• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calm Speculation

• Yes. Easily.

Votes: 18 2.8%
  • It has the potential, but it will depend on quality.

Votes: 136 20.9%
  • It has the potential, but it will depend on structure. (open world vs linear, etc)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 8mi~10mi for the first year.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 6mi~8mi for the first year.

Votes: 37 5.7%
  • 4mi~6mi for the first year.

Votes: 161 24.7%
  • Less than 4mi for the first year.

Votes: 282 43.3%

• Total voters

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the quality is high enough i can totally see it selling 10+ million units in its first year.

But that's a big if.

Star Wars is a big ip, Kotor is beloved and with a AAA next-gen coat of paint it surely has the potential to do very well.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it, and the original is one of my all time favourites.

Even with a more accessible combat system this is still a remake of a classic RPG, which will be an inherent barrier to entry for many.

I don't think John Drake doing a console-exclusive deal specifically to keep it off Xbox is going to help the reception at launch, either.

Ultimately it depends on just how new and grandiose this feels. Their recent hiring spree implies that it's going to be a lavish production, so if it can blow people away and offer an unparalleled Star Wars experience with next-gen fidelity, then it may have a shot.

I can't help but wish that they did anything other than an original remake though. That game is so good, and relies heavily on the story pay-off which you cannot repeat. They've got a sequel which launched in an unfinished state which would've been a far more interesting remake, or hell just give people the third game that they've (WE'VE) been asking for for decades.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine alot of the original fans who would buy a remake might not have the right system, that said new fans might make up the difference. That that said, I don't think star wars is that big right now tbh and an RPG with as deep systems as Kotor will not appeal to a large audience.

If the devs nerf the RPG systems to appeal to a very broad audience it won't be worth buying anyways imo. I'd say 4 to 6 million based On Star wars name alone but not much of any more than that.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves the game and have played through the game multiple times, 10 millions unit sold in the first year is a pretty high bar. I won't say it is impossible, but without knowing anything about the game at this point or the kind of marketing campaign it might get, it is hard to say what the odds of selling over 10 million units is.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Under 4m is more likely. By the time it releases, there will likely be quite a few other Star Wars games releasing close to it, more modern games. Jedi Fallen Order sequel, Ubisoft Star Wars and others.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
There's a cross-section here of several fanbases here; Star Wars more generally of course, but I think KOTOR holds more of a cache with what I can only call "WRPG Boomers" (not meant as a derogatory thing here, mind), so while one might assume "Big Star Wars Game" to do well, "KOTOR Remake", especially if it is even halfway similar to original KOTOR, doesn't seem likely to blow the doors off sales-wise.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Final Fantasy 7, arguably the most well-known and reaching rpg ever, sold about 15M counting the remake.
The Witcher 3 sold…17M? Between 4 platforms.
There is no way in hell a ps exclusive remade rpg sells over 3M in its first year.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I first said 6-8M but then remembered how well Respawn's game sold in less than six months:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order tops 10 million copies sold

Electronic Arts said that Respawn Entertainment's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has sold more than10 million copies since it debuted last fall.

I'll say yes it can easily but it's also dependent on the quality of the game. If it's amazing then the IP + word of mouth will recreate what Respawn did.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Not in the first year, it'll be exclusive for one thing, but it would be debatable if it hits that lifetime sales depending on whether it plays more action or more like the original.

It'll be a big hit but you have the problem of engaging players who don't fondly remember the IP (KOTOR, not Star Wars obviously).

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt at 4-6 million in the first year. If they time it right with the announcement/premiere of some sweet Star Wars shit, and don't 100% screw it up I could see it selling pretty well. That last bit is the problem though...we don't know anything other than that Aspyr is involved and they don't exactly have a large body of work to glean info from. Not saying it's doomed to be bad or anything of the sort, just that I remain cautiously optimistic. Far more optimistic than if EA were involved at all.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
No, lets be realistic here - Its Star Wars but its not that big to create such game sales from a remake

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Naw i believe Star Wars is a bit too niche to do those kind of numbers on playstation

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If it's gonna be a classic, hardcore, turn-based RPG like the original then the Star Wars IP isn't going to be enough for it to pull Fallen Order numbers. Fallen Order was a linear, story-driven, single-player action RPG, which are all the rage these days. This is why I said we need to wait and see - KOTOR isn't really that popular among non-gamers for them to just buy it based on the name alone. I believe Fallen Order sold so well because of word of mouth - also, it was the first TPP action SW game since The Force Unleashed, and even though the second one was crap, people loved the first one, so it wasn't hard to market Fallen Order.

