• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The game is heavily flawed and overall pretty basic, but it scratched an itch and filled a void that hadn't been filled in a while. It helps that the Online mode was pretty great and surprisingly free while the game also got updated for PS5 with a 60FPS limit which looks great

I'm going through it now and have really enjoyed it, one of the standouts this year for me. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel (There was another Mongol invasion attempts some 7 years later) and I'm more than fine with it winning awards this year. And yes I do think that although TLOU2 did a lot of wonderful things and hit high notes it was also very very very polarizing for many of its aspects which counterbalances some of the good things, so although it's the traditional award winner you'd expect (Cinematic story focused game with heavy dark atmosphere) I don't think it was robbed

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear people just like Ghost of Tsushima has nothing to do with anything else.

Also TLOU2 isn't a polarizing game anyways.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I voted for both games in the early rounds, and GoT in the last rounds. The two games back to back were some of the best weeks in recent years but I think on balance I enjoyed GoT more and appreciated TLOU2 more. Maybe because I don't play Ubisoft games so the open world tropes didn't frustrate me, but I liked the story, I liked how dry and stoic Jin was (and how he softens a little during the story), I liked how the UI mostly gets the hell out of the way so you can enjoy the environment. Everything just clicked in a way that few games have recently.

And this was a recurring sentiment when the game came out too (still is, people are enjoying the MP update)

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
I loved GOT it's one of the few open world games that I played non stop pretty much without getting bored. I loved the story and performances and the fighting was really fun.
Personally I didn't enjoy TLOU2 mainly because It's not my favourite genre I'm not good with horror but I appreciate the graphics and work that went into it was phenomenal but from playing all uncharted games and the first TLOU I don't enjoy the gameplay, they just have good cutscenes and stories.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima is one of the best open world games this gen and it completely ate Assassin's Creed's lunch this year. It deserves all the praise it got.

On the other hand, do I think there are some voices actively praising it for motives related to TLOU2? Yeah, probably. Which is dumb. But that doesn't take away that it was one of the best games this year and, for me, easily preferable to Naughty Dog's more cinematic efforts (which are great achievements in and of themselves, just not my preferred type of game).

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I understand the correlation beyond them both being Sony first-party games. It's quite possible that GoT just had a broader appeal, even if it wasn't as technically impressive.

While it's just anecdotal, that was my personal experience: I really enjoyed GoT but just didn't play TLOUII, purely because it just wasn't a game that interested me. I wouldn't really look to compare it to GoT, though, as they're both trying to do different things.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
It has one of the highest user scores on metacritic and i am pretty sure that has something to do with The Last of Us Part II. Overall tho? Not at all, there are millions of people that don't even know this Game and Last of Us are from the same Publisher.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's good and probably helps that Ass Creed has gone in another direction so it's open world stealth action feels less derivative but after going on a Kurosawa binge earlier this year it's plot is really lacking. TLOU2 meanwhile may not be for everyone at least takes risks.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game and would still love it even if TLOU2 didn't exist.

Sure the game does have open world tropes but it does a really good job making them fun. There is also the amazing combat, the awesome story and characters and of course the really good looking art direction/map.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I absolutely love TLOU2 and Hades, but Ghost of Tsushima is my GOTY by a mile. The world, exploration, atmosphere and art direction vibed with me in a way that no game had managed since Breath of the Wild over 3 years ago, and I also think GoT gives any Assassin's Creed a run for its money. I LOVE how the overall presentation feeds into the world and setting, from the wind mechanic to the mission intro screens to the wide angle shots. I also really liked the story (especially from Act 2 going forward), the characters and the ending was one of the very best in recent years.
I honestly enjoyed every single minute of playing this game and platinumed it months ago, but still boot it up from time to time to just wander around a bit or marvel at how good it runs and feels on PS5 at 60fps now.
Plus, the Legends multiplayer mode came out of nowehere and was/is an amazing addition at no additional cost.

I think some people simply underestimate this game or the appreciation for it.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019
I'm super interested in what the difference in groundswell would be if Legends mode did not exist. Legends brought me back to the game hard and made me appreciate my time with the campaign that much more.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Tsushima is my GOTY I don't think people should discard its qualities just because of all this, the game is superb

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not biased ( I LOOOOOVED TLOU2 ) but..."

Alright then.

Nope, GoT was great, incredibly peaceful at times, refreshing, jaw droppingly beautiful, lots of quality of life stuff, cool action and combat, didn't overstay its welcome...

Took a while for me to beat it and I loved it.

I had to drag myself to finish last of us2 so yeah, no question between the two for me.

Post launch, it shipped a free multiplayer and free ps5 upgrade as well, meanwhile last of us 2 offered about jack and shit.

