• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Naughty Dog will deliver comparable AI and animation quality in the final build?

• Yes

Votes: 546 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 32.4%
  • I need to see more

Votes: 216 19.1%

• Total voters

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Uncharted 4 wasn't like the teaser but if you compare the E3 presentation with the final game, they actually did an upgrade.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I've not seen this in the final game or in any pre release demo.

At 10 minutes 49 seconds into the video.

Edit: And I have seen that combat animation video, I've also seen a more comprehensive one. The wall slam and desk smash animations exist in the game but I've never seen them connected by a transitional animation of dragging an enemy from the wall to the desk.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 wasn't like the teaser but if you compare the E3 presentation with the final game, they actually did an upgrade.

I felt they handled Uncharted 4 demos really well after realising they were overreaching with the 60fps teaser. The first gameplay reveal at PSX looks noticably worse than the final game for example.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

At 10 minutes 49 seconds into the video.

Edit: And I have seen that combat animation video, I've also seen a more comprehensive one. The wall slam and desk smash animations exist in the game but I've never seen them connected by a transitional animation of dragging an enemy from the wall to the desk.

Thanks, just saw the video. I have seen Joel being grabbed from behind/neck but I don't recall this happening from a covering position.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
It'll be like AC Odyessy, you make some moves but once in awhile the system takes over showing a sweet move, I'm okay with that. AC fooled me for awhile,thinking I pulled off these moves, but dying and replaying them showed they were scripted, but covered up well on first play.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
animation quality and attention to detail and gore probably yes, not sure about the perfect pixar quality blending tho.
advanced IA? nah

they can still use the weak excuse that an advanced IA is not fun to battle against even when one of the selling point of their reveal gameplay is indeed the advanced IA (same story as tlou1)

yeah i'm a bit harsh but after tlou they don't have my complete trust about IA...

also, how can you make a topic about the incredible features of tlou2 without the most impressive gif by far
YFFP314.gif

this guy is more realistic than kratos and he is a fucking regular enemy...
Imo, this is the most questionable part of the demo. Simply because this scene lead directly to cutscene where he talk back to Ellie, Ellie kill him with rotating camera leading directly back to the kiss scene. Make it more like part of story cutscene rather than part of gameplay demo. Everything else, I believe ND could do it.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No, particularly that first gif with the push + other person coming right in. In practice I don't see the AI working together that well and being a bit more awkward / stitled when it comes to approaching the player.

Yeah, this type of coordination in close proximity just seems so far off. Imagine if ND manages to develop similar AI behaviour for the final build.

Feb 10, 2018
Yes, but the majority of play throughs will not look like that.
I also expect the colour tone and other effects to change like it did with UC4

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Animations 100%, their motion matching system from what I understand should really help with this.
Regarding the AI it remains to be seen, I really hope it will.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

This.

How long are we going to hold on to that 60fps Uncharted demo? They showed UC4 more times after that reveal, and with long demos.

If you wanna compare reveals then compare TLOU part II's initial reveal to the final game.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the vertical slice is heavily scripted and a lot of it will be largely pared back on the release build. The game will still be something special regardless.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Until I have the retail copy, I won't believe a word they say.

/thread

Honestly, the TLOU2 combat we've seen so far looks just too good be true.
Example:

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/GIF-35a1a2cd2a8616c75.gif

I have no idea how they you can perform these "mini dodges" on a PS4 controller. The camera turns away from the melee attacker and Ellie does a "mini dodge", bending slightly backwards, to avoid the first arrow. Plus another "mini dodge" while she's charging at the archer. Whole gif doesn't feel like actual gameplay too me.
Regarding Ellie's melee attacks, they look more like finisher moves in apex than free flowing melee combat.

IMO NaughtyDog are great and I believe that TLOU2 will be amazing, but I call BULLSHOT on the E3 footage.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
What I don't expect will be in the final product:
- the finely tuned cinematic camera angles that snap perfectly in place to maximise the effect of Ellie being thrown around over the furniture
- the way the enemy reacted and lingered at the end for the final blow when Ellie repeatedly shot him with the arrows
- the illusion that the game will have a lot of dynamism for how collision interacts with furniture/etc in the game. I expect those stuff to be rather limited (only for specific locations/furniture/collision object type have specific animation prompts ) or more simplistic like how most AAA games have breakable objects that literally explode into pieces upon the slightest collision.

Everything else I think it'll be there.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It will not look like the demo we've seen because that's heavily staged and scripted to show off everything of the game. But I absolutely believe the visual quality, animation, and the AI will be of a similar level of quality. Sony's output this generation has generally been fantastic at matching or even exceeding the detail seen in their preview demos. (60fps claims notwithstanding)

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Comparable? Yes.
The same? Probably not.

