• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
Dude is a very bad lungs infection not the plague. You don't want to take it (if possible) but ain't gonna change the world.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Your wife is fortunate to work for factories with humane working conditions.

Companies like Foxconn have workers committing suicide on the job because the work is so unethical.

I definitely thought of Foxconn when I wrote that, and you're right, it's a terrible company/factory that gets away with it for some reason (Taiwanese factories are notoriously bad for this type of thing. I'm not sure why), but by and large, it's very difficult to force work on people like that these days in China. Employees will band together so fast, and straight up not show up to work. They may not have unions, but they are hardcore when it comes to what's expected of them. They'll do that, and not a minute more*.

*Unless you offer them more money, of course.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Yes it will and already has, at least for the next 6 months. Taipei game show has been delayed. Probably is affecting Sony's decision on when to hold the big pressor for PS5 release.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Panic is a terrible thing. From a health perspective it PROBABLY won't be too bad, unless things change a lot...but folks are scared already.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
If the switch production is already affected, next gen consoles production might be hit too.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Embarrassing replies. It has already affected the industry and it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Thinking more about this, I bet games like TLOU2 could face delays if people are not able to return to their jobs soon. A ton of work for the first TLOU was done by a couple of companies in Shanghai (XPEC, Original Force Ltd). If Sony went with that same companies again for the sequel, they are already a couple of days behind schedule.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WHO declares global emergency and people are claiming its just news channel fear mongering. I know it won't be the end of the world just because you/we are sitting on the other side of the planet but it does affects China's workline and thus things Chinese produce.

In the long run, we are not going to notice anything. Business as usual.

Sep 25, 2018
For example production of PC/console parts in China or Resident Evil 3 release.
Not sure if releasing game about deadly outbreak would be a good idea in current situation (at least in Asia).

It seems things are heading into pretty grim direction and Corona might affect a lot of segments, so I wonder how gaming will get its share.

nintendo just said it slow down some of their switch production

I'm not sure about the rest

Apple closed down 4000 stores so the virus is definitely harming different companies

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A regular flu is worse than that virus, so no.

Does a regular flu put tens of thousands of people under quarantine and not allow them to go to work? If people aren't at work doing their jobs how do you think graphics and game systems are getting made?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how long China is held back by the virus, it is possible there could be some short term set backs in terms of production.

My company's office in Suzhou is closed for two weeks and people are working from home. Granted you can't really do that in a factory setting.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, it outright kills them, which is far worse.

That thread is not about which is worse or what causes the most deaths. It's whether or not the corona virus will affect the gaming industry. The answer is yes, it already is. The amount of people under quarantine and unable to go to work is absolutely changing schedules as we speak.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Yes it will.

Several in house and outsourcing studios in China for different AAA companies have already been closed due to this. Thus some work is being put on hold.

This is purely for quaratain, once the virus is locked down everyone will open up shop again. This measures are only so the virus wont spread. I do not expect it to be very long. But it will have a financial impact on those companies.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, it outright kills them, which is far worse.
Just like Coronavirus, except this time it can spread from person to person without any symptoms.

The Flu does not disrupt society; it's something we can contain. Coronavirus cannot be properly contained thus far as there are unknown cases and missing people to account for.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This is purely for quaratain, once the virus is locked down everyone will open up shop again. This measures are only so the virus wont spread. I do not expect it to be very long. But it will have a financial impact on those companies.

A few weeks lost is still a lot in terms of manhours. :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That thread is not about which is worse or what causes the most deaths. It's whether or not the corona virus will affect the gaming industry. The answer is yes, it already is. The amount of people under quarantine and unable to go to work is absolutely changing schedules as we speak.

I think it is kinda sad to be discussing this, ignoring the actual human impact it has, and focusing on 'What does this mean for my vidyagames'.

But that person is right. The regular flu kills thousands every year and yet the world keeps turning without massive media outrage. I think it'll blow over relatively soon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just like Coronavirus, except this time it can spread from person to person without any symptoms.

