japan is hosting the Olympics this year. I'll be very surprised if they don't release such a game to coincide with it.
Sega already released those last year.

Tokyo-2020-Olympics-Game_04-23-19.jpg

6352166_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

The normal Olympic video game is JP-only for some reason, but all languages are supported.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Absolutely not.
It was made for motion controls first and foremost.

Ring Fit Adventure is the replacement basically.
It's actually exactly fitting the switch as it uses RPG in the mix.

Zg9

Jan 18, 2020
-Nintendo Land
-Wii Play
-Wii Sports
I need something similar from each of those games on Switch.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
why wouldn't they call it Switch Sports
Naming a game after a platform is a bad idea, when Wii died, Wii Sports died too.

Absolutely not.
It was made for motion controls first and foremost.

Ring Fit Adventure is the replacement basically.
It's actually exactly fitting the switch as it uses RPG in the mix.
I don't get it, an RPG is a replacement for a Sports game because they both use motion controls?
Based on RFA they should make a new Sports title that has a career/story mode.

Also we need more Wuhu island.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Naming a game after a platform is a bad idea, when Wii died, Wii Sports died too.

I don't get it, an RPG is a replacement for a Sports game because they both use motion controls?
Based on RFA they should make a new Sports title that has a career/story mode.

Also we need more Wuhu island.
Motion was representing the Wii.
Rpg represents the Switch.

I'm not saying RFA is 1/1 Wii sports of course.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Don't see why not. It wouldn't divert resources away from other projects and would only diversify the Switch's lineup.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It doesn't. People don't know how to make comparisons
People seems to have as much fun as a group in both promotional videos, ha ha.

More seriously. People think "non gaming" games basically, more like plus Wii fit can be seen as exercice since you move while playing.

Far from being the worst comparison really.