• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Think All This Negative Attention On Playstation Will Affect the General Public's View?

• Yes, their competition is changing the public's view

Votes: 457 13.7%
  • No, their competition changes are nice but not changing anything

Votes: 2,238 67.0%
  • Maybe, too soon to tell

Votes: 643 19.3%

• Total voters

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
As much as Sony's incompetence and confounding decisions should affect them, it doesn't seem it is outside the hardcore community. Microsoft could easily push Sony's terrible policies into the public's conscious, not unlike what Sony did to Microsoft at the launch of XB1. Instead Phil Spencer has just been faithfully plugging away at what his team can control, evolving the entire game industry for the better.

I think Sony would need another '$599 US dollars, get two jobs, riiiiiidge racer, enemy crabs' fiasco to really damage themselves in the eyes of the wider consumer base . While thay seems pretty distant, but it probably is not as far out of reach as any of us would assume under Jim Ryan.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean lets agree the potential is there to happen and let's agree too that with the studios both own. Ms will likely have alot more variety too.

The cheaper hardware is a trojan horse as a second gamepass console that might change user spending on the other console. Anyway I don't have a xbox but they undenieable have alot of positive things going for them.

There is, but that has always been the case with MS since the Xbox One release. I would love them to be more like the OG Xbox days, now that was an awesome console with great exclusive titles.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Of course not. Resetera is a bubble, I have plenty of friends with PS4s and PS5s who have no idea of any negative attention.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is, but that has always been the case with MS since the Xbox One release. I would love them to be more like the OG Xbox days, now that was an awesome console with great exclusive titles.

There is a huge difference in resources and focus between gen 8 and gen 9. It's not the same.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. It seems like a lot of negativity here but it's not as big of a deal as Xbox's blunders at the start of last gen or the PS3 $599 price reveal. Things aren't going to be as easy as last gen though so while I don't believe Sony's general public perception will change, the competition will be much stiffer. It's going to be interesting to see how this gen plays out

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
None of my Playstation owning friends have a clue about any of this stuff and wouldn't care if I sat them down and explained it to them. I hope Sony take a lesson from MS here I really do but at the end of the day though the kind of people who frequent places like this don't determine if a platform or game succeeds or not.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OP is hanging out on too many game enthusiast sites. All the "negative attention" casual gamers have no clue of and they don't care about.

Recently a casually gaming friend asked me about Cyberpunk:
"Is the Cyperpunk game out already? I wanted to get that. I heard so much positive buzz about it."

surprised-icegif-1.gif

Last edited:

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
The public are still buying PS5's.

I can't see that changing.

Do some people think what's happening with the older consoles is going to make PS5 consoles stay on shelves when they get back into stock?

I've seen people post on here that they're not happy so they'll just be using their PS5 as an exclusive machine.

Even they are still buying-a PS5 lol.

Nothing changes until it starts affecting their bottom line....

It's kinda like people criticising Game Stop and hoping they go under or change their ways, yet still buying from them lol.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think what Sony is doing is making as lean a company as possible so it's only working on tentpoles which seems more like Nintentdo. Which is great for running a company, not great for running a brand know for its eclectic IP. Seems like Xbox is actually doing what Sony was doing years ago where you just have games for everyone at varying budgets.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I think Game Pass, FPS boost and BC is making Sony look a bit out of touch with the core audience - especially because there is a lull in new AAA releases rn and Sony have nothing to talk about, while xbox is dominating the news cycle with consumer and player friendly announcements.

Sony have released Miles, Spidey RM, Demon Souls, Sackboy, Destruction All Stars, Astro. Ratchet is around the corner, and they've also shown us what else is on the horizon. Add in their VR plans, BC with PS4, PS Plus collection, decent games on ps plus, and Play at Home free games, and you really think they're out of touch and have nothing to talk about?

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Sony have released Miles, Spidey RM, Demon Souls, Sackboy, Destruction All Stars, Astro. Ratchet is around the corner, and they've also shown us what else is on the horizon. Add in their VR plans, BC with PS4, PS Plus collection, decent games on ps plus, and Play at Home free games, and you really think they're out of touch and have nothing to talk about?

Not only that but it's like when people talk about game pass and say Sony can't do anything.

They have PS collection, all they need to do is suddenly release ALL their exclusives day and date on that service and bam they've got a game pass competitor.

Microsoft are doing good moves but they need to show the goods. It's all well and good having these studios but they better hope those games are good.

