• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Today I realized that I use my PC to do everything: browse internet (like Era), Youtube/Twitch, watch movies and TV shows, etc.

Of course I own a phone and a TV, I just think it's more convenient and fast to use my PC.

Do you still use your PC for things that phones can do?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Browsing the internet is a lot better with a proper browser, you get higher quality video, better multitasking when streaming etc. etc.
I probably do more gaming on my phone than on my pc tho.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I use my PC for basically everything. Internet browsing, talking to friends, listening to music, watching anime. I actually don't do that much gaming on my gaming PC, it's mostly used for other things.

I still don't own a proper TV either, and I never got a proper handle on how to use a Smartphone for some of these things.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Laptop, but yes. Big screen, big keyboard, and easy access to things like multiple tabs, easy copy and paste, etc. Smartphone browsing still isn't anywhere near as convenient outside of easier portability.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
For literally everything. I don't have another decide nor plan on getting one.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Use my PC whenever I can. Its just do much better for multitasking. Like I can watch a video while researching the topic at the same time. Or watch a movie while grinding on an RPG pretty easily. Even chatting with friends on messenger is easier on pc.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer browsing/chatting on PC and the little TV watching i do isn't worth investing in a TV.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I use it for this forum, youtube, online shopping, and sometimes netflix or hulu.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I use it for everything, gaming and working yes, but also general browsing, youtube, twitch, Netflix, etc etc.

I guess i could do theses things on my phone or my tablet or my tv. But i'm already on the pc so why should i move ? And the best screen in my house is the gaming screen on my PC anyway.

Even playing on my Switch, i'm doing it sitting in front of my PC as i've hooked the console on one of it's screens.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Of course, browsing the internet on a phone is a nightmarescape, I mainly visit ResetEra which for some reason acts very weirdly on my phone as if it's clogging my phones ram.

I use my PC and phone in tandem

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I use my PC for everything except watching movies/TV, though I don't do a lot of PC gaming.

I sometimes use my Xbone for YouTube and Twitch if I need to do something in that part of the house, or somebody else wants to use the PC.

I do not own a smartphone or tablet, and may never own one. I see them as virtually unnecessary - toys for adults. Google Maps on a road trip would be nice, though.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much only use my phone when I'm waiting in line somewhere. Most of my internet stuff I do on my tablet PC on the couch. Although I do still go on the big desktop PC for programming projects. My surface keyboard doesn't cut it for that.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Almost all my computer needs are done by pc, even a quick google search on something like a tablet takes much more time for me.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I don't even own a pc anymore, browsing on phone, YouTube on ps4 with tv. And personal stuff that would need office I just do on work pc.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yes, I do.

And yes, I totally agree that using PC for everything is more convenient and considerably faster. I use my PC from the couch though so that helps a lot.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer it for browsing the net, some light photography stuff, music collection curation, and watching online focused videos (giantbomb), and prpgramming.

My phone is used as a primary communication device with a a limited amount of consumption (usually news, stocks, quick fact, etc.). A tablet is okay for consumption but limiting of you want to get some actual work done. Still prefer having a notebook with the ability to use external monitors. May change in years to come, we'll see.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of stuff. Generally it breaks down to:

Looking at Stuff - Phone/Tablet
Doing Stuff - PC

Anytime I want to type something, it's straight to the PC. Even simple researching a product or something is way easier on a PC.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yes I have my PC plugged into my 4K TV so use it for about 90% of my tasks. A desktop is something a phone/tablet/laptop just can't compete with.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can use it from my bed, I'm surprised more people don't do this. Other devices are just too limited for my needs - my phone is fairly low spec so quite slow, plus typing on it is a pain in the ass.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes
Phone UI is dogshit, you're missing out on so much comfort by not having a keyboard and shortcuts
Only use my phone for this in the bus/in my bed

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes I have my PC plugged into my 4K TV so use it for about 90% of my tasks. A desktop is something a phone/tablet/laptop just can't compete with.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can use it from my bed, I'm surprised more people don't do this. Other devices are just too limited for my needs.

I think my desktop is way better than phone/tablets, and TV would slow things down.

I use a nice armchair tho, it's probably more comfortable than my bed.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Don't use a desktop/laptop for anything at all. Phone does everything and it's in my pocket.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
rarely messaging, do that on the phone even in front of the computer. But basically everything else on the PC.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Got the PC in the living room hooked to the TV. Can't live without it. Best media center.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate general internet usage outside of like, maybe just browsing something real quick on anything but a desktop. If I ever wanted to type something longer than a single sentence, watch a high quality video, etc I'd really just wait until I was home rather than use my phone to do it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i used a chromebook...Asus Chromebook Flip C434...

sleek, long lasting battery life and minimal maintenance from myself (no more monthly windows update)

Contrite

Dec 12, 2017
Yes? Everything devices like phones, tablets, game-consoles, smart-tvs, etc. can do a PC usually does better.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I only use my windows PC for gaming.
My Macbook though, I use for work, working on personal projects (other app development that isn't work), video editing, photo editing and then just basic stuff like using the internet and chatting on discord.
I used an iPad for the latter two for a while but I just can't type as quickly on an ipad keyboard and I don't want to buy an attachment for my ipad just to turn it into a less useful macbook...

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Yeah, sure I do. My desktop is purely reserved for gaming, but my laptop is my all in one media center.

Dec 31, 2017
Not even that, stopped using my gaming rig about 5 years ago and haven't used a PC since then. Use the girlfriends laptop to transfer stuff onto hard drive but that's about it.

I see why Microsoft were worried about consoles and all in one media devices, makes PCs pretty redundant.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Macbook Pro/Gaming Laptop/Smartphone for browsing
MacbookPro/Smart TV/Smartphone for video streaming
Small Form Factor PC hooked to the TV/Consoles/Gaming Laptop for gaming (there are a few phone games I check in daily)
Phone/e-Readers for ebooks
Macbook Pro/Work Laptop/Phone/Work Phone for work

I think the best way to look at life these days is connected solutions over a private network. You want to take your activities across multiple platforms. I don't use a dedicated desktop for things anymore unless you count that high spec HTPC i've hooked up to the TV which is just meant to be for gaming mostly.