• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take vacation time for game releases?

• Yes

Votes: 410 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 625 56.5%
  • There are jobs that offer vacation?!

Votes: 72 6.5%

• Total voters

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm taking the Friday off after the PS5 comes out, yeah, but that's really only because I have some PTO to burn before the end of the year.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I've never taken days off for a videogame release and I don't see that happening in the future either. I always use time off for traveling. Even with no international travel this year I'll be using my time off with the end of the year rather than around a specific release.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not as much as I use to. It has to be a major release i know I will binge play through the night before and day of.

FF7 Remake was the last time I did this and I did it for every Destiny 1 release, but now I can wait till work is done.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Ya I'll do it if I'm very hyped on a game and I know theres plenty there to sink into. I took a day for FF VIIR this year. If Covid hadn't kicked off and led to the changing of my plans and rules at work for PTO then I'd be taking some time for PS5 too, but as it stands I'm working.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. Games generally come out in a Friday anyway, and two days of solid playtime is plenty for me without a break. Any longer of just sitting around playing a videogame would be entirely a waste of time

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
I do for console releases (so rarely). And I mainly take off so that someone will be home when the console is delivered. This year I'll probably be doing some work from home stuff while I wait, so I won't be completely off.

The only game release I ever took off for was Red Dead Redemption 2.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I have more than normal this year. I had already planned to take off for New Horizons but with Covid taking away any plans I had this summer I have definitely taken off more days that align with game launches to use up PTO. And depending on how next year goes, I might be doing the same again.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I never have intentionally, however I had vacation booked starting November 12th since like February hoping to go on a trip which got cancelled obviously due to COVID and decided to keep the time off for PS5.

Oct 28, 2017
No. It's getting more and more rare that games make me lose my sense of time and play continously for more than 2 hours straight.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I used to. I loved midnight releases back in the day (especially when you could just pop in the disc and play and not have to wait for an install). I'd still like to, but since my wife doesn't respect my hobby a day off for me ends up just being a family obligation day. :(

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Occasionally, maybe once every year or two, if it's something like a new Zelda coming out or a console launch. (Not taking any time for the PS5, though.)

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Historically, no.

I did take a four day weekend (Fri-Mon) around PS5 launch. It's more that I am tired and need a break than it is for the PS5, but I chose that weekend because I knew I'd probably be dicking around with the PS5 at home anyways.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Legit shocked by the poll results. I know it's an enthusiast forum but I didn't expect so many "yes".

I cannot even imagine using vacation time specifically for a video game.
Yes I'm old 🤷🏼‍♂️

deeganay

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the games that I'm excited for are Nintendo games and it's fortunate that they often launch on a Friday, giving us the weekend to play!
Usually, I don't take time off for video games, however with COVID I may start it - haven't taken a vacation all year due to the demands of my work; can't wait for late November/December at this point.
I'll have 4 weeks off!

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
When E3 press conferences were on weekdays, I would take the Monday off. Otherwise, no, not unless I was doing something else that would force me to take time off (such as scheduling a dentist appointment the same day a game came out and taking the day off)

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Depends on what I have lined up for a workload around the time of good games that I'm really excited for. But yes, over the past decade or so I have taken multiple vacations to play games.

Deleted member 59

No, but I'm taking time off for XSX launch so i can sign for it and my new TV. I'll be back in work on the 11th though.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Due to the nature of my work I don't really need to. I WFH, make my own schedule so long as I hit deadlines and pick assignments/contracts at my own discretion.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I took a day off for the launch of Half Life 2

Most of that day was waiting for the game to actually work.

I took a day off for the Wii, and played Wii Sports all day.

I took a day off for the WiiU. Because I'm an idiot.

And I've took a couple of days off for the Series X because I haven't used a lot of holiday this year because of coronavirus and why not. Watch the Series X not arrive in time.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering taking off one day for Shadowlands, but it would be the first time I've taken time off for a game.
It's never felt worth-it to me before to spend the leave for something like that, but it's not like I'm taking any vacations this year, so I can spare a day, I guess.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Legit shocked by the poll results. I know it's an enthusiast forum but I didn't expect so many "yes".

I cannot even imagine using vacation time specifically for a video game.
Yes I'm old 🤷🏼‍♂️
I was expecting even more yes responses, tbh

actthafool

Oct 27, 2017
Not for games anymore but I did when I was younger.

I've booked 2 days off for the PS5 launch though. I'll be sat anxiously awaiting the Amazon delivery driver on the 19th

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Not anymore. Since I started going back to school I realized taking days off for a video game means shit when I have to do homework or study as well. I use most of my vacation to catch up on homework or for finals week, and the week breaks I get between classes. Then it's video game time.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The last time I did was for Smash Ultimate and that was only the Friday and Monday. Normally I only do for very certain games (Zelda, Smash, Diablo, etc).

I just so happened to take off the week when the XSX/PS5 come out, only because I had scheduled it earlier this year.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Never done it lol, but I have a bad case of using my vacation time reallllllly sparingly.. Been a little over year+ since my last vacation....

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
I get an awful lot of annual leave, but don't get paid enough to afford to travel regularly so I'll occasionally take a day off for a video game release. It's usually more of a long weekend so I have time to do my normal shit and fit in a few hours of a new game. It's not as if I'm specifically booking it so I can sit playing for 12 hours straight.

Oct 19, 2018
We were asked to use some of our vacation days in certain months last year and I chose a couple of days that corresponded with new game releases (Mortal Kombat 11, Gears 5) since it didn't really matter and it was late notice. This year is also kind of abnormal, I have ended up not using any vacation so far since there's little incentive to go places right now, but I am considering taking Tuesday off for the Series X. Under normal circumstances I would say probably not, I use them for other reasons.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
No. I will only do that for one game though. If Bloodborne 2 comes out and I happen to be working that day, I'm taking if off. That will be a day 1 purchase and play.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A buncha managers about to receive emails about changing their PTO dates after the latest Cyberpunk news :p

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I'm in uni, where a week is about 10-20 hours max of classes and the rest self learning. A position where I have A LOT of freedom and the possibility to manage my own schedule. I'd definitely try to make sure I have some time off when stuff like FF7r, Ghost of Tsushima or the PS5 launches.
I was already planning to skip an (unimportant) class scheduled on the ps5 launchday. But COVID already did that for me, by swapping the physical class for a prerecorded online video.

But taking vacation from a job to play a game? nah I wouldn't do that.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never done it! I was tempted to take a long weekend for the ps5 launch but my colleagues were quicker then me (they took some days off for different reasons btw).

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Got the Thursday and Friday off work and agreement with the wife that I'll be left to it for the weekend. 4 days of gaming bliss!!

elknoir

Oct 28, 2017
Not usually, but for super "important" releases like a new console launch where I know I'll probably be too distracted to actually get work done anyway then yes

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't work so I can't relate, but honestly unless you really need the time away from work I dont really think any game is worth it.

The most I could understand is taking a day off to get really important packages