• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

doublejon

Jan 10, 2018
I think you'd be much more likely to find something like this with Project xCloud. Buy Halo and stream it anywhere, but have a downloaded version on Xbox or PC. I really don't see Google doing this as streaming is their entire game plan, whereas xCloud is in addition to their consoles/computers.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you want to play on your phone, you would use Stadia streaming.

If you want to play at home and insist on local play ... I guess Google could maybe offer some kind of way to play through the Chrome browser if your PC is up to snuff and the publisher is cool with it.

I mean I don't see it as a priority for Google, on the other hand, they're not really "losing" anything by doing this.

That defeats what they are selling us.
You are paying for the Stream and Processing being done by Stadia....if your computer/phone/tablet/TV is doing the processing the real advantage is lost.
Remember all the talk of highest fidelity 4K for Pro?
If you pay for Pro you expect the games to run at 4K.....how many computers can run the latest games with all the bells and whistles at 4K(not many) how many phones you think could even try 1fps?
If you want local play jump in with Microsoft, youll get streaming and local with Gamepass.

Stadia wont have offline play...having it defeats the purpose and brings more headaches than anything.....Stadias server hardware is bespoke, emulating it locally adds extra load on your PC....its feasible but very very inefficient and as I said will bring a million more headaches.
They would have to port already ported games down to single PC level....because Stadia games will take advantage of as much hardware as they need too server side....if you want them to run on a single PC you'd have to code that in.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, never. It basically ruins the sales pitch.

What are you getting at? It basically strengthens the sales pitch. Stadia is a service to play anywhere you want.

The point would be that if you want the Stadia edition you have to buy directly from google or a vendor approved by google in retail.

I don't actually expect them to do this but if they did it would strengthen the sales pitch of the platform.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Presumably one of the reasons you'd want to still use Stadia instead of the computer you bought your steam-or-whatever copy of the game on is that if you're outside of your home that the stadia servers will have less latency / more bandwidth than the connection you're making to your home.

I don't think the idea the OP suggests is nonsense but I think the sorts of games that are going to thrive on stadia are going to be ones where the idea of an offline mode wouldn't make sense at all.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are paying for the Stream and Processing being done by Stadia....if your computer/phone/tablet/TV is doing the processing the real advantage is lost.
Remember all the talk of highest fidelity 4K for Pro?
If you pay for Pro you expect the games to run at 4K.....how many computers can run the latest games with all the bells and whistles at 4K(not many) how many phones you think could even try 1fps?
If you want local play jump in with Microsoft, youll get streaming and local with Gamepass.

Stadia wont have offline play...having it defeats the purpose and brings more headaches than anything.....Stadias server hardware is bespoke, emulating it locally adds extra load on your PC....its feasible but very very inefficient and as I said will bring a million more headaches.
They would have to port already ported games down to single PC level....because Stadia games will take advantage of as much hardware as they need too server side....if you want them to run on a single PC you'd have to code that in.

Consumers ultimately dictate this stuff though. You can repeat company mantras and marketing buzz words until you're blue in the face, but if the consumer says otherwise, then that's more or less the last word.

If its a feature that people really, really want and publishers are OK with it, there's not much reason for Google to say no.

That said, I don't think it's something most Stadia users will really care that much for, though there is a chance it becomes a relevant point if its something Microsoft/Sony push as an alternative.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Google isn't in business of selling that kind of hardware to people and they probably never will be. It makes zero sense for them and their business.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's the whole point of going with Stadia, instant access and the ability to play as though you're on a high end PC.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% not happening, but it would be hilarious/awesome if Stadia DID offer this feature, and what you got back was essentially a Docker VM image that you then had to mount on some hardware platform that met a minimum spec. In other words, you could remount the image in the cloud service of your choice (or if you could get it running, your own machine).

Wildly impractical for all but the techiest of folks, of course. But the idea of owning a virtual machine that could run an individual title is weirdly intriguing for some reason.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That would defeat the whole purpose of a streaming service.
It wouldn't because your xbox edition for the time being doesn't allow to continue your game session away from home without your console. The Stadia edition allows you to continue playing the game even on your phone (pixel for now) by streaming your save on the game you usually play at home with the device you left behind.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

The advantage wasn't lost. Certain games simply play worse on a phone or tablet and are impossible to play on a TV without a console or pc.

If I had family and friends over for dinner and their kids were using my switch I could still use my chromecast to stream my Stadia game to one of the many displays I have. I suspect every family has more screens at home than they have capable gaming machines for all the software they play.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Part of me believes they will if sales don't pan out the way they want them to. However, this would require them to introduce a dongle with storage. Chromecasts don't have much storage as it is, I think it's less than 10GB. So they would need a massive dongle.... or a console, which would also defeat the purpose of Stadia.

So, no.

Oct 27, 2017
OP I don't think you understand the point of the service. There is 0.01% chance you have the hardware needed to run Stadia versions since they are specialized. There's no point in downloading them.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
They're built for a specific Stadia flavour of Linux. So I doubt it. Can't see them agreeing terms with other platform holders like Valve or Epic to provide access to their versions.
That would still mean just giving on access to Windows people. Will they gonna also go agree Sony Microsoft Nintendo too? See how meaningless is this

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Dont think so, but I hope that some day the allow some sort of cross purchase between platforms.. I want that more than crossplay.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't because your xbox edition for the time being doesn't allow to continue your game session away from home without your console. The Stadia edition allows you to continue playing the game even on your phone (pixel for now) by streaming your save on the game you usually play at home with the device you left behind.

ive been trying to convey this idea to people

Stadia would be smart to partner with Third parties to offer cross buy deals

Since a subscription isnt necessary they could dance this weird but convenient line and allow almost a Nintendo Switch like experience for high end games while allowing people to utilize cloud saves for dedicated gaming when you get back home

The major issue is that they are leveraging themselves as an industry competitor not collaborator but who knows

I doubt MS and Sony will play ball but Third parties and PC space might be open to it

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
What are you getting at? It basically strengthens the sales pitch. Stadia is a service to play anywhere you want.

