• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Think All This Negative Attention On Playstation Will Affect the General Public's View?

• Yes, their competition is changing the public's view

Votes: 457 13.7%
  • No, their competition changes are nice but not changing anything

Votes: 2,238 67.0%
  • Maybe, too soon to tell

Votes: 643 19.3%

• Total voters

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I think Sony, like Nintendo will continue to sell as long as they keep putting out 1st party games. Their 1st party IP are almost synonymous with video games in general at this point. Especially things like Spider-man, Marvels most valuable character.

Sony is smart to start expanding its influence of their IP to movies and tv. Thats what the common casual audience cares about.
I wish. Sadly the general public loves their Hollywood style triple ayyyyyy gaming so they'll barely notice the changes as long as Sony keeps releasing those.

Imagine being mad that people enjoy games and don't care about the business strategies of gaming machines

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Ps5 is still the talk of the town and everyone wants one. No one is even mentioning xbox where i live and they will never do.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe it will because any negative attention is limited to issues that don't really register on the general public's radar.

Lewpop

Dec 10, 2020
Nope. They're realistically only a Spider-Man 2 trailer away from dominating the conversation among the general gaming populace. What could sway the public would be MS continuing to make good moves as they have, but Sony isn't doing anything catastrophically bad enough to lose the mindshare.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why do core gamers always feel the need to feel like they are influencers or something? Your opinion is yours and is worth the same as that of any "casual": Little.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not do this? The fuck is it with people discounting this forums point of view. So what if it's enthusist specific - doesn't make it any more or less valid. Let's not discount people or their opinions with these blanket comments. They aren't talking for the community, just their own perspective and from their own understanding.

Sorry, but this is super annoying. Damn.

Weird to blame me about making a blanket comment when the entire OP is the blanket comment I was complaining about. I find the complete lack of perspective to be super annoying and thats without taking the validity of their point away, I didnt even discuss that.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I certainly hope so. Catch up Sony is best Sony. None of this arrogant stances like we had during the early PS3 gen and currently having with Jim Ryan on the throne.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Weird to blame me about making a blanket comment when the entire OP is the blanket comment I was complaining about. I find the complete lack of perspective to be super annoying and thats without taking the validity of their point away, I didnt even discuss that.

Perhaps, but instill contend the reductionist view that enthusist view points, or this forums, are not fully valid or need to be taken with a grain of salt as an unproductive comment. In the end, you can say that about any question posed here, but that just is mechanism not to talk deeply about our opinions.

In this topic, the negative attention isn't "does Era's negative attention" impact the general perception but all of it in totality - and it's now in the Twitter sphere and gaming press. So yeah, it will impact it over time if it goes on. But I don't think it's helpful to drop the "Era bubble, lol" comments or do some humility check as we discuss this.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Can we not do this? The fuck is it with people discounting this forums point of view. So what if it's enthusist specific - doesn't make it any more or less valid. Let's not discount people or their opinions with these blanket comments. They aren't talking for the community, just their own perspective and from their own understanding.

Sorry, but this is super annoying. Damn.

The intention is not to discount the forum's point of view, rather to provide perspective on it. Perspective is important because we all have our tunnel-vision moments. For example, I think it's accurate to say that legacy content is generally important to enthusiasts because many of them go back and play old games, buy and play on old consoles, care about preservation. I think it's also accurate to say that mainstream audiences generally do not care about these things and mostly care about the cheapest way to play the latest games. So when the question is "do you think this will have an effect on the general public?" I don't think it is dismissive to say that this forum's point of view does not align with the mainstream.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Perhaps, but instill contend the reductionist view that enthusist view points, or this forums, are not fully valid or need to be taken with a grain of salt as an unproductive comment. In the end, you can say that about any question posed here, but that just is mechanism not to talk deeply about our opinions.

In this topic, the negative attention isn't "does Era's negative attention" impact the general perception but all of it in totality - and it's now in the Twitter sphere and gaming press. So yeah, it will impact it over time if it goes on. But I don't think it's helpful to drop the "Era bubble, lol" comments or do some humility check as we discuss this.

