• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surveillance State?

• I am American and no, I do not support it.

• I am American and yes, I would support it temporarily.

• I am American and yes, I would support it permanently.

• I am not American and no, I would not support it (where are you from?)

• I am not American and yes, I would support it temporarily (where are you from?)

• I am not American and yes, I would support it permanently (where are you from?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There is no going back once you do that. That said, we will be doing tracing and additional information will be tracked as part of the reopen. Several governors (Cuomo) have been talking about this at length.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of aggressive containment measures like SK is doing is, you know, containment. We're well past that point in the U.S. so it would make zero sense.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I would support a security camera on every street corner as well as facial recognition systems. Thats about it.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I don't even get the question, how does one impact the other?

Abolish social distancing and everyone gets sick, but the government can see that everyone is sick?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Absolutely not.

Was it? I don't begrudge them for making the app, but it will have to be voluntary, which means it won't be effective, and we are still struggling to have tests available in the states, which should be the priority.

Seems fairly positive? More the 'scary, but necessary' line of thinking

www.resetera.com

Apple and Google announce joint contact tracing technology for COVID-19 COVID

Full press release: https://blog.google/inside-google/company-announcements/apple-and-google-partner-covid-19-contact-tracing-technology

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
You'd have to kill me first. Then I'll agree to it. You'd just have to find a way to get my dead body to sign up.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Fuck no. The government's surveillance programs have already been wildly out of control.

I also sure as fuck don't trust local police to not abuse this.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Canada - Fuck no.

I don't trust the US government to be able to tie their shoes in the morning. Conducting effective + safe surveillance over a country of that size and not using it for nefarious shit is 0% chance.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am pleasantly surprised by this poll's result.

There no "temporarily" thing with the government. Once they cross a threshold, it won't come back.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like how you post gifs from Person of Interest. Loved that show.

But no that would be terrible. It wouldn't be "temporary" at all.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I mean that's kind of what they're doing in Taiwan right now and their case load seems to be working out for them. I'd only endorse it temporarily until the pandemic was resolved. Because whatever freedom we have here isn't working out, protests and all.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Yeah, tell that to the people who lost their job and couldn't earn a penny due to social distancing, while not receiving any stimulus from the government.

"I'm not a people person so fuck everyone else"

Alternatively, this is a silly thread about a hypothetical situation, and I have no ill will against the people who are in a bad spot due to this -- I know many people who have been adversely affected, and I certainly think things should be done better. In a silly, hypothetical, rhetorical situation like the one posited by this thread, I do not see how this could not be the case for my very facetious suggestion of permanent isolation -- Something that literally isn't even feasible.

I think that it's been pretty nice that the environment has been impacted positively by human quarantine, that industries are changing for the better as a result by embracing working from home and digital distribution, as well as prioritizing health and sanitary precautions in public spaces, especially in the US. My, again, very implausible and facetious comment has literally nothing to do with being a people person or not. There is no need to take out your frustration on me by making me into some strawman trying to oppress the poor, lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
From where I'm sitting these practices becoming a permanent reality is just an eventuality. Maybe all this is making me paranoid.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like temperature checks and antibodies papers before coming back to work I think would be fine.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of?

Basically, I don't trust my current government, I don't think I'd trust Biden's government as it'd be mostly the same, however, I do think we as Americans need to stop excusing the gross incompetence and abuses we allow in our government so that these kinds of measures would be acceptable.

For myself, sure, I trust the government enough to not fuck me over unduly, I'm in a demographic that need not worry and don't de anything that'd really put me on their radar, but I'd have a hard time supporting it today when the apparatus that would enforce it would be likely to misuse it on others.

