• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should they do that?

• Yes

Votes: 415 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 347 45.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Honestly, I can't vote on this. It's up to the studio to decide. People join Naughty Dog and Rockstar for the games they make, they want to make those kinds of games. So it's entirely up to wherever their passion is.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Supergiant Games and tons of other indie studios are proof that you can create timeless experiences without having to animate a horse's testicle in the cold

NineTailSage

Jan 26, 2020
Hidden Leaf
These next-gen systems will be more than powerful enough to focus on things beyond visual fidelity. Hopefully we see some real advancements in Ai, physics engines, world building in scale and details with interactions. I hate to bring up BoTW and yes there are many things that could be improved in that world, but freedom to be creative and play how you like have to constantly be acknowledged. People are still posting video clips of totally unique things being done that I've never seen before in that game.

Great visuals and storytelling are excellent to have in any game, but the levels to which those characters interact with the game world should also matter...

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Just don't reveal the games until very close to when they think it's ready to come out. They can tease the game but don't outright reveal it. Kinda like RE2Remake where we kinda knew the game was real, but it was revealed quite close to release. The hype is still there I think.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I voted yes in "hell yeah" mode, but that question is actually a tough one.

Long story short, fewer studios should pursue the "AAA model", but ambitious AAA games definitely have their place, just not the overbearing one they have now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Consumers are often the ones driving this push for crazy visuals and content.
See how much flak Respawn kept getting even here for slow addition of content in Apex legends.
Or see how mass effect andromeda got absolutely trashed for having some wonky looking animations. A huge part of the issue is the consumers, and unless the opinion of the consumers change wrt demands of quality of visuals, this will still go on.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
You think Nintendo's devs aren't crunching?

We haven't got any reports to that effect, and they seem to have really good talent retention, so I'm not going to automatically assume the worst.

According to this article, Nintendo employees work less than 8 hours a day...

www.businessinsider.com

Nintendo employees in Japan earn an average salary of $80,653 and work less than 8 hours a day

Nintendo of Japan revealed the work conditions of more than 2,000 employees on a company recruitment page, including work hours and average age.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Also, competition exist. One company choosing to not pursue it, while everyone else does will result in that one company being punished by consumers and critics in sales. They won't be praised for it.
This isn't necessarily the case. Fortnite and PUBG look like high-res 360 games. CoD's graphics have been the butt of jokes until just recently. MOBAs look serviceable but that's about it. Minecraft is just blocks. Nintendo has been one of, if not the top publisher in sales for the past couple years and they're essentially half a generation behind everyone else in terms of production values.

You don't need the best graphics to sell lots of games and be massively profitable.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The real problem isn't really the pursuit of high production values, it's the deadline based schedule which is extremely dependant on publisher's need for money at a particular time. You can reduce the scope all you want but as long as the publisher need to make money in a certain quarter the same issue will pop.

Crunch didn't start with the HD era, it was already there even when developing a game took 6 months.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
AAA developers don't need to lower the bar, they need to be managed better

Crunch should be for when something goes catastrophically wrong, it shouldn't be relied on as a normal part of development, it is fucking crazy

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Without the pursuit of making gaming bigger and better I don't see the point of it. The problem is nobody is in pursuit of making that journey better. They can both be improved

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
ORI should be the norm

giphy.gif

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
It probably wouldn't change anything in regards to crunch. The studios would just decrease in size and instead of 300 people crunching to get the games out sooner, it would be 100 people. We'd definitely get more games though.

You have to change the culture within the industry and unionize.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
No. Industry has to innovate and move forward. Instead of people asking for them to not try and get better, why not ask for them to have better care for their employees?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. They painted themselves into a corner long ago and now they got to do what they got to do.

Aug 26, 2018
Why wouldn't any Dev/publisher/company aim for the best possible version of their game that they spent blood and tears on?

Is pursuit of excellence now deemed bad?

*Pursuit of Excellence is the games and also taking excellent care of the people who make those games because that is the right thing to do.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Digital foundary folks and their followers says no....because needs more native pixels and better raytracing /s

Anyway, tech progress regardless u wants it or not.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
One of my favorite things about Nintendo is their refusal to fall into the trap that is the realism arms race which causes budgets to balloon while simultaneously making the games inevitably age poorly.

if more had studios followed their lead and made stylized games with lower production values, then they could afford to take more risks and put out more niche titles.

Unfortuantely at this point it'll be tough to train (non-Nintendo) consumers away from that mindset that more realistic = better because that's been the driving force for so long

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
No. Maybe instead they stop trying to make every game mega long. I just unlocked the last area in Days Gone and thought goddamn you don't even need this in the game. It probably wouldn't have taken them 7 years to develop if they made a more conservative map and story.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
People are focusing too much on how the games look. If developers stop trying to make graphics better it doesn't mean it'll take less work or crunch to actually make the games. Everything involved in making a game follows the same mentality. 60fps, physics, online functionality, balancing, interactivity of the game's systems...

