• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
you understand this proposed scenario is already possible with D2 when this launches?

Play on Stadia then move save to PC when you get home

In the PC/Third party space Cross Buy and Cloud saving makes the OP's proposal viable

Though you would likely have to double dip on software for this luxury but i can see people doing this

Cross-save would make it possible...but do you really think Steam is going to allow publishers to sell copies on Steam that include a Stadia edition?

Ubisoft MIGHT...but who else would?

This is completely different from Microsoft offering up a 'buy it on Xbox, play it on PC (via the Microsoft store)'

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
if you own a gaming pc and a smart phone?

Ubisoft sells you a cross buy license

Boom now you own the game on both platforms. It supports cloud saving through Ubi account or whatever

Play at home and on the go

Are you guys lacking imagination here?
So, having the game on a different platform than Stadia. Which is an entirely different question than downloading Stadia games to play offline.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
That literally defeats the entire point of streaming.

no?

Stream provide freedom when needed and depending on how devs wanna handle things going forward, specifically thrid parties, you could basically emulate the benefits of both types of gaming depending on where you are

Youll pay effectively double for it in the absence of cross buy deals, discounts etc.. but I dont put it past certain gamers to spend the money

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So, having the game on a different platform than Stadia. Which is an entirely different question than downloading Stadia games to play offline.

are we gonna argue semantics when the issue the OP proposes is viable and we already have a real world Example in Destiny 2?

No google wont make a damn set top box for local games processing sure

But you could balance Stadia and local PC gaming and I expect to see more examples of this beyond D2. Especially with games where your progress is all server held by the developer

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I am not very knowledgeable on this subject. The only reason downloading works for PS Now but doesn't work for Stadia is due to hardware limitations, right?
Because the PS4 contains the actual hardware that games run on, yes. Stadia is just streaming video to a device. Like you can watch a video of Doom 2016 being played at max settings on a laptop that can't actually play that game.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
no?

Stream provide freedom when needed and depending on how devs wanna handle things going forward, specifically thrid parties, you could basically emulate the benefits of both types of gaming depending on where you are

Youll pay effectively double for it in the absence of cross buy deals, discounts etc.. but I dont put it past certain gamers to spend the money
The OP is kind of ambiguous and I parsed it as wanting to play the games locally on the actual Stadia hardware rather than an already owned console. Having "cross buy" would be cool, yeah.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Download onto PC that can run the game locally. Console players can get a code to download from PSN, Xbox Live.

tumblr_inline_pi7uepK3TQ1vgcxlz_540.gif

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I like those terms - cross purchase and cross buy. I don't think the service gains traction until there's some way people can play games offline if you already have a console/PC. As mentioned by others, MS is probably going to do this and offer the streaming/local play ecosystem on (Xbox, Win10 PC, Xcloud) and they will be more successful than Stadia because of it.

You can technically achieve this day one with Destiny 2 (though not cross buy) and likely other games where your data is server based.

MMOs and third parties that allow cloud saving transfers

I would expect it on everything though. Google is very much leveraging this service as a console competitor so we will have to see how much crossover and openness there is

They seem at least cozy with third parties

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's with the attitudes in here? Nobody hopes for flexibility?

Also: console users are screwed if such a thing came about.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
If you can't, then I struggle to see why anyone would even pay $60 for a new game on stadia, if they can just pay that on xCloud instead and have the best of both worlds, streaming plus offline play.

Nov 9, 2017
Destiny 2 being an

Because the PS4 contains the actual hardware that games run on, yes. Stadia is just streaming video to a device. Like you can watch a video of Doom 2016 being played at max settings on a laptop that can't actually play that game.

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, does that mean that all of the PS2-PS3 games on that PSNow could technically already be BC on the PS4 but are being sold to us as streaming instead? I think I already know the answer to this haha

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

We wont see cross buy/save functionality with Sony and MS... or at least its highly doubtful lol

However third parties and the PC space have always been fast and loose with license sales, bundles, deals etc

Its not crazy to think there may be more synergy projects down the line and cloud gaming/server freedom

I dont expect much but as of right now I could Play Destiny 2 on Stadia and on dedicated hardware freely if I own the software license on everything

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If you can't, then I struggle to see why anyone would even pay $60 for a new game on stadia, if they can just pay that on xCloud instead and have the best of both worlds, streaming plus offline play.
I think Microsoft has a real shot of stealing all of stadias thunder if that's the case.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are so incredulous. A service that gives you the option to stream or download a given title depending on what device you're playing on has a lot of potential. It would also be the much more consumer-friendly way to go about things. We should encourage that.

