• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Should have been named Vyse or some shit

Votes: 202 25.9%
  • Clive is our man, no one does it like he can!

Votes: 577 74.1%

• Total voters

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
it's fine

the only thing that raises an eyebrow is how close clive rosfield is to chris redfield

they are both associated with a jill too!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
With that logic, characters like Jessie should be renamed to something else.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
From the trailers I barely even realized he was supposed to be the main character he was that unremarkable lmao

It's not a great name and design

Oct 28, 2017
honestly, this FF is all kinds of "normal" compared to the usual stuff. from what ive seen there isnt super bombastic wardrobe so im ok with this in fact i hope they do it often.

i just wonder what kind of fucked up last name he got tho perhaps that's the real kick in the nuts

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Should've named him Bob.

Jk, Clive is fine. Better than, uh...Reks.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
honestly, this FF is all kinds of "normal" compared to the usual stuff. from what ive seen there isnt super bombastic wardrobe so im ok with this in fact i hope they do it often.

i just wonder what kind of fucked up last name he got tho perhaps that's the real kick in the nuts
Clive Rosfield. Sounds cool. Very reminiscent of something you'll find in an Ivalice game

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It's not even that it's too normal; it's actually comedy spoof-level to me.

The Warrior of Light, hero of the crystals or whatever and his name is... Clive. That's some Monty Python shit ha ha.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
"I've never met a Clive in real life."

*points to at least several famous Clives*

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
eh the name is fine and design is better than noctis/new cloud who are just looking constipated and grunting 24/7

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
In the past I would just rename characters based on folk I know anyway so, yeah

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
We've come a long way from JRPG protagonists being literally called stuff like Tiger Festival. You guys should be glad we're having this moment.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
"I've never met a Clive in real life."

*points to at least several famous Clives*

clive-owen-surprised.gif

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
As a 30 something British person it does feel off to me. Its just in the wrong spot where it's the sort of uncool name your dad's friend might might have had.

I guess people from different places with different ages will have different connotations, so I don't know how wide that feeling would be.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
I don't care that much about how FF characters are named, TBH. Sometimes, it has its motives (and motifs) behind, but in this case, naming him Clive makes him more relatable in a modern high fantasy sense. In fact, I prefer so more than edgy or corny names like Squall. FF10 still has a pass because of some references to Okinawan and South Asian folklore.

At least FF charas don't have Gundam-tier names. Now that's a whole world of fiction anthroponyms.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I greatly dislike his design, so his name is not even that important.

I mean one of the most popular "recurring" characters in the franchise is just named Cid

The weird ass names kinda started in the PS1 era
What are you trying to say with this in comparison with Clive?
Cid means Lord in spanish/arabic, coming from the popular El Cid Campeador (Lord Conqueror). Its a great medieval name for a series like Final Fantasy, so I dont really understand putting it as an example against Clive.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
What are you trying to say with this in comparison with Clive?
Cid means Lord in spanish/arabic, coming from the popular El Cid Campeador (Lord Conqueror). Its a great medieval name for a series like Final Fantasy, so I dont really understand putting it as an example against Clive.

they're just both very "normal" sounding names compared to things like Cloud, Squall and Lightning

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I don't like Clive as the name of a high fantasy game protagonist. It's too 'normie'. And I've just read on Wikipedia that his two compatriots are Joshua and Jill.

Stuff like Edge Maverick is too fucking far gone and silly, but Clive feels like they weren't even trying. There's a balance there somewhere, where fantasy names sound familiar yet different enough to seem otherworldly. Thank goodness The Witcher doesn't star Gerald of Rivia and his ward Cassie.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they had a FF game recently where the main character was called Jack.

Considering that, Clive is pretty good in my books.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
they're just both very "normal" sounding names compared to things like Cloud, Squall and Lightning
Cid is not normal though? Like even being spanish nobody in spain has that as a name anymore. Cid seems as fantasy sounding as squall, yitan, terra, etc...
Like if a Fire Emblem character was name Cid, the intention will be clear to see and it would feel awesome if it had a medieval spanish look going on with that name attatched.

Oct 27, 2017
meh as the rest of the game this will legit be my first ff skip mainline title anyway other than mmos.. lol but nah the battle system isnt a JRPG and this looks like a GOW/DS/DMC shit feast with one of the worst uis ive ever seen lol with that an the story director and the director himself and the lead combat director.. im good.. I want Final Fantasy not a bland looking DMC/GOW/DS hybrid using the FF name .. this will be the worst saling ff game ever also becasue ive yet to this fucking day to even see a ps5 in a store or on a self...

lol