Making a AAA game will always be like this with or without a pursuit of better graphics, if you want change it would need an actual change in the whole culture of the industry and at that point it wouldn't even be AAA anymore. That might be positive or not, but it's not about visual showcase.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I think it would help a lot if studios that don't crunch would brag about it more/ shame studios with crunch

Convincing people to not buy games with heavy crunch is impossible, but it would definitely be possible to get more people to buy games without heavy crunch

No. Maybe instead they stop trying to make every game mega long. I just unlocked the last area in Days Gone and thought goddamn you don't even need this in the game. It probably wouldn't have taken them 7 years to develop if they made a more conservative map and story.

Seriously
There were so many games this gen that we're so unnecessarily long

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wish AAA studios would calm down with pushing the graphical envelope, mostly so that the new consoles have enough headroom to run the games at 60+ fps.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Not necessarily, but I'd rather have less ambitious titles than play something that required devs to basically die at their desks working.

So what I think they should do is aspire for the best, but be allowed to take more time. I can wait a few more months, or even a couple of years, if it means better work conditions for everyone involved.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I like my bells and whistles.

Not a fan of crunch though, delay your game ppl.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I hope that graphics have sort of 'peaked' (maybe through raytracing) and they can finally focus more on interesting AI/physics/collision development instead of #MoarShaders!

HL Alyx sort of does because of the new input opportunities of VR. They're physics implementation sound really tricky according to they're latest interview.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying no because developers should make the games how they desire it. If they want to bleed the tech dry, go right ahead. I personally don't care one way or the other. As long as the game is good, that's all that matters.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
just see how many people get disappointed when a new game does not have Rockstar/Naughty Dog levels of detail.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad platforms like Switch exists that doesn't focus on AAA. There are AAA games on it of course, but not as much and I like it a lot. I like my games to be more focused on a concept and stick with that instead of being focused on huge worlds and eye candy. I do want a steak diner from time to time though so I don't mind AAA.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Personally, I'm moved far more by mechanics, writing, art direction and feel than I am by visuals - stylised visuals also date way less than realistic ones (citation: LoZ: The Windwaker).

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a phenomena solely relegated to video games though?

You could say 'phones are good enough we should stop' or cars, CPUs, etc etc. It isn't likely to happen.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Yes absolutely major "game" studios should actually try to learn what a budget is and not just do made for 300 million "experiences" or $50 Olive Garden gift card given to a weekend janitor freemium rubbish. This isn't really sustainable at the level they are taking things. Plus in terms of pushing actual gameplay they aren't anyway and haven't for quite a while. Nobody pushes systems anymore, there's no real difference from a lot of first year Xbox one games to now, visually, in particular for instance. It's not like in the past where a new hardware generation would bring a whole bunch of new game types and perspectives and such, it'll be more 1st/3rd person shooters since that's the only type they seem to understand, and they'll just be higher resolution on average than today but still not generally 60 fps and still a bunch of sub native resolution but with pretty effects since pretty pictures are what sells things the easiest.

Last edited:

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Yes for me.
Switch success proves it. Even on consoles my favourite games are far from cutting edge.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't necessarily the case. Fortnite and PUBG look like high-res 360 games. CoD's graphics have been the butt of jokes until just recently. MOBAs look serviceable but that's about it. Minecraft is just blocks. Nintendo has been one of, if not the top publisher in sales for the past couple years and they're essentially half a generation behind everyone else in terms of production values.

You don't need the best graphics to sell lots of games and be massively profitable.

Yes but then that also comes with other trouble Fornite is know for getting out content at a crazy rate .
If you talk about something being sustainable it's the same thing but just another issue that part of it.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
just see how many people get disappointed when a new game does not have Rockstar/Naughty Dog levels of detail.
This.

In the discussion of scope reduction, I received by some posters here the following quotes:

How about not getting masterpieces? The things we rarely ever get in gaming compared to the sea of average titles.

:S

You guys want table tennis that much?

That clearly hasn't been their direction in years and given the scope of something like RDR2 (not to mention the sales and critical praise) why should they be forced to return to smaller projects?

What they are doing clearly works, outside of crunch time. (which is an industry-wide problem)

We don't need more average games. We need more amazing games. They're one of the few providing those.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Yep, the current AAA standard just can't hold. It seems probably unsustainable. If you scheduled to avoid crunch, all but a few of these games would end up in dev cycles so long they couldn't be profitable. Only the guaranteed 20 million+ sellers like GTA could afford it. There's going to have to be some scaling back. Improving tech will make up for some of it, but there's a certain level of bespoke polish that just isn't tenable without labor exploitation.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
No. AAA studios are the only ones pushing cutting edge visual fidelity and high graphical quality these days.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
They should follow Nintendo and Sega. Do an AAA game but at the same time have other teams consisting of younger developers working on smaller projects while also training and gaining experience. With thousands of personnel they can surely afford it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I've been hoping we'd go into looking at advancing scripting/AI/etc for a while now instead of pushing polycounts, but I've been in the minority of that. Mainly because visuals are instantly identifiable and what the casual audience praises/looks at.

Unfortunately I don't see it changing but yes I'd rather they stop worrying about graphics so much, but I say that as someone who actively puts mods on games to make them look better as well, but didn't dictate how I felt about the game originally.

I'll take Fuzzy Witcher on the Go just as much as HD REworked Witcher depending on context. So long as a game is good the graphics don't matter.