• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will adaptive triggers and advanced haptic feedback just be a fad or will they be a paradigm shift?

• Fad

Votes: 569 38.1%
  • Paradigm shift

Votes: 289 19.4%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 634 42.5%

• Total voters

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Nintendo, Playstation, and Microsoft and come together and decide on some controller standards.

Gyro, HD haptics, rumble triggers, and adaptive triggers would be even better if they were universal, but 3rd party developers will always design for the lowest common denominator (MS with Xbox and Windows today). They should be game changers, they undoubtedly make the game experience better (many players with the Nintendo Switch already know this).

It'll be great for 1st party games, likely ignored by 3rd party manufacturers unless Sony/Nintendo throw money at them.
Great post.

This is what it would take for these new features to become standard in future games.

If they are not supported by all 3 companies then almost no 3rd party devs are going to take advantage of them.

Gyro should be standard in games but it is not. I fear this will share the same fate.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Easy to say in hindsight, being that the Switch is three years old. Just because it's a cool piece of tech doesn't mean it's going to become widely adopted.

Cough VR cough...

VR is in a better place than ever though?

VR was never going to become a thing overnight, but it's been steadily gaining traction and there is tons of innovation and experimentation happening between all the different VR platforms

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Easy to say in hindsight, being that the Switch is three years old. Just because it's a cool piece of tech doesn't mean it's going to become widely adopted.

Cough VR cough...

VR requires you to buy a separate piece of hardware to play it, the DualSense is included in every single PS5. No one realistically expects that every single developer will put it to great use. But like I said, if Sony's devs are using it and if it's as good as everyone is saying, then it's goin to be used a lot more than some are thinking. I mean, even CoD is using it and they never used extra controller functionality in previous Sony controllers.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a fad or anything, and I'm really excited to literally get my hands on the controller, but "new" features like this always worry me for long term adoption. HD Rumble, second screen inputs, touchpad, playing audio logs through the DS4. All supper awesome features that feel like devs just stopped spending any meaningful time on after 6 months or so.

I think the Haptic implementations have the best chance of being utilized long term, I just hope devs don't drop focus on it after the "honeymoon period"

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR requires you to buy a separate piece of hardware to play it, the DualSense is included in every single PS5. No one realistically expects that every single developer will put it to great use. But like I said, if Sony's devs are using it and if it's as good as everyone is saying, then it's goin to be used a lot more than some are thinking. I mean, even CoD is using it and they never used extra controller functionality in previous Sony controllers.
A super tell tale sign will be if next year's COD uses it. I could see Sony asking/paying them to put it to use this year so it could be part of their marketing.

Fair point though. It's not like I don't WANT it to be adopted, I guess I'm just pessimistic.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did HD Rumble ever take off?
That's your answer

Edit: Actually wait, maybe not. HD Rumble is way less advanced and interesting than what Sony is doing so maybe people will try a bit harder with it than never.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Paradigm shift. People going hands-on with it are losing their minds. I can see a common thing being said this coming gen - "Does X game use the haptics thoroughly?" and it being a genuine factor. Players will get used to the controller feeling 'alive' in their hands and it feeling kinda 'dead' when the haptics aren't fully taken advantage of.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Somewhere in between but leaning towards fad.

Because it's only on one platform, any multiplatform(including PC game) will have no use or poor use of the feature.

This is Sixaxis 2.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
That's your answer

Edit: Actually wait, maybe not. HD Rumble is way less advanced and interesting than what Sony is doing so maybe people will try a bit harder with it than never.
Your edit is exactly why it has a much greater chance of taking off. Now I don't think it will get tons and tons of 3rd party support, but I could definitely see a lot of 1st parties supporting it across the generation.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I don't think it's a fad or anything, and I'm really excited to literally get my hands on the controller, but "new" features like this always worry me for long term adoption. HD Rumble, second screen inputs, touchpad, playing audio logs through the DS4. All supper awesome features that feel like devs just stopped spending any meaningful time on after 6 months or so.

I think the Haptic implementations have the best chance of being utilized long term, I just hope devs don't drop focus on it after the "honeymoon period"

Totally agree.

What gives me hope is how many third parties are already taking advantage of the haptics and triggers. I mean games like NBA 2K21, Call of Duty, etc. utilizing the adaptive triggers is HUGE, because it introduces the features to huge swaths of casual players who might not ever pick up something like Demon's Souls or Sackboy.

If the triggers are as awesome and game-changing as the first impressions lead us to believe, then once those players get a taste of how the experience is improved, they're going to expect those triggers in every CoD & NBA game going forward and it'd be hard to put the genie back in the bottle at that point.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
That's your answer

There are already more than 30 confirmed games that take advantage of the dualsense functions.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the impressions it really should become a paradigm shift but we never know. I guess it will depend on the public's reception.

But the HD rumble is never a good comparison imo. The Dual Sense was clearly designed around its new features, it's the controller's main focus while this isn't the case for the joy-cons.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree.

