• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think sizes will become smaller

• Yes

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It's a good dream

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been thinking lately, we know current gen games will be playable on the next-gen games. My issue is some games are extremely big as of right now. The last of us part 2 will be 100gb so far day 1. Call of duty modern warfare is getting close to 200gb. My question is with faster ssd can that condense the size of file sizes? As well, having new ssd this fast i'll be much more expensive to get a bigger internal or external harddrive. Think about having a brand new consoles and having call of duty mordern warfare on it takinh up one fifth of your console. And also keep in mind as well, ps5 won't come with a full 1tb harddrive either. I expect new games will have big download sizes but older games need a way to condense their sizes.
Im feeling it won't happen but being optimistic that some type of condensed procedure happens.
What do you guys and gals think?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, UHD discs can store up to 100GB. Devs will fill those discs at some point.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
My assumption, which may well be wrong, is that compression has to be factored in the game's development so a faster SSD won't make a difference to current gen games in terms of size.

I'm just gonna get an external drive for BC titles anyway.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Just to clarify, the OP is asking if compression techniques will reduce the size of current gen games, not ones going forward.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Game sizes, no. I doubt patches will either, but I've always considered it a possibility, since the reason they are so big despite being updates to only the code side of the game rather than the actual assets, the problem has been copying and pasting the entire assets back into the game with the new implementation, rather than implementing methods of altering the code without having to touch the assets themselves. Theoretically, at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if possible, I imagine it would take some work from developers. Is that really something that would happen?

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Maybe. There'll be better compression it seems (at least for PS5 related to PS4) and less duplicated files because of SSDs instead of HDDs, but I don't know if they could apply those changes to if when a game is installed on a next gen console instead of a current one

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A few innovations about the new consoles can result in overall smaller game sizes.

Yes, I'm hedging, lol.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The install size could be slower if more games let the user download the single-player / multi-player components seperately.