Meanwhile the PS5 is still sold out all over the world and has as much demand at launch as any console that has ever released. I think there are some very intelligent posters on this forum who have their finger on the pulse of the gaming industry. It's just hard to take this thread seriously considering how this gen is currently playing out.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If ppl cared about the vita they would bought it years ago. Just get some ps1,2,3 games on the store.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It's unfortunate that Sony aren't getting more flack for the shit they've been pulling recently.

Pulling so many games from a store, while giving us no other/worse option/s to play them. It fucking sucks. I say this as a Sony fan, I really wish more people would react.

Let's hope MS keep the pressure up, it might just lead to something.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see anything negative that will hit the mainstream.

The PS5 will be a huge success. Worldwide it'll probably outsell the Xbox by 50 million consoles.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile the PS5 is still sold out all over the world and has as much demand at launch as any console that has ever released. I think there are some very intelligent posters on this forum who have their finger on the pulse of the gaming industry. It's just hard to take this thread seriously considering how this gen is currently playing out.

The same was true for xbox one early last gen. You cant determine success With launch hype. It's nothing more at the moment.

Imo it will be gen 7 reversed. First half will be dominated by Sony and ms will catch up and eventuelly catch up in the end(when all the games of their new studios hit)

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The same was true for xbox one early last gen. You cant determine success With launch hype. It's nothing more at the moment.

Imo it will be gen 7 reversed. First half will be dominated by Sony and ms will catch up and eventuelly catch up in the end(when all the games of their new studios hit)

That just isn't true. The PS5 is selling as good as any console ever has and demand doesn't look even close to being met. How is that the same as the Xbox one last gen? Also I have read little of this supposed bad press for Sony, the ongoing demand for PS5s has been much bigger news.

Im not saying Xbox won't turn things around somewhat either, MS is making a lot of right moves. I just don't think these current issues are anywhere near as significant as is being implied.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was more heat on Sony as it could light a fire under them to change some things but I don't see it making much difference unfortunately. Even on this forum there's ton of people who want to tell me that I shouldn't care about old games. But I do care so I can only make decisions that work out for me by moving away from PlayStation but I'm under no illusions that I represent the mass market.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inappropriate comparisons, trolling
no, people will eat whatever Sony throws them
if they don't flinch at slave labor, they sure won't flinch at lack of bc

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
No, this is just an enthusiast problem. If it was the more mainstream, skin and battle pass buying players, then maybe it would have elicited some response from Sony. Even then, not unless it was perceived as damaging to their brand.

Last edited:

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Don't see anything negative that will hit the mainstream.

The PS5 will be a huge success. Worldwide it'll probably outsell the Xbox by 50 million consoles.

It would be kinda hilarious if Playstation couldn't outsell the Xbox. Remembering back in the day the Xbox makes no sense anymore because all of it's games are on PC. And as we know since those days: Theres zero reason to buy an Xbox because everyone has a beefy gaming pc. It's always so funny to read the typical posts about sales numbers :)

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
No, because people will just point to the first-party-games, driveling, shrug the negative headlines off and keep playing their games.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
If their conpetitor is putting out goty contenders in a much great number since they have more than double the studios plus cheaper and better hardware plus better Services. Yea I do think it's possible.
This hypothetical scenario may happen. On the other hand PS5 has a lineup ready this year. The hardware contrast has been defined by the controller more than anything so far. And gamepass is quantity vs specific IPs people followed en masse in previous gens. They have been the leader for so long, it's hard to see the needle change much.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Enthusiasts are as fickle as the mainstream. All will be forgotten as soon as Bloodborne 2 is announced

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't know why
If their conpetitor is putting out goty contenders in a much great number since they have more than double the studios plus cheaper and better hardware plus better Services. Yea I do think it's possible.

MS are still yet to prove that though, regardless of how many studios they own.

Cheaper hardware? Do you mean the Series S? And better hardware hardly made the One X a big seller, the difference between the PS5 and the Series X isn't huge anyway.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
All I know is the public cares about new games the most.

