• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker 2 is absolutely guaranteed to take several GOTYs. #1 spot from Giant Bomb is a given.
dmx-smiling-7-compressed.jpg

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
There are only 3 series that can win GOTY awards and that's Zelda, Mario and Metroid. That's it. Unless they come out with some amazing new IP (and Splatoon does match this criteria and even it didn't win GOTY) that is designed for core gamers. Or is very good story wise and is mechanically a copy of a Sony game or a Fromsoft game (and Nintendo doesn't make those types of games at all so fat chance of that).

So basically, no, they don't have GOTY contender this year, but they do have a stacked lineup of good games.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
No, but if I were to guess, Super Mario Maker 2 will get more GOTYs than all the other games combined.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Rest assured either Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or Animal Crossing will be my personal GOTY. The actual winner at TGA will probably be Days Gone or some shit.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they have something we don't know about which is unlikely then straight up no. None of their games this year will be a GOTY contender. Animal Crossing never has been and Pokemon is just going to be more of the same old formula based on that trailer we saw.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
So you are saying that AC, a game we have seen nothing about, has more chances than say Fire Emblem and Pokémon? Lol

In all fairness what they have shown of both Pokémon and Fire Emblem has killed any chance of either having GotY potential. Production values matter for GotY contenders

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, no way that's happening. I think you are overestimating the positive reaction Astral Chain would get. We haven't seen much of the game yet, but chances are it is not the next Nier Automata and will probably end up being a solid but kinda niche game that lands in the low 80s and gets forgotten by the time GOTY awards start being rolled out.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
My goty predictions for The Game Awards are:

Resident Evil 2
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order*
Sekiro
Dreams*
The Outer Worlds*

*these games aren't out, however based on their genre, pre-release information, and buzz they fit in with the kind of games that get nominees

There are other GOTY candidates that we don't know about - maybe even from Nintendo. I'm seeing this being a 2013 Nintendo - a lot of big acclaimed games, but no big GOTY contender types.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There sure are some people in here with a lot of faith in Borderlands 3. Borderlands 2 won some but if it couldn't beat out Walking Dead and Journey what makes any of you think Borderlands 3 is going to beat out games like RE2, Sekiro, and DMC5? Not to mention if TLOU P2 really does drop this Fall.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it. So far I think it'll be between Sekiro, RE2, DMC5, Ori and if either of them release in full, Dreams or TLOU2. Gears 5 might be in the running if it returns to form too.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
For Western GotY it'll be whatever violent AAA game comes out this fall.

For me, Pokémon, AC, and SMM2 could take my personal spot. Pokémon is typically hard to top for me though, XY and SM were my favorite games of those years.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a year where Nintendo will release something that is a major contender for most outlets. It seems like they'll have great games, but probably not one that will be widely considered GOTY unless one of their projects really surprises or they have a major unannounced game. Nintendo's standard GOTY franchises seem to mostly be Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

On the topic of Super Mario Maker 2, I suspect Dreams will be ahead of it in most discussions and steal its thunder.

Depending on how it's executed, I could see Astral Chain being a game that gets some nods.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
personally? yes
astral chain, links awakening or animal crossing will probably end up being goty for me

critically? Not a chance

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
My goty predictions for The Game Awards are:

Resident Evil 2
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order*
Sekiro
Dreams*
The Outer Worlds*

*these games aren't out, however based on their genre, pre-release information, and buzz they fit in with the kind of games that get nominees

There are other GOTY candidates that we don't know about - maybe even from Nintendo. I'm seeing this being a 2013 Nintendo - a lot of big acclaimed games, but no big GOTY contender types.

Pretty solid prediction list.

If we are including unannounced games though Dying Light 2, Watchdogs 3 and Control based on previews will also be in that conversation. ORI might also get a mention.

Would be shocked to see EA get any awards so Star Wars is out and RE2 is a remake so they don't usually get awards

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My main takeaway from this thread is the OP calling the new Pokemon, games he's seen literally minutes of, trash. Jesus

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
A lot of good games, but 9/10's won't really get you a GotY, which those games are at best.

Mario Maker has the best chance depending on how detailed it is.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably play more Animal Crossing and Pokemon than anything else this year, but those games aren't GOTY tier. More like iterative popcorn entertainment. There are much more interesting releases this year already and more coming up.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
None of the games you've listed are gunning for Game of the Year awards and that isn't a weakness, it's a strength.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Maker, Animal Crossing, Pokémon and even Fire Emblem are all series that have a crazy amount of content and longevity. Even if none is a game of the year, will you really care as long as you enjoy at least 1 or 2 of those titles?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I've just come back from the future, and can confirm that Fire Emblem is my GOTY. Lol.

But you're right (weird numeric rankings aside) that Ninty is probably putting a game on The Game Awards' overall GOTY list this year. Maybe Pokemon or Animal Crossing gets a nod; but even then I kinda doubt it.

That's not the end of the world, of course. Indeed, the very fact that they made a Consensus Game of the Year with BOTW - a distinction that is heavily Western-biased, and was last achieved by a Japanese game in 2005 (Resident Evil 4) - is still incredible to me, two years later.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about the Game Awards.

I could see Animal Crossing being in the nominations if it impresses and isn't just a slightly better looking New Leaf.

