• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New game?

• Yes, they'll make Mega Man 12

Votes: 32 12.8%
  • A new X series game seems obvious at this point

Votes: 146 58.4%
  • They'll reboot Legends 3 (THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE)

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • I think ZX3 seems most likely after the collections have all been released now

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • They'll make a new Star Force! I believe

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • A brand new series is coming next

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • They're not making a new game anytime soon

Votes: 40 16.0%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I remember they teased something back with the X Collection, but I fear that may have just been Rockman X Dive on Mobile. I was really hoping for an X9.

I still don't think they're going to let the series lie dormant, especially after releasing two collections. We got Mega Man 11 after the Mega Man Classic collections, so my personal hope is that X Dive is not considered the X series followup, and that we're still going to get an X9 sometime soon.

My other hope is that they'll finally continue the Zero/ZX series and make ZX3, resolving that cliffhanger and capitalizing on the recently released Zero/ZX Collection.

What do you think?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
X9 SOON.

X Dive will probably release within the next couple months and the Battle Network Mobile game late 2020/early 2021. Maybe a Legends or BN Collection next year.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I just hope they either port X Dive to Consoles/PC, make ZX3 (even though I don't think they have a good relationship with inti as they erased them from the compilations), or make a new SF/BN/Legends. I reallllly don't want a Mega Man 12 so soon after the last one. I'd rather have a Rockman World 6 with a Game Boy throwback style if we must do classic, but releasing a sequel to 11 so quickly would repeat the burnout that made the series go hide for a few years to begin with.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How soon is "soon" in this context? Because I think X9 could happen in the next few years.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Aren't the X Collections almost 2 years old by now? We haven't heard anything about X9 so I doubt it'll happen.

Legends and Battle Network Collection are probably next.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I still think another X game is coming, and after that, maybe a sequel to 11, since that was critically acclaimed even if it didn't seem to light up the charts.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope people didn't sleep on Mega Man 11... Surprisingly well designed and polished game. Probably the best non-X game in the entire franchise.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
out of my ass assumption but i think whatever they do next will be out of left field, at least somewhat. nothing super obvious as X9 or MM12

but they're allegedly happy with MM11 sales and i'd imagine the Legacy collections didn't do too shabby, so who knows

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Didn't the MM11 director hint at X9 or am I pulling that out of my butt.

Feels like the obvious step, though I do think a Battle Network collection is definitely in the pipeline.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I hope so. MM 11 was fantastic, and for the sort of niche that represents, Capcom shouldn't take as negative or disappointing selling over one million units in barely a year.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom will never "be back" until they give us the promised Legends 3, they were about to give us a prototype on 3DS damnit!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
MM12 and X9 are next probably but I still hold out hope Legends 3 is cooking somewhere.

I hope people didn't sleep on Mega Man 11... Surprisingly well designed and polished game. Probably the best non-X game in the entire franchise.
People didn't sleep on it, the game sold a million.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Legends 3 will be made. being 3D would mean a much increased budget that Capcom doesn't seem to want to spend on Mega Man

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think this is in the cards, but I'd love to see a Battle Network revival. I preferred Battle Networks combat to Star Force, sue me.

What I think would be great is a big connected city, like Persona 5, with lots of side activities and mini games, based on a modern Japanese city, like Osaka or Tokyo. The player has a daily life and can jack in to terminals to explore cyberspace and fight / level up and do quests. Hell, to a point just taking Persona 5 and replacing the mind castles with cyberspace missions and swap the turn based party combat out for Battle Networks combat would be awesome.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MM11 was a big success so a sequel is all but assured.

I'm more iffy on a new X game because I would've figured they would have announced one by now.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed 100%. Although I would go further and say it has the best game mechanics and level design of any Mega Man game ever made.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is in the cards, but I'd love to see a Battle Network revival. I preferred Battle Networks combat to Star Force, sue me.

What I think would be great is a big connected city, like Persona 5, with lots of side activities and mini games, based on a modern Japanese city, like Osaka or Tokyo. The player has a daily life and can jack in to terminals to explore cyberspace and fight / level up and do quests. Hell, to a point just taking Persona 5 and replacing the mind castles with cyberspace missions and swap the turn based party combat out for Battle Networks combat would be awesome.

That's the game I didn't know I wanted, now I want it and will never get it :( Although I wouldn't want a city based on a real one but rather a 3D realization of ACDC Town or Echo Ridge, the comfy feeling of the home-towns and environments are a part of what makes Battle Network and Starforce feel so great!

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I am hoping for a Mega Man Legends collection with reworked mechanics or at least bring all four games as close to MML2's controls.

I am just hoping that if they do another X is to have
Zero actually dead.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I wonder if Capcom will ever experiment with a non-2D platformer Mega Man title again. I enjoy the formula, but I'd love to see something fresh from the franchise

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know there's still a few Classic and X games that could be released in a compilation

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
X9 is probably cooking in the back.

I voted for Legends 3 anyway though because I'm gonna keep shouting for it until it happens.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've been picking up the compilations.

But knowing how this shit works out, it'll just be Mega Man 12... so yet another classic game, churned out.

Where's my X Command Mission 2?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Hoping for a MM12 before the gens up. A surprise summer release (aka july) would be nice. 11's such a good one that it'd feel like a waste to not build on its momentum/engine/gear system by leaving it as a one-off.

edit: unrelated but I'd love a Super Bomberman R 2 this year as well. Konami and Capcom both not capitalizing on their recent revivals would suck!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
The game I *truly* want is Legends 3, but I know it will never happen. So right now, I'm really hoping for X9. I hope they go a bit heavier on the story. I love Mega Man 11 but I was hoping they'd finally drop some MM -> MMX story connections.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
As much as I want X9, I think Capcom is either doing nothing, or making Mega Man 12. I'd still buy it if the latter is what they're up to, but the X series is my favorite rendition of Mega Man. I'd take a ZX3 as well, but I think there's no chance of it happening.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I think a new X game is inevitable at this point. And even though I LOVE Megaman X (second favorite), I wish it was Legends' turn instead.

WhiskeyRose

Mar 8, 2020
Protodude seems to believe so and he's been pretty prescient about this stuff before. I'd be really surprised if a new X game doesn't come eventually.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
There's been too much effort spent to reintroduce X, Zero and Sigma over the last few years, such that I can't help but believe X9 is on the way.

If they have something to announce by Rockman's birthday in December, it'd just be fitting.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I'm curious, in this day and age, how long does it take to make a 2D Mega Man? Once you have a level designer in place, isn't it just a matter of writing a story to fit?