• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will these be the lowest selling mainline?

• No

Votes: 1,086 86.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 166 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I know for a fact it'll affect sales. It's the biggest reason I'm not buying the game, therefore sales are affected.

It's hard to say how much it will be affected in total though. It'll still sell well and I'd be shocked if the Dex cuts made even 5% of the wider audience not buy in.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
You know, after deliberating on it for months, I was in fact planning on getting Shield.
But after those pigheaded responses by Ohmori on the subject of the Exp Share, and the maybe comments on what Pokemon will be in future games, I've changed my mind.
I'm going to stick to this. I don't want to reward Masuda and Ohmori for these bullheaded decisions. Even though I'm pretty sure It will sell amazingly regardless.
That said, even on Facebook's Pokemon Page, you see people spamming angry faces and talking about it in the comments, even months later.
It's going to have AN effect on sales to an extent, that's for sure.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Doubtful, but I really hope so. After saying they will never make a complete Pokemon game again they deserve an ass kicking to course correct in the future, otherwise well only see less and less effort from them.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'm not buying them, so that's 1 less

but no, the sales will most likely not be impacted. I wish more people would vote with their wallets but it's clear that many are fine with this

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

It means it will sell like 15 million at launch rather than 15.01 million at launch.

Many of the people complaining are still going to buy the game. It's a Modern Warfare 2 scenario.

The ThankYouGameFreak hashtag has proven that it's not that big a group who are causing problems and not getting the game

That's a hell of a way to put it, especially when you're the paragon of rational poke-thought and the chief of misinformation police.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The people on forums like this, who are the loudest about this issue account for less than 0.5% of all sales. And most of those people are still buying the game.

In truth no significant group amongst the potential buying population cares because the potential buyers is too big.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I dunno maybe like 500 people will actually boycott over it.

And then being on Switch will prob make it the best selling game in the series past the gen 1-2 pokecraze.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
No way. The people who are that deeply upset about it mostly exist in a minority echo chamber, and 90% of those within that echo chamber are going to buy it anyway despite their rage. Either way, mainline Pokémon is going to sell to the masses.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first one I'm buying after Y/X. I think it will sell gangbusters!

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Nah, most people don't care. I wanted to buy it along with a Switch but I won't buy neither, but still, I don't think it's gonna be a big number.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I don't even know what the fuck "Dexit" even is. I know I can look it up, but I'm sure it's some stupid, faux outrage over absolute bullshit.

Anyway, the game will sell just fine. It will have flaws, yes, but people will enjoy it. I pre-ordered Sword version from the eShop yesterday. Mind you, I haven't played a core Pokemon game since the Red version way back when I was a kid.

Whaleman

Nov 14, 2017
Why isn't there an option for "Yes I do think it will effect sales but this will still be the best selling Pokemon game." I think dexit will lower sales but not enough for the creators to really care or notice.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it will because it the second game in a row that is cutting content. Just like call of duty, it took several disappointing games to actually move the needle.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
It's not going to affect sales in the slightest, but successful companies look at a lot more than JUST sales to determine the trajectory of their products.

Skyward Sword made a lot of money. That didn't mean Nintendo didn't listen to the critical feedback of the game and adjusted course for their next installment that would be BotW.

Fire Emblem: Fates made a fuckton of money. That didn't mean IS systems completely disregarded the feedback from fans who loudly pointed out the major flaws in their previous installments.

Hell we even had someone who worked at EA in one of the Dexit threads talk about how Sims 4- despite making a lot of fucking money, had very serious team meetings to discuss the fact that fans and players of the game ultimately said the game felt like it was a massive downgrade from Sims 3.

Fuck I've even seen Pokemon FANS who proudly stated they were getting the game on Twitter and other social media that- if they had to be as unbiased as possible about their opinion of Pokemon have stated that they Pokemon games have either A) Have always been objectively shit since X years since it's release or B) Fully admit that compared to other games even tangibly related to it's genre have always been the worst of them all.

The point being is that perception, feedback and sales go hand-in-hand. Just because ONE aspect of a game is very successful doesn't AT ALL negate the negative feedback it has received, and you aren't helping any media at all by using sales point as a bludgeon to shut people up on criticism.

Assasins Creed as a yearly release was still making assloads of money and they STILL made the decision to put the brakes on that shit because EVENTUALLY the yearly release bloat would of killed off the franchise.