Otherwise I expect Astral Chain to be a somewhat cult hit that might not get the same recognition as DMC5 (if it's as good). Pokemon will probably just be pokemon again so that's out of the cards. Either way it doesn't matter all that much. I'm sure like 4-5 nintendo exclusives will end up in the top 15 Resetera GOTY list.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
They don't have to, what matters are hardware and software sales
What's important is not good games, but making sure Nintendo makes money? Lmao

On topic, yes they have possible goty contenders. Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening will absolutely get nominations and awards. Maybe Astral Chain if it's equal to Nier Automata.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Pretty solid prediction list.

If we are including unannounced games though Dying Light 2, Watchdogs 3 and Control based on previews will also be in that conversation. ORI might also get a mention.

Would be shocked to see EA get any awards so Star Wars is out and RE2 is a remake so they don't usually get awards
My argument for Star Wars is that Titanfall 2 was nominated for GOTY at the 2016 TGAs (Respawn having GOTY cred), and that prestige third person action games like God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Naughty Dog games etc. are GOTY material at these awards. Also, it's pretty isolated from the EA conversation given it's a singleplayer no microtransactions no live service game.

RE2 is interchangable with DMCV as the Capcom candidate but I feel that at least one of them is getting nominated.

Oct 26, 2017
The majority of what Nintendo makes doesn't exactly fit in with what most sites give their GotY Awards to, save for perhaps Zelda but even that is very far removed from your typical GotY contenders. They'll have plenty of my favorite games of the year, one of which I'm expecting to be my personal GotY, but none of them have even the slightest shot of winning more than a handful of awards. GotY awards tend to lean towards your big narrative / cinematic driven adventure games, not strategy games or 2D platformers, hencewhy it's been so long since a Japanese title even won the majority of GotY awards. That being said, that's not particularly important as many of the biggest and most popular games don't win them and hardly anyone will truly care if, say, Animal Crossing doesn't win an award

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly does this mean? What's the GOTY bait of videogames?

In 2019? Large sweeping adventure games like Horizon or Breath of the Wild. These kind of games are fantastic and invaluable but fun casual games, niche games, and platformers are invaluable too. Sony is organized specifically to output games like the ones I described, every year. Nintendo can shake things up with Mario and Zelda, but not every year. Not proposing anything controversial, just that games like Animal Crossing and Mario Maker are undervalued, and that's fine.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It really chaps my ass that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's release timing excluded it from so many 2018 lists, and it will likely be completely ignored by 2019 lists, as well. That game is just such a monumental achievement -- truly a once-in-a-generation celebration that will nary get recognized at all comes awards season. It's a fucking shame.

That aside, though I think Nintendo as a publisher is going to have a banger of a year in 2019, I don't think their releases will get a whole lot of awards season play. By and large, those lists tend toward massive, big-budget, often cinematic single-player focused experiences (edit: yeah, like Robin said as I was typing), and Nintendo's lineup doesn't really have that this year. They'll get plenty of category nods as they're hitting up so many genres in 2019 and I imagine Pokemon Sword and Shield and Mario Maker 2 will get a few overall game of the year noms, but I bet it's the rare list that has a Nintendo-published game take game of the year honors.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
My argument for Star Wars is that Titanfall 2 was nominated for GOTY at the 2016 TGAs (Respawn having GOTY cred), and that prestige third person action games like God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Naughty Dog games etc. are GOTY material at these awards. Also, it's pretty isolated from the EA conversation given it's a singleplayer no microtransactions no live service game.

RE2 is interchangable with DMCV as the Capcom candidate but I feel that at least one of them is getting nominated.

I think your points are valid. Third person cinematic action games are GotY awards bait. Combine that with Respawn being a prestige studio and it's a perfectly logical conclusion to come to.

My issue with EA isn't the micro transactions in this case but rather skepticism of their approval process' ability to let interesting writing reach consumers. The last EA game with interesting writing was Mass Effect 3. Combine that with general Star Wars fatigue and a potentially controversial film releasing at the same time and to me it seems like an honerable mention rather then a contender.

It will definitely be a fantastic game though

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they've got the absolute best overall lineup out of any publisher this year, but nothing that would win goty awards.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
In 2019? Large sweeping adventure games like Horizon or Breath of the Wild. These kind of games are fantastic and invaluable but fun casual games, niche games, and platformers are invaluable too. Sony is organized specifically to output games like the ones I described, every year. Nintendo can shake things up with Mario and Zelda, but not every year. Not proposing anything controversial, just that games like Animal Crossing and Mario Maker are undervalued, and that's fine.

Ah, I see what you mean. Well, Giantbomb will definitely give Mario Maker 2 its due if it's good.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Nah none of them will be GOTY but that wont matter to me cause they will be the most played games for me personally. Those games just arent what major game press hails as GOTY and it's fine I dont expect that to ever change.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Personally. I don't think "GOTY" is all that important.

Just take a look of what usually wins these awards overall. It's very slanted towards a specific genre.

I think it's narrow minded to look at Nintendo's upcoming games and try to see what can win GOTYs.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a terrible OP. The discussion is worth having but giving scores to games you don't know anything about its just ridiculous. What is wrong with you?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
No I don't. Had Nintendo ever had a Goty other than Mario or Zelda? Maybe Metroid Prime?

Mario Maker 2 will be big but it's not Goty stuff imo. Unless Astral Chain turns out to be a magnificent game, Bayonetta 2 levels and above, then maybe but I don't see it.