• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think next-gen console pricing will influence high-end GPU pricing?

• Yes, AMD will be influenced

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Yes, Nvidia will be influenced

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Yes, both AMD and Nvidia will be influenced

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • No, both AMD and Nvidia will be unaffected

Votes: 72 50.3%
  • Crypto miners have ruined GPU pricing

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Wait, what about Intel - they have a GPU, right?

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Two new consoles are on the horizon with good specs, and two new GPUs are on the horizon as well. Stars are aligning.

Do you think AMD and/ or Nvidia will be influenced by Sony's and Microsoft's eventual console pricing?

Oct 29, 2017
As of late not even mid-range gpu pricing affects the price of the high-end ones. AMD and Nvidia have been micromanaging the hell out a $50 gap in the the $300 and $400 market and yet the 2080ti is still at its launch price.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I think so but but not as much as it needs to, I think that's why nvidia is rumored to be bringing back the 90 designation. They are going to try and create more categories from top to bottom and only focus on rtx cards, more non rt cards. Amd will be more price conscious vs nvidia over the consoles but you won't see there 10tf card being 700 or something crazy it'll probably be directly in line with ps5 pricing or just below by around $50. Same for the 12tf card.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
With the way things have trended recently (as in, the last 6 years or so) I'm skeptical. I expect an Nvidia GPU comparable to the console ones to run $400. A touch less for AMD. And that's going to be "midrange," like a 3060. Or 3040/3050 if they get rid of the Ti/Super designations and shift everything down. High end will probably start at $600-700 and go from there. 3090 will probably be over $1000 like the 2080 Ti.

Hope my pessimistic outlook isn't reality.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. The kind of people who pay premium for % points of gains with high end cards usually don't even consider consoles, and Nvidia and AMD know this. I think the only thing that will influence prices is AMD's new cards and how they compare to the equivalent Nvidia offering. The better the competition, the better pricing we will get across board.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
nope, 0 competition means prices going to be high as can be

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they?

Gaming is a small part of Nvidia's pricing and market. I don't know about AMD but they usually make affordable cards as it is. Consoles don't influence anything unless it's ram modules or something where phones, consoles, etc are taking all of them and PC ram raise in price due to supply.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yes, that's why I bought my current GPU shortly after the PS4 Pro launched. GPU prices adjust to the performance brackets set by consoles.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
There needs to be a third player to give healthier competition to the GPU market. Intel needs to step up. Three players in the console space seem to be doing fine with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft keeping prices in check, yet doing their own thing.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Probably more down to what AMD does more than anything. NVIDIA GPUs are used for many other applications than games: AI, crypto, rendering stations, healthcare and medical. Just visit their website to see how diverse their offerings are. AMD has some impressive GPUs out currently that are also priced very well, except they don't have innovative forward looking tech, which will hopefully be resolved in the next gen GPUs. If the next gen AMD GPUs are also priced well, then NVIDIA's hand will be forced. Consoles are probably not in their equation as a thing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah but i'd say it'll be like 1/8th of a factor. "teh platform warz" is mostly inconsequential to the GPU market

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. As long as PC master race crowds are willing to continue to shell out $$$ for top-end GPU, manufacturers will continue to charge $$$ regardless of console market.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
No hardcore PC people will be switching to consoles as their main platform. Nvidia and AMD know this.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
No hardcore PC people will be switching to consoles as their main platform. Nvidia and AMD know this.

but i read some vague PR blurb about how my favorite console will eliminate load times and do my taxes and stuff

most households will have ps5s instead of PCs i'd imagine

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
for me it's not a matter of switching long term as much as switching temporarily. If there is only one or two major releases soonish I don't need to upgrade immediately or in this group of cards if I'll need to pay such a ridiculous premium with cards released at the same time as brand new consoles. The next gen of cards I wouldnt mind but at that point I'd wait 1-3 years after consoles are released for that group.

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia DGAF. They're going to price at whatever they want to, then withhold a secret GPU to undercut AMD's release. Every time.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
nope, the people who are going to be buying into new gpu's when they arrive will do so regardless of the price and amd and nvidia know this all to well

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think y'all are too pessimistic. nVidia even noted that Turing had slow adoption rates - that's part of the reason that they did the Super line, which was essentially dropping the SKUs down a pricing tier, and underclocking them a bit.

If a $500 Xbox is gonna have a GPU batting for par with a $700 nVidia one, I'm pretty sure they're going to be forced to fix their price-per-performance.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think y'all are too pessimistic. nVidia even noted that Turing had slow adoption rates - that's part of the reason that they did the Super line, which was essentially dropping the SKUs down a pricing tier, and underclocking them a bit.

If a $500 Xbox is gonna have a GPU batting for par with a $700 nVidia one, I'm pretty sure they're going to be forced to fix their price-per-performance.
You're being way too optimistic. NVIDIA prices will either stay the same or be higher imo

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
No it's never really been the case. If anything Nvidia pricing may go up. If you want the best gaming experience the best GPU still tops. And I'll still buy the mid-high tier card like always

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
No, nvidia knows they can squeeze pc players. They have no where else to go if they want the top of the top. Only people that will influence the GPU pricing is if AMD has a compelling product.

Why do you think nvidia charges $1000+ for a 2080ti. And you arent going to find a non crappy version of the 2080ti for $1000

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No. Nvidia will just charge whatever the fuck they want because they know suckers will pay. AMD have to price them more reasonably to compete.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Crypto mining has slow down and the 3000 series will probably match power consumption of AMD's GPU. Maybe we can be optimistic regarding the price.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No, nvidia knows they can squeeze pc players. They have no where else to go if they want the top of the top. Only people that will influence the GPU pricing is if AMD has a compelling product.

Why do you think nvidia charges $1000+ for a 2080ti. And you arent going to find a non crappy version of the 2080ti for $1000

I don't think the bolded even matters. People will buy Nvidia even if it's $200 more for the same performance as an AMD card. That's why AMD gave up undercutting and has the 5000 series basically priced at parity.

Nov 8, 2017
The overall production cost is what Nvidia's desired sale price will scale with, and competition from AMD is what would make them shrink their margins. The soft cap on pricing is the point at which their sales slow to an unacceptable level.

Elaborating on point one above - If the production cost on Ampere was half that of Turing, Nvidia would cut prices (not by half, but by a fair degree, pocketing the rest in extra margin). They want to increase sales volume, one because it will produce higher overall profits to a certain point, and another because when the market expands, that's more people who will become future customers (if prices/margins go up again), and another because being a higher volume customer means better deals and preference from the foundries. Turing prices went up not because Nvid incerased margins on them dramatically, but because their production prices went up, and they wished to maintain roughly equivalent margin on them compared to Pascal. This meant depressed overall sales gen on gen.

Point two and three - Nvidia won't accept lower margins unless sales become totally unacceptable, or more likely until they are forced to in order to maintain a competitive position in the market versus AMD dGPUs. Nvidia will temporarily accept reduced profits in order to maintain market share (within an elastic threshold). But if their marketshare is not threatened, then they will instead keep raking in the cash.

The new consoles will not, themselves, cause them to drop their prices. If anything, anxiety surrounding the performance of the consoles will push more people to upgrade if they can.

Last edited: