• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• I do

Votes: 519 53.8%
  • I do not

Votes: 445 46.2%

• Total voters

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Surprised so many have voted No.

The legacy of wearing masks in the Far East comes from the Spanish Flu pandemic.

I foresee a similar seed being sown in the West now.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on Long Island, so around here, definitely. Once there's a vaccine, I'm sure use will drop a lot but until then I think alot of people around here will continue wearing masks in public, I know I will.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Look it's warranted now because of the active pandemic happening, but hopefully it won't become a thing. Living through a terribly managed pandemic is no excuse to become a germaphobe.

I do hope personal hygiene becomes a habit though.

Also, aren't masks popular in China only? And that's because of the smog? I rarely see people in Japan, Singapore, and Korea wearing them.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I feel like this is an extremely negative take on a potentially life saving practice...

Think about how many less people will get flu if mask wearing becomes common?

I'm hoping for a vaccine soon.. but the quarantine and mask wearing have made people very unfriendly in general. I stopped wearing one because people couldn't see if I was smiling or scowling at them.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Absolutely, at least I do expect people to start using them more often when they become sick and go out, not as your everyday thing.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think the US might have a bigger issue with it, but Canada seems to be adopting it pretty quick. There's some loud idiots about it, but I see more people in masks than not.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
For many parts of the West (Europe), yes. However, for the US, the non-silent minority is aggressively bullying people who do wear them.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Nope. Americans both have their insatiable urge to express their "rights" in every form possible, coupled with the arrogance of feeling invincible in the face of outbreaks like this, because "Our country isn't as poorly developed as the others are"

This pandemic is an eye opener on how mind-bendingly stupid people are, but also how far they're willing to go out of stubbornness. If anything, there'll be a psudo-political division between those that do and don't in the future; I've already seen it happen in several areas already, and that's while the pandemic is still occurring...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
definitely think the stigma, which did sort of exist in the west previously, of wearing one is gone now. which is good. though i don't know if it helps if ppl continually use them wrong

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Probably a small uptick, but nothing like you see in Asia. Which is honestly a shame. I'm pretty convinced it should be standard during annual flu season as a cheap, unobtrusive way of preventing deaths then.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Will it become more common? I believe so, yes.

Will it become common? No, I doubt it.

We'll see more people wearing masks I think, but I don't think it will catch on like it has in Asia.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, when people get the sick or get the cold I think more people will both wear it and want others to wear them.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just don't see it. I live in Silicon Valley, and my county officially recommends wearing a mask outdoors.

I went on a couple of walks yesterday around my neighborhood, and saw perhaps 20 people outside. I saw 2 people wearing masks.

May 10, 2019
Wow. In illinois, everyone is. Was at walmart last night and don't think I saw one without a mask.

I wish we were doing the same as Illinois but some seem to think easing guidelines is not having to wear any protection. What's even more sad is the easing of guidelines in NC don't even start till May 8th and mask will still be a requirement even then.

Either way stay safe.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason the only people I saw with mask before all this were emo kids, they were right all along it seems.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will further illustrate the urban/rural divide in this country. I think you'll see masks come into greater use in urban centers, and you'll see them be shunned and people "rolling coal" on those wearing them in rural areas.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Some people won't, I mean they aren't even now. It'll definitely be more common going forward because a lot of The reason people didn't do it previously was because there was a huge stigma attached to it.

Just releasing the stigma of it will guarantee more people will do it going forward, but to what percent? Who knows.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
Definitely not, at least in more US-centric western societies. The reason a lot of Asian societies uphold this is because of the cultural normalization of individuals upholding their societal duty to protect & unburden others; one is a part of many. Not only is this not as much of a thing in the US, but we often seek the exact opposite: American society lauds individualism, and often success is factored by the many protecting a privileged few. Wearing a mask is at odds with the entire concept.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I doubt it. Considering how in Toronto, before all this people, would stare at and avoid you before all this happened. It's not seen as a preventative measure or something in good faith, it's a sign you are sick. Which is why it's hard to convince people to wear them because they see no reason to. I imagine that will only become a worse stigma afterwards. Part of the stigma already came from when SARS was a thing and I'd been asked if I had SARS before even just like 2 years ago when wearing a mask.

Not to mention that people can't handle not seeing your face at all times, they immediately assume you are a criminal or doing something shady. I had a few security guards following me around at the start of everything because I started wearing a mask right away. I had to pick up medication at the pharmacy and I could see the pharmacists were visibly concerned to come ot the counter because of my mask.

Not to mention that people in North America are unbelievably selfish, so even if they are sick they won't take steps to prevent others becoming sick. Caring about strangers is a step too far for many. Another thing which I feel has only strengthened since this started.

I bet you will see a bit more masks in cities and everyone else will avoid you thinking you caught Covid-19 or are dying. Outside of cities I doubt anyone will wear them. To the average person it will likely become a more solidified sign in their mind that you are sick with something serious.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Not in America. Even though people are mostly good about it going into stores and such where I live, I see people walking around on the busiest streets with them down around their neck as they pass 20 people every minute. I see people pull them down when they need to talk to people standing 3 ft away. Mostly I just see people not wearing them at all outside.

I live in a neighborhood with a lot of Asian immigrants and I'd see them semi-regularly in the past and I wouldn't be surprised to see that strengthen going forward in this area, but not in general.

I think the vast majority see it as an annoying necessity for corona and once we're back to just normal seasonal illnesses they'll go away.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I doubt it. Even people here on this forum are saying 'I saw someone driving with a mask, what an idiot, who's he going to catch it from'.

There's an anti-different sentiment that's strong in america. People shame differences, especially since it's been politicized. I wore a mask once to the grocery store and kept it on when I stopped to get gas. There were others wearing masks at the time, but I saw two dudes outside their trucks chatting, probably about the democratic hoax they believed was happening.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering the baseline was basically no one wearing masks at all, I'd say that yes we will see it more commonly even if it's still not the majority.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
]
Surprised so many have voted No.

The legacy of wearing masks in the Far East comes from the Spanish Flu pandemic.

I foresee a similar seed being sown in the West now.

I only said no because of the prevailing idiocy of my fellow Americans. It should be more common, but people are already abandoning them around here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Well wearing a mask is more about helping others than helping yourself right? So no I don't think it's going to change significantly.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say Yes as they absolutely should become more common.
However being an American for 46 years on this planet I can definitively say it will not happen, and people will continue on as if this was all just a fever dream.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I only said no because of the prevailing idiocy of my fellow Americans. It should be more common, but people are already abandoning them around here.
Many of your people are needlessly subborn on matters that would help them. It's a shame for such a developed country to be like that.

How can the only pictures Worldwide of people against lockdown, come out of America. It's both surprising, but as someone versed in American history and politics, it's also not so surprising as well.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it will stick around in urban areas where it's difficult to distance from one another.

Other might use it as a tool to hide spots on their skin and to avoid talking to others.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Based on what I see when I have to go to the grocery store with people not respecting the 6 foot rule, walking the wrong way down aisles and brushing past everyone, I'm gonna go with no.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but apparently masks have become a weird partisan issue lol.

Trump has been telling ppl not to wear masks. And a bunch of guys who have issues with their manhood have made masks an attack on their manhood as well--these guys are all over Twitter saying dumb crap that masks are for beta and such.

America is such a wacky place.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think we'll see an uptick. It might be just a super minor one overall, but it will be an uptick.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to see how many people continued to wear masks after the spanish flu hit US. Especially in light of the anti-mask league and how they eventually just went back to not practicing safety measures and the flu resurged like it will happen here.