• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
It is, though.

It has a terrible metacritic user rating for a reason.
People "hated it" for "reasons"

It's objectively false to say it isn't polarizing.

It's also disingenuous to say the polarization is only because of deplorables so can't stomach representation in their video games. Those people are quite vocal, yes, but people with actual good reasons for disliking TLOUII are quite vocal even on this very message board.

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry but this is such a ridiculous narrative that I am seeing elsewhere online too---this idea that Ghost of Tsushima is only popular because of TLOU2 hate/backlash and only won the recent Player's Choice award for the same reason. Ghost is Sony's fastest selling original IP ever and has sold well over 5 million copies by now. There were millions of votes cast for the Video Game Award. Ghost is an amazing game in it's own right that is clearly extremely popular and well-received. It is easily my GOTY.

Nothing against TLOU2 and I understand there is a vocal group out there of TLOU haters but it is silly to somehow hinge Ghost's success on an idiotic minority of internet trolls that hated TLOU2. Ghost is incredible and huge numbers of gamers clearly loved it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think some people simply underestimate this game or the appreciation for it.
Agree. The game is a lot better than your usually Ubisoft Open World due to great characters, good story and better pacing. The 83 meta is very misleading, it's even below some Assassin's Creed games which is a bit lol-worthy IMHO. The gameplay is also much better with less jank and an actual fun battle system that makes you feel like a badass.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think it's the best PS4 exclusive for 2020.

I got to live a samurai dream and then....they added the best multiplayer Sony has seen for their first party in forever.

it's the total package.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Op, problem with the metacritic score is that the reviews do not include the multiplayer aspect of the game as it was a surprise release. I love last of us 2 but Ghost is my favourite game this year (when you include multiplayer.)

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I think it would have a B-tier level GOTY chorus a la Assassins Creed but it is definitely boosted by 4chan types making it the force to unify around.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up liking Ghost of Tsushima a lot more than TLOU2 but the two aren't exactly comparable games. They exist in their own lanes

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It is a fine game (I didn't like it that much tho), it was successful and it sold well, which means people did enjoy it and bought it because they seemed to believe so too, sadly the game has seen itself involved in this whole pathetic thing because some manchildren can't handle a lesbian protagonist and some sort of representation in a mainstream game. It really is a shame because GoT can stand on its own without being dragged by this bullshit.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If it didn't have that anti-TLOU2 brigade behind it, I think it would have still been a very well liked game. It may have been signal boosted a little less, but at least there wouldn't have been any of the ugliness associated with it.

Basically, I think the whole ugliness has been more of a hinderance than a help.

Yes, I think it would. I also think that if TLOU2 wasn't so polarizing then ppl wouldn't be pitting the two games against each other.

I don't think many people pit the two games against each other who aren't acting in bad faith. They are very different games.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Sure. I think the number of folks who are voting for Tsushima out of spite against TLOU2 is probably overrepresented.

Tsushima is an extremely, extremely pretty take on the Ubisoft Game open world format, and the Ubisoft Game format is extremely fucking popular. I'm not surprised at all that a take on that format with Sony's level of first-party production value would appeal to a ton of folks.

Like the game has a lot of stuff going for it, I don't think "gotta spite TLOU2" is really front of mind for most folks.
Absolutely.

Tsushima is an art-direction masterclass, has a compelling narrative, wonderful work by the performers, and engaging combat. I had a blast with the open world; it never felt empty or dull, but I understand people burned out by open-world games in general might not be as impressed with it.
The game receives GOTY nods regardless of the year it comes out in. It's a strong game.
Agreed 1000%

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm just excited that I have both installed on my PS5 waiting for me to finish TLOU Remastered. Never played any PS exclusives til I got a PS5

Oct 30, 2017

It's also disingenuous to say the polarization is only because of deplorables so can't stomach representation in their video games. Those people are quite vocal, yes, but people with actual good reasons for disliking TLOUII are quite vocal even on this very message board.
Yeah. But almost every game has some degree of users not liking games for certain reasons. Many reasons being quite valid.