Sony is coming out with a couple of new games in the upcoming months. What is Microsoft's next big release? I am being serious here.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I personally don't think anything can really harm PlayStation's reputation atm unless it is ridiculously dumb. As long as people continue to dislike or pay no mind to Xbox in countries where PlayStation dominates, they will look past any blemishes to the PlayStation brand.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, Playstation as a brand has proven to be teflon and they've pretty much been so since entering the console space, they're undisputedly Apple status in the gaming sphere where people will buy Playstation home consoles no matter what Sony does at this juncture. Even with losing billions on the PS3 they still sold 80+ million and flew right back with the PS4 and PS5 will likely be more of the same. Double standards or not unlike Microsoft and to a lesser extent Nintendo, any negative Playstation moves simply doesn't generate outrage that damages their brand.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is the public cares about new games the most.

Sony is coming out with a couple of new games in the upcoming months. What is Microsoft's next big release? I am being serious here.

As far as we know, Psychonauts 2 sometime this year and Halo in November but they'll surely have a couple of surprises for later this year that will probably be announced in June. I have high hopes. On the other hand, the general public aren't going to stop caring about the next God of War, Horizon or Spider-Man on PS5 because they can't access the PSP and Vita storefronts anymore and a first party baseball game is releasing on Game Pass.

They shouldn't start getting complacent though, and time will tell if they have reached the same point Nintendo has where they can largely ignore their competition as Xbox hasn't been on it's A-Game like this in a long time.

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
I think Game Pass, FPS boost and BC is making Sony look a bit out of touch with the core audience - especially because there is a lull in new AAA releases rn and Sony have nothing to talk about, while xbox is dominating the news cycle with consumer and player friendly announcements.

I honestly don't think that general public have negative views about anything to do with gaming. But they do understand value. Game Pass will influence them. I also disagree with a lot of people in here saying that enthusiasts don't influence sales and sentiments. Of course they do. That's marketing 101. That's why brands focus so much on their core audience. People who are "in the know" influence friends and family. I convinced two of my friends to get an Xbox when they asked me what the deal with game pass was. That's how it works.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Positive things about Xbox and Nintendo does not equal to negative things about PlayStation. They're basically in the same (very successful) spot they've always been.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think so. It's mostly just noise from the internet and Sony haven't suddenly turned into the devil or something. Apart from them raising the RRP of their first party games they're still offering good value in other departments, and still releasing high quality games. The strong competition from MS is good though and will probably force Sony into making more 'pro consumer' choices, but in the end the brand will continue to carry PlayStation to success unless they really fuck things up somehow.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
No. It was evitable that they eventually shut the services for PS3 and Vita and focus more on newer consoles. PS4 backwards compatibility is more than enough for me. That said, make Tales of Graces f and Resonance of Fate remasters/remakes happen, please.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, Playstation as a brand has proven to be teflon and they've pretty much been so since entering the console space, they're undisputedly Apple status in the gaming sphere where people will buy Playstation home consoles no matter what Sony does at this juncture. Even with losing billions on the PS3 they still sold 80+ million and flew right back with the PS4 and PS5 will likely be more of the same. Double standards or not unlike Microsoft and to a lesser extent Nintendo, any negative Playstation moves simply doesn't generate outrage that damages their brand.

You make it sound as if they have done something so egregious that at some point in time consumers shouldn't have been buying their consoles. They put out consoles people like and hence sell a lot. They release powerful hardware for good prices usually (lol PS3) and always have the most games in the console space. Why wouldn't they be successful?

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why

MS are still yet to prove that though, regardless of how many studios they own.

Cheaper hardware? Do you mean the Series S? And better hardware hardly made the One X a big seller, the difference between the PS5 and the Series X isn't huge anyway.

I mean lets agree the potential is there to happen and let's agree too that with the studios both own. Ms will likely have alot more variety too.

The cheaper hardware is a trojan horse as a second gamepass console that might change user spending on the other console. Anyway I don't have a xbox but they undenieable have alot of positive things going for them.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Another case of 'it should, but it probably won't move the needle' I think.

There is no negative attention
I mean you can absolutely dispute the level of negative attention and how the wider market outside of enthusiast press and forum dwellers don't really seem to be bothered by the news, but you can't seriously say there isn't *any* negative attention...