• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Endgame better than The Dark Knight?

• Yes

Votes: 586 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,239 67.9%

• Total voters

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
The dark knight was never the best comic book movie

And neither is end game (though it is much better than tdk)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't regard The Dark Knight as the best of the genre. In its own series alone, I think Batman Begins is a better movie. And in the MCU alone, I don't have Endgame in the Top 5. To me, the best one would probably be something like The Winter Soldier, or Logan, or maybe even Spider-Man. But I haven't given the question much thought, since I find it hard to come up with a defacto best. My favorite would be Guardians of the Galaxy. If Endgame is better than TDK? I'm not sure.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I still think GotG2 is the best Marvel movie to date.

Endgame just didn't have the same heart.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
This is only tangentially related, but as a person who cares very little about superhero films in general what sets The Dark Knight apart is that it's a good standalone film. It's possible for me, a person who has no investment in Batman as a character (let alone a "cinematic universe"), to enjoy the film.

Most superhero films do not pass this test.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can think of five or six MCU movies better then TDK. It hasn't aged well.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
It's not even the best MCU movie, Winter Soldier is. I'd also put Spider-Verse above it

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Its not even MCU's best movie. It's Winter soldier. ENDGAME is pure hype and good but its good for different reasons and fanservice and proper movie of this scale.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Unpopular opinion: outside of the Joker, TDK is not that great. Too uneven overall.

Outside of Joker lmao what a hot take. Movie starts with Joker and he is like in all scenes.

"If you take out main character from movie " Is this even joke . Also there are amazing performances from Gary Oldman,Lucious Fox,Alfred Caine, alone.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Endgames strength is the emotional payoffs for 10 years and 22 films. Because of this it lingers on character beats that would normally get glossed over but you don't mind because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

To be honest neither IW or Endgame are top 5 MCU films (Ironman 1, Avengers 1, Winter Soilder, Guardians 1. Thor 3 and Black Panther are all better films.) and of those films only Winter Soilder and Black Panther get close to that bar. Winter Soilder is on par with the all time greats, Black Panther shows flashes but is trying to do too much (for obvious reasons) and it's pacing suffers for it

As for the actual all time Superhero film list.

Has to be Superman (1978) Spidey 2, TDK, Winter Soilder and TBD

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
TDK is great, but besides Ledger, i dont really put it all that high because as a comic book movie it lacks any sort of spectacle, that's not what Nolan is going for and it's fine but the highs of Endgame beat it easily. I mean I never cheered out loud or sob silently while watching TDK.

And for me the best CBM is and probably always be Spider-Man 2.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
Honestly, I thought Venom was better than Endgame, but I'm not invested in any of these movies like many are.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
TDK is great, but besides Ledger, i dont really put it all that high because as a comic book movie it lacks any sort of spectacle, that's not what Nolan is going for and it's fine but the highs of Endgame beat it easily. I mean I never cheered out loud or sob silently while watching TDK.

And for me the best CBM is and probably always be Spider-Man 2.

different type of crowd pleaser.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Ledgers Joker was as awesome, TDK wasn't all that.

Spider-verse and Logan's are amazing though

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These TDK hot takes are too wild for me. Everyone saying it was too long is insane. That movie is so tight and that last Harvey Dent scene is so vital, I can't imagine the film having anything cut from it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Endgame is pretty far from being the best marvel movie in the first place. I'm not sure I even think TDK is the best super hero movie, but it's certainly better than Endgame. The latter is a lot of fun, but it feels more like a celebration of what came before than a great movie in its own right.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Logan, Black Panther, GoTG1, Winter Soldier and Infinity War dethroned it a long time ago.

And Begins was always better anyways.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame is better than Dark Knight, but Logan is better than both of them.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
TDK is still #1 because of how it transcends the genre

you could definitely make a case for endgame being the best "pure" comic book movie

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The more that I think about it so many CB movies are ahead of Endgame. Hell, Unbreakable is a damn masterpiece and might be the best of the lot.

Apr 21, 2018
Endgame wasn't even that good. I can name better comic movies off the top of my head.

Spider-Man homecoming
Spider verse
Logan
Days of our future past
The dark knight
Batman returns
Sin city/300 if those count
Winter soldier
Thor ragnorak

Endgame was a serviceable Avengers movie. But the hyperbole is out of control. People love cameos I guess.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Question seems presumptuous. Endgame isn't a better movie than Infinity War. It's definitely a story that needed to be told, has a few great action scenes and tons of emotion, but it's not.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
No. Endgame doesn't work as a stand alone film. If coupled with Infinity War (which I thought was a bit better), then it'd be up there.

Also have to take into account comic book movies not from the big 2. Like "Men in Black" or "Road to Perdition".

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Endgame is freaking amazing, but TDK has a better handle on its themes and it is more consistent. Also TDK has the advantage of being focused, Endgame does not always handle the scatter as well as it could, though admittedly handling a scatter is more challenging than a focused movie.