As things stand what exclusives are on Series X or due soon? PS5 has some damn good exclusive games coming imminently even the timed exclusives like Death Loop look pretty great.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
One thing I'm wondering. Given how big the studios are that Sony owns, they could probably release smaller games from each studio and fill the void left behind by Japan Studio. Nothing points to that yet but it would be neat of they tried that approach, similar to what Ubi was doing a while back with Rayman and Child of Light.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I have all the major controllers in the market (except Stadia but that's next on my list)

thumbnail-image0.jpg

but I still think many people also like not having to spend an additional $70 for a new controller just for multiplayer when they have a perfectly working older controllers around.

Multiplayer by and large is no longer done on a couch, it's online. This isn't a real problem for 99% of the world

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.

The XBO was the cheaper console after price cuts. The XBO DE was the cheapest console.

Now the Series S is gonna be the one that changes things....

MS has to start actually building momentum for any of their changes to start having an affect. And it looks like that wont happen until Halo Infinite or their exclusives start dropping.

Gamepass started on the XBO...and what did that change?
The One X was the most powerful console when it launched....and what did that change?

As much as Sony's incompetence and confounding decisions should affect them, it doesn't seem it is outside the hardcore community. Microsoft could easily push Sony's terrible policies into the public's conscious, not unlike what Sony did to Microsoft at the launch of XB1. Instead Phil Spencer has just been faithfully plugging away at what his team can control, evolving the entire game industry for the better.

I think Sony would need another '$599 US dollars, get two jobs, riiiiiidge racer, enemy crabs' fiasco to really damage themselves in the eyes of the wider consumer base . While thay seems pretty distant, but it probably is not as far out of reach as any of us would assume under Jim Ryan.

Oh no, MS tried to do this with the whole Smart Delivery thing.

And it fell flat. (it was funny but still) MS has been looking for their 'how to share used games' moment and they can never stick the landing.

I have a theory why, and that's because more ppl care about new/next gen experiences vs anything related to Smart Delivery.

There is a thread where ppl are happy MS didnt try to make a next gen UI, happy with familiarity. There's nothing wrong with that. But what Sony has done with theirs isnt a foreign language. They just wanted something new, fresh. Its still the PS4 UI, with some new features and better store integration.

Last edited:

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New releases are importent tho. What I do think it's funny is that owning seems like a preferred way to do things but at the same time it doesn't matter that the old stores getting disabled ( I know you can still download it yet) but I still think that I prefer subs over 80 bucks releases at that point. Sony showed this week that you cant trust them with anything digital.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
New releases are importent tho. What I do think it's funny is that owning seems like a preferred way to do things but at the same time it doesn't matter that the old stores getting disabled ( I know you can still download it yet) but I still think that I prefer subs over 80 bucks releases at that point. Sony showed this week that you cant trust them with anything digital.

You don't have to buy the games at full price though, you can wait if you want to own them at a lesser price. Wait until subs increase, they can't keep doing what they're doing as I can't see MS making any profit from that.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days); platform wars, prior ban for platform wars
As long as people continue to bury their head in the sand and pretend that playstation is the savior of gaming that gave them fresh water while they were dying from thirst then unfortunately I don't see any change.

Sony fanboyism is super strong here and out there.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This exactly Sony right now and why they aren't exciting me. I want "for the players" not bean counting.

This is anecdotal but PS5 has been more 'for the players' than PS4 was.

Full BC with the previous console
Much better launch games
New good looking exclusives in the first year
PS+ Collection
PS+ monthly games being FAR superior to the mostly indies we got on PS4 PS+ offerings for the longest time
Free play at home initiative games

Only minus is games now costing more.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is rightfully getting negative PR for some of their choices. But it's really not going to change too much with the average consumer. Once Sony starts dropping some big games and or announcements, the average gamer will forget about the PR and buy the games.

Sony's stance on old games disappoints me, but I'll still buy their games. I'll just think twice on third party games on Playstation.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
As long as people continue to bury their head in the sand and pretend that playstation is the savior of gaming that gave them fresh water while they were dying from thirst then unfortunately I don't see any change.

You could say the same about Xbox. Some of these GP changed my life threads feel like paid promotion tbh.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Nope and they won't change. The thing like the PlayStation store shut down was stated in the TOS, people knew it was going to happen they didn't care. Why would they change something that is only going to bite them for when it happens for a short time. People are still going to buy games and buy game from them digitally. Nothing is going to stop that.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe slightly over time? Big maybe.

in all likelyhood, I doubt it makes much a difference at all but just that we will have a very healthy video game industry all around.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You don't own what you haven't bought so how is closing the store affecting anyone's ownership? If you are doing a sub you don't own anything and games leave the service so what are you really saying with your declaration?

