• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Still Think Halo Infinite Will Keep It’s 10 Year Commitment For Content?

• Yes, this game is just starting and will last 10 years

Votes: 151 10.0%
  • Maybe, could see 10 years of content for the game

Votes: 174 11.5%
  • No, this game will only have a few years of support

Votes: 1,186 78.5%

• Total voters
Bonus Question!
OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So for those all who think this will not last 10 years what do you think the next entry will take away from infinite?

Will the next entry multiplayer still be free to play or will it go back to buying the game to gain access to the multiplayer and will anything from infinite transfer over?

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Yeah, I think it will. As long as the campaign DLC are big add-on chapters, I think they keep with Infinite as a platform for that long. If I start hearing that they are scrapping campaign DLC and that 343 is working on another mainline game separate then I will change my tune but nothing so far has given me any indication that the plan has changed. Having MCC going on 8(!) years makes me believe in their commitment to their releases.
Subtract 3 years from that 8. 343 abandoned MCC in 2015 after they gave up on trying to fix all the issues. They then picked it up again by outsourcing it in 2018 to a 3rd party dev.

RedHotHero

Nov 24, 2017
Sure- they might be able to release 4-5 maps in that timeframe.

(On a serious note- the core is fun and I really really really wish they'd get some solid direction and better progress)

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
lol no, not a fucking chance

Infinite will get a year or two of half assed support and then just completely die

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
This marketing shit from higher ups is always nonsense, even for games that have smooth releases.

Plans change during development and after release, and with the year Infinite is having, its potential longevity has been cut in half, and even then that's being optimistic.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Depends on wether or not the big campaign DLCs dont get repackaged into a separate game.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it happening. The ship needs to turn around quickly, and whatever the certain affinity BR mode ends up being feels like the only real chance at that. In which case, that specific thing might get the attention while Infinite proper falls to the wayside.

I have zero faith in anything 343 does at this point.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think 343 management SERIOUSLY underestimated how damaging 6 month seasons are.

Three month cycles are effective because even though the new season of Fortnite isn't really working for me, I know they consistently do great content updates every season and the next one is in September.

Halo Infinite had a terrible first season and they made us wait six months for an even worse second season...which is ALSO six months long.
I don't think they underestimated it. They just had no choice, really. You think they always planned on 6 months or something? They said at the start it would be regular 3 months and that had to get pushed (twice), unfortunately.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What we've seen delivered so far is still short of par for what was reasonable to expect at the game's launch. Things like campaign co-op (that they made a big deal about after hearing fans "loud and clear" after Halo 5) are still MIA. I think the game will be supported, but I see with my own eyes that the team is incompetent at delivering on that intent.

Their own poor planning and ideas have made the game experience markedly worse than it even needed to be, given some of the understandable realities at play. They've taken some hard-earned goodwill from the campaign launch and burned it like so much paper.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They're dumping the game for a new installment the moment they are able to. At the rate 343i is going, probably a new Halo announcement in 3-4 years.

Give the franchise to id.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
10 years is debatable but 5 years or so, sure. Many games have a rough start and gather momentum but usually they have a hook that keeps people interested, Infinite kinda fumbled and if people don't play it, well the decision gets made by default.

I think they'll do a soft reboot of Infinite, dump last gen for multiplayer updates and if they ever do campaign content, that will be axed for last gen as well but I think they'll focus on multiplayer and forge and if that doesn't pick up, I think they'll probably move on or really tear it down and come up with some other thing based on it with a fresh name like Halo Worlds.

Who knows but seems like they are swimming against the current and trying to run while fixing stuff with the wrong foundations and it's just a mish mash of headaches. Things take time but something is definitely wrong or they are rethinking the whole thing to make it better but then isn't that what they planned to do before. It's bizarre.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Does it really matter? Whatever form the content has, it will be on Game Pass.

Eventually there will be a new package to remove Gen4 dependencies.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Certain Affinity should be helping with the content pipeline

Instead, they're making a BR no one asked for.

This is after it was reported that Halo Infinite was originally a hero shooter and armor cores are remnants of that.

Thanks 343. You really have no idea what Halo fans want lmao.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So for those all who think this will not last 10 years what do you think the next entry will take away from infinite?

Will the next entry multiplayer still be free to play or will it go back to buying the game to gain access to the multiplayer and will anything from infinite transfer over?
Halo MP will be F2P forever. Ideally they build off the engine and services Halo Infinite uses and within like, a year or two, everything is in a great place. Match composer, content, forge with browser, mod support, etc. Then they can make a Halo Infinite 2 or whatever and pull an Overwatch 2/Destiny 2 which just makes a next-gen only version of Halo Infinite with new campaign and all that.

I don't see a reason to release a new mainline entry with any significant gameplay changes. Just keep building off it and provide new story missions / open worlds a la carte.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it. I'm also hoping they move on, as I would rather have new games, instead of pointless service content. 343i is quite talented and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the next Halo campaign.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Doubt it. I'm also hoping they move on, as I would rather have new games, instead of pointless service content. 343i is quite talented and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the next Halo campaign.
Infinite being a 10 year commitment does not mean no new campaign for the next 10 years.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see it getting anything substantial past 2025. Too many games these days and gamers move on to other stuff quickly

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I doubt 343i has what it takes to keep the game afloat for 2 whole years, let alone 10.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think it actually could. I forsee this game having a sort of Rainbow Six Seige effect. It has a really good core, but a rocky start. Once the content pipeline starts picking up, and things like Battle Royale and forge come I could see the community turn-around on it. Despite the negative talk around the game it still has a decent amount of players on Xbox and it is not hard to find games.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite being a 10 year commitment does not mean no new campaign for the next 10 years.

