• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take vacation time for game releases?

• Yes

Votes: 410 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 625 56.5%
  • There are jobs that offer vacation?!

Votes: 72 6.5%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I generally do on the major fall Destiny expansion releases, although I always seemingly have to return to work the day the new raid releases but oh well. This year there's a lot going on during that same time (Destiny Beyond Light, Xbox Series X and PS5 launches, etc) so I'll be spending a lot of time on Europa on PC and maybe dabbling in some Xbox Series X and PS5 fun as well. I no longer have to worry about time for Cyberpunk though with the delay.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I've never done it before even though I've always told myself I would try it one day. I have some unscheduled days that I absolutely need to use so maybe I will do it this year for the console releases.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Booked off Cyberpunk and console launch day, so Cyberpunk being delayed isn't a big issue. Looks like AC is the go to game now (that and bugsnax)

Last time I did this was GTAV disks didn't turn up by lunch, so I purchased the digital version, which took ages to download and then broke, then the disk version turned up and wouldn't install because of the broken digital version...so ended up not being able to play it until about 5pm in the evening... ah the memories... good times.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I took two days off for Valhalla and two for Cyberpunk...then saw that it was delayed literally seconds after booking the time. I'm probably going to keep those days off anyway though, and just have a four day weekend cause why not?

I usually take release day off for games I'm really hyped for.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I have before but not in a long time and now with a kid I don't know if I ever would again

edit: just remembered I did this for persona 5 which showed up at like 7pm and I was so mad

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Game releases no, but consoles pretty much every time for launch day. This time I even put in 4 days of vacation for the PS5, had too many left anyway.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Does PS5 launch count? I have a 5 day weekend planned to spend with my new console. The wife is even going out with her friends on Saturday night to give me some space :D

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
Nope, as much I'm hyped for a game I know I'll be playing it for weeks sometimes months, so, only one day will not make any difference

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I would be happy to do it, but I already work half-days on Fridays which is when most big releases seem to come out these days, so there's not much point lol. So my options are either to sign-off work at 11 and start playing, or waste half a vacation day just to sleep-in until 10:30 and then start playing.

Nope. I am an adult ! ....
Seriously not for videogame.
Only children use their paid time off from their job.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah from time to time. After using a few weeks up for trips or whatever we usually have to pick a few random days off just to use up the rest so it might as well be when a good game releases. Especially this year when we can't go anywhere.

I'll definitely take a couple of days off for Street Fighter 6.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Hell naw, haha. I'll just play when I am off work.

plus I work from home now, I'll just go sit on my couch when I have free time, to get some gaming in. I'm lucky in that regard.

I just use vacation days for travel.

Last edited:

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Sure, for one or two big releases a year I might take the launch day or day after off. Also while I used to take the week off for E3 it's not entirely feasible for my current position; though there was no E3 this year, so I didn't really have to deal with that issue yet.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
I'm very lucky that I have a job that has great vacation benefits so I'll frequently take a day or two off if there's a game I'm really looking forward to.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
No, but I have waited to play a new game so I could do a deep dive into it on my vacation. Just never planned a vacation around one.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I was going to take some days off for the PS5 but someone on my team (who I know is getting one as well) got his PTO in first. :/

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
I took a day off for FFVII Remake on March 3rd this year. That went well.

It's something I rarely do otherwise, only for the big releases that I am most hyped about. Back in 2017, I took a week off right after BotW and the Switch launched. We went to a hotel up north with the kids for winter activities and I had a lot of fun completing the Zoras' divine beast late at night after everyone went to sleep. I might take some time off for BotW2 as well.

Oct 29, 2017
I did once, when the Burning Crusade launched for World of Warcraft and I wanted to have the first level 70 Shaman in my Alliance guild. Looking back on it, the multiple days of power leveling ended up being more work than if I hadn't taken the time off from my actual job. Never again.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
This year, yes. Maybe next year too, cos it's not like we can travel to another country for a holiday.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I did for the PS4 launch, and then Amazon fucked up the shipment to the entirety of Central Florida.

At this point, I don't really care, I'll play it when I can play it.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
I don't book holiday to line up with specific releases, but when I take a week or two off I'll usually pick a bigger game or two from my backlog to play through with the extra time. I get about 6 weeks off per year and go away at most once, so I spend most of my time off work at or close to home anyway. I just increase the amount of time I spend with my wife, family, friends, dogs and hobbies. A typical day off for me would involve an hour or two bike ride, a gym session, a walk with my wife and the dogs, playing some video or tabletop games with my wife, a few hours of gaming by myself, and some TV or a movie in the evening with my wife. Some days we'd be joined by family or friends, but they're often busy so most of the time it's just the two of us.

I'm always surprised to see how many responses to threads like this find the idea of spending significant holiday time on what is obviously a favourite hobby for forum members so strange. There are plenty of games that are easy to spend long sessions with, and time off work makes that much easier to do. Maybe it's partly to do with varying amounts of holiday allowance? I can understand someone with more limited time off prioritising other things, but I wouldn't have the interest or the budget to spend all of my time off work travelling. I do of course understand that having kids would significantly change the situation!

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I use to, but gone are the days of ordering 3 large pizzas and taking a loooong weekend off from work when Mass Effect 2 came out. But with Covid it's not like I'm going anywhere, so I booked a few days off for Cyberpunk (pre delay), and I'll take the Friday 11th Dec off work as I like staying up til 4am watching the Game Awards and it just so happens that Cyberpunk will be out then too.

Oct 25, 2017
I take days off for conferences pretty often.
Usually admin leave that expires.
I've only had a job that gives paid vacation for about a year and a half now, and so far I haven't used it for a game release.
I was going to take a week off for Final Fantasy VII, but then the quarantine ended up starting right before it launched.
I tend to accumulate more vacation than I use, and I don't travel too often unless it's a family trip.

Oct 27, 2017
I get 30 days PTO. Yes, I sure as hell do take time to myself to relax. Can only vacation in the Caribbean so many times in a year. I take time off when the kids and wife are off but I damn sure take time for me.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
No, though I have been tempted. I almost did for FFVII remake, but with home quarantine I found more than enough time to play without all the commute time.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
Can't say I've ever done that. That said, I took my christmas holidays this year starting December 12th... seems like fate for plenty of Cyberpunk!

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I take off for almost every Destiny release or a big console release. So, November is pretty packed for me in that regard.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I get tons of vacation a year (182 hours) and I have to use it where I can because it rolls over into sick leave at 350 hours so, depending, yeah. I take a week off every time there's a new WoW expansion because a) I run a guild and I want to be ready to run content with everyone ASAP and b) probably most importantly my husband plays WoW with me and, while we are both big fans of video games, our tastes do not align very often so he takes these releases off as well and we experience them together. It's nice.

aside from this every now and then I may take a day off for a big release I'm excited for. Especially if it's a Friday because everyone loves a good, long weekend.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have that sort of luxury when it comes to having time off from work. I can't just go around taking random holidays whenever I want to.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
for games no, but for a console launch I am taking a couple of days off.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I think I've only ever done so for Halo 3 and the Mass Effect trilogy. I can't see myself doing so again, due to being all-digital since the start of current-gen and being able to launch most games at midnight. Plus I'm likely to be remote-working well into next year, so can squeeze in a quick gaming session whilst "at work"!

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I don't think I would ever waste vacation days just to play a video game for a few more days in a row. Most video games come out on Fridays anyway,