This is the first time Pokemon had gotten backlash like this for a loooong time. That's something they should be paying heavy attention to regardless of sales. Because if they come out of this learning to just ignore 'negative feedback' than as sad as it is to say it, that's going to be the beginning of the end for them. It's not going to be immediate. It never is with game franchises. It's going to be a slow trajectory downward until we all end up asking to ourselves 'how did this happen'. But at that point it's generally far too late. Not many franchises get comebacks like Fire Emblem did. (and that was primarily because Nintendo felt sorry for them and really pushed Awakening with that buy one get one half off deal with Shin Megami Tensei.)

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I think this may actually be the end of game freak. They shouldn't have messed with the gamers.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
No way. The people who are that deeply upset about it mostly exist in a minority echo chamber, and 90% of those within that echo chamber are going to buy it anyway despite their rage. Either way, mainline Pokémon is going to sell to the masses.

You know there has always been something eerily cult-like about this rebuttal of 'you'll buy it anyway'. Because there have been a lot of NatDex critical people who have stated they will still buy the games just as much as you have people who literally call it a deal breaker.
Pokemon has been a major part of my life since I was 5, but it's not a goddamn drug to me. Is it really hard to imagine there are people who are true to their convictions and just won't buy a game they won't enjoy? It's not like $60 is a small monetary expenditure or anything?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword made a lot of money. That didn't mean Nintendo didn't listen to the critical feedback of the game and adjusted course for their next installment that would be BotW.

You're already mistaken because the main reason why Nintendo changed directions with Zelda is especially that SS was one of the worst selling 3D Zelda, and thus made less money.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
You're already mistaken because the main reason why Nintendo changed directions with Zelda is especially that SS was one of the worst selling 3D Zelda, and thus made less money.

It made 'less' money in what sense? That title still sold fucking millions and made massive profit. It wasn't in the red at all. That doesn't negate anything I said.

EDIT: It's a good thing too that I ALSO provided other game examples that were promptly ignored to hone in on this.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It made 'less' money in what sense? That title still sold fucking millions and made massive profit. It wasn't in the red at all. That doesn't negate anything I said.

In the sense that it sold a lot less than previous entries and an indication that people weren't attracted to this specific game, meaning that they needed to change things for what's next. On the other end, BOTW sold a shit ton of units and is pretty much the best selling Zelda game, hence why there's already a sequel in the works, since sales demonstrated that it's what people want
If Pokémon SwSh were to similarly sell a lot less than the previous games, it would also be a sign that people wanted something else. If they still sell as much or even more, it's an indication that it's actually what people want.

"negative feedback" doesnt apply to a vocal minority of people complaining on Twitter. I could see the point if you were talking about press reviews, but that then wouldn't apply to the SS exampel.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Why is the poll different than the thread title?
Yes the dexit thing will effect sales but the games won't sell bad, it could still be the best selling entry in the series but the sales will be effected by it.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
In the sense that it sold a lot less than previous entries and an indication that people weren't attracted to this specific game, meaning that they needed to change things for what's next. On the other end, BOTW sold a shit ton of units and is pretty much the best selling Zelda game, hence why there's already a sequel in the works, since sales demonstrated that it's what people want
If Pokémon SwSh were to similarly sell a lot less than the previous games, it would also be a sign that people wanted something else. If they still sell as much or even more, it's an indication that it's actually what people want.

"negative feedback" doesnt apply to a vocal minority of people complaining on Twitter. I could see the point if you were talking about press reviews, but that then wouldn't apply to the SS exampel.

And because you didn't bother to even read the rest of my original post I'll re-iterate again SALES is not and never should be the ONLY thing a company looks at in regards to how well a game is doing and whether they are going in the right/wrong direction.

I have literally listed MULTIPLE GAMES not just Skyward Sword where the game properties in question were still making an ASS TON of fucking money but because they looked at NEGATIVE FEEDBACK from a ''''vocal minority''' on Twitter/Era/Reddit they took that into account and made better games for it.

IS systems didn't look at just the SALES of Fire Emblem: Fates and decided that the '''vocal minority''' that thought baby shit, broken unit pairings, and the story were garbage as non-issues and ignored them. They seriously listened to that feedback and made Fire Emblem: Three Houses which utterly revamped paired units to simply be decent stat boosts and ONLY if they are paired with certain people, completely removed baby shit, and vastly improved the story.

