• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you store bread in the fridge?

• Yes

Votes: 278 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 490 63.8%

• Total voters

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not fifty-five so no, I do not.

By the way, word to the wise, get yourself some Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White next time you're picking up some bread. That is the bread of the fucking gods. Softer than synthetic fibers, more flavor than your tongue will know what to do with.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

Sounds bizarre to me. You keep bread in airtight containers, not the fridge.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
At times yeah of the year, depending on how humid the residence could be. It's either eat it quick, let go stale in the fridge, or mold. Most of the year it's fine in a breadbox.

If i lived on my own, would just freeze it.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
I live in France. I would be deported if I ever did such a thing. Baguettes are made to be eaten in the same day.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
""""""""bread""""""""
Sure, put those nasty pre sliced, bagged pieces of spongy toast in the fridge 🤷‍♂️

I wonder how much the pre-slicing adds to the speed of the bread going bad / stale - more surface area for air and humidity to get into the bread. Like, i can't even remember the last time i had a loaf of bread go "bad", and i exclusively store it in a bread box.

we have cats and no cubboard space so into the fridge it goes.

Funnily, while our cats are able to push open our bread box, they exclusively go for brioche - which is why we have to store that one in the oven / steamer.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
I buy fresh bread every day, so no.

It's the norm in my country, we don't even have the store bought bread in plastic bags here that people are posting in the thread.
Well, we do have toast bread (pre-sliced?), if that counts, but I've never met anyone that stores that in the fridge.

Oct 27, 2017
Sliced loaf of bread? Yes. It's like 20 slices and the fridge keeps it fresh after opening the bag. I live in a hot and humid area so nothing edible gets left on the kitchen counter, or in contact with sunlight. In general I like keeping food in the fridge to prevent bugs from getting to it as well. If it doesn't expire fast and comes in a tightly sealed box or plastic container or jar or whatever, then I have no problem with keeping it in the pantry.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Nope, eaten the day it's made, as support for the craft, they wake up at night to make my bread available in the morning. (i buy local and artisna)

I live in France. I would be deported if I ever did such a thing. Baguettes are made to be eaten in the same day.
This would be the penalty i suppose...

deported to beans, buns and vinegar potato-chips country.
(some might enjoy the curry or cheddar, i sure don't)

Got enough for a lifetime in my youth.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
When I buy bread or baked goods, I buy it because I'm eating it the day and the next day.

I know not everyone has the luxury like we do in Germany and France with so many bakeries (even though these are dying out over time), we simply go buy baked goods when we need it for the time.

A lot of baked goods are meant to be eaten the same day it's baked, brezeln, baguettes, etc.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
No why would i want my bread to be cold? There is basically no reason to do it unless your room temperature is hot and humid like a jungle.

It's much better to freeze it if you want to preserve it longer.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
what
who does this
if you do this, you are a grade A weirdo and need to change your ways
you can freeze it, whatever, but don't put it in the fridge!

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
This reminds me though of a co worker who used to refrigerate bread among other things you aren't "supposed" to refrigerate such as onions and so on. Old habits don't seem to die with some people even if facts are laid out in front of them.

50+ items that you actually shouldn't put in the refrigerator

If your refrigerator feels small, take these items out now.
Bread is best kept at room temperature in a sealed plastic bag. Storing bread in the fridge actually speeds up the dehydration process, making the bread go stale faster. So, stop wasting money and keep it in a bread box or in the pantry.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Quarantine first hit yeah we did in my house. We didn't know how things were gonna go down so we bought shit in bulk.
But usually we'll only buy loaves as we need so no need to store the bread in the fridge. No one wants to eat cold bread.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
During summer I do. Always feels like bread goes to bad very fast during hot weather.
My concrete block goes very hot in the summer and that also affects how fast food spoil if it's not in the fridge.

Winter times it's not a problem.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Mass produced store breads like wonderbread goes in the fridge. We don't typically eat it fast enough for it to not mold up if left outside for a couple of days. It lasts 2-3 weeks if chilling in the fridge and don't really go stale as long as the bag is closed. Sometimes they go into the freezer if I buy extra.

