• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Gaming Companies/Pubs/Devs/Platforms doing enough during COVID-19?

• Yes

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 32.6%

• Total voters

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Just taking the L on this one guys, it was a bad take, and I apologize for it. Underestimated the impact of the pandemic in the early stages and I apologize.

Was having this discussion with some friends but they're not super passionate about games. I wanted to put the question to Era in a poll.

Honestly I feel like while gaming news has been kinda booming, and we're already in the middle of the Spring release cycle (tons of new games, etc), that it's easy to look at gaming, see a ton to do, and think that companies are responding, except that most of this stuff already was gonna happen, COVID or not.

I personally feel the industry response from games is weak, especially compared to other entertainment industries that are MORE physically focused are doing more than games, which to me is a huge lost opportunity and even a disservice to people who could be driven to stay home and game rather than other activities.

• Lowering the barrier of entry in online communities. Longer term free trials for stuff like Live/Nintendo Online/PSN.
  • Expansive catalog wide sales and deals (digital only).
  • Gaming community events. I'm not talking about a game or two. I mean gaming wide. Servers up? Double XP. Free drops. Limited time items with uplifting or cool sentiments. Online tournaments with prizes.

So what say ERA. I don't care about the fact I have 350 games on my backlog. I'm not who I'm concerned about. I see millions of kids/families out of school and work, tons of untapped audiences who aren't listening to shelter in place orders, who could absolutely be entice to stay indoors with some cool gaming deals. Am I being too harsh? Or do you agree?

PS. Not trying to say no companies are doing anything, or put unreasonable burden on workers during a crisis. I mean easy but slam dunk things that could be facilitated remotely that we see in other industry sectors, that I don't see here. Definitely feel free to share things you've seen too as examples of the otherwise. I definitely know there are plenty.

Edit:
Took plenty of the feedback below and modified some of the OP, as well as thanks Plagarism for modifying my bad poll/title. I apologize if anyone is taking this as me just complaining for more free stuff or complaining. Just curious to see if others felt that games could be promoting gaming to bring people online and indoors when we need to be as a society. It's totally fair to disagree and I expected it. Or if others have felt that their gaming company HAS been doing a good job of promoting people to log in and play.

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I mean, for the most part, they're also having a hard time staying at work and are facing down the barrel of this being a long-term problem that massively affects upcoming schedules, so they're probably not super clear on what their numbers are actually going to look like soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They've been pretty restrained considering how opportunistic and easy it would be to use this pandemic for larger scale marketing and PR.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
You need employees to run all those promotions and man-hours are in short supply these days.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Are you complaining that corporations aren't exploiting this pandemic for money and good PR?

OP
OP
sersteven

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I mean, for the most part, they're also having a hard time staying at work and are facing down the barrel of this being a long-term problem that massively affects upcoming schedules, so they're probably not super clear on what their numbers are actually going to look like soon.

If that's the case, can you explain the discrepancy I pointed out in my post regarding other entertainment companies doing all of the above? I totally get that, hence my bottom line. I don't want anyone at risk. But a lot of these things are what all industries are going through, and I think we're all seeing the collective good some of these promotions or programs can do.

I am just getting a huge greed vibe from the gaming industry and its very depressing, and also a lost opportunity. Not seeing a event sale on Steam, having to buy my friends Nintendo Online subs at full price, especially because they wanna play animal crossing but aren't working right now, etc. All anecdotal. I as a consumer personally don't want anything.

But as someone in IT who is doing a ton at my own job to open new channels of access/usability for our users in this time, seeing games, which is such a natural fit, not do anything substantial, feels like a dropped ball.

Are you complaining that corporations aren't exploiting this pandemic for money and good PR?

Yes. I don't think its odd to complain about corporations not doing their part in a capitalist system. If anything, it highlights the difference to me more, as its a huge opportunity for new customers/players.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Animal-Crossing-Medical-Mask-Golden-Axe.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this would be about doing more for their employees
It sounds like this is just OP wanting free/discounted stuff

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All those things take time. You also need to be really careful about promotions during a crisis or you will come off as predatory

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's a difficult time and everyone was caught by surprise, lot of people probably very busy planning how to handle console launches, game delays and canceled events. It's not really a time to ask for anything.

That said, a bunch of smaller studios have been giving away free games on twitter and other social media.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think anyone is owed anything by any videogame company regardless of what economic or real-world circumstance is taking place. As a consumer, no one here is entitled to free PSN or Xbox live, or ps now, or game pass.

If you see more value in those services now because you are stuck indoors just be thankful those services exist.

In a time when most internet companies are throttling bandwidth to maintain stability on a global scale. I can't imagine it also being wise to run a massive tournament or events.

OP
OP
sersteven

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I thought this would be about doing more for their employees
It sounds like this is just OP wanting free/discounted stuff

You can say more about that if you'd like. It's pretty much in the same veign.