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Maybe slightly, it definitely won't do it any good! If anything I hope it spurs Sony on to actually do something about it.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
It will take a lot to take the shine off PlayStation. It is a juggernaut with stunning first-party titles, but it shouldn't rest on its laurels. A reinvigorated Microsoft might not be a threat now, but things can change. The astounding value of Game Pass is really very hard to ignore.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Tough call. Anecdotal but my casual buddies are all talking about jumping ship back to MS this gen due to a combination of decisions Sony have been making that just don't jive with us. They would get access to all their sports fix, netflix for games more or less and all our old shit will work going forward. I definitely think xbox is going to have a far stronger presence this gen thats for sure.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

lol have you seen the Xbox Game Pass threads we get seemingly everyday?

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You don't own what you haven't bought so how is closing the store affecting anyone's ownership? If you are doing a sub you don't own anything and games leave the service so what are you really saying with your declaration?

I meant the store closure in combination with no bc pre ps4 makes the owning aspect of games less meaningful.

With gamepass being successful, you will still playing xbox, 360, one and series games on gen 5 xbox consoles. You wont have that on PS6. I wouldn't be so sure if they even support ps4 bc on gen 6 ps consoles.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What does XGP threads have to do with fanboyism? It's one of the best things to happen in gaming in a very long time, of course you're going to see tons of chatter about it.
It obviously runs counter to the idea that Sony fanboyism is especially strong here. There's plenty of fanboyism to go around and it's all super annoying.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Have you see the games lineup they've had for their consoles over the last 18 months? I know people keep saying it, but this place really is a bubble.

Exactly. We can see who are really the ones out of touch when they keep posting shit like this, as if there's some chasm between both companies in terms of what they're delivering, and Sony is apparently super complacent when they have the most innovative hardware and some of the best games out right now and coming soon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is that what the General Public are doing?

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
It obviously runs counter to the idea that Sony fanboyism is especially strong here. There's plenty of fanboyism to go around and it's all super annoying.

While you are correct, let's not pretend that the fanboyism scale isn't heavily lopsided here. This isn't even an opinion, it is well known and constantly stated.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I meant the store closure in combination with no bc pre ps4 makes the owning aspect of games less meaningful.

With gamepass being successful, you will still playing xbox, 360, one and series games on gen 5 xbox consoles. You wont have that on PS6. I wouldn't be so sure if they even support ps4 bc on gen 6 ps consoles.

The only games guaranteed to be on Gamepass are MS games. Also you are just making a claim about the future with no evidence. I can say with PS2, PS3 and PS4 games being available on PSNOW I have no worries I can play a multigenerational games on PS6.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only games guaranteed to be on Gamepass are MS games. Also you are just making a claim about the future with no evidence. I can say with PS2, PS3 and PS4 games being available on PSNOW I have no worries I can play a multigenerational games on PS6.

So you do think they will still have cell based serverfarms in 2030? I don't think so. But it's possible. Current leadership made it clear they don't give a fuck about old games.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I check this site maybe once every few days and I don't even know what you're talking about with "negative attention on playstation". So... no, probably not

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This exactly Sony right now and why they aren't exciting me. I want "for the players" not bean counting.

Considering the huge numbers nearly every major release gets, the awards won and so on I have to think they're doing well by the general players. People wanting big budget JRPGs and other very specific genres and game types, maybe not but as a crowd goes they're pretty niche compared to the other mainstream groups.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

The PS2 games on PS4 were ported there, while others were left behind for some reason. This would be the perfect time to move them (and others) over. Sony won't though.

The PS6 will only play PS2 games if it plays PS4 games, which is what a game like Hot Shots Tennis (PS2) is.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I check this site maybe once every few days and I don't even know what you're talking about with "negative attention on playstation". So... no, probably not

Sony closed their Japanese studios recently and just announced they would close down PS3, PSP, and PS Vita Stores in July. People are scrambling to get games for those systems.

Oct 29, 2017
Average Joe just doesn't care about these things like people on enthusiast forums do. Playstation for many people is just the console you buy for CoD and Fifa.
Exactly this. Heavy PS1 and PS2 legacy hitters like FF 7 and 10 are already on current gen. The average player doesn't know nor care about Jersey Devil, Vib Ribbon and Ridge Racer.