Easy to understand why one got more goodwill.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that was the case, why is it GoT receiving such praise instead of one of the other great games out there. Unless you are inadvertently implying that the praise automatically blindly shifted to another Sony studios game

Personally I thought GoT was great and that I enjoyed it more that TLOU

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think the question is predicated on the belief that Ghost of Tsushima's win was not because of merit but as part of a coordinated campaign, I disagree with that.
Without getting into the fine print of it all many gamers came away from Ghost having thoroughly enjoyed their experience - it's that simple.

US based Sucker Punch took on the open world genre with a setting based on Japanese history and it was so authentic that it received high praise in Japan by critics and the public and a lot of people worldwide responded to that. So what if the Metacritic score is 83? That is the cumulative mark from the established media who grade on a variety of issues including originality, importance etc and this may be evident if and when the results of the industry's best game is different. But Players Voice award being decided by the public is arguably one of the most important, Sucker Punch should be commended for their big achievement.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I love both, I have Last of Us II ranked higher on my yearly list but Tsushima is either #2 or #3.

I really bounced off open world games this gen, and Tsushima was such a welcome change. There is always something engaging. If you needed to get somewhere far away the load time never took you out of the action. The world is beautiful and interesting, with a big reason the art style. The side quest are really good and overall I loved the story.

Plus it got a free multiplayer mode that is rad

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I thought GoT was fantastic, personally my game of the year I even voted for it. People around here seem to want to paint a narrative about people not liking TLOU 2. The game awards website was messed up for like a 10 minute window and we had a post saying it was hacked and Geoff reclaimed the site, all because of a retaliation to Druckmann tweet, none of which was true.

Im not sure why GoT scoring low is relevant, isn't that the point of gamers choice to vote where we feel reviews didn't get it. We've all had a low scoring game we thought was GoTY at some point, heck some of them might have not been nominated. I've spent 168 hours in GoT thanks to the free multiplayer that was a lot more fun then I expected. I didn't enjoy TLOU 2, Naughty Dog games are about story to me and I didn't like it, gameplay is the same with every Naughty Dog game with minor improvements that actually elevate the game. I rarely even get platinums in ND games. But I'm not going to pretend it doesn't deserve to be GoTY just because GoT is my game of the year.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say yes, because both games are legitimately great.

But I'll say no, because in my experience a game's critical response, both from fans and games media alike, is largely independent of a game's quality. Most people just straight up don't know what they're talking about with regards to assessing a game's craftsmanship. Rather than use their feelings as a starting point for critical analysis, most rely almost solely on how they feel while playing it, which not only can be influenced by so many factors external to the game itself, but also leaves plenty of room for misinterpretation of why those feelings are coming about.

Nov 9, 2017
IIRC the metacritic score was a little low because the game needed some polish, but I think if the reviewers played the game in its current state (after some much needed patches), it would score quite a bit better.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
It was one award that Ghost of Tsushima defeated TLOU2 for. That isn't indicative of one game being good and another being trash.

I'm noticing a disturbing trend on this site where there seems to be a sort of anti-Asian (at least in media) bias.

Ghost of Tsushima is a great game, The Last of Us Part II is a great game. 4Chan did their 4Chan thing, but it's not like they elevated some crappy 55 Metascore game to win a relatively unimportant award over a 100 Metascore one.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
It's my favorite game of this year. Gameplay is great, love the setting.

And the free content and how the handle patches and QOL additions is amazing.

Can't wait for a new one, maybe even more in a fantasy setting like its online component.

It was a game that felt finished.

I liked TLoU but it's gameplay was meh.

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
GoT is simply a more fun game than TLOU Part II with a more straight forward story.

The combat and traversal in GoT were sensational and it looked gorgeous.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I think what OP is probably getting at is TGA Player's Choice Award. TLOU2 was ahead by around 10%, and GoT ended up winning by around 10%. Unless there were very few votes when numbers were first reported (e.g. by the time of the Druckmann Tweet), it's statistically extremely unlikely that GoT would have ended up winning Player's Choice without a concerted campaign. On a similar note, if the running tally was not reported, I imagine TLOU2 would have won handily.

However, that doesn't discredit GoT or the critical and commercial acclaim it received. That would have happened regardless of the existence of TLOU2.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think TLoU Pt. II has anything to do with it

I think it's just another Ghost Recon Wildlands situation where the gaming audience here vastly underestimated the appeal for whatever reason

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are we really at the point that people cant find games good without it being tied to not liking insert big game here?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Absolutely. Its score is deserved and stands very much on its own. If anything it should have been rated even higher when I compare its score to the latest AC games (or those ones lower).

Jul 24, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima has some really satisfying combat especially on Hard. It's my favorite Samurai simulator, really like it!

