• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
For example production of PC/console parts in China or Resident Evil 3 release.
Not sure if releasing game about deadly outbreak would be a good idea in current situation (at least in Asia).

It seems things are heading into pretty grim direction and Corona might affect a lot of segments, so I wonder how gaming will get its share.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
For example production of PC/console parts in China or Resident Evil 3 release.
Not sure if releasing game about deadly outbreak would be a good idea in current situation (at least in Asia).

It seems things are heading into pretty grim direction and Corona might affect a lot of segments, so I wonder how gaming will get its share.
Well about that...

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It has killed less than 400 people so far. It's negligible compared to the death toll of the seasonal influenza. This is not the big one.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"I don't know man , does the annual influenza strain delay the latest videogames ?"

Was what I originally wrote because it's felt like the last 20 years there's always some new panic scare virus or disease every year or 2 to drum up a media frenzy. At first glance this looked no worse than the SARS scare (which was bad but managed). When it was just China it really didn't seem like it would be a huge deal to the rest of the world.

Obviously 5 weeks can apparently change a LOT of things , now it's looking like this isn't just effecting videogames , it's spilled over into everything. Shut down the world economy, thousands of people are dead, 10's of thousands sick. It's going to get MUCH worse before it gets better (in terms of spread) and I feel justifiable in now saying that perhaps it's effect on gaming is probably near the bottom of the list of things people should worry about right now.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yes it will.

Several in house and outsourcing studios in China for different AAA companies have already been closed due to this. Thus some work is being put on hold.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing what the media does, isn't it.

What's basically a non-event is blown up to such mega proportions it *actually* starts to affect markets.

edit: also, corona is just a type of virus (which includes the common cold) and the proper designation here is the Wuhan coronavirus.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This fear mongering is getting fucking out of hand, come on people.
There will likely be delays for the production of consoles that are being made in China but it's going to be okay, you're still going to get your video games, don't worry.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No.

The zika virus outbreak didn't stop the release of Dead Rising ports that year, either.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PC components are fucked right now. Expect nand prices to go up by upto 40 percent. It will 100 percent affect pc. Cant comment on console

Oct 26, 2017
Outsourcing is a thing and there are dozens of chinese studios working on pretty much all AAA games there, assisting all major studios.
If the virus will continue to propagate and the Chinese government will keep closing more cities game development and production will be affected sure.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Well the other stock traders definitely seem so, RIP my Nvidia and AMD profits. If Shenzhen gets quarantined it may influence the availability of consoles?
If this is the start of the recession, then in a roundabout way it would impact the sales of consoles.

edit: I guess this is not a hypothetical, see Piccoro 's post.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine there would be some delays if they temporarily close down some facilities in China.

Oct 26, 2017
No. In a few month people will have forgotten about corona virus and that's it.
No.

The zika virus outbreak didn't stop the release of Dead Rising ports that year, either.

You guys have no clue about how game development works and how much Chinese people worked on your favorite games lol

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes because you can't play when you are dead.

(Am I doing this right?)

Seriously just chill, you have enough to play anyway.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Depends how long China shuts things down. Chinese New Year has been extended for close to two weeks due to the virus (which has never happened in China before), and seeing how much grunt work for games is done in China, it could definitely delay a bunch of titles if things get worse.

While this may end up being nothing, the Chinese government is treating it like a pandemic. It's already affect me and my wife's work. I'm not sure when my next project will start in China thanks to this stupid virus.

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It may cause some delays I guess in some factories located in China. Maybe. But it's not like there will be no PS5's at launch or anything huge like that. Worst case scenario there will be less new consoles available Day 1.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I get that you guys hate the drink, but it can't be that bad.
ci-corona-extra-2b48031ca2c738b1.jpeg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You guys have no clue about how game development works and how much Chinese people worked on your favorite games lol
I was under the impression that OP was asking if games were gonna get stopped due to the sensitivity of the subject based on their example. Delayed, sure, but I don't think RE3's gonna get stopped based on fear of public backlash alone

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do any of the people who have posted "NO" understand that none of the Chinese factories are re opening as scheduled after Chinese new Year. Multiple factories are closed indefinitely.

Every single component in a PC will not be getting manufactured for weeks after scheduled production was set to ramp up again.

Come on guys, think!?! :)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of the people who have posted "NO" understand that none of the Chinese factories are re opening as scheduled after Chinese new Year. Multiple factories are closed indefinitely.

Every single component in a PC will not be getting manufactured for weeks after scheduled production was set to ramp up again.

Come on guys, think!?! :)

This just means that workers will have to crunch for 14 hours instead of 12 hours to meet deadlines. Chinese factories aren't exactly ethical.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Supply chains in China have already been disrupted because of the virus. If it gets drastically worse, it would be hard imagining how it wouldn't affect gaming somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

That's fair. It depends how long this goes on. At this point, we're a bit over a month in and there's a lot of work being done to curb things, so it's early to tell just how much longer this lasts. Obviously if this lasts for months and months, yes, there will be an impact on how people work and what gets produced.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This just means that workers will have to crunch for 14 hours instead of 12 hours to meet deadlines. Chinese factories aren't exactly ethical.

That absolutely would not happen. My wife has worked with/ helped run factories all over China for years, and if you tried to pull that, you'd have a riot on your hands.

Mar 18, 2018
It has killed less than 400 people so far. It's negligible compared to the death toll of the seasonal influenza. This is not the big one.
Yeah, I remember last year when several CITIES were put on lockdown, when the influenza hit. Oh, now - wait. It was only now when like 30 milion people are locked in several cities because of something that you claim to be 'not the big one'.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
That absolutely would not happen. My wife has worked with/ helped run factories all over China for years, and if you tried to pull that, you'd have a riot on your hands.

Your wife is fortunate to work for factories with humane working conditions.

Companies like Foxconn have workers committing suicide on the job because the work is so unethical.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It will probably delay some production for those game studios in China, but there will be no major effects whatsoever. Also games dealing with outbreaks will still release no matter what.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Supply chains in China have already been disrupted because of the virus. If it gets drastically worse, it would be hard imagining how it wouldn't affect gaming somehow.
I work with Chinese manufacturers. Wuhan is shutdown, but our production is somewhere else, and they had a precautionary week-long shut down, basically an extension of the Lunar New Year which already shuts down our production for 2 weeks every year. Until I hear otherwise, I think this is about the extent of the supply chain disruption, and this feels more akin to SARS or Avian Flu, in that it's definitely something to keep an eye on, but hasn't reached truly disruptive levels yet.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God era is embarrassing sometimes. All the "lol no chill" responses while you have an actual verified developer saying it already has.

you should all actually think for a second before jumping in the "lol u dumb op" bandwagon. Of course the gaming industry will be impacted. When entire cities are basically being shut down that's a lot of work being put on hold. OP said it in the first line of his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.