The Flu does not disrupt society; it's something we can contain. Coronavirus cannot be properly contained thus far as there are unknown cases and missing people to account for.

The flu does not disrupt society. You serious with this shit?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, at least not anymore than any other seasonal illness. For some perspective, the seasonal flu infects tens of millions around the world and kills about 650,000 people every year, and videogames haven't been dramatically affected by the season flu ... ever.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The flu does not disrupt society. You serious with this shit?
It does not disrupt society in the sense that society has adapted to it.

Do you see anyone building emergency hospitals for the Flu? Do you see world-wide taskforces taking serious measures to combat it? Do you see all the emergency helplines full in China?

The answer is no.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I remember last year when several CITIES were put on lockdown, when the influenza hit. Oh, now - wait. It was only now when like 30 milion people are locked in several cities because of something that you claim to be 'not the big one'.

In the USA alone, seasonal influenza killed 30000 people last winter and twice that number the year before (governement estimate).

Corona virus fatality rate is lower than the SRAS one and its infection rate is much lower than, let's stay chickenpox (Check this article from the NYTimes).

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it is kinda sad to be discussing this, ignoring the actual human impact it has, and focusing on 'What does this mean for my vidyagames'.

But that person is right. The regular flu kills thousands every year and yet the world keeps turning without massive media outrage. I think it'll blow over relatively soon.

We can't discuss a global news story and how it affects video games on a video game forum? I don't think anyone here is saying video games are more important than human lives, it's just an interesting topic of discussion.

Also, the season flu doesn't cause mass quarentines, cancelled flights on this scale, banning of goods, etc like what is going on right now. The corona virus itself might be nothing compared to the seasonal flu but the global reaction to the virus will disrupt industries, like gaming, far more than the seasonal flu.

I get it, we all have heard soundbites how this is nothing compared to the seasonal flu. The measures being taken to stop the spread are far more disruptive, though.

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020

So many stupid points in a single post. Let's deconstruct them.

"except this time it can spread from person to person without any symptoms" <- wrong in most cases and same as any other type of flu.

"The Flu does not disrupt society; it's something we can contain" <- we don't contain it, we take it and then it passes and yes of course milion of people not going to work has a decent economic impact, we are just used to it.

" Coronavirus cannot be properly contained thus far as there are unknown cases and missing people to account for" in china maye, in the west unlikely and if the chinese government didn't try to hide from moment 1 they could have as well

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We can't discuss a global news story and how it affects video games on a video game forum? I don't think anyone here is saying video games are more important than human lives, it's just an interesting topic of discussion.

Also, the season flu doesn't cause mass quarentines, cancelled flights on this scale, banning of goods, etc like what is going on right now. The corona virus itself might be nothing compared to the seasonal flu but the global reaction to the virus will disrupt industries, like gaming, far more than the seasonal flu.

I get it, we all have heard soundbites how this is nothing compared to the seasonal flu. The measures being taken to stop the spread are far more disruptive, though.

Point taken, it's something to discuss although it does leave a bit of a weird taste in my mouth. And I haven't 'heard soundbites'. I personally treat children and adults on the ICU every day. I understand exactly what the seasonal flu does and what it doesn't firsthand.

You're absolutely correct about the 'global reaction' though. It has a bigger impact than it realistically should. And that could even impact videogames.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So many stupid points in a single post. Let's deconstruct them.

"except this time it can spread from person to person without any symptoms" <- wrong in most cases and same as any other type of flu.

"The Flu does not disrupt society; it's something we can contain" <- we don't contain it, we take it and then it passes and yes of course milion of people not going to work has a decent economic impact, we are just used to it.

" Coronavirus cannot be properly contained thus far as there are unknown cases and missing people to account for" in china maye, in the west unlikely and if the chinese government didn't try to hide from moment 1 they could have as well
  • Sure, ignore health officials and the cases where it actually has spread without symptoms.
  • Obviously you need to do some thinking on what the word contain means in this context.
  • So you agree with me, thanks.
I'm sure if the decision were left up to you, you'd leave all the borders open, cancel no flights, and let everyone happily hold hands together, because apparently you seem to miss every concern of the coronavirus.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It does not disrupt society in the sense that society has adapted to it.

