• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, just like real life first person view, there's our nose obstructing our view at all times. So instead of having a camera in front of the character's face like we usually have in first person games, we will be looking through the character's eyes. The nose might be blurred so it wouldn't be as annoying.

Do you think it's a good idea?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It should appear sometimes when you become aware you have a nose you can sorta see in the very bottom of your vision and then it sticks around until you stop being hyper aware you have a nose.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Picturing a lot of people crossing their eyes now and questioning if they've always been able to see their nose but just not noticed it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Easiest way to see your nose: close one eye. That black you see on the other side is not your other eye being closed, but rather your nose obstructing the view of the eye you have open. Your brain doesn't try to process the view of your closed eye at all, iirc.

We see our nose all the time. Our brain is just good at ignoring it

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Easiest way to see your nose: close one eye. That black you see on the other side is not your other eye being closed, but rather your nose obstructing the view of the eye you have open. Your brain doesn't try to process the view of your closed eye at all, iirc.

Right? I'm sitting here wondering if I have a huge nose or something based on the number of people questioning it. It's super easy for me, especially with one eye closed.

OP
OP
Kaivan

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This!

Thanks for the assist.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
You really should've included some images to support this take.
16NOSES-COMBO-facebookJumbo.jpg

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like game devs post random ideas here sometimes lol.
But no it doesn't add anything to the user experience

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, my nose is actually not visible in my normal field of view, just when I look down and squint.

Wait, some people can't see their nose? How?

Probably dependend on the size and shape of their nose. I honestly had no idea that some people can see their nose.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't actively notice it, but I can absolutely look at it at any time. Some of the replies in this thread make it sound like some people cannot see their nose if they try.
I think it's people not realizing their brain "ignores" it when both eyes are open even though it's definitely there. I'll have to look it up but I believe even if you loose an eye the same thing will eventually happen because the nose is "irrelevant" information.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
WHY CAN'T I SEE MY NOSE?
Your brain filters out your nose in a few ways: One, your nose blocks part of the visual field of both your eyes, so when your brain receives the information your eyes are transmitting, it constructs a whole image from the unblocked information from both eyes. Two, your nose is in your peripheral vision, so you don't notice it as much. Three, it's so close to your eyes that it's out of focus, because you're focusing on things that are farther away.

As it turns out, your brain filters out a lot of visual information, not just your nose. If it didn't, you would be overwhelmed with so much sensory input that you wouldn't be able to function. This is, for example, why people who wear glasses don't usually notice them.

Now, that doesn't mean you can never see your nose. In fact, you can see it right now. Close one eye, then the other. You'll be able to see your nose on the side of your eye. But when you open your eyes again, it disappears.

This illustrates the importance of getting regular eye exams, especially if you're at risk for developing glaucoma.

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I've seen this brought up in regards to vr and it could help there, not sure how this would even work in non-vr screens.