• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Days Gone continues the streak?

• Yes, on the higher end (89 or above)

• Yes, smack dab in the middle (84-88)

• Yes, on the lower end (83 or below)

• No (Less than 75)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's first party has had a hell of a run this generation. While Sony as a publisher has always been good, they have really come into their own this generation, finding their own style and aesthetic, and churning out some standout games. Since 2015, Sony has put out an enviable string of hits:
  • Bloodborne (Metacritic 92, Opencritic 91)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Metacritic 93, Opencritic 92)
  • The Last Guardian (Metacritic 82, Opencritic 81)
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn (Metacritic 89, Opencritic 89)
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Metacritic 84, Opencritic 85)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (Metacritic 91, Opencritic 92)
  • God of War (Metacritic 94, Opencritic 95)
  • Detroit: Become Human (Metacritic 78, Opencritic 79)
  • Spider-Man (Metacritic 87, Opencritic 88)
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission (Metacritic 90, Opencritic 89)
Do you think Days Gone, based on everything we have learned of it in the last few months, will live up to the general trend here?

I think it will. It will easily outscore Detroit, The Last Guardian, and The Lost Legacy, and I feel like with a score of 85-87, it will land in the same range as Spider-Man. What do you think?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The previews made it sound like a low 80s game for me, so yes it'll probably continue the streak.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will score along the lines of Detroit. Pretty good game but by no means among the cream of the crop.

The score will depend on how tired reviewers are of the open world formula I think. I'm guessing an 81 (though it will be a much worse game than The Last Guardian which got the same score).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
it will be an 80~83 MC (i lean on 82 right now), which is prefectly fine.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Below 85 higher than 75. My guess would be 79 right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will score along the lines of Detroit. Pretty good game but by no means among the cream of the crop.

The score will depend on how tired reviewers are of the open world formula I think.
I think it's not just about the formula, the execution also matters.
Days Gone is imbibing a whole lot of survival mechanics into its gameplay, which I feel will, if executed correctly, help it stand out.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'm a fan of PlayStation exclusives but this one is looking trash tier. Expecting the worst to be surprised.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Most likely not if one considers 75 to be a poor score (which it is most certainly not).

My estimation for this game's MC/OC is similar to Detroit Become Human.

Edit: Shit, I voted for below 75; my personal estimation IS 75.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, looks pretty generic but Sony seems pretty good at doing generic at an extremely solid level and at the end of the day it is generic bcs all its elements have been proven too work multiple time so while it probably will have nothing special it will be a perfectly enjoyable 8/10 game (i predict a MC/OC of 84-88)

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
That 'streak' is selective and doesn't include releases that aren't anywhere close to that level of general critical consensus.

High 70s to low 80s max for Days Gone imo. Same ballpark as a Far Cry game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's not just about the formula, the execution also matters.
Days Gone is imbibing a whole lot of survival mechanics into its gameplay, which I feel will, if executed correctly, help it stand out.
The execution I fully believe will be good. But good execution of something boring still results in boring. We'll see if the reviewers are bored of this formula yet.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
How on earth did the last guardian get an 82...

Regardless--it seems like from the previews people are having a lot of fun with the game. I think a low 80s score is likely because while I know there's some neat stuff they did with the enemies, the character and game design imo seems a little too out of date to score higher.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
In terms of sales? Yes. In terms of critical reception? I don't think so.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a dog in this race outside of having seen some footage at E3 and whatnot, but it kind of just looks like Zombies the game from what I've seen? Like, it looks like it might be a super fun, over the top zombie game with lots of mindless fun, but I haven't seen something especially compelling like the narrative hooks a lot of Sony IP have. So long as it's competent and isn't buggy, which I don't think first party releases have to worry about, I'm sure it will do in the 80s easily.

Oct 25, 2017
It should do fine enough.
Probably not as strong as Spider-Man or GoW but if Detroit scored well, this will probably do more than that

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see 79 at best. It's way too generic compared to the rest of the lineup to shine.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Between 78-82. Good game, that will sell ~5 million when all is said and done :)

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yes and no.
It will be a good to great game like spidey but not on the same caliber of gow or horizon or tlou2 most probably.
And i'm the number one fanboy in this forum for this game...

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Mid 80s is my guess. The game might not be original, but the gameplay loop and the fun factor that the previews hint at should elevate it to about a 83 to 85 is my guess.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
83 rating and will take the crown for playstation fast selling new ip from Horizon Zero Dawn.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not certain about the meta. But it'll do a few million in it's first month with relative ease.

If it doesn't review in the mid 60's of course.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That 'streak' is selective and doesn't include releases that aren't anywhere close to that level of general critical consensus.

High 70s to low 80s max for Days Gone imo. Same ballpark as a Far Cry game.
well it picked all of the AAA first party titles that i can think of (i guess astrobot doesnt really fit in there as its more AA), i guess it forgot MLB but all those titles seem to do 80+ on meta as well. doesnt feel that much selective IMO unless i forgot some really bad AAA title released post 2016.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think the game is going to end up being a sleeper commercially, but I foresee a number of critics awarding unnecessarily harsh scores because of a lack of interest in the genre and/or setting.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Yes. Looks very good, Sony gave them plenty of time and resources, I think it will be an 80+ game.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it does mid 80s. Because the amount of people who will melt down over watching the game succeed will be great lol

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
No idea. I'm unsure about the game, was wondering if I should pre-order it for a while now. Think I'll wait for the review first..

Status
Not open for further replies.