Do you see anyone building emergency hospitals for the Flu? Do you see world-wide taskforces taking serious measures to combat it? Do you see all the emergency helplines full in China?

The answer is no.
You might want to read about the 1918 flu pandemic. This virus isn't the apocalypse, BUT is somewhat unknown and it's WHO's duty and raison d'etrê is to know if it might be a pandemic or not, and to keep it contained.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Might not get a new hardware anymore ever.
More seriously, it obviously has some effect.

It shouldn't go too far hopefully.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
What do the five games below have in common?
  • Resident Evil: Remake
  • Resident Evil 0
  • SOCOM
  • Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
  • The Thing
All five games have a plot centered around a virus or potential viral infection, all released during the height of the global SARS epidemic. I'm sure you could come up with similar lists during the time period of other outbreaks like Ebola, H1N1, etc.

The point being, while the Coronavirus will undoubtedly affect the manufacturing and development of consoles and video games. That by no means suggests that games that are completed are going to be delayed due to some sensitivity towards those affected by the virus.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
In the USA alone, seasonal influenza killed 30000 people last winter and twice that number the year before (governement estimate).

Corona virus fatality rate is lower than the SRAS one and its infection rate is much lower than, let's stay chickenpox (Check this article from the NYTimes).

You're downplaying what you don't understand.

30,000 deaths out of 35 million infections is a 0.1% mortality rate.

The Corona virus has a 2% mortality rate with a quarter of people infected requiring intensive care within 2 weeks of infection.

Oct 25, 2017
You're downplaying what you don't understand.

30,000 deaths out of 35 million infections is a 0.1% mortality rate.

The Corona virus has a 2% mortality rate with a quarter of people infected requiring intensive care within 2 weeks of infection.

The actual rate for Coronoavirus is going to be a lot lower than that. It is out diagnosed infections, which is inherently most of the people that have to seek medical attention.

Flu numbers are extrapolated in a more statistical sense, because most flu patients don't get medical attention and most don't get tested for specific flu strains.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
It has killed less than 400 people so far. It's negligible compared to the death toll of the seasonal influenza. This is not the big one.
That's not how it works. This strain of corona has a significantly higher mortality rate than standard influenza. Not even mentioning the fact it's a new virus in humans so you've still got the potential that it might evolve into a more dangerous entity.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

While not related to gaming, I bought a Ponyo dress for my daughter and this morning I received the following notice:
Dear buyer,

Our goods factory is located in China. Due to the impact of the epidemic(2019-nCoV) in Wuhan, China, there are no cargo flights to the United States in China at present, so we are unable to deliver this order for you.

We have arranged a full refund for your order. The refund will usually be returned to your payment method within 2 working days. Due to system reasons, you may receive an email that this order has been delivered. Please ignore this email.

We are sorry for the trouble caused to you by logistics.

So, yes. It absolutely will affect gaming as well.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The actual rate for Coronoavirus is going to be a lot lower than that. It is out diagnosed infections, which is inherently most of the people that have to seek medical attention.

Flu numbers are extrapolated in a more statistical sense, because most flu patients don't get medical attention and most don't get tested for specific flu strains.

It won't be a lot lower, just slightly lower. It certainly will be higher than the flu.

Speaking of which though I need to correct myself. The flu doesn't have a 0.1% mortality rate. It has a 0.01% mortality rate.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing what the media does, isn't it.

What's basically a non-event is blown up to such mega proportions it *actually* starts to affect markets.

edit: also, corona is just a type of virus (which includes the common cold) and the proper designation here is the Wuhan coronavirus.

Basically a non-event? What the fuck

I don't know man , does the annual influenza strain delay the latest videogames ?

Some of you are way too edgy.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It could impact production of next gen consoles if there are massive prolonged mandatory factory closures.

Status
Not open for further replies.