• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Better" is subjective. Games would be different because they would no longer be built around market considerations. I don't really care whether that means some genres or blockbuster type games die. All I care about is that the workers control the means of production.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
gamings problem isnt capitalism. its affordability, manpower and the time it takes to develop a game.
if game dev was as accessible as music creation, film making, and art gaming would be as creative as tho's mediums

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a dedicated communist and marxist-leninist, I just know I'm gonna have to end up ignoring this thread out of frustration.

gamings problem isnt capitalism. its affordability, manpower and the time it takes to develop a game.

Err lol what, you really think that those things have nothing to do with capitalism?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Well I mean communism usually comes hand in hand with control of the media.

You'd just have loads of patriotic video games.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Well, taking a look at communist nations and how they treated their artists, it doesn't strike me with much confidence that gaming as an art form would be better of compared to how it is today.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The current only real communist state left (NK) has no video game scene.
The scene under the ussr was made of imported/cloned hardware (atari, 8bit microcomp, pc) and pirated games from the west (tetris is an exception). official "games" were supposed to have a purpose, like military training or propaganda.
so, at least according to history, no.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As always, Communist ideals sound great to people not under Communist rule

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Under communism hard working entrepreneurs like Randy Pitchford and Tim Sweeney wouldn't be paid for all their hard work in making games like Borderlands and Fortnite successful.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dec 25, 2018
I was in Vegas and my Uber driver lived in a communist country before America. She told me you do not want to be under communist rule.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tetris was developed in the USSR

Checkmate, Libertarians
So was Hatris.

tumblr_osjxz73rDi1uvuzqko1_400.gif

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
shareholders lead to bad decisions for gamers as conumers (lootboxes, microtransaction spam, etc.), but the capital they provide probably wouldn't be replicated under communism, and that's assuming absolutely ideal communism, not the murderous regimes we've seen in history

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism is not problem within games industry nor any other industry. But because most big publishers are publicly traded companies it creates market where every year profits must grow. It is awful to watch Valve's downfall when those Chinese conglomerates breath on their neck.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What?

Have you seen the complete lack of color in the old Eastern Bloc? Communism is a killer of creativity, expression, and talent.

This isn't up for argument. It's a fact. It's what happened.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I'll think you would have to define communism. If you would presume that we are just talking about economic and not a society based on the Soviet unions communism (censure and so on) it would probably look like the indi scene but with some bigger project's.
I'm a democratic socialst (Sweden) but I really don't think that gaming would be better in a world that wasn't driven by profit. We would have more artful and interesting games bur would still be in the snes era.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, cos there are no incredibily militaristic, pro-American/Western video games at all at the moment.
Well yeah there's loads. The military also sponsor stuff. Don't gun manufacturers want their brands in game sas well?

What's the incentive in a communist structure for art? The government is controlling the funding. So why would they fund something critical of them or something without a beneficial message to the state?

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As always, Communist ideals sound great to people not under Communist rule

I have friends who live in Cuba and friends who lived in the former GDR and they certainly prefer it to capitalism.

What's the incentive in a communist structure for art? The government is controlling the funding. So why would they fund something critical of them or something without a beneficial message to the state?

The state funds art in absolutely loads of countries. Just look at theatre in Germany. Every city has a state funded theatre with permanent ensembles fully funded solely by the state. Germany also has the best theatre in the western world, the most progressive, avant garde, and challenging.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
YES, of course they would. didn't you play the newest North Korea games that released in the past years ? such great games

"We'd see more creative projects " under communism, LOL, what those kids are learning in school these day, gez

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism is not problem within games industry nor any other industry. But because most big publishers are publicly traded companies it creates market where every year profits must grow. It is awful to watch Valve's downfall when those Chinese conglomerates breath on their neck.
"The problem is not capitalism except it is capitalism"
Got it.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
nah this would still involve people playing the game (aka gamers) and frankly thats the biggest problem facing the industry. once we find a way to get rid of these people then and only then can the video game industry truely flourish.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The goverment would fund the media and theres no guaranteed a goverment will give any shit about funding fucking videogames in the first place

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Errrr where did I say that?

Err lol what, you really think that those things have nothing to do with capitalism?

You seemingly implied that the manpower and time inherent to 3D game development are linked to capitalism someway. I think you're arguing in good faith though and I'd appreciate a clarification.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You seemingly implied that the manpower and time inherent to 3D game development are linked to capitalism someway. I think you're arguing in good faith though and I'd appreciate a clarification.

I think you're arguing in bad faith so I'm not gonna engage.

It is awful to watch Valve's downfall when those Chinese conglomerates breath on their neck.

"It is awful to watch American capitalism lose out to Chinese capitalism."

You may as well just blatantly state how much you love American imperialism. If people think that a white America built on the wealth of the slave trade should control the world economy I wish they'd just actually state it, instead of hiding behind dogwhistle yellow peril crap.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
so long as they stay within party guidelines and also serve as propaganda machines for the regime....sure

Status
Not open for further replies.