• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Did You Think of the Accent?

• Good

Votes: 447 70.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 127 20.0%
  • Needs Improvement Before the Follow-Up

Votes: 62 9.7%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he absolutely crushed it in Logan Lucky, but ... I don't think his accent gelled with me in Knives Out. It was a concern I had seeing the trailer, but just attributed that maybe his lines being cut awkwardly, but in the movie, it just, not bad, but just not right the longer it went on.

I'll use this deleted scene for example.

When a certain character tells him to give it a rest at the end, I was honestly expecting a reveal that he was faking it the whole time or something, not that that would've served the story in any capacity.

I still generally like the movie, but it's weird the say the lead talking was one of your least favorite things about it. It's why I can't get excited for a sequel because ultimately, Marta was the heart of Knives Out for me.

And not to seem like I'm hating on the over performance, I think this scene works of course. It's just whenever he went on for longer than minute straight.

Mostly curious to hear from people in the area more familiar with those accents.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

It still made me smile though.

Oct 25, 2017
Like what do you mean by good? It's not a real accent and he's not attempting one.
I'd say it's good in that it accomplishes the desired effect of making you go what the fuck is this.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what he was going for, but it adds character and was fun.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it sounded exactly like Spacey's from House of Cards.

Whether it's accurate, though, I'm in no place to judge.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I just remember when the movie came out, everyone kept going on about how much fun Daniel Craig looked like he was having, but I kept asking, but was it a GOOD performance tho?

Bad on purpose. Villain even comments on it.
I mentioned that in my OP, but that doesn't really make it a meta thing just because of that.

I don't really get the it's supposed to be bad thing. The characters are quirky, but everyone in the movie is playing it straight.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It's deliberately played up and over-done, and to that effect I think he nails it.

It's pulp southern

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
From the south with a twangy accent and all and I've never heard anyone speak like that in my state or surrounding states. Not even from Texas. Sounds like he was going for a Foghorn Leghorn thing. Or a fake Oil man like Charlie from Sunny. Which was probably the point...to be over the top.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
mentioned that in my OP, but that doesn't really make it a meta thing just because of that.

I don't really get the it's supposed to be bad thing. The characters are quirky, but everyone in the movie is playing it straight.
I don't think it's necessarily a "meta" thing, just an illustration that he's the only character who isn't played straight. And like the protagonist tells him, he's not actually a very good detective ^^

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah it was, can't wait for more stories with that character

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it in the context of the movie. He worked as a larger than life type of character in a movie with a lot of other larger than life characters.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was supposed to be hammy. It certainly wasn't "good" in the traditional sense.

The only reason I've thought of this movie at all recently is because we've had two threads on it. It is the very definition of "good, but forgettable".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was bad on purpose. It's a comedy voice, not meant to be a real accent.

Nov 2, 2017
Love the accent. Can't get enough of it! I know not a single person talks like that, but it adds to his character's charm. If he were any other way I don't think his line delivery would be as fun. Especially when discussing the family.

Oct 27, 2017
It's an over-the-top character with an over-the-top accent. It's obvious they weren't going for any kind of accuracy but more of a caricature of the southern drawl. It fit the film perfectly.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's not about it being realistic or "good".

In fact, it's hinted in the movie that the characters believe he's faking it and Rian Johnson has also hinted at it.

It's over the top, like a lot of things in the movie. It's why a lot of the characters make fun of it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Intentionally distinctive and goofy, so yes. I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie (liked, didn't love), but his character was wonderfully fun to watch.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about it being realistic or "good".

In fact, it's hinted in the movie that the characters believe he's faking it and Rian Johnson has also hinted at it.

It's over the top, like a lot of things in the movie. It's why a lot of the characters make fun of it.
Sure, but I don't have this issue with the other characters. Toni Collette seemed fine. The characters were caricaturey in some ways, but for the most part I thought everyone was playing it straight in the movie but I don't buy the whole "it was supposed to be over-the-top" because the same issue goes for the quieter serious scenes as well. It just sounds dismissive.

And no one ever said realistic.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Best part of the film and don't you dare say a damn word against it

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but I don't have this issue with the other characters. Toni Collette seemed fine. The characters were caricaturey in some ways, but for the most part I thought everyone was playing it straight in the movie but I don't buy the whole "it was supposed to be over-the-top" because the same issue goes for the quieter serious scenes as well. It just sounds dismissive.

And no one ever said realistic.
You have to think about him in relation to other famous on-screen whodunit leads. It's like the Southern version of Hercule Poirot:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was entertaining. So good in that way.

No idea if it was accurate and don't care because it was entertaining.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was distracting as hell when the movie started, but midway through the movie I started to love it. It's perfect. I'm 100% onboard for the sequel. I want more Benoit Blanc in my life.