I'm an essential employee in IT. I've had less time to game than ever these past two weeks. But like I posted above, I have friend and family bored out of their mind who I think gaming opening up the gates a little more within a safe fashion would be a net good.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Most services now are rolling back what they can do because of the demand at the moment. Opening the floodgates more seems like a disaster at the moment

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an essential employee in IT. I've had less time to game than ever these past two weeks. But like I posted above, I have friend and family bored out of their mind who I think gaming opening up the gates a little more within a safe fashion would be a net good.
I guess the question becomes what is safe and helpful (ie. a food delivery app eating delivery fees) versus exploitative/opportunistic?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
lol - they have other issues right now like the safety of their employees.
Of course gamers find a way to make everything about themselves again.

If you are on ERA you have likely access to a massive backlog, are subbed to PS+, GamePass, NSO and know about all good f2p games on PC, mobile and consoles.

There is enough "free" entertainment out there on consoles, PC and mobile.
Kids are fine as well and have usually enough content on their tablets, phones or handhelds. Every big digital store has weekly sales already - dont expect a big happy Covid 19 sales promotion.

Dec 14, 2017
One, these things take time and it's not easy even during normal times.

Two, there are examples of this already. I believe Halo 5 has some relief loot system now. And on another end plague Inc devs actually made a inverted mode where you cure the world. It's happening, just not at this fantasized scale you imagine

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just as an FYI, demos take a LOT of time and energy and money. Totally with you on stuff like in-game events (double XP, etc.), but asking devs to offer things for free or do more work in an already very difficult time is a lot to ask.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen a bunch of companies give out games and have some big sales, so I don't know what else there is to do on those fronts. Maybe more stuff could be made free or put on sale, but this thing will last for a very long time and there's no need to rush.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
OP
OP
sersteven

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I get everyone's arguments and they're definitely fair. Again, not trying to underscore the effort of the games/developers/publishers, or how much it takes for this stuff to happen. Not asking for miracles. Also not asking for anything for free, but I can definitely see why posters would think think that as well based on how I angled the topic. You can take me at my word that I really wouldn't stand to benefit from any of this stuff, or not. But I really didn't make the thread with that mindset. If thats the general feeling from posters, I'll gladly have the mods delete the thread, change it to be more reflective/etc.

I've been recommending free COVID related stuff to family/coworkers/friends etc almost every day these past two weeks. Gaming I felt was such a natural fit, but just has been more quiet. That's all. I see a large event where we're trying to encourage people to come inside. Gaming has always been my escape. Me and some friends held a Zoom smash tourney the other morning we self organized. I'm thinking more stuff like that. Encourage users to stay and play, which is a benefit for everyone.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't ask one question in the thread title and the opposite question in the poll if you want accurate results.

EDIT: also "limited COVID loot" is just disgusting.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think free or discounted online bonuses would be a great thing to give out, even if just for a month or two, in the same way Frozen 2 and Onward coming to Disney+ early was. People have already bought into the ecosystem.

For now, though, of the big entertainment industries, gaming seems the least effected (I think I've had a few mobile games tell me their staff was already work from home-ing) so while bigger projects for the summer and fall may see delays, smaller projects are likely going ahead fine-ish, and I've seen a genuine surge in Switch buying so I'm not sure if they feel a need to do huge discounts. They might be able to hang out as normal for awhile.

OP
OP
sersteven

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
this, I answered wrong the first time and had to do a double take, wtf lol

Is it really that strange? I get my wording can make it sound awkward, but it obviously would never be like a "COVID19 Sniper Rifle". More like stuff to commemorate a big community event, or fundraiser. Anything positive.

My apologies everyone is taking it as more of a consumerist slanted topic. It was more of a "nows the time for people to stay inside and game, I'd love to see game companies help encourage it". So that's on me. But not my intent. I'll message a mod to have the poll changed.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You can say more about that if you'd like. It's pretty much in the same veign.

Did you miss news about streaming services downgrading bitrate to reduce bandwith because backbone cannot sustain increased use? And you want to make it even shittier.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I'm surprised games were released in March. Given how movie releases were delayed till summer and beyond .