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Not to take anything away from Ghost but it's an easier game to love. Maybe my second favorite game of the year.
It doesn't have 7 years of expectation and "tension" on it. Plus it's just a really awesome game in a setting people have wanted for so long.

I definitely think Hades could take the whole thing. Following the post release discussion of TLOU2, people recognize it's quality but also feel very conflicted. Not agreeing with plot points, feeling conflicted about certain events/characters, not enjoying the heavy drama, coming up with odd takeaways, etc. There's a lot there. It offends people. ND knew it might lose people and generate a lot of discussion but maybe not to the degree some are taking it (mainly alt-right types). I think it's brilliant but some see it very unpleasant and unlikeable. (i would strongly disagree)

But the more easy going games like Hades and Ghost of Tsushima are easier sells for GOTY, that are of excellent quality that don't turn people off. TLOU2 is provocative for better or for worse.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
No, I mean, of course would be praised by what it is, but its used as a anti Part II, swap Part II by a game like God of War, and you would see a total difference in reception and GOTY talk, Spiderman was way better received and hyped than Ghost and didn't stand a chance against God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Are we really at the point that people cant find games good without it being tied to not liking insert big game here?

Fandom melts your brain. If you're so invested in a product that you can't understand how a similarly well-regarded product is actually preferred by some other people, please take a step back.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
No, probably not. I recall initial impressions were that it was good, but I really didn't hear any talk of GOTY. It's Sony's take on an Ubisoft game. That sounds good, but nothing amazing. So yeah, I think due to TLOU's polarizing reception GoT is getting talked up more.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would have won regardless of 4chans trolling. It's possible that people just like the game based off its own merits.

I don't think TLOU2 is polarizing either unless you also browse 4chan.

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
I love both games. But looking back on them I think I'd vote for Ghost. A great game can stand in its own and you don't have to blame 4chan trolls for everything

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I don't think saying "I think TLOU2 was bad" should be a polarizing statement.

It was absolutely Naught Dog's weakest game to date. It was 10 hours too long. Its last chapter felt stapled on and super unsatisfying. And its gameplay was pretty stale compared to its predecessors.

I personally hated TLOU1's gameplay too, but the game succeeded there because of its intense focus on the relationship between Ellie and Joel, the gorgeous settings and set pieces, and the impactful narrative.

My cousin watched me play TLOU2, and at one point, we both looked at each other and went "really? are we still in Seattle?"

For a Naughty Dog game, it was just such a huge let down. Uncharted took you all around the world, and at least TLOU1, you had the seasons changing, you visited multiple locales (urban vs rural vs the woods), etc.

The gameplay, however, is just weak. The stealth sections don't hold up when compared to Dishonored, Hitman, Metal Gear Solid, Mark of the Ninja, or Splinter Cell. And the shooting sections just aren't very satisfying or fun (as with all Naughty Dog games, tbh).

Naughty Dog thrives on its characters, set pieces, and settings. TLOU2 really just had the characters. It lacked the other two for me. It spent 8 hours too long in Seattle.

I think places like Resetera get so caught up in the obviously wrong and bad-faith opinions - hate of Abby's muscles, hate of the LGBT relationships, etc. - that it ignores very legitimate criticisms of the game.

I am surprised Ghosts won, but it was definitely better than TLOU2.

Hades deserved to win imo.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer GoT to TLOU2. So there's probably plenty of people out there who aren't Maga heads with bad faith views who are voting too.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Ghost of Tsushima one of the fastest selling 1st party PS4 games ever?

Kinda ridiculous here.

I dunno who needs to hear it, but it's okay to not like TLoU, it's also okay to prefer other games; hell I didn't vote for either of those.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Of course it would. It's an amazing game, regardless of what people thought of TLOU2.

Personally, TLOU2 is a brilliant game, arguably Naughty Dog's best in terms of, well, everything they're known for. Ditto for Ghost of Tsushima. It's all subjective, of course, but both games are fantastic.

For me, playing GoT after TLOU2 was such a perfect complement. TLOU2 was great, but emotionally taxing. GoT, while definitely having a similar heavy themes, balanced that with a beautiful and serene environment, and due to it being an open world, as opposed to "wide linear," I was able to pace the experience to my own comfort. Roaming the world, finding secrets, doing side missions, or just taking in the environment. It was a much more relaxed experience.

I'm glad it came out after TLOU2!

I'm also a huge fan of Sucker Punch, and have been since the Sly Cooper days, so I was expecting a fun game, and I was correct in that assumption!

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think so. It's basically the feudal Japan era assassin's creed game fans have been asking for for years that ubisoft never bothered making.

It was bound to be popular regardless. Most open world games are.