• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should they do that?

• Yes

Votes: 415 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 347 45.5%

• Total voters

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen it all from the previous decade or so. Every time there's a game delay announcement, it usually came from a big AAA studio. From my observation, there's an obvious silver lining. They're all going for the same pursuit: visual showcase and high production value. These include, but not limited to, graphics (textures, polygons, etc), animation, sound, and the scope of the game. The standard is so high while the devs have so limited time, and the result is the same: delays and/or crunches.

Thus, do we really need AAA games to keep hitting the limit? Why not step back for a bit and maximize the potential of current technologies and best practices instead of just pursuing the unknown?

This doesn't mean to limit the creativity of the devs. Instead of clogging the resources to production value and cutting edge technology, the devs can explore the other parts of the game that were not possible before. The visuals from current gen techs are impressive already, why not try to maximize that instead? For example, they can improve on much better LOD, less pop-ins, faster load times, and consistent framerates, new mechanics, and more creative stuff. Just imagine how fast and efficient would it take to develop new games that way. AAA studios may be able to produce more than just 1 game within a generation.

The current trend of AAA development is simply not sustainable.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Short answer is yes from me. Games look great as is and them pushing it further and further is what leads to people expecting more and more visual flair which in return again leads to them pushing further and so on.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yes. I think more devs should take the Nintendo approach and focus on unique art direction rather than bleeding edge tech.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
people here would say that they should, the problem is that they will also complain when the games come out if those studios will do that.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Every time a AAA title hits the limit, it will be better reviewed and people will compare other AAA titles to that one, therefore making sure the pursuit of visual showcase will "never" stop. So yeah, maybe once we reach a point where you can't tell the difference between games released in the prior 10 or so years, but for now, no.

Should they, though? Yes, to a point. It's extremely taxing for many companies that don't know how to handle it and just stress their employees to make them create stuff at a similar quality than things done by larger teams with larger budgets, prior knowledge, etc.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Someone should do it, and only they have the resources. But I wish at least some of them pursued interactivity instead. I'm tired of only being able to interact with worlds by killing things.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
people here would say that they should, the problem is that they will also complain when the games come out if those studios will do that.

modiz got it right.

Also, competition exist. One company choosing to not pursue it, while everyone else does will result in that one company being punished by consumers and critics in sales. They won't be praised for it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
People will always demand visual spectacles. During the 8bit and 16bit, computer and console era , Cinemaware was the leader In this field. There's actually a few really good docs (I believe one by Kim Justice) on their work and their rise and fall

That said outside of nostalgia value games that look really good with no intrinsic value tend to not age well and fall off quickly , also a problem with Cinemaware games

Not saying I don't like good looking games, but games can look quite good using relatively modest hardware these days. The pursuit for 4K quality textures, models and high res gaming in general feels unecessary and wasteful

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I could be wrong about this, but doesn't RayTracing give a massive visual boost effectively for "free" compared to having to manually fake all of the lighting with smoke and mirrors?

But yes, I'd like more AAA games to tackle many more artstyles.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 was not a great game and the super high end graphics didn't help make the game too much better. FFXIV looks a lot worse than FFXV most of the time but it can still wow me and the game is better that they can create so much content than trying to be technically high end.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Of course not. Hit the limit and go beyond.

God of War absolutely blew me away, what a revolutionary title.

That's the kind of production everyone should aim for.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Absolutely. It's been actively hindering the amount of effort put into systems design and gameplay for a decade now.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. The "Oh my fucking God! Graphics!" approach is directly responsible for the homogenization and lack of innovation in the AA - AAA space.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they necessarily need to, but they probably shouldn't announce a release date until the game goes gold and more time should be given in general. Theres no reason a game needs to rush from gold to shelves, so just get the damn thing gold and then start marketing for a few months before releasing it. It'll give them a bit more fluidity so there isnt this looming deadline that millions of people are waiting for

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Absolutely.

modiz got it right.