As I mentioned, I believe we can make some good guesses. And the chances of it being a hardcore, turn based RPG is null. First because that's not what the original was, it was already a very simplified take on that, which is clearly visible when you compare it with Baldur's Gate 2. KoTOR was closer to a cinematic RPG than a classic cRPG. Second because I don't think anyone would invest more than $70mi to make a game which doesn't have mass appeal. I guess Larian might, but they are a very unique developer. The question is not if it's going to be action focused, it's how much it will be action focused.

Last edited:

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
I dunno we'll see as I imagine the quality also has a say in how well it sells.

Also what is the last RPG that sold 10 mil units in a year that isn't Pokémon? Cyberpunk and Fallout 4?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea JFO sold that much. If it reviews well and has good WOM it will sell really well. If it is memed and ridiculed like say GTA Remastered or Anthem it'll sell poorly.

Its not like GOTG where a good game can slip through the cracks, no matter what KOTOR is gonna have a TON of eyes and buzz about it. So hopefully they wait until its fully polished, they only get 1 shot.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
It will sell between 1M - 10M units, that's my educated guess. Facetiousness aside, there is nothing to analyze to generate an informed opinion, as there is literally nothing to analyze yet aside from the confirmed launch platforms.

Faithfulness vs. modernization balance. Overall quality. Aesthetics/art direction. Previews/reviews. Marketing. Release timing. Too many variables.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
This is how unreasonable hype cycles get started. We haven't even seen the game yet.

And I'm not sure KOTOR has that kind of cachet.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I think some are underestimating how well KOTORR is going to do - Playstation is absolutely going to be making a big push around this game as an RPG counter to the titles coming from Xbox.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The developer doesn't inspire any confidence at all and the fact it is PS5 only on the console front (at least to start) is going to hurt it. I think it will depend on quality and how aggressive they are with deals. Playstation games in general don't usually sell huge numbers until they're heavily discounted so the heavy lifting will be required by PC if the price doesn't drop significantly in relatively short order.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP please change this poll to not allow people to change their vote, its the only way to secure the crow serving in the future.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I first said 6-8M but then remembered how well Respawn's game sold in less than six months:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order tops 10 million copies sold

Electronic Arts said that Respawn Entertainment's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has sold more than10 million copies since it debuted last fall.

I'll say yes it can easily but it's also dependent on the quality of the game. If it's amazing then the IP + word of mouth will recreate what Respawn did.

I don't think that's a very good example to compare to, tbh.

Jedi: Fallen Order sold 8 million copies it's first 2 months on the market. Nov/Dec 2019.

This is primarily due to being released during the hyped release (and media blitz) of the end of the Skywalker Saga in theaters.

It also released on consoles with 10 -12 times the userbase size of the ps5. It was also a much more casual friendly game.

I don't think KOTOR remake will even hit 10 million lifetime

senj

Nov 6, 2017
This would require it to sell 3x the original's lifetime sales, in 1 year, on only the PS5 and PC, fueled entirely by the quality of Aspyr Media's first real non-porting job ever as far as I can tell?

Press x to doubt.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
The fact the majority of people are saying it won't makes me think it will.

I'm getting "Smash Ultimate won't even sell 15 million" vibes from this thread.

Of course this is assuming the game is good, if it's bad of course it'll be a flop.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation games in general don't usually sell huge numbers until they're heavily discounted so the heavy lifting will be required by PC if the price doesn't drop significantly in relatively short order.
I assume you mean first party since there are a lot of games on PlayStation.

Do you have the graph that shows units sold relative to the price? Also you have the breakdown for units sold based consoles versus PC?

