• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think COVID19 will delay the Xbox Series X and PS5 launch?

• Yes

Votes: 740 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 369 33.3%

• Total voters

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
If this affects the iPhone then it will affect every single major electronic.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yes as factories and major store warehouses are only focusing on important items like health care items and food I can definitely see it being delayed for the time being. Right now a lot of people are focusing on the their own well-being and health and making sure they don't get the virus. So right now I can see it delayed. It needs to be.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. People staying at home is icnreasing demand for at home entertainment. And people are getting bored and desperate for new things to see and do. A new console might just help alleviate those feelings.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Yes. But not because of manufacturing or anything. Production in China has resumed as the pandemic is controlled there.

Rather, because of the massive recession that is brewing. Most people simply won't have disposable income to spend on $500-$600 machines at the end of this year.
But to be fair though anyone who was already planning on buying it day one on launch would've been saving up for it already, now while i dont see a delay a shortage will most likely happen, and mix that in with the potential recession and we've got a Wii situation on our hands, a short supply given to those saving up for early adoption, sounds like a win win to me.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
If over 20% of the population is unemployed and another 10-20% is barely getting by there will be no discretionary income allotted for such a purchase. Sony & Microsoft know this and will delay as themselves and 3rd party software publishers will not want a minuscule install base to sell games on.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately no. Profit > human rights everytime. Corporations are all about money and deadlines.

But I'll say this. Whoever delays their console in the name of public health and human rights will get my business.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on team full-year delay at this point. Many people aren't going to be in a position to buy the systems until holiday 2021.

I think this will be a combination of the state of the global economy, the state of next gen game readiness and lastly the hardware.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
But to be fair though anyone who was already planning on buying it day one on launch would've been saving up for it already, now while i dont see a delay a shortage will most likely happen, and mix that in with the potential recession and we've got a Wii situation on our hands, a short supply given to those saving up for early adoption, sounds like a win win to me.

Sorry to burst the bubble you are living in, BUT if you have $600.00 dollars saved up for a new system but Im out of a job then that money needs to go towards rent, utilities, food, etc.!!

The conversation with my girlfriend using your logic..."Sorry honey I know we only have ramen noodles to eat and we just received a turn off notice from the electric company and we are about to get evicted, but we cannot touch my Xbox Money because that was ear marked already earlier in the year and Im gonna go to Wal Mart atvmidnight and buy that instead of putting food on the table and a roof over our heads for another month"

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still think they will try and launch. Neither console manufacturer wants to hand the other a headstart, so both will do whatever it takes to not delay it, even if shipments are going to be low for a good while.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Its abit early to tell at this point. Lets see how the situation evolves first.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
If the Olympics can be delayed than so can consoles, both are billions of dollars businesses. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the hardware somehow magically makes it launch titles will definitely be impacted. We might get games that are rushed to make the deadline as devs work from home under suboptimal conditions. But maybe this could evoke change in crunch culture.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
With a recession/depression likely to happen even in the best case scenario, and a lot of people working remotely it means all the work has slowed down. Both Sony and Microsoft will likely have to wait until more people are back in work. They'll likely have deep sales on current stuff to keep going for the time being and restore consumer confidence before moving onto the next gen.

It'll throw back things massively, but at this point there's no other reasonable option.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago I would have voted yes. But given that both Microsoft and Sony just came out last week and specifically maintained a Holiday 2020 launch date, I'm going with no delay.

It seems China has already peaked and factories could start coming back online shortly.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
For now I'm going to say no because it sounds like China seems to be getting back to relative normal so the manufacturing probably is far enough out to still be okay. I could see them slightly delaying it though if they're having difficulty with having the major software releases ready for launch. Obviously a lot of that work can be done remotely, but there is definitely some loss in productivity when everyone is spread out so it could cause some delays. You can't fully replicate being next to someone and having the instant connection when everyone is all over the place. It's also probably harder to get people to "crunch" when they're not physically at the office.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I feel like its going to be a launch where both are sold out real quick and are sold out for longer than usual but not delayed. but who knows.