With the latest TLOU2 Abby trailer, was the reason the trailer got thousands of more dislikes than likes because of pacing issues and issues with combat variety? Or because people hate Abby and Lev because of "performative wokeness?"

I'm going to argue it's the latter.

We all have games we don't like. How many of us visit post launch trailers of games we didn't end up liking and downvote it?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think GoT would be seen less favorably next to Horizon since they're quite similar and Horizon does almost everything better. Being just about incomparable to TLOU2 works in its favor. And it absolutely got a push at launch and now in awards season from certain crowds because of TLOU2. That doesn't take away from anyone's genuine enjoyment of it, of course.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I mean they aren't even similar styles of game and Ghost is a very pretty and safe iteration of a very crowd-pleaser genre. They don't really have much to do with the other beyond both being big Sony titles.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Ubisoft games sell a TON but don't get much discussion on ERA, and they are pretty good games. I haven't played Ghosts yet (on my list!) but from friends who have and watching a bit of twitch it seems to be a bit better than most of the Ubi single player games, all of which I've enjoyed. In many ways it reminds me of Days Gone, which critics kinda poo-poo'd but tended to be viewed positively by people who played it, and sold really well if I remember right.

It'll be interesting seeing sales numbers for the entire 2020, and seeing how Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla, Ghosts, and The Last of Us 2 rank among each other on just sales.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I think the surprising thing is this game getting so much recognition in a world were so many apparently better games came out this year alone (Half-Life Alex, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, The Last of Us II, Hades, Animal Crossing, and even Assassins Creed Valhalla and Microsoft Flight Simulator reviewed better).

I can't say how it stacks up to everything else, I'm still waiting for the right time to buy and play it and really looking forward to that, but it Sounds like a well executed if overall not very creative or innovative game, that has a really good narrative. It also sounds like a lot of people simply haven't played the other GOTY candidates.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed GoT. Then the multiplayer came out and they dropped one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played last generation.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
After playing GOT I thought it was a fine game but the 83 metacritic seems to be a fair score for the game. But it has one thing about it so many people love more than anything, it isn't the last of us II...Leaving personal opinion out ( I loooooved tlouII) it seems a decent game in Ghost is getting much praised for not being TLOUII than it is for what it does well on its own merit. That being said if you removed the last of us II from 2020 and replaced it with a less polarizing game with a similar metacritic, say Horizon Zero Dawn, do you think that GOT would be receiving the same praise it currently is?

All of this!

all people have to do is check out the old forum and twitter to see just how toxic gamers are being about TLOU2

ghosts is a great game and a fantastic entry level to a new IP however.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
GoT was a pretty game (especially Kurosawa mode) but it felt like a Ubisoft game to me

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It's a far more palatable game and something that people actively desired for the better part of a decade (Assassins Creed in a Japan).

I don't want to play down TLoU 2 but in 2020 this dark zombie shit is not new.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't Ghost one of the most voted(user rating) games on MC and with a pretty high rating? People clearly loved that game.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
After playing GOT I thought it was a fine game but the 83 metacritic seems to be a fair score for the game. But it has one thing about it so many people love more than anything, it isn't the last of us II...Leaving personal opinion out ( I loooooved tlouII) it seems a decent game in Ghost is getting much praised for not being TLOUII than it is for what it does well on its own merit. That being said if you removed the last of us II from 2020 and replaced it with a less polarizing game with a similar metacritic, say Horizon Zero Dawn, do you think that GOT would be receiving the same praise it currently is?

If you remove TLOU2 from the list altogether, Ghost of Tsushima is probably the favorite for GOTY. So yes, it would still be receiving this much praise if not for the TLOU2 controversy.

However, in regards to this award specifically yes it primarily won because the TLOU2 critics went out of their way to vote for it.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's a great game on its own. It's not in the same league as TLOUII and time will look back on the comparison between the two as ridiculous, but it's a great game.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I've never played nor do I have any plan of playing either, but from my understanding GoT was extremely popular?