What gives me hope is how many third parties are already taking advantage of the haptics and triggers. I mean games like NBA 2K21, Call of Duty, etc. utilizing the adaptive triggers is HUGE, because it introduces the features to huge swaths of casual players who might not ever pick up something like Demon's Souls or Sackboy.

If the triggers are as awesome and game-changing as the first impressions lead us to believe, then once those players get a taste of how the experience is improved, they're going to expect those triggers in every CoD & NBA game going forward and it'd be hard to put the genie back in the bottle at that point.
I agree there for sure. It's good to have a lot of the big players developing for it and giving their efforts on it. I seriously hope they continue...next fall when their new titles come out will be a big moment to see if they continue to carry through with support

I think one promising thing is sony was deliberate to provide dev tools to make implementation easier which I think would help it be adopted in every game.
Another good point. The more care and attention given to the dev tools will make devs actually want to implement it, and have fun developing for it. It seems Sony has good tools, based off of early 3PP support, so that is indeed encouraging

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I think one promising thing is sony was deliberate to provide dev tools to make implementation easier which I think would help it be adopted in every game.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
After the impressions it really should become a paradigm shift but we never know. I guess it will depend on the public's reception.

But the HD rumble is never a good comparison imo. The Dual Sense was clearly designed around its new features, it's the controller's main focus while this isn't the case for the joy-cons.

Exactly. I get so tired of hearing people snidely say "look at HD rumble, there's your answer" since it's kind of apples to oranges. It'd be like people saying VR will be a failure because of the Virtual Boy lol

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
Looking at the previews, this looks like it's going to be a lot bigger of a thing than I initially thought. Seems like it really adds to what's going on

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It's really something we need to hear from developers on. I'll be sad if it ends up being another sixaxis/touchpad where it COULD have had so many brilliant uses but devs either didn't want to put in the work or they used multiplatform as an excuse to exclude.

The fact that we're seeing multiplatform games announced with DS features though is at least somewhat promising because I believe even in the early days of PS3 and PS4 multiplats hardly supported sixaxis and touchpad at all. (moreso sixaxis than the pad)

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sadly these kind of features are typically pushed to early gen fads due to developers not being required to think about them in the initial game design. Just like the PS4 touch pad, the inherent nature of interactivity can be an intriguing outlier to typical raw power talk, but it never results in anything. We've had rumble for years now and the best use of them is locating your controller when lost.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they'll be a fad but I think a paradigm shift is probably overselling it too.

The haptics in the Switch controller haven't been a fad. It's just... kinda normal in most games. Not many great 'wow' moments outside of counting marbles in 1-2 Switch. But they're used in every game (because they replaced the traditional rumble). So doesn't really justify being called a fad. I understand the DualSense haptics are maybe stronger or more nuanced or something but we'll see I guess. Point being the haptics in the joycon and the Pro controller are capable of doing new crazy unique feedback (we've seen it occasionally and it's a super cool effect!), it's just that very few games have bothered. Usually it's just a buzz like normal rumble.

I think the adaptive triggers will be awesome and I hope devs have fun playing with them.

The fact that half of the Keighly demo was talking about the speaker (that the DualShock already has) and blowing into the mic (which the DS has done forever and is an awful gameplay mechanic) was a little concerning for how much this tech is gonna be used.
The haptic feedback in the joycons was pretty instrumental in Ring Fit Adventure. Every move had HD Rumble to help clue you in on your form.

But otherwise, I agree. It's just more of the same at a higher fidelity in most applications of the technology.

But that's not a bad thing.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I guess only a few first party titles will take us of it, kinda like the built in speaker and touch pad on Dualshock 4.

There's already tons of third party games with confirmed support for haptics and adaptive triggers:
www.resetera.com

DualSense™ |OT| Touch Your Dreams™ OT

The DualSense Features Haptic Feedback (HF): Refers to the two Voice Coil Actuators present on the DualSense, they are capable of a wide range of vibrations and are superior to the Rumble present on today's controllers. Adaptive Triggers (AT): Triggers that can create a variable resistance...

Including big games like CoD: Cold War, NBA 2K21, Madden 21, Fifa 21, Deathloop, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Avengers, Devil May Cry 5 SE, etc.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's your answer
HD Rumble is just how Nintendo refers to the same haptics that are included in the Dualsense, and your cellphone, and the Steam Controller, and basically everything except for the Xbox controller
So depending on how you look at it... yeah, it kinda did take off

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be paradigm shift at all but I'm sure there will be cool implementations throughout the whole gen. And even then, I expect it will be more novel than game changing.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's already tons of third party games with confirmed support for haptics and adaptive triggers:
www.resetera.com

DualSense™ |OT| Touch Your Dreams™ OT

The DualSense Features Haptic Feedback (HF): Refers to the two Voice Coil Actuators present on the DualSense, they are capable of a wide range of vibrations and are superior to the Rumble present on today's controllers. Adaptive Triggers (AT): Triggers that can create a variable resistance...