Cool if so. I'm looking forward to the next Halo campaign, as long as we're not talking about DLC within Infinite. Infinite played extremely well, it was the stuff around it that needed improvements.

Can't wait for their next game!

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
d52525c59cfb1c06419064eac09b4484.jpg

no

But I do think it can go awhile if they fix issues and add content way more regularly.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
No and even if it came out fully stacked from a feature standpoint it wouldn't last 10 years. Notice how that was never once again mentioned after the initial disaster of the 2020 reveal?

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
absolutely they will, its only a 1..oh wait 10 year plan, hell no

343i finally delivered a great game in Halo Infinite, and failed to capitalize on the gameplay being outstanding and the audience being as hype as it has been since 343i has taken over, simply by fumbling every content decision publicly possibly

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm expecting them to get through a few years of content then move to just Series X and S + PC with a new title.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not a snowball's chance in hell. Next full release within the next five years, book it. Though, at their current pace, it may take about ten years for a decent amount of content to hit the game.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Maybe. idk. It makes sense for Halo to be a live service game/franchise. Infinite has clearly failed to be that game. The problem however, is not that infinite is a bad game, its that its a bad live-service game.

They need to figure out how to get their update cadence, and therefor their development pipeline, up to the point where people will be happy with it. Which is why I think there is an outside chance that Infinite will still be supported in 10 years. Because if they can't figure out that stuff with the game they currently have, they have no shot at making it work with a new game.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Nah, game is super dead after 343 fumbles yet again. Not even a hint of what is to come in Xbox's recent showcase, except for the fallguys crossover.

This (lacklustre campaign and 343's abysmal launch and handling) and the TV series pretty much killed my interest in future instalments, at this point I am fine with just having the earlier games.

Have to agree with this - they had a golden opportunity last year during release yet they bungled the launch and have drip-fed content ever since.

I enjoy the gameplay but the lack of new maps (2 isn't enough after 8 months), the numerous bugs and overall handling of this game has been terrible. Like you, I'm content with playing MCC and Infinite and don't really care about any future Halo games and content (TV show was also bad but that's another topic).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Everyone doubted Destiny and we are, about to start year 8…
I'm pretty sure Destiny had a 10-year franchise plan, with sequels every 2 years and expansions in between. Bungie changed course when they went independent, but that OG blueprint is comparable to what Halo accomplished with its subsequent entries.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will they? probably. Do I want them to? Not really. I think it depends on how they turn things around. Another similar example of this was Destiny 2. Launch was terrible, first few content drops were possibly some of the worst I've played but after sometime, they turned things around for the better and it is in a solid state now a days.

I'm usually an optimistic individual, however. I'd be lying if I said that 343i is doing a good job with Halo Infinite. Campaign was great, I had a fun time with it. Multiplayer is another monster. While the gunplay is sublime, the lack of content, level up system, desyncs, UI have definitely soured me. It is crazy to see how GOOD Halo MCC is and how Halo Infinite launched. Like the menus in Infinite feel terrible to navigate. Multiplayer needs a lot of work and content. Forge will help a lot with that since I expect the community to re-create all of the older maps and 343i will probably end up using them.

In the end, I hope they polish Halo Infinite to be a good overall product, not just the campaign. Then use that as a base for a sequel to it and not start from scratch.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
People dogged Destiny, dogged No Man's Sky, dogged Fallout 76, and here doing it again with Halo.

I don't think their current activity says much of anything towards the longevity of the title.

Oct 29, 2017
I cannot possibly see a 10 year commitment for Halo Infinite. For example, Destiny hasn't even reached its 10 year mark yet (2 more years). It's a long ass time. No way Infinite gets there.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not because I want more single player content. They have all the right ingredients to make a great Halo campaign, so I want some resources directed towards that.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I believe the comments were along the lines of it being planned as a platform for Halo for the next decade. So in that sense, yes sure it could. New story campaigns become part of the "platform", as does the BR mode, etc. It basically becomes like the MCC, but for new Halo.

Do I think it literally goes a full 10 years of active content updates? Not unless it rebounds and becomes mega-popular. It's exceedingly rare for any MP game to get new stuff for an entire decade, let alone one with the post-release incompetence of Infinite.

The longer it takes to turn the ship around, the more likely I think it becomes that they cut bait way earlier than 10 years and simply work on a new full game. A new title will always refresh expectations and excitement levels in a way expansions will not. However they also don't want to leave Infinite in a place where basically no one has any faith in the studio moving forward from it. If they can't turn it around, my HOPE is that we will see managerial upheaval at the top of the studio.

If the fabled CA BR mode exists, right now my guess is that you're going to see 343 try to use it as a soft relaunch of sorts for the game. Forge should be done and in the game by then, and they will also I hope to the sweet baby jesus be on a reasonable cadence for new MP content instead of this six month shit. So they'll try to push this BR mode as a reason to come back to the game, put a new marketing push behind it, and hope having a complete product with a content pipeline that isn't garbage anymore manages to retain players who left the first time.

I wish the devs themselves luck, because the sad reality is that the game was fundamentally fun. That fun was just surrounded by an ocean of incompetence and greed from people who WEREN'T devs..

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
They might not have a choice. They're gonna get out forge, co-op and Tatanka and evaluate Infinite's viability going forward. If the game has a lifeline by then they'll go forward with it and if not, it'll still take another 6 years after that to get a sequel out. If they cut bait Infinite is still gonna be the Halo game on the market until like 2028/29.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the how many maps they have released since launch it should be no problem for three interns to keep this level of content flow coming for a hundred years.