• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you take vacation time for game releases?

• Yes

Votes: 410 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 625 56.5%
  • There are jobs that offer vacation?!

Votes: 72 6.5%

• Total voters

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
There would be no games for me without my work, so I'm careful about which days I take off. Like many others here, I use my vacation days to travel and visit friends, and just play games during the evenings of regular work weeks.

I think I took a week off for the release of a new WoW expansion many years ago (maybe WotLK?) and it wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it was going to be and I wished I hadn't, lol.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
The only time I have done it was for TLoU II this year.

I think that when BOTW 2 eventually comes out I'll do it again.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Wish there was an occasional option!

Most of the time No. My vacation does not roll over though so if I have a few extra days (like this year with Covid) then I took the Friday and Monday off around PS5 release.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
First time I'm doing it is for the PS5 launch. Didn't travel as usual this summer and I had to use my vacation time for something :)

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Rarely. The last time I did was taking a half day when Half-Life Alyx came out. That was during COVID times so I was already 100% WFH, and the game didn't launch until noon for me.

Before that I took one day off for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Otherwise it depends on what game and if I would not be able to stop thinking about it during work, and even so at most I take one day off for it.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Usually I don't because I like to save them for an actual vacation, however I am taking November 13th off so I can have an extended weekend playing PS5.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Not usually. It'd have to be something really really big for me to do that. That said, I took the 10th through the 14th (of November) off for the PS5. I wasn't planning to initially, but I figure it's something I've been waiting for for the whole year (and longer really) and it only happens once every what, 6 or 7 years. So I'll have 2 days to get ready, the day of launch, and then friday and the weekend to play.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I did for destiny 2 shadowkeep, but i ended up being so busy that week i didnt even play it very much lol

it was a week long vacation and the wife and I were saving for a move so I used it before I lost the vacation time

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am taking the 10th and 12th off. I usually would not but since both systems are being delivered I couldn't stand the thought of the consoles being left on my doorstep. Obviously excited to play both but it's more about the unnerving feeling of being at work and knowing some jack could walk by my house and take them. I live in a nice neighborhood but sill...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes a day off if I need to be in for a delivery. This year I'm taking a week off starting the day after ps5 launch. Wfh means I don't need to take the day off for the delivery, and a day off on the actual launch is inefficient if the damn thing doesn't turn up until 6pm

week after is kinda coincidental as I've not had any time off for months and it's the only possible semi-quiet time before Xmas

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have for a game. At least not in years. I can wait a day or two or play it a bit here and there at night. Besides I already took a couple weeks vacation in September and February like I do most years, along with working less days for a few months because of the pandemic.

I know another guy at work is taking the week of PS5 launch off. But he seems unreasonably hyped for Demons Souls and Godfall.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Yeah if I'm incredibly hyped

I'll get the same amount of hours regardless so I'll request the weekend off when the game releases

I requested a vacation when I got my PS4 with like 7 games so that was a good time

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Not really. I usually take off a week around my birthday, but it happens that my birthday is when the big games launch (not that I would want to play games anyway, I'd rather just nap).

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Not usually. I did schedule my summer 2018 vacation to match the release of BFA. They were 3 glorious weeks, despite BFA being underwhelming. And it was literally like 2-3 weeks before, we noticed I didn't schedule my vacation yet and I just decided to go these weeks.

It's never the sole reason either, like even if the game ends up being delayed or whatever I don't mind, it's my vacation. I'll play later. Got other games to play!

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If I can, then yes. No more than twice a year though. It has to be a game I'm anticipating very much (like Tsushima or CP2077).

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
No I have never done this, getting leave can be pain at the best of times as it not always guaranteed unless I have got cover. I tend us it for stuff I have got planned. I can't even use my PC on my days off due to other half working from home and console gaming doesn't suit me whatsoever.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I usually take off a week around my birthday, but it happens that my birthday is when the big games launch (not that I would want to play games anyway, I'd rather just nap).

This too. Mid November birthday means I'm typically off already around the big Fall releases. The 5 day weekend I took this year happens to fall right after the console launches, but I scheduled it well before those dates were revealed.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Pretty much never. The only exception was for the Last of Us Part II because with all the stuff surrounding the game with the leaks, I expected someone would spoil it for me on the internet out of pettiness and I had PTO to burn because of COVID canceling all of my other plans so it was like "why not". I don't really imagine doing it again since for most games avoiding spoilers either isn't a problem or spoilers aren't a huge deal.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Occasionally. Not normally more than a day or two to make it a long weekend, if I have some spare holiday-days that need to be used up by the end of the year.

I might have done it with V:TMB2, but that's now next year, and CP2077 has successfully deflated my hype with its constant transphobic marketing, so whilst I'm still likely to play it for the sake of seeing what's made it in to the game itself, I'll not be wasting holiday time on it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Damn right I will, but there are few games worthy.

Last I took a day off for was HBS' Battletech in 2018. Totally worth it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Last time I did something like that was skip one class for the MGS5 release since it was releasing earlier than usual IIRC.

There are more important things than video games to me. If I'm asking for some vacation time, I'm spending it doing something else like spending it with family or actually going on a vacation.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to do the COD midnight releases starting with MW2, play all night, and take the next day off. My brother, and my friends used to do the same, it was the best. We used to do this every year up until Advanced Warfare. Now that these games come out on Fridays it seem, theres no reason to bother.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I voted yes only because I have done, but it's very very rare. I have the modicum of willpower needed to just wait for the week-end to play a video game. Only times I've done it is when we're at that point in the year when things are so quiet at my job that my Boss would sorta push us to take time off because it's very dry.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I did for the PS4 launch day but not since then. I have no plans to do so again in the future.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't in a long time (Fallout 4). However, in that case it came out around my birthday and I get my birthday off of work anyways.

Same thing happens this year with the release of the PS5. It releases the day after my birthday, so I'm thinking about using my birthday day for release day.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I've never done it in the past. I did take the Wednesday 11/11 off though. I figured I'll get home Tuesday and set everything up, and download some games. Then I'll just test quick resume out all day Wednesday as I try a bunch of different games. I can't wait.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but nothing major a day or two at most. I usually have days in liue anyway so.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to take some days off to play Animal Crossing and FF7 Remake this year...and then Covid happen, which gave me those days off...and a lot more...without pay... lol

I also took a Friday off to use the whole weekend to play through Deadly Premonition 2.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but only for very specific highly anticipated games like a new FROM game or TLou2 or something. I booked time off from the 19th for PS5/Cyberpunk/Demon's Souls, still looking forward to it with Cyberpunk delayed and I might not even bother with that anymore.

If I travel/go on trips it's usually for gigs and for a few days at most so I can work them around my days off or at least don't have to use much of my leave time. All of the gigs I was going to this year were cancelled so i've got a decent amount of time off in November.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes, more depends on whatever plans I have that year moreso than games, as I'll be taking my vacation days regardless.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I can't take less than a week off, so I can't take just one day or two days for a game, sadly.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe once or twice a year near the end. I usually end up needing to burn time off or lose it so I'll take the occasional day to sit at home and play games like a trash human.