The second big problem with stuff like this is how our country is structured with the safety net. My employer even tried to do right by us, the initially gave us raises, had to take those back as they started getting hit financially as cities closed and our volume dropped(not complaining I get it) and they gave us an additional 2 weeks sick time specifically for Coronavirus use but it's also clear that a lot of what they planned for was based on the assumption our government was competent and we'd be in a different place right now. For instance, if we show up to work with a fever we're supposed to go see a doctor. Already in this country that's expensive as fuck, we have insurance but it's not exactly great so you can basically kiss that 8 hours of work goodbye and another 6 or so hours of wages go to your doctor visit. You still can not get tested in this city unless you are super fucking sick or you know you were in contact with someone else who had the virus. So you're sent home, you're not going to get tested, your doctor's going to either tell you to keep going to work or to stay home but not give you a covid-19 diagnosis, my employer won't let you work with a fever. Luckily my city hasn't been hit hard yet so I don't have any coworkers that haven't been able to work due to a fever so I don't know if my employer would allow them to use their coronavirus sick time in the event they or a family member is not actually diagnosed with it, but even if they did you can imagine that people without coronavirus would be burning their coronavirus leave without actually having the virus then when they finally get it they may not have any time left because they were forced to use it earlier when they weren't really sick.

And I consider my employer better than a lot, imagine you have no fucking sick time and are arbitrarily sent home every once in a while without pay.

The whole situation is stupid, if the government is going to order you home they should pay you or pay your employer to pay you, if they're going to close your business through no fault of your own they should pay, if people need to opt out of work for the foreseeable future because of coronavirus they should be able to quit and still draw unemployment or we should make a new category of disability for those at higher risk during a pandemic that they could draw instead of unemployment until it passes, to those bitching about unemployment paying more than your job the problem's with your job not unemployment, yadda, yadda, that's not even touching the cost of healthcare.

But ultimately it still all comes down to testing, they could have had this infrastructure in place today and most States still wouldn't be able to do jack shit with it because they can't test people.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
PueOKn2.gif

I mean, it's amazing we can do something like that in this day in age but we know that if it starts there it will certainly not end there. It's an amazingly slippery slope.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
For everyone who voted yes, just stop and think about how hackers happily go for stuff like social media. Then think about how tempting it'd be for them to go for technology provided by a surveillance state.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust the American government to do it right, but it is clear that a system like this will be necessary in a smart way.

For everyone who voted yes, just stop and think about how hackers happily go for stuff like social media. Then think about how tempting it'd be for them to go for technology provided by a surveillance state.
How tempting it would be? The government already is the largest repository of data available about a person.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
But they—we are already doing it. The infrastructure is already there. It's already happening. You have phones and smartwatches being tracked. You have CCTV. You have drones with cameras. You have satellites. You have people taking photos constantly and uploading them. You have people putting cameras on their doors. You have people keeping online journals documenting what they are doing. Online activity and keywords are being tracked.

The horse has left the barn.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about a tracking system where a person's location can only be revealed, if a judge or panel of judges grants a warrant.

The reason why I've been thinking this is because of all missing persons, or murders and shit that go unsolved or were not stopped in time. Yeah a system like that, even with judicial oversight, would be ripe for abuse.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
If the government was better I'd support a hypothetical surveillance state. Like if I was the dictator of the US I'd support it because I know I'd be a benevolent ruler.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There wouldn't be a temporary. They'd say it, but they wouldn't mean it.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
We have no option to stop the epidemic before the vaccine other than extreme technological surveillance.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Finnish. No.

This level of surveillance power shouldn't be given to anyone, no matter the cause, because once that infrastructure is in place and the door is opened, it's pretty much impossible to put the cat back into the bag. It will be used in some horrible ways by some party or the other (or all of them in different contexts).

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I'm a British and Turkish dual citizen (have never lived in Turkey, but have gone there regularly on holiday my whole life and have read a lot about the history, politics etc.).

2 countries historically notorious for centralised State control of the Citizenry, especially Turkey. So this idea is immensely scary to me.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how you get from A to fucking B here. How does increased surveillance remove the need to distance socially?

Make the shit make sense, OP.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Nope. Try getting the government to give up those powers it got through the Patriot act. You think marginalized groups are getting shit on now, wait until they can do it the help of modern technology and surveillance measures that people cant opt out of...

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They already do all of this, but they just sell your info for profit lmao. We are living the Orwellian hell future my dudes.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
In the USA, no. Too much abuse of power already. I can already see even more info being sold to companies and politicians covering for it.

Nov 8, 2017
Depends what kind of surveillance we're talking about.

I don't have a problem with "passive" surveillance, e.g. cameras and shit in public places. But I won't be forced to install apps on my phone or any shit like that.