Artisan breads, I try to keep outside because they don't do as well in the fridge, probably because they don't usually come with plastic bags lol.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nope, I keep it in a sealed container like most normal people. I've never seen anyone I know put bread in the fridge but I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing. Not everything can/should be refrigerated and I'm almost positive bread is one of them.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I almost always toast any bread I eat, so I keep stuff in the fridge to ensure it doesn't go off before I get round to eating it.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. If I know it'll be eaten before it starts molding then I leave it outside. If not then I put it in the fridge to make it last as long as possible.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds bizarre to me. You keep bread in airtight containers, not the fridge.

whynotboth.jpg

I live in Rio and there is no way you can leave the bread outside the fridge, even in airtight containers, even in the winter, without it going bad quickly. At the very least it will go stale very fast.

However putting bread bare in the fridge seems like a bad idea, put in a container or a bag. I leave it in bags, it remains fresh for weeks. With the weather here you just need a few minutes of room temperature for the bread to be ready to be eaten.

Oct 31, 2017
I have never heard of putting bread in a fridge. I've always kept bread on the counter, in a breadbox if possible. I think bread should be eaten quickly, though I can somewhat understand putting some in a freezer.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Freezing bread is something I have seen before and I myself have only done during lockdown to keep the bread for longer when there was shortages. Normally it's just sitting out or in a bread bin. I have never in my life heard of someone putting bread in the fridge. Is this a US thing?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Freezing bread is something I have seen before and I myself have only done during lockdown to keep the bread for longer when there was shortages. Normally it's just sitting out or in a bread bin. I have never in my life heard of someone putting bread in the fridge. Is this a US thing?

I am swedish and i have heard people say they do it here so. And our room temp is around 20 c (68 freedom units) year round, maybe 2-3 degrees warmer in the summer. But everyone i have heard do it is "Gen X" or older.

My mom used to stock up on bread in the freezer when i was young but never in the fridge. Our family of 5 went through lots of especially toast bread back in those days. Me i don't buy that much bread, it is usually crisp bread i have for breakfast or artisanal baguettes.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
No, because I have a bread bin. My parents do though, but I think it's because they live in a small flat and their kitchen is tiny.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Depends on season and type of bread. With sourdough loafs I've noticed it seems to stay fresh longer in the fridge, but I put two plastic bags around it and remove all air from the bags when closing it. Do people put bread in paper bags in the fridge? That'd be pretty stupid. I'm always wondering when I see people/sites advice against putting bread in the fridge wether they're taking into consideration how the bread is stored in the fridge. In winter I'll leave bread outside the fridge, but in summer, pretty much never.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bread that I want to use fresh I keep outside the fridge. Bread that's gonna be used as toast goes in the fridge since toasting changes the flavor and removed the fridge stale state anyway.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My parents did because we had a large family and they bought a lot of stuff at once, including bread that may or may not be used before getting mold. My wife and I buy what we need for the week, so it's not like a single loaf of bread is going to mold before we get to it.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
God no.

I do however keep my bread in the microwave, as I rarely use it and it makes a good dark, air-tight place to keep bread.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Nothing beats freshly baked bakery bread. But the only place to store it for day-to-day consumption is in a bread-box or bread-bag, not sliced preferably. It holds up to a week like that. No added value in keeping it in the fridge, to the contrary.

However, when I know I won't have the opportunity to go to the bakery during the week, I buy several loafs and store them immediately in the freezer. Then, you let them taw slowly in the bread box and they are almost as good as fresh (no re-freeze obviously).

lizzardpt

Feb 6, 2019
I do put fresh bread in the freezer at the end of the day, if there are leftovers, because even if it's in a closed bag it will be not as good the next day.
So, the morning after, I just take the bread out of the freezer and let it unfroze naturally (or use the microwave if I'm in a rush).

I also don't do this with all kinds of bread, there is some bread that last more than a day without needing to this.