• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decide

• Yes, and it'll happen within the next 10 years

Votes: 47 6.9%
  • Yes, but it still won't happen for more than 10 years

Votes: 30 4.4%
  • No, but they will at least eventually give human characters voice acting

Votes: 306 44.9%
  • Game Freak will never even implement proper voice acting for humans, let alone Pokemon themselves

Votes: 298 43.8%

• Total voters

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
i would prefer them not using the anime cries, i wasn't the biggest fan of them and honestly it would just add in a ton of extra work and use up even more space since most pokemon have different names across every language. Like blubasaur has 7 different names across all languages so you need to record 7 different crys which then take 7 times more space then just having one and while that doesn't seem like much, most pokemon are like this when it comes to naming so it just because a gaint problem due to how extra work would have to be done.

over all it just wouldn't be worth the effort and that time and money would be better spent else where
They need to do this instead :

BEAR!

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Absolutely not. Why spend more if the franchise is making bank as it is? That's sorta the Pokemon games' motto.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
If they ever do, they will have to "redub" them since most of the pokemon voices we know in anime are tied to voice actors. But honestly i like the chiptune voice, is charming and a nice throwback, IF they do voice the pokemon, i would love to have a option to toggle them.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
No, because nonverbal creatures shouting out their own pun-based name is fucking dumb

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Legends is already on a good path working with the classic cries but making them sound more varied and natural. I think they will continue building on that. Maybe they will update the older cries again and take the opportunity to add more variations to each Pokémon, since they don't have to do it for all 1000 of them at once now that the dex is limited.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
cartoony impossible creatures with pun names being all good but vocalizing being "fucking dumb" is some otherworldly dissonance

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They pulled back from Pokémon anime voices in Legends, so probably not there. But the human characters will likely eventually get voice acting, as it's getting pretty jarring at this point.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, be it in 5 or 50 years, it's the natural evolution. Just don't use the anime voices :x

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hell no, I'm glad they took that shit away from Pikachu (and Eevee?) in Legends Arceus. Voice acting for the human characters would be really nice, but recording grunts for every single Pokémon doesn't seem feasible tbh, so cries are fine and should stay. I hope both Pikachu and Eevee return to their normal cries in the new gen.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I love how alien some of the older cries sounded. Pikachu's zaplike cry is iconic and the best part of pla was bringing that back.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
No, they didn't even do it in Pokemon Snap 2 (the sequel to the game that was filled with them) so they aren't gonna ever do it in the mainline.

The anime stuff is just separate, if even Pikachu changed back recently that should give you an indication.

Humans having voice acting? Yes, for sure... eventually lol.

I guess they feel they'd have to have so many languages the cost is actually a bit, why spend that when right now they don't have to? The games will sell anyway.

BUT

I feel at some point they will actually have to.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't think that Pokémon fans actually want that? usually the sentiment I read that people prefer the game cries..

sure, add the anime cries as an option maybe, but not default.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly would be cool if the used animal Crossing style voices for *characters* at least.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with cries, I just wish they would redesign them. So many sound like they're still coming out of a Game Boy speaker.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They are probably looking for ways to decrease work per Pokemon not increase it.

Humans 50/50.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I prefer the cries, but I think some reaction noises that sound more like Pokemon Snap would be cool. I really liked those animalistic noises. More sounds than just sent out/fainting/occasional sound moves.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I don't know. I think it is probably down near the bottom of the list of problems they need to solve on the series. If the question is "ever", I mean yeah I'm sure some day they'll change them up. Eventually the tech will get to a point that they'll probably be able to AI generate a bunch of better sounding cries easily an not coordinate a gazillion voice actors for weird sounds.

megamanofnumbers

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Not gonna happen. Whether for good or bad reasons. Game Freak is a small indie studio, cut them some slack

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the anime bit where they say their names, it's dumb as hell. Super cringe as a design choice.

The cries are leagues more interesting but I'd love it if they updated them all beyond their initial 8-bit sound font form.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I voted yes bc I want to vote it into existence. I'm tired of the garbled sounds that are just hold over from limited tech. I want the nice voice acting that the anime gets.