The point would be that if you want the Stadia edition you have to buy directly from google or a vendor approved by google in retail.

I don't actually expect them to do this but if they did it would strengthen the sales pitch of the platform.
No it's not, it's a service to play via STREAM anywhere you want. The whole point is that their servers do all the heavy lifting on games, and you enjoy it wherever you want at fantastic quality...

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They've said, pretty unequivocally, no. That this would be against the whole ethos of the service.

I mean, anything is possible, but this would be a pretty big admission of failure as far as the original vision goes.

Uh....

Um..........

On what hardware would you download and run these games? No. It's not possible lol.

"Hey everyone! Download Assassins Creed 73 on your iPhone and keep playing offline!"

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They've said, pretty unequivocally, no. That this would be against the whole ethos of the service.

I mean, anything is possible, but this would be a pretty big admission of failure as far as the original vision goes.

Totally agree. And if the service is good, the only reason you'd want to is because you're going off the grid for a while.

Google: want immediate access to AAA games running at 4k?
ResetEra: where's the download?

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would still mean just giving on access to Windows people. Will they gonna also go agree Sony Microsoft Nintendo too? See how meaningless is this

When you buy Forza Horizon 4 you get the Windows Store and Xbox versions.
When you buy Assasians Creed you get the Uplay and Stadia versions

Seems completely reasonable and I don't see why it is so confusing for you.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I don't have linux, so I would not be excited
As a linux gamer myself this would mean me bein' able to lay my hands on officially made native linux versions of Ubisoft games so the offer would be very tempting for me .
But yeah it's more than liklely not gonna happen anytime soon given that Uplay and Ubisoft at large only want to make those linux native version for Stadia and only Stadia ...
Also anyone wanting that to happen ... Did you forget that those are linux native versions of the game ? Or are you finaly ready to give linux gaming a try at long last ? XD

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Uh....

Um..........

On what hardware would you download and run these games? No. It's not possible lol.

"Hey everyone! Download Assassins Creed 73 on your iPhone and keep playing offline!"

I mean - they could release a console. It's not impossible for a company like Google.

But it would be an admission that the vision didn't work, and I think Google is only getting into the games platform business because the tech is getting to a point where they don't need to produce and distribute a console at scale.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
i see this has been pointed out but how would you play it offline do you know what streaming is do you understand the point and function of this device???

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I want to use Resetera while hiking and out of cellular service. As part of Resetera Gold, Resetera should provide me with an offline version.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
That is not how a streaming platform works.

you understand this proposed scenario is already possible with D2 when this launches?

Play on Stadia then move save to PC when you get home

In the PC/Third party space Cross Buy and Cloud saving makes the OP's proposal viable

Though you would likely have to double dip on software for this luxury but i can see people doing this

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Surprised by how many posters here think that this would make sense.
The games are made with Stadia in mind. It's not a PC launcher, nor a console. It doesn't work without an internet connection.
Simple, isn't it?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
This thread reminds me of the comedy sketch with the guy pitching his idea to the investors and they basically go 'we love it, want to invest millions, wouldn't change a thing...but what if - and I'm just saying - it was this completely opposite idea instead?'

Jun 10, 2018
No, it would be impossible to download and play the game. Google built a dedicated game console (no different to Xbox or PlayStation), it just sits in the cloud. That is why developers have to port their games to the hardware. The only way you will be able to play the games locally is if Google decided to sell their console for local play.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
i see this has been pointed out but how would you play it offline do you know what streaming is do you understand the point and function of this device???

if you own a gaming pc and a smart phone?

Ubisoft sells you a cross buy license

Boom now you own the game on both platforms. It supports cloud saving through Ubi account or whatever

Play at home and on the go

Are you guys lacking imagination here?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Again the builds of those games are just a linux native version that does make room in its source code to run in a distributed calculation mode , but can also work localy just fine on a single system if need be . So if you're a linux user all you have to do is download the game and have the required libraries for local executions (which are no different then the ones local linux games already uses anyway ) the game would just never use the distributed calculation mode .

So for a linux gamer that would be a cool proposal but yeah if you're a winbro downloading those files would be pointeless ...

Nov 9, 2017
Sorry I am not very knowledgeable on this subject. The only reason downloading works for PS Now but doesn't work for Stadia is due to hardware limitations, right?

OP
OP
freakybj

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Dont think so, but I hope that some day the allow some sort of cross purchase between platforms.. I want that more than crossplay.

ive been trying to convey this idea to people

Stadia would be smart to partner with Third parties to offer cross buy deals

Since a subscription isnt necessary they could dance this weird but convenient line and allow almost a Nintendo Switch like experience for high end games while allowing people to utilize cloud saves for dedicated gaming when you get back home

The major issue is that they are leveraging themselves as an industry competitor not collaborator but who knows

I doubt MS and Sony will play ball but Third parties and PC space might be open to it

Yes, I like those terms - cross purchase and cross buy. I don't think the service gains traction until there's some way people can play games offline if you already have a console/PC. As mentioned by others, MS is probably going to do this and offer the streaming/local play ecosystem on (Xbox, Win10 PC, Xcloud) and they will be more successful than Stadia because of it.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I think I understand why you're asking about this, OP. I'm a bit worried about any games I purchase on Stadia being locked behind their streaming subscription platform. I guess them having a free tier means I could still access my games later without a fee.

But if the primary use case is people who don't have access to gaming hardware, this probably isn't a popular use case or fear.