Jun 10, 2018
At this point it may be best for Sony and Microsoft to delay the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X to Spring 2021. With these lockdowns it's very unlikely that developers will be able to finish any next-gen launch titles in time without completely rushing them out the door before they're done.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I can see a delay but how big is the biggest question. What if Sony, MS and AMD agree to a holiday 2021 launch. The cost of developing these machines will surely be cheaper a year later? Lose less money day 1.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
While nothing would surprise me, I don't think they'll be delayed, maybe just reduced stock at launch

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm guessing they will. Or if they make it they will be supply constrained. Or if only one gets delayed it will be the PS5. I can be patient and I'll be OK with whatever happens.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
To me the only variable is supply chain readiness, which seems to be coming back in China for the most part. I don't buy the worry about consumer spending aspect. All the prep work for the consoles is done. They might lower manufacturing targets due to the recession, but there isn't really a benefit for them holding off the launch, unless things deteriorate so far that it would be a massive PR hit for them to launch them.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think consoles (VERY FEW) will be available on their target date. It'll be a very slim launch, like Xbox 360, but technically, they'll be out there.

JakeDF2

Feb 15, 2020
Those savings will have been spent by then

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I think they still come out November or December.
They are clear competitors and if one pushed to 2021, but the other doesn't, then the 2020 console has a clear advantage

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
Obviously. With the greater impact it is having on the economy, people won't see a need to buy the new PS5, Xbox, iPhone and all these non essential techs when their current tech gives them all the entertainment they need.

People priorities things differently when they have to be more concerned about their money and what important things they should be buying.

It would be best if the PS5 and Xbox X was delayed to 2021 and hopefully by then the economy will stabilize or recover by then. Average consumer won't rush to buy next gen when their COD, NBA 2K, Madden, Fifa and the free to play games work perfectly well in their current system of choice.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It will really depend on where the world economy is after this and how we all recover. I'm very grateful to be working in an industry that is not affected as much by this, but I know that is not the case for a large percentage of the world's population. It would almost seem a bit insensitive to launch expensive devices if the world were still in a bad place, but that's my heart talking out loud. It's a delicate balance.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I havent heard anything yet, but I would personally bet on it.... everyone is struggling right now just to make supporting assets for game communication, let alone what it's like to have to move thousands of coders and developers to a WFH infastructure, which currently doesnt exist in most places. Studios are at minimal capacity right now, so pipelines will take awhile to ramp up. you dont want to launch without games. Even talking about shipping physical shipment of some games entirely and going digital only, so i can't even imagine what it must be like trying to figure out the logistics of physical development and shipment of hardware right now. this virus is going to have impact on all walks of life for awhile.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think so as 1/ the virus is pretty much done in China or so it seems and 2/ developers are still working on their games.

Edit: if my second point is unlikely as seen in the post above me, then I can see a delay being a thing.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Console launches absolutely require high levels of stock to backup the marketing and launch hype. You can only launch once with that kind of mindshare, with severe supply issues they won't capitalize on the hype.

Correct, Console launches live with the hype. If they only sell half or even lower than that on launch, the voices will get louder that the system(s) are commercial failures. if they want to deflect that narrative with the Pandemic, many will ask why the fuck they even launched a product that is designed to be used for 10 years in the one year with the biggest pandemic the world has ever seen.

Only a launch after Summer 2021 makes sense. be the product that people remember buying AFTER the horrible Pandemic was over, a sign of rebirth, a new beginning and all that psychological stuff.

What happens when both get a slow start and previously next-gen-only third-party titles have to scramble up old-gen support because they can't survive with next-gen (+pc and switch) sales alone due to low numbers?

My prediction if they really release this year:
- few sales and comparisons to "the WiiU of xxx"
- a very good chance that the generation will be cut massively short
- 30% chance of a "refresh" after 3 years
- 70% chance of a completely new console generation after 3 to 4 years to get the momentum back
- possibly at the same time the Switch2 would release.