I think gaming companies are doing enough - I'm so glad animal crossing released.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have a couple of friends that if there was a summer/winter type of sale going on would probably buy quite a few games.
Its hard for them to justify buying a game for >30€ so having a sale when they have free time would probably make them use quite a bit of money.
That said with the companies reducing the download speed (specially PSN which was already horrible) i don't know how viable a big sale is.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I get what OP is saying. Multilayer focused games could have events and challenges running. My son likes doing the SBC's in fut for example and has asked why EA don't put out more for people to do. As far as I know Minecraft has released some kind of in game tutorial to help players improve at building etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be freebies, social and community based events can really help people struggling with the mental issues that self isolation can bring on.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
As for other industries, the sports leagues making their subscriptions free for a bit are doing so because they have zero new content and it's a good way to show people what they can offer whenever things resume if they're doing it right, though my experiences with the MLB and NFL apps seem to suggest that it's better to go through the site since the MLB app has nothing on it and the NFL app on Roku TV is a pain in the ass to use. Movie studios are putting their recently released movies on digital storefronts and streaming services because they can't make any money from them any other way since theaters are shut down for the foreseeable future and this is the only way to recoup costs and bring some money in. Movies that they're banking on have been delayed significantly, so they're not releasing all movies early for the hell of it. They want that box office money and are hoping theaters aren't closed for too long, but there are other factors involved with that.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Did you miss news about streaming services downgrading bitrate to reduce bandwith because backbone cannot sustain increased use? And you want to make it even shittier.

Yes, the infrastructure and tech side needs to be considered. More people playing at the same time, or more people downloading multiple 100+ GB "Free games" would simply break things even further.

Its been rough just with the daily work calls where I live. The internet cant deal with all this streaming and download from home.

This is a real crisis, and its affecting ALL areas, yes, even the internet-gaming side.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Can you give some examples of things other entertainment industries are doing?

Nothing I've seen is too impressive and some of it is borderline predatory. For instance, they released some theater films early.. but $20 for a rental is ridiculous. I'm also not sure videogames can just release early.. some of these things are still being patched mere days from launch. Which subscription services a have gone free? Netflix, HBO, and Apple are def all still taking my money.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly be ok if everything in 2020 got delayed a year, games, conventions, tournaments, everything. I'm not that entitled that I need staff risking their lives at work, and they can make their money full price next year.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I'm surprised games were released in March. Given how movie releases were delayed till summer and beyond .

I think gaming companies are doing enough - I'm so glad animal crossing released.
Those movies were delayed because of theaters. Some movies are going to go straight to digital now (Trolls 2, for example).

Nothing was really standing in the way of Animal Crossing sales other than game stores closing - there was always Amazon and the eShop.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I tweaked the title and the poll question, so that they're both now reflective of the original poll question, but hopefully more clearly worded.

OP
OP
sersteven

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I'd honestly be ok if everything in 2020 got delayed a year, games, conventions, tournaments, everything. I'm not that entitled that I need staff risking their lives at work, and they can make their money full price next year.

Definitely a fair shake. I don't mind delays or cancellations in light of this stuff on top of it.

I'm fine with taking the L on this one guys. I'm was just surprised that gaming which is pretty much built around staying home and the internet, hadn't been more explosive. I definitely understand people thinking its bad optics to run sales/try to capitalize. I also just think that the economy still needs to keep going, people still are going to be looking for things to do in expanded free time, etc. It's been exciting seeing people all coming together via Animal Crossing or other new games. I'd love to see more of it.

Because they're different industries with different workflows, needs, skillsets, projects, etc. and a 1:1 comparison is child-like.
Fair enough and no need to be like that, I wasn't trying to imply they were, despite it looking that way.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the most important thing for them right now is to take care of their employees. Don't push people too hard, let everyone work remotely, accept that the times are hard on everybody and try to stay afloat without layoffs or such.

OP
OP
sersteven

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
niantic made it easy to play pokemon go at home, does that count

It does, as does EA's stuff its doing with its sports titles, which I've heard friends talk about.

I think the most important thing for them right now is to take care of their employees. Don't push people too hard, let everyone work remotely, accept that the times are hard on everybody and try to stay afloat without layoffs or such.
Definitely fair.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have thought this is something that needs insider confirmation, seeing how there's a global pandemic, but yes, many people are working from home and don't have the same capacity to work that they normally would.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Poll questions that are different than the thread title question annoy me.

This irks me too. Given the huge discrepancy between the lopsided responses to this thread and the surprisingly close poll, I'm going to guess that this is skewing the results too.

Anyway, I think most big publishers are struggling to figure out how to respond to this situation with the appropriate level of sensitivity, while also simultaneously dealing with what could potentially be huge delays to hardware and software releases at the worst conceivable time (right before the beginning of a new console generation). That they seem to have largely avoided doing anything scummy and that they are apparently prioritizing the health and safety of their employees is, frankly, better than I expected. I don't need sales and freebies.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm an essential employee working in health care at the moment. This boards obsession with these gaming companies "not doing enough" is so odd to me. They don't owe us anything and acting like they do is childish. This pandemic has effected industries all around the world. Restaurants that are still open are giving their food away for free in the hopes that when the pandemic is over more people will come in. When you have developers working from home that fucks with pipelines all over the place, and frankly I'll be amazed if any games after FF7 and RE3 get released without a delay.

This is an unprecedented situation but we need to stop acting like anybody owes us anything. Let alone video games.