• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Endgame better than The Dark Knight?

• Yes

Votes: 586 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,239 67.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. Spider-Man 2
  4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
This is the top five.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked Endgame.

But TDK, Black Panther, and maybe Spider-Verse and Winter Soldier were better.

(Ragnarok and TTGTTM are actually pretty close as well.)

Last edited:

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Endgame was fine but it's not even the best MCU film. Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians 1 are all better in my opinion.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Probably not even in the discussion. MCU has better movies, and besides, the massive ensemble and scope of Endgame, fun as it is, dilutes some of its biggest payoffs (which, don't get me wrong, really are big)

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Eh, I still don't think TDK is even in my top 3 Batman movies.

Not in a world where Mask of the Phantasm exists.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
im not much into comic books, maybe avengers is better on the merit that it has so many comic book characters
but as an actual movie, TDK by far. It's just a fantastic movie in itself.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
TDK is the 🐐
I will never get tired of watching that movie, I might just watch it again tonight since I got the BR.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the idea that TDK is just elevated in nerd culture and not commonly believed to be one of the greatest movies ever.

It's not that good, though. The entire Nolan trilogy has aged pretty badly ever since comic book movies started embracing their comicbookness, to be honest, and is probably the single biggest contributing factor to the failure of DC to compete with Marvel - nobody wants grounded, "gritty" comic book movies since Marvel showed the world just how wacky their movies can be.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
End Games's not even the best Marvel movie; Infinity War, Thor: Ragnarok and the very first Hulk (fight me) are better.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
I loved TDK but I feel it hasn't aged as well as I thought. It can fall apart on repeat viewings if you think about things too much
All the hokeyness and contrivances complained about in TDKR were already there in this one imo

like the jokers plan was to shoot gordon so he would fake his death and cause batman to expose himself, which would actually be harvey taking the fall and cause batman to come to his rescue, where the joker can play paussum so that gordon can reveal he was alive, get the joker in custody where it turns out he wanted to get caught so he could see who batman would save between harvey and rachel, and so he could explode the police department and escape.

uhhhh yeah.

Last edited:

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Dude: what gives you the right?! What makes you different from the rest of us?
Batman: I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Alfred: Shall you be taking the Batpod sir?
Bruce: In the middle of the day Alfred?
Alfred: The Lamborghini then? Much more subtle.

Bruce Wayne: What about getting back into the plane?
Lucius Fox: I'd recommend a good travel agent.
Bruce: Without it landing.
Lucius Fox: Now that's more like it, Mr. Wayne.

Lucius Fox: [interrupting before he can say 'bat'] Like a *submarine*, Mr. Wayne. Like a submarine.

People treating Dark Knight as that joke free area, utterly unaware of the silliness always fascinate me
The movie having a little humor doesn't necessarily make it a fun movie overall.
In comparison the marvel movies are lot goofier, and I find that more appealing.
But I really don't mean to imply that I think The Dark Knight is bad because it isn't. It's just not to my taste.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that good, though. The entire Nolan trilogy has aged pretty badly ever since comic book movies started embracing their comicbookness, to be honest, and is probably the single biggest contributing factor to the failure of DC to compete with Marvel - nobody wants grounded, "gritty" comic book movies since Marvel showed the world just how wacky their movies can be.
Personally I disagree. The reason DC failed over Marvel is because of terrible execution, not because TDK was fundamentally flawed or any such thing.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Iron Man 1 is still the best MCU movie, I can't really compare Endgame and TDK since they are vastly different, but as a film, TDK is better.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
1 - TDK
2 - Logan
3 - Watchmen
4 - Winter Soldier
5 - GOTG
6 - Endgame

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
If I weigh the entire MCU against the TDK trilogy, definitely. Took me around the Civil War movies to think this, but MCU as a whole has definitely provided enough great moments.

I'm not the obsessive type of fan to ponder and weigh just one movie against another; most of them I've never even watched more than twice.

Maybe if Batman fought better and didn't look more like a guy flailing around, I'd be more hesitant to give it to marvel. The non 'superhero' stuff is great though - the atmosphere, Bale,Caine, Freeman, Ledger, Oldman. But, c'mon, Batman with bug-eyed sonar vision has trouble with Joker armed with dogs and a stick.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like others said, I wouldn't even count Endgame as the best Avengers film, let alone all time. Also, TDK while amazing, would also not be in my top 5. Out the top of my head, it would look something like:

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. Batman Begins
3. Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse
4. Avengers: Infinity War
5. X2 or Spider-Man II

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
People forget that for a person to even appreciate Endgame they need to see around 21 other films, with half of them being mandatory to even understand what is happening. TDK can stand on it's own legs and a first time viewer can appreciate it.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There was just more emotional weight to Endgame because of the build up and how well we had gotten to know all the players. Heath makes Dark Knight. I always found Bale's Batman a little weak. He was a good Bruce though.

Ledger is the only memorable thing about the movie to me. Other than that, it's a po-faced crime drama wannabe. I felt this way after leaving the theater, and it was my most anticipated movie of all time. It was crushing.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Logan, r rated gritty depressing as fuck comic book movies made over 600 million dollars

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Endgame is the best comic movie in the vein of epic/crossover style comics.

Spiderverse is the best stand alone story comic movie.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hard to compare really as they are completely different kinds of comic book movie.

TDK is my favourite DC movie. I need to see Endgame again, to see where it ranks on my MCU list. It's an awesome movie though.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Ledger is the only memorable thing about the movie to me. Other than that, it's a po-faced crime drama wannabe. I felt this way after leaving the theater, and it was my most anticipated movie of all time. It was crushing.
It's a good thing Ledger represents the vast majority of that movie then...

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Endgame was good, but TDK is just something else. I mean TDK had Joker killing the GF and turning Harvey. The stakes, the setup was just amazing.

Thanos doesn't even kill any of the heroes in the final fight.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I rewatched TDk for the first time in 6 years while I was home sick from work .. and the answer is absolutely not. I liked Endgame, but I can't imagine how one would put it above the Dark Knight, which reclaimed its spot as the best superhero movie ever made in my mental ranking after that rewatch.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I disagree. The reason DC failed over Marvel is because of terrible execution, not because TDK was fundamentally flawed or any such thing.

Oh I didn't mean because the movie was flawed, but it tried to ground something that shouldn't be grounded. It worked for the Nolan trilogy because it was self contained thing, but everyone tried copying it tonally - which just doesn't work for anyone that actually has superpowers.

Then, after Avengers was a homerun success, folks started to see that comic book movies are better off funny, colourful and weird and now it just makes the Nolan trilogy as a whole look... dull and muted.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Dark Knight is right up there among the best movies I've seen. End Game was a good time and not much else.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame is a celebration of the past 11 years of the biggest superheroes and superhero movies of all time. I was watching the Double Toasted review of it and I agree with them completely. It's a better comic book movie than TDK even if it's not a better overall movie. It's as if the people behind the MCU were told they could only make one more movie. It's a huge achievement.