I don't think Google will do it though.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Download them and run them on what? These aren't regular PC games.
Again those are native linux builds that only have a supplementary mode to run in a distributed calculation mode , so if you have Ubuntu or any linux distribution with up to date libraries for local execution the build would work just fine , just in a local execution mode . Stadia's hardware is nothing more than server grade X86 based computers . And on linux server grade or not X86 is X86 .
So once again this would be possible provided you're ready to give linux gaming a try without changing a single iota of the build ...

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft has a real shot of stealing all of stadias thunder if that's the case.

Yup they offer better value out of the gate with not requiring you to double dip on software... or dip at all if its a gamepass game

That said Stadia could cut license deals, cross buy, bundles etc down the line in the PC space and among third parties at the very least

I expect Sony to compete in similar fashion with their own tech

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
On PC I can see that happening, but I don't think they will do it cause their whole ecosystem is about livestreaming the game from any device.

OP
OP
freakybj

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
You can technically achieve this day one with Destiny 2 (though not cross buy) and likely other games where your data is server based.

MMOs and third parties that allow cloud saving transfers

I would expect it on everything though. Google is very much leveraging this service as a console competitor so we will have to see how much crossover and openness there is

They seem at least cozy with third parties
I think it's a mistake to position Stadia as a direct competitor to consoles/PC. You still have to worry about internet quality and data caps, so it should be marketed as a service that complements those platforms to enable remote play on multiple devices. If the service is so good that people migrate to that primarily then that's an added benefit. I hope Google is open to making deals with third party pubs/devs that allow their customers to choose what platform they want to play on at any given time.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are so incredulous. A service that gives you the option to stream or download a given title depending on what device you're playing on has a lot of potential. It would also be the much more consumer-friendly way to go about things. We should encourage that.

I don't think Google will do it though.

By download they would have to sell you a PC/Steam/Epic key

There is no reality where they are setting up a local client at least thats not the fiture i see

With Destiny to its just Bungie providing the path for people to move their account between platforms but there could be an even smoother setup in the future potentially

Cloud gaming, saves etc.. has that potential

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
There is no reality where they are setting up a local client at least thats not the fiture i see

If Google were to do this, they would likely build it into Chrome. This would be relatively easy. It's Google's browser, so they could make it execute (Google-signed) native code if they wanted to. (Google also had NaCl, but iirc they deprecated that at some point.)

Again, I don't actually think Google will do this, but they could and it would be nice.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No it's because you can't buy Stadia hardware, it's dead to play a Stadia game offline.

If it's about multiplatform licensing, it's a good idea but it fits more publishers that already have a pass like EA or very small projects that gains popularity with it.

Cross-buy alread exists but it's something specific and not generalized. I don't really see how streaming would change this.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way without the local hardware being up to snuff. At which point, just buy a current-gen console or PC.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yup they offer better value out of the gate with not requiring you to double dip on software... or dip at all if its a gamepass game

That said Stadia could cut license deals, cross buy, bundles etc down the line in the PC space and among third parties at the very least

I expect Sony to compete in similar fashion with their own tech
I'm really curious where Sony goes from here considering they already offer a streaming service nearly nobody bats an eye at. Time for everyone to step it up. This is why I like competition.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I seriously, seriously doubt it would be a thing without having to be online anyway. An online check would constantly be necessary if they allowed for local, native running of games.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
How would you play them? A Chromecast isn't packing a 10 TF GPU.

That's obviously another concern ;). I'm just pointing out there's no storage available in this variable. This is a streaming service, it was planned as a streaming service and I doubt Google will use it for anything else.

The lack of a "box" is what kills any possible download ability.

Yun

Oct 27, 2017
No - that way the uncrackable drm would be pointless. Kudos Google. Smart play

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, does that mean that all of the PS2-PS3 games on that PSNow could technically already be BC on the PS4 but are being sold to us as streaming instead? I think I already know the answer to this haha
PS3 games can't run on PS4 at all. PSNow afaik just streams video from actual PS3s.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have linux, so I would not be excited

No Android phone (also Google)? Performance of Android phones will eventually catch up with this...
But when they do we will see Stadia 2 HW or even Stadia 3 HW running the game in Googles server halls.
And we will have 5G mobile...

