• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
User Warned: self promotion
Discussed on our podcast, Game Pass Gamecast, this week was Gears of War, and one of the topics that was raised surrounding the franchise is its original marketing campaign, and how well it sold Gears as a new IP. It leans heavily into environmental storytelling and the dark, hopeless tone, and left so many consumers instantly intrigued as to just what the hell the game was. Personally, I think it tops the list in terms of selling a new IP in modern gaming (hell, most of media) in the 21st century.

What do you think, Era? What other examples do you hold in high regard in marketing games? (Not a new IP, but I think you throw Halo 3's "Believe" campaign high on the list)

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I can think of a single game that was marketed better than Gears.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never once played Gears of War but that is the only video game campaign I ever remember. I can't remember a single other one. So I'd say so, yes.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hmm.

You know, maybe. There have been lots of games that had really stellar and amazing marketing that sticks to me to this day (like Halo 3), but I can't think of any others that were a new IP. Gears feels like it really takes the cake in that regard. If something occurs to me, I'll come back.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That ad was absolutely everywhere when that game came out and had my dad and uncles asking about it even though they don't play games. Definitely one of the best if not the outright best.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think Death Stranding is weirdly up there in mystery.

It's reaching people I know that barely get outside your usual FIFA or 2K

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is definitely inching it's way up there. I'm not sold on the game, but I'll be damned if CDPR isnt setting the bar for new IP hype

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Maybe, but I was already sold on Gears way before that commercial. Is it better if an evocative commercial "sells" a new franchise, or if the franchise sells on its concept alone? It's not like the commercial captures the tone of Gears gameplay at all.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I only remember the Mad World commercial because of how bad I thought it was when I saw it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I kever knew this ad was so big. I just remember seeing it once at the cinema before Shrek 2, and thought it was very cool. I think I already had the game though.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Cyberpunk is definitely inching it's way up there. I'm not sold on the game, but I'll be damned if CDPR isnt setting the bar for new IP hype
Eh, the hype for Cyberpunk is up there but there hasn't been an ad that makes you go "oh wow, I want to try that". The best they've done in that regard is show that Keanu Reeves is in the game. That doesn't really say anything about the game itself though aside from there's a famous actor in it.

That Gears ad was huge and was shown with movie trailers before the whole "ads" before movies was really a thing because it fit.

The only other video game ad campaign I remember as fondly as the Gears one was the one that parodied it; Bad Company.
I LOVED Bad Company but I honestly don't remember ANY marketing for it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. I wasn't even interested in Gears back in the day, but that advertising was so fucking good, and it gave the game a mysterious and dramatic vibe, yet without revealing what it's really about. It made people curious about a brand new IP. That's not easy to do without showing a lot or without throwing in the cult of persona like with Kojima games nowadays or with Romero stuff back in the day ("Romero's about to make you his bitch" ring a bell to anyone?).

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm trying to think of past video game ads that were on TV (so I am excluding YouTube) and I can only really think of Gears of War - Mad World being the best.

I'm also thinking of Lara Croft Lucozade but that was more Lucozade.

OP
OP
Travless

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
I kever knew this ad was so big. I just remember seeing it once at the cinema before Shrek 2, and thought it was very cool. I think I already had the game though.
Personally, outside of TES IV: Oblivion, I think that marketing campaign was the first big push showing off the 360's power to overarching casual gaming audience. While it wasn't gameplay obviously, it still showed what could be rendered on the system, and looking back at it for 2006, it was a pretty hefty jump from the previous gen.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Eh, the hype for Cyberpunk is up there but there hasn't been an ad that makes you go "oh wow, I want to try that". The best they've done in that regard is show that Keanu Reeves is in the game. That doesn't really say anything about the game itself though aside from there's a famous actor in it.

That Gears ad was huge and was shown with movie trailers before the whole "ads" before movies was really a thing because it fit.

I LOVED Bad Company but I honestly don't remember ANY marketing for it.

Here's the Gears parody.

