• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think face masks will still be prevalent after most of the world gets the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 186 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 176 25.1%
  • Yes, but I would like it to stop

Votes: 33 4.7%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 305 43.6%

• Total voters

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
for 2021? Yes, nothing will change. Following that, assuming we get Covid-19 under control, I'll wear masks for sure in the winter and in any crowded areas. The pandemic has permanently changed certain habits.

Also, I'll be carrying masks and sanitizers when traveling.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
No. It was already an issue in many places in the middle of a pandemic, so it will go away outside of the pandemic.
And too many people - on Era as well - want to use them as an alternative for staying home when you're sick.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Even now a lot of people hate wearing masks or wear them improperly majority of the time. Once masks are not mandatory after the vaccine is mass circulated to the populace people will toss them right away. I will wear one when I feel sick for now on though.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I wouldn't mind if they were more the norm during "flu season" - time and again people have demonstrated they will not stay home, so at least a little protection would be appreciated.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Only places I could possibly imagine wearing one after getting a vaccine is airports and airplanes. I don't mind getting the flu once a year or so.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Masks will still be around and a lot more normalized (in the US) but largely their use is going to drop like a rock. That said, I could see masks still being pretty common on flights or public transportation or anywhere you think you might be cooped up in close quarters with a crowd of strangers. I'd like to think people will start wearing them more often if they're out and about while feeling sick but I don't have enough faith in humanity to think that will be common place.

Jan 29, 2018
I'd like for it to be normalized in the US to wear one when you're sick but I don't want to have to continue wearing one every time I go to the grocery store. While I know they're helpful I can't help but associated masks with a reminder that the world is fuck I have little control over how fucked it is. It's quite frankly stressful.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hate what they do to my skin, acne is omnipresent nowadays.
But i guess i can wait, obviously public safety comes before vanity

Nov 27, 2017
California
When I go to conventions and live events I'm wearing a face mask from now
I'm tired of getting sick from conventions and people have shit breath

that being said by mid 2021 you'll see masks get dumped to landfills as a lot of people are sick of them and wanted them off asap back in April

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
You will not be able to walk into a bank or other financial institution wearing a facemask after 2021.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Once the government no longer mandates wearing one I won't wear one unless there's a reason to, like I have a cold.

The thing I worry about is mask wearing has been so politicized that the harassments and threats might carry forward once the pandemic is over. I saw smartphone video a week ago of a couple getting harassed by a maskless lady for wearing masks while walking on a footpath. They weren't near her, they weren't trying to make her wear a mask, but she was so offended they were wearing masks when they "didn't have to", she went into a raging rant.

Even after the pandemic is over, mask wearing is going to be associated on the right with Democrats and "new world order" conspiratorial thinking for a generation.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
The thing I worry about is mask wearing has been so politicized that the harassments and threats might carry forward once the pandemic is over. I saw smartphone video a week ago of a couple getting harassed by a maskless lady for wearing masks while walking on a footpath. They weren't near her, they weren't trying to make her wear a mask, but she was so offended they were wearing masks when they "didn't have to", she went into a raging rant.
Do you have a link for that video, please?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this becomes cultural like Asia, especially in cold/Flu season.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be more prevalent than non-existent, which was the norm before. But nowhere near what you see in Asia.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
In America? Definitely not. I'll definitely be wearing them when I get sick. I have no qualms about wearing them.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
In the United States, It's a struggle to get people to even wear these things and when they do their nose is hanging over the top. People over here are not doing it out of any sense of altruism.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll see more people wearing them on public transit and in crowded spaces. But I don't think they'll be common (I believe about 20% of the population wore them in Asia at a baseline pre-pandemic).

Wearing one while you are sick and have to be out and about makes a ton of sense to tbh

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Hell no. Mask are fucking uncomfortable for me. Asians got nothing on this nose.

I'll use one if sick though or while traveling. I always used to get sick after hoping on a plane, so no more.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my view of airborne contagions is forever changed. i'll probably be masking up in public the rest of my life

as for the west writ large they'll drop it asap obviously

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
There is something sad and worring about people that want to keep wearing a mask when "in large crowd" or "because they are comfy" or "because they hide my face" outside of the flu season or a pandemic context...

Low self esteem isnt a great thing.

Ps : if you dont want to shave, don't shave ?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
People will stop using them around springtime I think, saying that since vaccinations have been going on for a few months it's now safe. I hate having to use them but I'll continue to do so at least for the foreseeable future. I had started to use them before covid around flu season on public transportation and I'll probably keep that up. The pandemic has really shown that people love being fucking disgusting germ spreaders.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I hope the US does become a majority-mask country but it absolutely won't under any circumstances. I'm probably going to wear a mask in public from now on regardless though.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect the mask burning parties to start in earnest once the vaccinations hit the hoi polloi.

jonathanp

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be wearing them regularly into the next year. If I get vaccinated l could see myself only wearing them in crowded spaces/stores or on public transit. I can't see myself never wearing one in public again, especially in flu season.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The US is for sure not going to adopt face-mask wearing like Asian countries did. I'll probably wear one in the winter in public though.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I personally have a really bad immune system so I likely should have been already but even beyond that, why not? I live in a city and the pandemic exposed how awfully prepared we were for something like this. If it can help stop the spread of sickness in general to the workplace or businesses we frequent, I don't see why we wouldn't take that opportunity as a people.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope it becomes common courtesy to wear one when sick, especially on public transport.

I fear people will judge those who still wear them though and people may start to look down on those who still wear them.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
No reason to have mask wearing when there isn't a raging pandemic. Wear them in the hospital or around really old people but in general, unless you are sick with something contagious there is no need to have the entire population wearing masks. Listen to the scientists and health professionals.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I have 3 kids. In a normal year, we all get colds and flus all year round. This year, no one has gotten sick even once, was has been really great. Mask wearing definitely played a part in that, so I'll be sticking with it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Depends on where you live.

I expect them to be fairly prevalent here in Seattle for instance. It's highly likely many companies will continue to require them, and a lot of individuals will probably continue to use them on their own accord.

It will of course also be prevalent to NOT wear a mask, but they'll stick around, potentially permanently.