IS had ZERO reason to do this because Fates made them a boat load of fucking money, but CLEARLY just looking at SALES isn't how game development works.

It's never BEEN how it works. You can pore over interviews from many games young, old, and gone where installments have clearly made changes based on feedback and gameplay data regardless of the 'sales' of the game. If a sizeable portion of your fanbase are upset about or vocal about something enough to STILL BE TALKING ABOUT IT for months prior to or after release than maybe you should take that into consideration just a little bit instead of saying 'oh well it's only X% of the fanbase anyway so they don't matter.'

Bethesda went that route for YEARS and they aren't doing so hot right now.

(also love the implication that the only feedback that matters is from journalists and peer review writers. lol.)

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
It will sell just fine. It'll be the first one I buy since the GBA days. Double pack that is. As a kid I always dreamt of of console Pokemon RPG. Lot's of friend also buy in for the first time in ages. None of them even now of Dexit etc. It's highly anecdotal tough. I could not care less because I never knew most of the Pokemon cut anyway, and the new ones were always the most interesting part for me anyway. I think it will sell in the 16-18 million range. Not showing major growth in numbers, but it's 60 bucks so revenue will be massive.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And then being on Switch will prob make it the best selling game in the series past the gen 1-2 pokecraze.

People said that about Let's Go and it didn't happen. Of course, you also had people saying it'd bomb, which also didn't happen. Although I think Let's Go already wasted the whole "first Pokemon on Switch" hype.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The two dozen people that are actually care about it (the Pokemon dex cut) will not make a difference.

In the end this talking on some sites about the game is actually more promotion for the game.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019
People said that about Let's Go and it didn't happen. Of course, you also had people saying it'd bomb, which also didn't happen. Although I think Let's Go already wasted the whole "first Pokemon on Switch" hype.

It remains to be seen how large of a new audience it brought in. My guess: It will offset the people not buying the game and both effects will be indiscernible. I don't see much growth (the ca. 20% that some people here are predicting) happening.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Let's Go is the best selling Pokemon remake of all time.

SwSh will surely be one of the best selling Pokemon games, even it is the most expensive one. It will sell to 95% of the fans and probably to many new people, because its the first good/modern looking Pokemon game since probably the first?

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
It will be the most succesful mainline entry since the first 2 gens and top S/M and X/Y. Games on the Switch are flying and Pokemon has the potential to be a 20+ million seller. Outside of hardcore gamers the controversy isn't really all that big. In the mainstream people usually haven't heard of it or just don't care. In my office 3 other colleagues plus me want to buy the game and only another one besides me has heard of Pokemon beeing cut and no one thinks it's a huge deal because 400 is a huge number and we all want to use new pokemon anyway. For me it's the first time since gen 3 that I am motivated to complete the dex because it's doable again.
And let's face it even here under us gaming enthusiasts I read the sentence "I will buy them anyway because Pokemon" more often than "I will boycott those games because Pokemon have been cut."
Those games will sell huge, no doubt about that. Without the controversy they might have sold even better, but I doubt the difference will be huge.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It was at 10.98 millions in the last financial report. That's bellow the final numbers of previous remakes, like ORAS' 14.21 millions. Maybe it will catch up by the end, but even if it does that it doesn't seem like it end up overperforming notably.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nah. I feel like there's been an outrage with every release since X & Y. It's hard to ignore their shortcomings, but I think people need to grow up and remember that games are plenty and only there to entertain. Move on, instead of using so much energy being angry...

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ModernWarefare2Boycott.jpg

but also Let's Go sold well and some people weren't stoked for that. Wasn't even a mainline game.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It was at 10.98 millions in the last financial report. That's bellow the final numbers of previous remakes, like ORAS' 14.21 millions. Maybe it will catch up by the end, but even if it does that it doesn't seem like it end up overperforming notably.
Actually, it was at 11.28 million units as of September 30th 2019, 10 months after launch.

Meanwhile, ORAS at 10 months after launch, as of September 30th 2015, was at 10.69 million units

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, it was at 11.28 million units as of September 30th 2019, 10 months after launch.