Technically it will probably be possible, but multiplayer games will be designed in a new way.
Low and deterministic latency between cloud-server and cloud-client, a bit higher input latency (small amounts of data), higher output latency (huge amounts of data)
but total latency will probably improve...

Possibly shared memory for huge worlds (world simulation is run cloud-server side only)

This will not really fit with downloading to a phone or computer... Single player games might (downloading chapter by chapter)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No Android phone (also Google)? Performance of Android phones will eventually catch up with this...
But when they do we will see Stadia 2 HW or even Stadia 3 HW running the game in Googles server halls.
And we will have 5G mobile...

I have a 6 year old gen 1 Moto G

Stadia games are linux based, not android based.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
These games will probably have to have some work done to support their (probably) Linux server infrastructure and custom hardware and GPU's.

It's not like they can let you download the binaries they use and away you go. Basically, if they wanted to allow this they would have to have a separate download for the PC version of the game. And that's pretty much the only place you'd be able to play most games. Most of the games on release don't have mobile ports.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Part of me believes they will if sales don't pan out the way they want them to. However, this would require them to introduce a dongle with storage. Chromecasts don't have much storage as it is, I think it's less than 10GB. So they would need a massive dongle.... or a console, which would also defeat the purpose of Stadia.

So, no.
Chromecasts do not have any storage. You can't download anything on them, not even apps like Netflix or Prime Video. It's just a streaming dongle that lets you cast stuff from your phone or PC to your TV. The Chromecast Ultra, which is apparently needed for Stadia, has an HDMI-out, an ethernet port, and a micro-USB port for power. There's nowhere to even attach a "storage dongle."

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What OP wants is probably similar to what Nvidia does with GeForce NOW. Buy a game there and you get both a code to redeem the game in a store (eg. Steam), as well as the ability to play said game through streaming. The difference is Nvidia's solution is free at the moment (I'm surprised that it still hasn't left the beta/free stage yet) and you can use your existing library of games.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
if you own a gaming pc and a smart phone?

Ubisoft sells you a cross buy license

Boom now you own the game on both platforms. It supports cloud saving through Ubi account or whatever

Play at home and on the go

Are you guys lacking imagination here?

Yeah, this would basically be the only way right now. If the publisher provided the license to, say, the GoG, Steam, etc version of the game when you bought it on Stadia. This would be a pretty unusual concept, though. It's the equivalent of if someone bought Red Dead Redemption 2 for Xbox One X and then asked if Microsoft lets them download it on their PS4 Pro, or "I bought Madden Mobile on the App store, how do I download it on Xbox One?"

But with Stadia, I think most people explaining the service are being intentionally cautious and mentioning the pitfalls because a lot of people don't understand game streaming. Even before today, you've had nearly hundreds ofpeople replying "What? It's not $10/mo and every game is free...?" Like, there's a major disconnect between people's expectation of what game streaming is.

Unless Google and like... Steam could come to a license sharing agreement, it'll likely come down to the publisher if they ever did this. And then theyd have to be careful when they allow it or not, because let's say that Stadia has a sale for some game for $10, if Ubi provides a license for, say, Playstation, Xbox, or Steam, that game may be priced differently on there, so there's a lot of moving parts.

Also, I'd imagine that Google is negotiating the licenses with publishers. Similar to how license rights vary for all digital media, games are no different. Google could negotiate a lower sales price for Stadia games from publishers, theoretically, because it's "just streaming," similar to how license rights are negotiated with movie studios for movies, or music, on streaming services. So even with something like Google Play Music, if you "Download for Offline Use," it's not quite the same as having the rights to those media files outside of Google Play Music. The license that Google has to have, say, The Beatles appear in GOogle Play Music is for streaming, it doesn't allow people to download the music and play it outside of Google Play Music or do what they want with it (short of someone, like, rooting their device to get aorund this).

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Once the subscription service isn't required I'll dip my toes into this.

Not keen on building a new gaming PC and I'm pretty done with Microsoft's OS so stadia is a nice alternative.

I'm just not keen on having my software library walled off by a subscription service.