• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Nintendo should name its next console "Switch 2"?

• yes

Votes: 337 35.0%
  • no

Votes: 627 65.0%

• Total voters

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before DS/Wii/3DS were one off proprietary techs with dead end family trees. Wii U too if you count its PPC cores. It was very much using customized old tech to fit Nintendo's purposes.

Switch will be the first hardware design Nintendo has had since at least the GameCube era where there is a reasonable path forward from R&D being done on the chipsets the Switch is using. More importantly they have a big GPU manufacturer on their side to design the thing rather than going it alone as they did with the Wii and Wii U.

Tegra X2 SoC and its potential successor remains formidable in the space Switch is operating in given they inherit or will inherit the DNA of the desktop GPUs, a space nvidia dominates. And now that Switch is successful, nvidia and Nintendo have every incentive to do a true next-gen Tegra SoC tailored to conolse/hybrid use with multiple popwer profiles rather than re-purposing a very powerful SoC initially targeted at the mobile space.

I guesstimate Switch Pro needs to be 1.5 -2x the power of the Switch (X2 fits the bill) and a true successor needs to be around 4-6x the power, somehwere in the 1.5 - 2 TF range (Nvidia flops, so probably much closer to 2.0-3 TF when comparing to the current AMD consoles) though naturally a next-gen tegra will be several generations more advanced architecturally as well when comparing the PS4 or XONE

The sky is the limit and to be honest, the only people who can fuck this up is Nintendo.

Last edited:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
It didn't work for the Wii U, it will work even less well now with a smaller mindshare among general consumers

If they're doing a hard pivot with a totally new console family, they'd be better off indicating that with a totally new name.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How about Nintendo do something totally out of character for them...and name it Switch 2.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't think just want to name it '2', but also wants to avoid the case of Wii U (though unlike most, I personally think it failed for other reasons besides the name). The following guesses seem like the most mild but distinctive.

Switch II
Switch+
Switch v2
Switch N (or any other random edgy letter from the alphabet, though avoiding X and P and U)

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
They should just keep it simple and call it:
Nintendo sWitch.

And then after that they would have
Nintendo swItch

and then
Nintendo swiTch

and then
Nintendo switCh.

The further along in the word the capital letter is the more powerful the thing is. Apple figured this out long ago.
I personally can't wait for the new ipHone later this year

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Super Switch is pretty much perfect. It's fun to say, and conveys that this is a new device in the same vein as the Switch - as in, it switches - while still clearly indicating that it's a successor, rather than an accessory or alternative. People still remember the NES/SNES well enough - particularly after the SNES Classic - so it won't be confusing.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Do you mean the redesign or the successor (the one we will see in 6-8 years)?

Idk how much the industry will evolve in 6-8 years, according to Guillemot next generation of consoles could be the last one for real because streaming will become a thing.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"The Nintendo". Every 90's parent's and grandparent's name for any video game system will finally be official.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They will not break from their current platform, something like Switch S, and a third Switch in 6 to 8 years would be called Switch S2 more like how phone brands work.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Switch Pro / XL if you are talking about mid gen refresh.

If its a true successor, calling it Switch 2 is a safe bet, doubt they want to go with Switch U.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They will not break from their current platform, something like Switch S, and a third Switch in 6 to 8 years would be called Switch S2 more like how phone brands work.

Here's a challenge for us bored forum dwellers. How do you think they'll brand the Switch going forward

1) add Super / Advanced/ Plus or + to the Switching Branding
2) add a letter like S
3) follow Apple/Sony and go with Pro for the super verison/ Air/Slim for the smaller version / 1,2,34 for the sequel verisons

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We should think first if the next console iteration will also be a hybrid like the Switch. Otherwise, the Switch naming brand does not make sense.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a successor, call it Switch 2. If it's a redesign/lite-version, then call it Switch Plus. Not original but it would do the job.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds pretty expensive.
I mean in 2023 not really? There are already phones with 8-10GBs and faster 8 core CPUs. Tegra should scale up to 2-3TFs over die shrinks or close to it.

If foldable screens take off like they may with Galaxy Fold coming out soon, costs will come down. It's already rumored that the foldable 7.3 inch 1440p+ OLED screen costs $150ish. So by 2022-23, should be much cheaper especially for 1080p, which will probably be as cheap as 720p 6 inch screen today.

It may not but I see no reason why it wouldn't cost more than $300, other than the folding screen not coming down as quick in price then just swap it for a regular screen

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a challenge for us bored forum dwellers. How do you think they'll brand the Switch going forward

1) add Super / Advanced/ Plus or + to the Switching Branding
2) add a letter like S
3) follow Apple/Sony and go with Pro for the super verison/ Air/Slim for the smaller version / 1,2,34 for the sequel verisons
First they need to brand the OS. Whatever they call that doesn't really matter too much, but that is what they can brand the games with. I joke about calling the Switch "2", Switch FX, and calling the Tegra chip they use in the next Switch, Tegra FX. Then they can call the one after that FX2 and name the consoles FX2 as well.

Switch FX being their sequel to the Switch, also inherits that it is still a Switch, but offers new abilities. I also think the double letters can separate different modules of the Switch, like Switch VR, so it is easier to keep with a single branding. We will see what they ultimately do though, I mean they did name a new line of 3DS, "New" so lets not assume they will do anything too perfect.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch 2, Super Switch, something like that. I worked at a game store during the Wii to Wii U and DS to 3ds transition and you would not believe the amount of people who had no idea they were next gen consoles.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Absolutely. Nintendo needs to stick with something. I worry about them trying to go off and do something unique again that may or may not work.