• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of Monster Hunter- I got in at Tri, and bought both versions of 3 Ultimate at release and spent probably around 400 hours on those games. Since then I've held off because of other responsibilities and tons of other games I wanted to try out. I picked up World yesterday and got a bit into it, I'm having a lot of fun, but can really see the QoL improvements and elements they changed to make the game more accessible to a larger crowd. The game does feel easier, but I have a history with the franchise, so I'm not expecting it to be too challenging overall. Lots of other people online think the game is not made with veterans in mind- imo, just fanboys complaining because thats what fanboys do, but I do wonder if there is any validity to their complaints or are they just nostalgic for the more obscure, unintuitive aspects of the game. From my understanding is that there was no G-rank before Iceborn. Does the expansion alleviate their complaints? How valid were the complaints in the first place? Did capcom do a good job balancing the interest of their core followers while trying to get new people into the game?

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The group of friends I am playing this game with consists of newcomers (like me) and veterans alike and we are all having tons of fun, so I'd say they succeded.

Oct 25, 2017
It's as successful as it could possibly be I think.

Veteran MH players have some points that make a lot of sense but I think the vast majority of them can agree it was worth shedding a lot of stuff to create a new standard moving forward not bound on very weak hardware

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
it's literally the textbook example of how to please everyone. Can't believe they pulled it off.
The game translated flawlessly to HD, I don't think they'll ditch Nintendo hardware in the future but if they can put all their efforts into making MH World the mainline franchise from now on, I doubt a lot of people would be upset.

OP
OP
TrueSloth

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
The group of friends I am playing this game with consists of newcomers (like me) and veterans alike and we are all having tons of fun, so I'd say they succeded.
Sure, I guess my next thought is, what makes a monster hunter game fun? Is it the thrill of a hunt and being able to take down a big beast, or the challenge behind it? If someone doesnt find the game super challenging, whats more important? I definitely think there is an addictiveness to their loot/reward system.

Fallen92

Oct 26, 2017
California
The vanilla game was a little lacking for veterans but that's how the other base games like tri were. Iceborne has definitely added a lot of stuff that makes both veterans and newcomers happy since it's just more of what everyone loves, monsters and armor. As long as they continue to support and add more monsters and systems to the game then even diehard veterans will eventually come around to playing world. Given Capcom's track record with the older monster hunter games, I can't wait to see how they'll improve on the formula for the sequel to world.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
This game literally roped me and my other 4 friends in, none of us having played a Monster Hunter game in the past. Capcom did a great job.

Just wish they didn't stagger the release of Iceborne so long

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's as successful as it could possibly be I think.

Veteran MH players have some points that make a lot of sense but I think the vast majority of them can agree it was worth shedding a lot of stuff to create a new standard moving forward not bound on very weak hardware
The need to watch a cutscene before you can coop a quest is still a problem.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on its sales figures relative to earlier games in the series it's probably the most successful game franchise re-invention/re-introduction of all time other than maybe CoD4 depending on how you describe that game. Or maybe God of War 2018.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Overall, I'd say, they certainly. From this vet's POV, I would say the main thing that I think World Iceborne still lacks, and I what I would hope any immediate follow-ups would address basically boils down to two main things:

1) More diversity in the monster roster. Thank Gog the most recent update added Rajang, as it was at least a nice change of pace to get a Fanged Beast, as opposed to yet another flying or brute wyvern to a roster that already has plenty from those camps represented. I'm not expecting miracles to the tune of Najarala, Lagiacrus, Mizutsune, Nerscylla or Seltas Queen at this point in time, but it'll at least do my heart good if December's update added someone else that utilized a unique skeleton and wasn't something like say, Khezu (another Flying Wyvern) or worse, something like Oroshi Kirin.

2) Better end game loop. Guiding Lands grinding is a much better thing than what was in base World, but it's still very annoying that a lot of what you want to aim for is even more at the mercy of RNG than the likes of Charms were, a generation ago. Near 600 hours of game later, and I STILL don't have a number of decos I've needed for some sets, let alone any new ones I'm making now.

I'd also add that "cutscene mandate" that someone else already covered above, and for them to finally just add at least 1-2 new weapon types. It seems like between the likes of Styles/Arts in Generations and the Clutch Claw in Iceborne, they're really dragging their feet when it comes to just adding in something actually new.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Haven't gotten to iceborne yet, but as a veteran who's played every Western release since MHFU, even the base game was a great start. Yes, it lacked some of the challenge (though I'd argue the series has gotten consistently easier and much of the challenge of MHG was the crap inherent in fighting old monsters) of G rank, but I expected that.

The endgame wasn't amazing, either, but the content updates were good enough to keep me entertained.

I've gotten many friends who have never played MH to jump in, and they are all on board for the expansion. The vets I play with are nearly across the board extremely satisfied, even with the issues we had with the difficulty and endgame of the base game.

Can't wait for iceborne PC. Hopefully as Gen 5 continues we get more variety (give me insects!) as well.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yes. It was great at introducing mechanics and ways to play throughout the game, but without the absolutely awful turotial 'grab 5 mushroom' missions i remember there being in the first few games, just jumped you right into thr action.

Also fixing the UI and info to be more helpful, also not having to craft whetstone was great.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the base game was very good as a vet.

Iceborne managed to strike a good balance IMO.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'd say it's successful at it (since Iceborne for veterans), but I wouldn't say it's the best the series has ever been, or that it can't improve multiple things to please both crowds (scoutflies, level design, multiplayer structure, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about vets, but as a newcomer it's already made its way into like top 5 of all time for me. I think it's a pretty amazing achievement.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a newcomer and it didn't catch me at all. Played 10 hours and it was just way too boring. Same for my 3 friends who were pretty exited to try it.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing since MHFU and have played MHP3rd, MHTri, MH3U, MH4U, and MHG.

I absolutely love MHW and Iceborne. Dunno about beginners. My playgroup has been the same since MHFU. Worst issue that were experiencing is NAT3.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i last played MH on the psp
MHW is an incredible game and imo GOTY 2018 over GOW

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely.
My group play together daily which we have both veterans and newcomers. All of us has over 200+ playtime (MHW base game + Iceborne). We love it.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it Capcom's most successful game ever? Yeah as a 3 and 4 fan, it bridged new comers and vets and really shed a lot of fat. I love MHW and it's one of the stand out games this gen

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a veteran of the series since Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the 3DS, I really enjoyed vanilla World. I love the new areas and the QoL features even if some aspects were lacking like the tedious endgame Streamstone/Decoration grind.

So yes, Capcom struck a really fucking good balance, and Iceborne made it even better.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I had player Monster Hunter on PSP and 3DS before, the game never had catch my atention, not sure why, it felt too complicated. I just started to play World, and im 20hr in and the game feel amazing, not many mechanics to master and they are presented piece by piece. Right now im in love!