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
not everyone who played, & even finished, the last of us part 2 ended up being all that crazy about the game (self included). yes, the people who loved the game, including many critics, loved it. but that by no means includes everyone who played it, including many of us who were able to appreciate various aspects of the game while still not enjoying it overall...

what i'm saying is, i feel that for most of those who didn't especially love the game, i'm not really seeing that somehow coloring their feelings about other games they've played & enjoyed. why would a game someone didn't like all that much affect the way someone felt about a game that they did like? do you feel that this's something that happens a lot, op?...

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I loved both for different reasons and I found GoT to be a more enjoyable experience than Horizon

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima would have had it's acclaimed recognition it gets. It's an incredible game.

Oct 26, 2017
The game industry does not revolve around TLOU2 wtf

GoT is fantastic in its own right, I enjoyed the game immensely

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
GoT is excellent and easily in my top 10 this year, but...I do think there's a subset of nasty players out there holding it up on a pedestal and propagating it as some kind of pushback against baseless perceived wrongs from TLOU2. That other thread had links that showed as much. I remember tweeting how much I enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima on completion and got hundreds of tweets about how it's a "real game" and "respects players" as opposed to TLOU.

Bunch of dumbass gamergaters out there.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through it at the moment and it's a nice game. I'm enjoying it. But I'm honestly surprised it was nominated for game of the year let alone ranking so highly among those selected games.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Don't try to ruin Ghost of Tsushima's success because of TLOU2's haters.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Someone made the Alita Battle Angel/Captain Marvel comparison in a previous thread and its very apt. I loved Ghost Tsushima but you have to be in denial or incredibly naive not to see you got a really vocal crowd rallying around it as a cover to bash TLOU2.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I wouldnt vote for either and its not out of spite, they are impressive games but not my favorites this year.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand this. People love ghost because they hate The last of us? Like what lol

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry but this is such a ridiculous narrative that I am seeing elsewhere online too---this idea that Ghost of Tsushima is only popular because of TLOU2 hate/backlash and only won the recent Player's Choice award for the same reason. Ghost is Sony's fastest selling original IP ever and has sold well over 5 million copies by now. There were millions of votes cast for the Video Game Award. Ghost is an amazing game in it's own right that is clearly extremely popular and well-received. It is easily my GOTY.

Nothing against TLOU2 and I understand there is a vocal group out there of TLOU haters but it is silly to somehow hinge Ghost's success on an idiotic minority of internet trolls that hated TLOU2. Ghost is incredible and huge numbers of gamers clearly loved it.

I don't think anyone is saying the only reason it's popular is because of the controversy. The idea that TLOU2 is so polarizing that it would drive enough nuts to vote for another game as a consolation out of spite that it would effecs its chances is plausible imo.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that it inflated the opinions somewhat, but I can't imagine anyone that loved it that wouldn't love it if TLoU2 didn't exist.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I mean i doubt anyone actively joined and voted for the sake of making TLoU lose - but yes obviously? if they weren't a polarizing game and instead went deep fan service revenge plot where Ellie and Joel go kill the people who murdered Tommy and Dina I think it's safe to say they would have probably still made a 10 out of 10 game in a lot of critics eyes and would have had a more broad appeal among the first games fans.

So yeah... if more people liked TLoU it would have done better LoL

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, it would. The people who spite TLOU2 are more vocal than those who didn't, which makes it seem like they're more prevalent.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOT is one of the best games of the year, it is utterly fantastic and deserves all the recognition it gets. Would it have won the award? I don't know but it's wonderful and worth playing.

I don't think it is, It's not as polarizing as some are saying. there will always be people who dislike something but that's definitely not making it polarizing.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I really love both games. Legends coming out for GoT really pushed that game way up in my book. The Legends mode is very strong if you have not played it yet.