And a MSG parody for good measure.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Discussed on our podcast, Game Pass Gamecast, this week was Gears of War, and one of the topics that was raised surrounding the franchise is its original marketing campaign, and how well it sold Gears as a new IP. It leans heavily into environmental storytelling and the dark, hopeless tone, and left so many consumers instantly intrigued as to just what the hell the game was. Personally, I think it tops the list in terms of selling a new IP in modern gaming (hell, most of media) in the 21st century.

What do you think, Era? What other examples do you hold in high regard in marketing games? (Not a new IP, but I think you throw Halo 3's "Believe" campaign high on the list)
any examples of the campaign?

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
There was a Halo 3 video with some old guy, and a load of figurines or something. That got me pretty pumped for Halo 3 I remember.

May 17, 2018
It's up there for sure but, I think it's kinda corny looking back at it now.

But, no doubt it was a massively successful campaign.

Oct 28, 2017
I know this a random example, but I remember allot people who weren't at all into games having their MySpace profile song being mad world around 06. Specifically that version of the song, which I believe was a cover. So it definitely felt like it hit hard with the general audience from my prospective. It also aired allot during football which was big by 2006 standards. Gamer or not, it made you look at the tv.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There haven't been that many games that have taken the non bombastic trailer route like all the gears games.It certainly made it stand out.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I know this a random example, but I remember allot people who weren't at all into games having their MySpace profile song being mad world around 06. Specifically that version of the song, which I believe was a cover. So it definitely felt like it hit hard with the general audience from my prospective. It also aired allot during football which was big by 2006 standards. Gamer or not, it made you look at the tv.

That was because of Donnie Darko, not Gears

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It was a great, moody trailer. But my answer is no. Not at all.

That's because the mood of the trailer is not translated to the game at all, imo

The tonal change is not as drastic as something like "Dead Island" trailer - game, but It's there

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it was glorious. I really like the recent Rage 2 everything is out to get you trailer as well, mostly because it was 100% aware of the target audience.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Marketing for the first three games was on point. I remember staying up late to watch the Gears 3 trailer on Jimmy Fallon i think

Oct 19, 2018
Marketing for the first three games was on point. I remember staying up late to watch the Gears 3 trailer on Jimmy Fallon i think

Seriously, I think every trailer for 1-3 was fantastic. Really wish they could hit those heights again. It's crazy to compare those campaigns to what we've gotten so far for 5. Even 4 paled in comparison, marketing wise, to the original trilogy. And to answer the OP, yes.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

This trailer blew my mind back in the day and I listened to that song over and over again. I remember thinking it was crazy when CliffyB was on Jimmy Fallon, thinking it was a glimpse of the future for the medium. I was a dumb 16 year old lol.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
it was kind of overdone imo. the game definitely has a hopeless and cynical tone, but it has a human element that isn't quite so neat and buttoned up. the ad is so much cornier and less genuine feeling than the game, which doesn't try to overly tug on heartstrings in a cheap way.

a moment I love in the first gears is when they've been through hell, are waiting for their extraction, and just collapse on the ground exhausted. then they get picked up and sent on ANOTHER mission.

That's what it's about. the churn of humanity by humanity in service of its defense, not just the horror of monsters. I'm playing gears 4 and i feel like the franchise has kept that in mind through the years.

Games have moved on from the point where something like the mad world trailer is impressive. it takes more than that now.

Dec 2, 2017
It's a bad stupid ad. But at the same time, when I first saw this ad, it actually made me aware and desiring not just of the game, but the Xbox in general. So yes, very successful ad.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
An underappreciated new one is AI: The Somnium Files, the game is not even out but it might have the best marketing campaign idea I've ever seen.

You see, a character in the game is a YouTuber so they actually made a virtual YouTuber out of her who uploads (uploaded?) weekly videos on YouTube.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was HUGE at that time, helps too that Gears was a technical marvel at it's time, funny how down the brand right now though

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'd say the first assasins creed would be up there. It's hard to judge nowadays because hype is build through so many different ways with how big social media is.

Status
Not open for further replies.