Including big games like CoD: Cold War, NBA 2K21, Madden 21, Fifa 21, Deathloop, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Avengers, Devil May Cry 5 SE, etc.
Same thing was the case for Sixaxis at launch, I'd bet we'll watch it slowly drop as time goes on.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the Tools are easy, why wouldn't 3P use it? We learned today that it's awsome tech. So I don't understand how this is a fad.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
If the Tools are easy, why wouldn't 3P use it? We learned today that it's awsome tech. So I don't understand how this is a fad.

Agreed.

The tools are easy to use, the features are reportedly extremely fun and add a lot to the experience, and they have a lot more potential practical applications (for any genre) than the lightbar or touchpad ever had so third parties will have more intrinsic motivation to take advantage of them.

I could be overly optimistic, that's entirely possible, but I think many people are honestly being way too cynical about this

Oct 27, 2017
Ask that of 3rd party devs who don't implement gyro controls in PS games even though the tech has been in there since the six axis. Just because it's there and seemingly cool doesn't necessarily mean devs will support it. I have no doubt people can parade out a number of devs supporting this new feature, but the question is the cool/unique uses will last throughout the gen or if it'll just be early on

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Specific use of DualSense will probably come from 1st party, but 3rd party will adopt some things that will just become standard. A good example is a racing game. There's no reason for racing games ignore adaptive triggers, since it's something that enhance the gameplay experience and gives the player more control during a race. In the end, it will depend how easier is for a dev implement this. Things like surface feedback, hit feedback, etc, will just become standard because it's something that's present in every game.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be modded in the future to allow 1:1 emulation controller-wise of Super Mario Sunshine, and there will be a Kotaku article, a thread Era about it.

And that.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ask that of 3rd party devs who don't implement gyro controls in PS games even though the tech has been in there since the six axis. Just because it's there and seemingly cool doesn't necessarily mean devs will support it. I have no doubt people can parade out a number of devs supporting this new feature, but the question is the cool/unique uses will last throughout the gen or if it'll just be early on

They but they went the extra mile for the switch as well. While i don't agree devs might think ps players dont want gyro. There is no other way because the work is basically done with your example.

If sony made it easy enough to support, I see no reason why they wouldn't. Forced parity sucks. Its like 12 tf,10 tf or less fuck it guys we wont give the strongest console any advantage.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends how easy it is to integrate and make a standard in a genre.

Rumble and the likes stuck because it was a piece of piss to integrate across everything from fighters to racing games.

If these features can do the same thing they'll stick around. If not, they won't. Simple as that.

Oct 27, 2017
If sony made it easy enough to support, I see no reason why they wouldn't. Forced parity sucks. Its like 12 tf,10 tf or less fuck it guys we wont give the strongest console any advantage.
I think not just Sony, but fans have to make it known that's what they want. Gyros really didn't become essentially standard in every Switch title with aiming (or at least with an announced patch if they weren't included at launch) until fans started asking about them every time on twitter. I don't usually think twitter responses make a difference to devs, but in that case they actually seemed to have. I'm not sure if a ton of PS fans will be as enthusiastic about demanding it of devs. It remains to be seen when it actually comes out

Rumble and the likes stuck because it was a piece of piss to integrate across everything from fighters to racing games.
Where are you getting this from? Just because Sony has tools making this easier to implement, doesn't mean rumble was ever difficult to

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
It will absolutely be a paradigm shift. For those saying its a mere vibration - you haven't experienced it yet. Its a game changer for the game feel and the feel of pressing down on the triggers.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think rumble was a paradigm shift so I definitely don't think super rumble will be one either.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I have never liked rumble. I always turn it off, and I want to save you're overselling it, but then I remember people freaking the fuck out and losing their damn minds when the PS3 launched without rumble.

I hope the triggers end up being more than a fad.

Oct 25, 2017
If these features actually excite developers the same way they seem to be exciting players AND Sony has made implementation easy, then I think this feature will be used by 3rd parties more often than not. Will it always be in clever, novel ways? Probably not. But if even a basic implementation adds something to the experience, that's a net positive for everyone.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I voted fad...but I lean slightly toward somewhere in between. It will be implemented in cool ways for certain games People will like it. But a lot like rumble, it just become a thing that is there.

This is obviously my take without having tried it. Ill be happy to change my mind.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I voted fad...but I lean slightly toward somewhere in between. It will be implemented in cool ways for certain games People will like it. But a lot like rumble, it just become a thing that is there.

That's the exact nature of paradigm shifts though-- they're cool and fresh and new for a while and then they just become the standard.

Nobody steps into a car these days and is like "woah this is so crazy!" Cars are just there. That doesn't mean an important shift didn't happen. If we get to the point where we just expect haptics & adaptive triggers and don't think of them as a novelty, then that will be the definition of a paradigm shift having happened

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this already on the Xbox One controller? The triggers I mean, and Switch has had it. I think now with PS5 adopting it and maybe even improving it will cement it as a regular thing going forward.