It will be worse in some spots and better in others.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason to doubt them. They do the best animation in the business.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
At the most, I see the animation being really high quality. The illusion will be much more telling once we see the cogs and systems.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Honestly AI still doesn't feel better in new games than it was in Half-Life 1 or F.E.A.R, so no....

Animation maybe, they have done amazing things in the past.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I am extremely skeptical. That demo in particular feels very meticulous handcrafted with the way Ellie seems to lightly dodge things and how NPCs bump into furniture and the very specific facial expressions and kill animations...

If it's legit though... good God...

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Of course it won't but we have no reason to doubt the animation work would be on par. Motion matching seems to be the number one thing they're pushing with the game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Ehhh......I don't know

Even If it doesn't the ND fans will just pretend like it's the best looking game ever and accuse people of being ungrateful for calling out the downgrade.

ND fans during E3: ''Oh my god this is the most insane graphix and animations I've seen in a video game! Naught GODS! This is next gen!!!''

ND fans after retail: ''You guys are fucking unbelievable, this is literally the best game ever made and y'all are complaining about the downgrades?''

Nope. Never trust a showing like that.

Yeah...I'd rather be surprised than disappointed.

Last edited:

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Elements of the animation are so artificial and gamey as to lend the showing credibility. That third .gif in particular - take note of the way the woman's arrows all burst out of her quiver at once, and how Ellie sheathes her machete (without looking, I might add!) in one perfectly fluid motion, like she's Ryu Hayabusa.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of course, though that part won't play the same in the full game as they've crafted it to specifically show what they want.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
It comes down to the testing. In the documentary about making TLOU they go into how even in the leadup to release they had to massively tweak AI because it just wasn't fun when stuff would go down and everyone just murdered you immediately.

Timecode 1:38 or so

This is the same thing that happened even in Half Life 1 & 2 with regards to some boss fight - one which was paired down (the big claw things), and the other that was completely removed because it was just destroy the player (the snake monster).

Making super smart / elaborate AI doesn't always translate to fun and compelling gameplay. Even some of the AI routines that we often celebrate as some of the best / coolest / etc. like in FEAR, HL1/2, and certain Halo entries come down to tweaking them so you have a better time engaging in combat with them.

This is correct. Lot of stuff is pared down for the sake of fun. Lot of technically good things don't make sense in a game environment. A good example is RDR, the level of realism there sometimes make the gave unresponsive and tedious. Devs have to strike a balance between them.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Yes, Naughty Gods will deliver. Played TLoU thousand of times and every time it was a lil bit different and fresh.
It all depends how are you going to play the game.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The Lost Legacy didn't even upgraded in terms of Nadine's AI stealth.

She's just like Ellie; invincible to enemies' eyes.

While we still don't know Part II would also have partner AI or not, but I hope ND could do more realistically rather than immersion breaking.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I doubt it.

Animation... maybe. AI... no.

Parts of that gameplay video just scream scripting to me. Like when the enemies enter the ruined shop that Ellie is hiding in. They stack up at the doorway, then enter in a coordinated manner. One of them even gives a hand signal to go in. I have trouble believing that will be possible in live gameplay.

I'll be happy if they prove me wrong though.

why? Sounds like a perfect location for scripted AI. And scripting doesn't mean it isn't AI. Player is in a room, you send the enemies in through the door, trigger some 'tactical' hand wavy nonsense and you get the same effect. Pretty sure I've seen similar in many games.

AI is something they actually had to tone down from TLOU so I'm sure they'll tune based on gameplay but they have the ability to have very smart enemies.

Animation-wise, the reactions/motion matching is the big thing (axe guy reaction). I'm sure they showed it in its best light - triggering the reaction at the best moment. So some situations it might not be as smooth but it'll be there. Other stuff seems like a natural evolution of the contextual animations they had in TLOU - you attack/push against a window/ledge/table and it'll trigger a contextual head smash etc.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Legacy didn't even upgraded in terms of Nadine's AI stealth.

She's just like Ellie; invincible to enemies' eyes.

While we still don't know Part II would also have partner AI or not, but I hope ND could do more realistically rather than immersion breaking.

While it looks a bit odd, I don't want a character I'm not controlling to fuck things up for me. I prefer gameplay to take precedence over realism in that situation

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
While it looks a bit odd, I don't want a character I'm not controlling to fuck things up for me. I prefer gameplay to take precedence over realism in that situation

I could imagine if Ellie was kinda like Ashley...

More simplified: Joel could give her orders to hide, follow, lay down, & at the same time she could also still throwing bricks whatnot.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Lol and stop using scripted as it is something bad. Everything in a game is scripted. This is not some simulation running on supercomputers.