• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you still play your Wii U?

• Yes...long live the Wii U

Votes: 171 33.3%
  • No...it's dead Jim.

Votes: 230 44.7%
  • I'm sorry, Wii Who?

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Never Owned One

Votes: 64 12.5%
  • Is that the new Wii controller?

Votes: 31 6.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
For me, Wii U means life. I just finished the King of Cards Shovel Knight DLC, and my kids play Minecraft Wii U edition (we also have Minecraft on the Switch Lite, but having both prevents fighting over it).

Do you still play your Wii U?

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Yup it gets regular work in my living room but mainly to boot to vWii and load old Wii and GameCube stuff.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I sold mine for $200 like a week before the Switch came out. Was a good decision at the time since I never used it and the decision has been justified even further because of all the ports released since then lol

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
Mine's at my parents' house because dad loves Mario Kart 8 and I've got it on switch, so it still gets used.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I used it for Smash until Ultimate came out, but other than that I didn't really play anything after Color Splash. It's packed away in its box now.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
zmm6vrcz6b501.jpg

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I loved some of the games released on Wii U - in fact Mario 3D World is my favourite Mario game of all time at this point.

But I absolutely hate the Wii U hardware. Even just unpacking it to try and play is a huge pain in the ass. Gotta find the gamepad, gotta find the gamepad charger, gotta find some wii motes to play multiplayer - oh, now I gotta find some AA batteries, etc. On top of this, it also felt like very cheap hardware - and the system/UI itself was molasses compared to the snappiness of the Switch.

I miss some of the games, but I do not miss the Wii U, or the Nintendo Wii U days at all. It was kind of a depressing time to be a Nintendo fan, tbh.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Sometimes, but I almost never use it for WiiU content ironically enough. It's hacked, so it's mostly a Wii and Gamecube machine when I use it. I own pretty much all the ports of the games I would want to return to on Switch.

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
I have it for BOTW and Nintendon't.
Although I would prefer BOTW on my Switch, I am a SLOW gamer and do not want to start again.

Edit - Oh, 2 player Splatoon is awesome although my partner and I haven't played it for a while.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I try to train smash while searching for a DotA 2 match, lol.

I only play switch smash with my friends, though. Lol.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to dust it off just to Homebrew the hell out of it and get every Nintendo system pre Wii U on it.

Otherwise, no. Although it still holds Mario 3D world hostage.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I play Wii Fit on it every day, and go back for some Virtual Console games that still haven't made it to the Switch Online stuff.

King of Cards was probably my last "new" game on it though.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Not currently but I still have it. I have thought about setting it up to play MK8 with the kids.

main reason I still have it though is for Mario Galaxy, W101, RE4 and Pikmin

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Just modded it for Nintendon't and have plans on making it my living room emulation device when I have friends over, so yes. It's a great device for that!

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
No, but I still have it because at some point I will get around to playing Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3. I also have the Mario Galaxy games which are always worth playing.

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U was my second-most-played system of 2019 thanks to months of catching up on what I missed in late-life Super Mario Maker. Haven't gone back to it for more than a few minutes at a time since SMM2 came out, but I keep meaning to pull it out for another crack at The Wonderful 101.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly not even sure where my Wii U is. I think I saw the tablet in a closet a few weeks back though....

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I use it for games that I don't feel like rebuying like Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Or recently I've been buying weird Wii games like Escape from Bug Island and playing them on my wii u.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Yes, my TV has Switch, Ps4Pro, XoX, and Wii U connected because they are my most commonly played.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The only things I play on it are w101 and Pikmin 3 and I'd absolutely double dip on those two gems.

iKhameleon

Oct 27, 2017
I get the urge to play it from time to time... but the thought of setting it all back up kills that urge. I loved my Wii U games, but the system is just so slow and cumbersome overall. I just hate dealing with it.

More Switch ports please Nintendo! Specifically Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
No, my Switch completely took over. Before Smash Ultimate, my only reason for the Wii U still being hooked up was for Smash 4.

Anyways, my Wii U has been unplugged for a long time and all the games from the Wii U that I owned have been ported to the Switch, excluding Mario 3D World.

I got a lot of use out of my Wii U, but the Switch is so much better.

I do miss the Wii U's menu (icons, not the warawara plaza) and music. The switch home menu is so barren and boring, while the Wii U's was so flashy.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played it really since I beat Breath of the Wild.

I hooked it up to try Devils Third, but that only lasted for like a half-hour lol.

Last time I turned it on was to rip Virtual Console SNES and NES roms so I could play them on my Super NT and AVS (also ripped Breath of the Wild to try and play it with Cemu, but it ran like crap for me. I think I needed to do more research...).

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Yeah I just played Super Mario Galaxy on it this month. Played Paper Mario 64 and The Wonderful 101 on it in the past few months, as well. Pandora's Tower is still in my backlog, and there are a number of Wii and Wii U games I'd like to revisit in the near future (Skyward Sword, Woolly World, XCX).

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Not since I got a Switch, but I might hooked it up sometime for some Virtual Console goodness.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I use mine almost exclusively as a classic gaming machine since I imported the Wii to it. So basically my go to for virtual console stuff since the options are a lot bigger than switch currently.

Aug 31, 2019
Sadly I broke the IR cable, I was playing some old Wii games on it.
I play Xenoblade X on it at least one day a week. After finishing it I still have quite a backlog on my Wii U.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of setting it up again to play 720p/sub 40 FPS Wonderful 101 is terrifying. And with the inevitable port of W101 and super Mario 3D World, I'll have zero reason to own that system anymore.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I kept it with the intention of finishing a handful of games, but it just never happened, and some of the ones I wanted to play have ended up on the Switch anyway. I loved the system and appreciated its small but quality library, but there's a good chance I'll never fire it up again. I just hope the few remaining games I wanted to finish make it to the Switch sooner or later. Long live those rounded-edge discs.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
I bought a used one in 2018 for about 50 bucks. It's now my HDMI virtual console machine. I've installed every 3D Zelda game on it. I understand how frustrating that console could have been during its lifetime, but right now, what's not to love.

Oct 31, 2017
What's up with all the "Do you still play X console" threads in the last few days ? Are you guys ok ? :D

And yes, it's the only console in my living room.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The only reason why I would hook up my Wii U was for VC to play Xenoblade Chronicles. I am so glad I waited though, because I really didn't want to play my Wii U, and am extremely happy about the Switch remake!

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I might hook it up again someday to play Wind Waker and Xenoblade Chronicles X if they also don't get ported but other than that I've no reason to play it.

Dec 2, 2017
For sure. I also bought Shovel Knight on there, so it just got King of Cards. But mainly, it has a lot of stuff on virtual console that the Switch just doesn't (& might never get), so that gives it a real purpose to stick around under my TV.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
bought one specifically for Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

I wanted to play them and got tired of waiting for the possibility of Switch ports.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Love my Wii U. I pull a Wii or Wii U game off the shelf at least once a week and put in an hour or two. Still need to unseal my copy of Deus Ex and Batman: Arkham Origins, plus others.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not really but I have a few games in my low priority backlog and unless 3D World and Pikmin 3 are ported to the Switch then I'd like to replay them one day. Maybe the best versions of a couple of Zeldas too.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
No sold it a while ago.

The only reason I kept it was for Xenoblade X and I'm confident that will be ported to the Switch at some point.