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully yes because then that will most likely mean it's a great game.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I assume you mean first party since there are a lot of games on PlayStation.

Do you have the graph that shows units sold relative to the price? Also you have the breakdown for units sold based consoles versus PC?
Just anecdotal, but certainly every first party game which we've received sales information on -- generally speaking Sony games take quite awhile to meet big milestones. God of War (2018) was Sony's best ever selling game and it did 5m in its first month but was only at 10m a year later and then around 20m 2 years after that (3 years total after release). I believe Spider-Man has surpassed it to be their best ever selling game but again, most of its sales have been after heavy discounts, re-releases and time has passed.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This would require it to sell 3x the original's lifetime sales, in 1 year, on only the PS5 and PC, fueled entirely by the quality of Aspyr Media's first real non-porting job ever as far as I can tell?

Press x to doubt.

The original is basically meaningless in this discussion. KoTORR will sell in the standards of what RPGs sell in the present, not how they sold 20 years back.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It might if it's good. I don't think being a timed exclusive really matters since it's on PC. PS and PC are more than enough to get 10 million in a year. Only thing that matters is overall quality

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just anecdotal, but certainly every first party game which we've received sales information on -- generally speaking Sony games take quite awhile to meet big milestones. God of War (2018) was Sony's best ever selling game and it did 5m in its first month but was only at 10m a year later and then around 20m 2 years after that (3 years total after release). I believe Spider-Man has surpassed it to be their best ever selling game but again, most of its sales have been after heavy discounts, re-releases and time has passed.
So you don't actually know. Thanks.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say the only way it gets to 10mil is if it's really, really, reallllllly incredible. Like absolutely amazing graphically, fantastic combat, little-to-no bugs or issues, etc.

I'd say it's not outside the realm of possibility, but more likely it'll "just" be good to really good which is more than I need.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Wasn't the game a PS5 exclusive instead of being on PS4 as well? I can't see a game like this getting 10 million in the first year. This would mean probably ~50% of all PS5 owners in holiday 2022 buying it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't think that's a very good example to compare to, tbh.

Jedi: Fallen Order sold 8 million copies it's first 2 months on the market. Nov/Dec 2019.

This is primarily due to being released during the hyped release (and media blitz) of the end of the Skywalker Saga in theaters.

It also released on consoles with 10 -12 times the userbase size of the ps5. It was also a much more casual friendly game.

I don't think KOTOR remake will even hit 10 million lifetime

I totally forgot about the movies coinciding with its development/release. But how far out is the game? If it releases soon and only for next-gen consoles then it could hit 10M lifetime by being a game that folks continuously buy when getting a new console, especially if on discount. Or maybe by the time it finally comes out there will be a sizable install base.

And I think the remake will be much more friendly and appealing. I seriously doubt it will follow old school D&D rules for its gameplay.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So you don't actually know. Thanks.
We have hard data that Sony's best selling first party game ever took over a year to hit 10 million copies sold and 5m of those were in the 12 months that followed a 5m first month. You can look at this price chart on Camel Camel Camel to see that it fell in price relatively soon and stayed that way: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0798DQ9KT?context=search. Their other best seller (Spider-Man), dropped in price about 6 months after release: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01GW8YDLK?context=search.

Most third party game companies don't release their sales data in general let alone on a per-platform basis, but we know The Witcher 3 for instance has sold around 11.5m copies to date on PS4 after 6 years and that is certainly a benchmark title in general. Obviously for PS5, the best selling titles are in the 2-3m units figure at most so getting to 10m in a year will require heavy lifting from the PC.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I totally forgot about the movies coinciding with its development/release. But how far out is the game? If it releases soon and only for next-gen consoles then it could hit 10M lifetime by being a game that folks continuously buy when getting a new console, especially if on discount. Or maybe by the time it finally comes out there will be a sizable install base.

And I think the remake will be much more friendly and appealing. I seriously doubt it will follow old school D&D rules for its gameplay.

Yea I suppose if it's a 2024 game releasing alongside the Disney+ tv series push and the ps5 slim and ps5 pro push and they market the game with very casual friendly gameplay…I'd be willing to accept the possibility of 10 million lifetime sales :P