Oct 27, 2017
Anime cries were always and will always be an awful idea and I can't for the life of me understand why people like them. They exist because the anime isn't text based and isn't showing the name of the Pokemon you're seeing anytime they're on screen. They're a mechanism for helping people remember the Pokemon. In any other context it's goofy

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
cartoony impossible creatures with pun names being all good but vocalizing being "fucking dumb" is some otherworldly dissonance
I think it's more than fair for the pun names to seem extra dumb when the creatures themselves are saying them

it implies that puns are deeply woven into the fabric of the universe

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I think the games need some voice acting, but i'd like more sound effects and character voices over the Pokemon. I don't really mind them too much but there's such an obvious difference when you have Gen 1 Pokemon in the game with later gen Pokemon and their cries are more refined and robust (even though i think they did update some of the older cries)

A nice compromise would be to have them make more animalistic sounds.
But first I'd be much more concerned about the character voice acting. The entire "Piers singing" incident in SwSh was just woefully unacceptable.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more than fair for the pun names to seem extra dumb when the creatures themselves are saying them

it implies that puns are deeply woven into the fabric of the universe
lol spot on. I'd rather the pun names come from dumb, tactless humans rather than the creature itself nudging you with its elbow - "exeggcutor!! (get it??)" As if their evolutionary traits over the millenia lead them each to say their bad pun.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
As if their evolutionary traits over the millenia lead them each to say their bad pun.

"evolutionary traits" in a world where everything is born in eggs (including ghosts) while rats and birds can have offspring together in the span of an hour before metamorphing into something completely different and learn a maximum of 4 very specific magic spells.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"evolutionary traits" in a world where everything is born in eggs while rats and birds can have offspring together in the span of an hour before metamorphing into something completely different and learn a maximum of 4 very specific magic spells.
lol you're acting as if the game universe doesn't have recorded history and species origins just because the entire premise is tacitly ridiculous

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
They kind of are. The whole world speaks 1 language and that one language is ridiculously centered around Pun-creatures. Viruses are stat buffs. God is a Pokemon.
none of that is quite as dumb as a creature being born with the name "Geodude" and instinctively knowing in the fabric of its being that it is a "Geodude"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If your scientific name is geodude I think you get a pass to do whatever you want and nobody bat an eye

Pokemon with stupid voices is completely in line with the tone and overall absurdity. Trying to make it "real" is the complete opposite of what should be happening. Bump of Chickens MV Gotcha is still the best animated thing from Pokemon because it leans into that absurdity hard while also having the cool battle effects. Also up there with best animation is parts of Twilight Wings like this extended battle cut where Charizard sounds like a dragon but Goodra sounds about as silly as it looks.

Last edited:

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Ironically I could see them re-using some original cries (for the oldest Pokemon), similarly to how they re-used the original sound effects of several attacks like Hyper Beam and Psychic.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ngl I freaking love how the original gens pokemon still have floppy disk sounds while new pokemon sound all majestic like

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will ever be able to spend the time necessary to do this for all of the hundreds of Pokemon, once they open up that can of worms they're just creating another endless project for themselves.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pokemon cries are their actual voices

The anime does not dictate the games

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I will only accept Pikachu's cry being a voice actor saying "Pikachu!" Otherwise, voice acting for Pokemon cries just feels really wrong/annoying to me. It's hilarious that they say their names in the anime, but would get so old and annoying while playing the game.

Aug 7, 2020
Eww, no. Pokemon should have cries. Also, if they choose to move to the Pokemon names, it's an easy solution thanks to the anime. But they never will outside of Pokemon like Pikachu who retain their name internationally, because it would be a localization nightmare. Much easier to have Pokemon with generic cries than to localize every single one. There's a big difference between retaining Ikue Otani & Aoi Yabusaki's voice acting versus localizing every single Pokemon.

Humans will probably eventually get voice acting. The games are clearly designed & staged for it but Nintendo's lack of expertise outside of English & Japanese voice acting holds them back.
BOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No ambition and lack of trying while evidence proves otherwise.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The current implementation they use lets them have the Pokemon make different variations of their cry for stuff like camping, I don't think they'd want to change that

But anyway, I wouldn't want any Pokemon to have their anime cry besides Charizard (I HATE this new game cry). I'd much rather have animal noises like the Stadium games and New Snap

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe in human character voice acting, but for Pokemon, no. The most I hope they do is make them sound like they do in the Pokemon Stadium games, where they sounded like actual creatures.

www.youtube.com

Pokemon Cries Comparison: Stadium 1+2 VS Pokemon R/B,G/S

In the Pokemon Stadium games, they attempted to recreate the cry of each pokemon in a more organic/realistic way. I think for many of them, they succeeded so...

EDIT: Holy shit, re-listening to Stadium cries is getting me super nostalgic. Fuck.