Meanwhile, ORAS at 10 months after launch, as of September 30th 2015, was at 10.69 million units
I don't get why people always ignore that LG is the FIRST Switch era game, and also the first ever console mainline entry. These sales had a huge bump from these factors and will slow down a lot after SWSH releases. I don't think it will outsell ORAS and even then it had a better chance to sell more than any other remake.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people always ignore that LG is the FIRST Switch era game, and also the first ever console mainline entry. These sales had a huge bump from these factors and will slow down a lot after SWSH releases. I don't think it will outsell ORAS and even then it had a better chance to sell more than any other remake.
It being the first game on a console puts it at disadvantage because of the much smaller install base. The fact that it is beating ORAS despite a much smaller install base and a much higher RRP is very impressive. Especially as so many claimed the game would fail.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I don't think they will sell the lowest, far from it. But I do think the sales will be affected significantly. Not talking about big losses but even a million less in the business world is significant, it's like 40 millions less income.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ok? I mean that's not the present point of contention.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It being the first game on a console puts it at disadvantage because of the much smaller install base. The fact that it is beating ORAS despite a much smaller install base and a much higher RRP is very impressive. Especially as so many claimed the game would fail.
Very few claimed it would fail? Most of this forum was saying it was going to be the highest selling game and stuff like that because "Kanto".

Also, smaller install base doesn't matter too much when it had an userbase of 40M+ these years to sell and it was the only Pokémon available to them, with a more active userbase than previous Nintendo systems. No other remakes had this chance.

I expected it to do 10M+ and sell similarly to other remakes and it's exactly what it is doing.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

SwSh will surely be one of the best selling Pokemon games, even it is the most expensive one. It will sell to 95% of the fans and probably to many new people, because its the first good/modern looking Pokemon game since probably the first?

the 3DS and DS games looked as good as its competition

this is nowhere near the best the switch has to offer. wild area looks dreadful!

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very few claimed it would fail? Most of this forum was saying it was going to be the highest selling game and stuff like that because "Kanto".

Also, smaller install base doesn't matter too much when it had an userbase of 40M+ these years to sell and it was the only Pokémon available to them, with a more active userbase than previous Nintendo systems. No other remakes had this chance.

I expected it to do 10M+ and sell similarly to other remakes and it's exactly what it is doing.
Loooooots of people were expecting the game to fail. The sales threads were so much fun to watch as a result. But I agree, I expected it to do the same as other remakes and it has done exactly that. I'll definitely be interested to see how Sword and Shield do. I do suspect it'll sell less than other new gen games but I would be quite happy to be proved wrong.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
LG were successful enough but people knew what they were getting, it was very clear that it was a quick game before the main entry. People have way more expectations from SwSh. And the communication has been far from ideal, most people didn't expect the cut to be that big. For me the biggest disappointment is learning from leaks and not GF themselves the actual number of Pokémon in game.
I still plan to buy the game because honestly I'm not the catch em all kind of player. I consider skipping the launch however and focus on other games I currently play just to send a message.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Let's Go was already at 10 million units at the end of January 2019 though, so around 3 months after launch. It had a big launch but its legs don't seem to be anything special for the Pokemon franchise. Like I said above, even if it does end up outselling ORAS, it doesn't seem like there will be any significant boost. Games like Breath of the Wild and Odyssey did record breaking final numbers due to standing out from their predecessors, not just due to "Switch".

Frida Kahlo

Apr 16, 2018
While I still think it will sell, I do hope that there's at least a sales' dent, so that future entries improve on the unfortunate mistakes made with this new release.
Related to the subject, anyone saw GQ's article?
It was a breath of fresh air to see a non-gaming renowned publication take on a gaming subject affecting the fans. They do also have the freedom of doing it unbiased, which is nice:

CyberMonkey

Jun 20, 2019
Sword and Shield will be fine in terms of sales, but I do feel like we have reached a critical point. We will have to wait and see how the game (and some of the new features, like Dynamax) are going to be received by fans. We also don't know what Pokémon Home is going to be like or what their plans are for the upcoming generation. I'm not sure what would happen to the sales of future games if there is another controversy.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If you listened to the forums, it would seem that Cyber Sleuth and Yo-Kai Watch 4 are going to destroy Pokémon

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Are we just going to ignore that LGPE are 50% more expensive, and therefore have generated more revenue than any other mainline Pokémon game since gen 2? The higher price offsets any "because Switch" boosts.