Also, competition exist. One company choosing to not pursue it, while everyone else does will result in that one company being punished by consumers and critics in sales. They won't be praised for it.
Nintendo games proved otherwise, with BOTW as the latest example. It was praised through the roof and received many awards and recognition.

It's not all about cutting edge visuals. Artstyle and mechanics matter too.

Vonbon

Jun 4, 2018
I think there's a little more to it than a simple do or don't type decision. These are creative people who are trying to one-up or match the quality of their previous works. A lot of the time the demos or reveal renders made are a target of what they think they can reasonably achieve with the talent they have at the studio, right?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice, but it's honestly a visual arms race of sorts at this point for the AAA studios to stay viable. The trends of what sells in that realm definitely gear towards impressive graphics.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Nintendo games proved otherwise, with BOTW as the latest example. It was praised through the roof and received many awards and recognition.

It's not all about cutting edge visuals. Artstyle and mechanics matter too.

There are always exceptions; and Nintendo has historically always been able to be one of those who held their fort in that aspect.

There are not many examples of others.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Why should they do that? Showing new tech and possibilities is one of the good thing of AAA.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even a question for me. It would make things so much more sustaintable and healthy for the industry and the employees.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The AAA space is what it is because the people buying these games want all the eye candy they can get. As much as I'd want that, you're basically asking AAA devs to stop making AAA games.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
modiz got it right.

i think it depends what you substitute the production values with.

basically where else the money you save on those goes.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There are always exceptions; and Nintendo has historically always been able to be one of those who held their fort in that aspect.

There are not many examples of others.
There are.

From the previous 3 years alone, we've had multiple indie games that received multiple awards and scored pretty high on meta/opencritic. Inside, Kentucky Route Zero, Divinity Original Sin 2, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Into the Breach, Undertale, Celeste, Disco Elysium, and more that I may have missed. They all had 90+ metacritic scores.

Now, imagine what AAA studios can achieve with their resources if they went for creativity route instead.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Yes and no, for me.

I love that studios like Naughty Dog are always trying to push the boundaries of visual fidelity. But I also don't want each and every AAA studio to focus primarely/solely on that aspect.

Basically, I would some studios to focus on graphics and high production value, and others on gameplay/systems and content (not that one and the other are incompatible). Variety is always better, but I get that AAA development is expensive and that pretty graphics are attractive.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

Amen. Think about how mercilessly any graphical glitch in an AAA game is dragged across social media for years, often being one of the top google results for the games etc.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think each studio should make whatever game it wants to make.

The idea that high production values are a universal ideal should be quelled though. The "let's aim for this because it seems like the thing that everyone is aiming for" is never a good place to start from.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We've seen it all from the previous decade or so. Every time there's a game delay announcement, it usually came from a big AAA studio.
I think that's more related to AAA productions having to determine a release date earlier than smaller productions because of pre-orders, physical release etc.
An indie game getting delayed also doesn't really hit the news cycle.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
100% the soundbite that entered my head when I read the title.
Same.

giphy.gif

And yeah, I do. Aside from other reasons, for the most part, being on the cutting edge visually is great...for that moment. But the ones that have stood the test of time are always more stylised.

I realise that it would an incredibly difficult argument to make to convince studios to stop now however.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
After the mixed reception for Valorant for having a clean visual aesthetic for competitive play it's obvious AAA studios know what their audience wants.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Btw, not chasing insanely high production values and not wanting to create a visual showcase will not automatically delete crunch. When you make a game, and when you want to make it as good as possible, chances are you will be in a big rush at some point during its development.
Game development is not an exact science and there will always be unforeseen problems, especially if you try new creative things. Even if you don't create a big realistic looking open-world.

Game developers and game development studios should absolutely aim for the less crunch possible and work towards that goal, but it's just not as simple as what that thread implies.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Consumers are often the ones driving this push for crazy visuals and content.
See how much flak Respawn kept getting even here for slow addition of content in Apex legends.