• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well?

• A. 270 Park Ave (New JPMorgan Chase HQ)

Votes: 309 66.2%
  • B. Brooklyn Tower

Votes: 197 42.2%
  • C. The Spiral

Votes: 234 50.1%
  • D. 262 Fifth Ave

Votes: 109 23.3%
  • E. 175 Park Avenue (Grand Hyatt)

Votes: 241 51.6%
  • None šŸ˜”

Votes: 37 7.9%

• Total voters

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of people (understandably) complain about boring looking skyscrapers or supertalls, so out of curiosity, I want to see which, if any, of these currently under construction tallish NYC buildings people might like. Do you enjoy any of these šŸ¤”

Renders

X7WBc1R.jpg

pm1xAgf.jpg

gCE5eaX.jpg

vQQjwkn.jpg

1 render + under construction

2FB2YSr.jpg

8DL0eWI.jpg

NjtaWlM.jpg

2 renders, 2 under construction

hpltJhQ.jpg

CDERCId.jpg

jpzPS0A.jpg

JJutTpw.jpg

Renders

Y40J9Vk.jpg

Aoy6pov.jpg

IHnc3hQ.jpg

B4JeIeJ.jpg

Renders

ePsW7TK.jpg

MZgbJHe.jpg

9IZmMA2.jpg

TfD6LK2.jpg

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Welcome to the B1M.

I think they look fine. I will never live in one of them because I'm not rich, but I think they look fine!

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Option A is clearly the best looking building IMO. However I do like Options A,C,E overall. As for the other options, I dunno man, there's something about super tall slim buildings that feel weird to me lol

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Park Ave buildings are neat. More Walker Tower and less Billionaire row.

Spiral seems like a decent take on an otherwise nondescript building.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the gold accenting on A

B is boring. nothing much going for it

C is even more boring and lacking character. the silhouette is just generic. the premise is wasted on a very poor execution

D is nice and minimal. what it has in a generic silhouette is made up for in the idea of impossibility. excellent engineering

E tickles my nostalgia bone. like a call back to the 50s with retro futurism of art deco with touches of modernity

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think they all look pretty cool in the right lighting/vantage point

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
NYC really took over the claim of best skyscrapers from Chicago and hasn't looked back. These are gorgeous

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
270 Park Ave looks great

The Spiral doesn't look as good but those gardens are quite cool and would be great for people in the building.

262 Fifth Ave clearly looks the worst.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Not a big fan of D, but the others all look really cool to me. I like skyscrapers. I mean I prefer monuments, but skyscrapers are kind of monument-lite for disaster capitalism.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its whatever, i dont even notice any more

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
D is by far the ugliest. Like c and e.

There are parts of a I don't like.

B is meh.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like these new super thin skyscrapers. The rest look fine, with A being my favorite.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
These are all fine! I'm not mad about any of them, really.

D is the worst, though. I'm really over the skinny building thing (i.e. I fucking loathe 432 Park Avenue) but I find the "let's integrate some basic geometric shapes" thing kind of charming? It's like they built the world's tallest elementary school.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're all fine, but how about scrapping SFH enforced zoning so you don't need to force anything beyond a house into 20% of the city because it's banned in the other 80%+

Oct 27, 2017
ACE. B still looks like it's under construction (in the render obviously) but otherwise is pretty harmless. D is outright horrible.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
A, C, and E for me. The other two are boring, I'm just not a big fan of the super tall and skinny look.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Hate the pencil style buildings - so D is awful and I don't care for B which is too close to D in shape. Aren't all the super skinny ones just absurdly priced condos for the ultra wealthy?

I like the others though.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I pick A,C,E. The other 2 skinny towers look bad. Looks like most agree based on the poll results

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The facade on B is ok, not a fan of pencil towers though. The rest are hideous.
Source: architect who works on these type of buildings, including one in Manhattan. So I'm super biased.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
D is gonna age terribly.

A and E are probably the best ones, because they borrow from tested and true designs more. B and C are... okay-ish, I guess?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
270 Park Avenue is fine, I've always loved bringing structural elements to the surface but I'm not sold on the color in the renders. A darker color closer to Seagram's original look would make it much more palatable to me. I'm not totally sold on the base but it's decent.

Absolutely love Brooklyn Tower, by far the best of the bunch. Nothing better than an Art Deco inspired skyscraper. Is it too tall for its neighborhood? Yes it definitely is, but at least it looks good doing it.

The Spiral is nasty. Those roof decks are not going to be pleasant or useful and the spiral itself is not related to the rest of the building's form at all. Just a gross dated design.

262 Fifth Avenue is the only Billionaire's Row building that is acceptable for my tastes. The circles along the side feel like a brutalist nod for the most anti-brutalist building ever which is the kind of humor I like in my architecture

Not a fan the Grand Hyatt. I generally like the base (ignoring the poor integration of the walkway to Grand Central) with the clustered columns but the way they are resolved at the top feels uninspired and ostentatious, almost too obvious. It stands out too much for a relatively modest (not in size but ornamentation) skyline like New York.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The Spiral is nasty. Those roof decks are not going to be pleasant or useful and the spiral itself is not related to the rest of the building's form at all. Just a gross dated design.
It's pretty bland by Bjarke Ingels standards. I'm not really a fan either.