• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you still play your 3DS?

• Yes, I still play it often (> 3 days a week on average)

Votes: 104 14.0%
  • Yes, I play it once in a while (once every few weeks/a month)

Votes: 208 28.0%
  • I play it very occasionally (once or twice in the past 6 months)

Votes: 206 27.7%
  • I haven’t played my 3DS in years

Votes: 225 30.3%

• Total voters

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've become addicted to Piccross so I have plenty of reasons to use my 3DS

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I wouldn't say years, but pretty much since Switch came out I have not touched it. Oh wow, maybe that is years at this point.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mine had been used regularly from launch until last Spring when I finished Etrian Odyssey Nexus. I haven't touched it since, but that's still 8 years of use, which was more than I'd had out of any portable since the Game Boy. For most of the time I used them, I swapped back and forth between Vita and 3DS, endless timesinks on my commute.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sure! It's the only way to play the most recent Animal Crossing game.

also wario ware gold is fun.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, mine still gets fairly regular use. Mostly just playing some Atlus RPGs or some virtual console titles, but I think I'll still use the thing for years to come.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Yep, I'm currently going through both Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (since this november in fact) and more recently Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (I finally beat the low rank Gore-Magala fight that made me drop the game a few years ago).

You may be thinking: "Why the 3D version as your first with the DE on the horizon?"
Well, I actually had bought my copy roughly 3 years ago, but never actually played it.
So I finally was in the mood to play it back in November, and let me just say, it has been a treat, what a cool-ass game, honestly.

I'm also having some major nostalgia for M&L Dream Team right now, so I'll probably re-play it after XC.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Strange thing happened last year: I stopped with current gen (Switch, xbox and Vita) and got totally addicted to the Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS and I don't see this changing the coming years.

Nintendo DS is fast, focused, no nonsense fun. It's amazing living in a world without patches and unneeded logo's/loading/intro's

Nintendo 3DS is unique. The 3D is mind blowing on new 3DS and is something we will never see again.

<3

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Haven't touched mine in a few years. The battery couldn't hold a charge anymore and I never bothered ordering a replacement.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Haven't played mine in well over a year. Sold almost all the games I bought for it.

Even if I wanted to play on right now, it's extremely difficult because the HOME button is broken. I can't play without the system plugged in, because the battery can't stay on for some reason.

Man, I hate the 3DS hardware so damn much. The features are worthless gimmicks, the screen and specs were insufficient from day one, and I've had button failures and other issues on two separate devices.

I put up with because of the many great games on the system. I had some wonderful experiences with games like the Etrian Odysseys, SMT IV, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, and Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate.

I do regret not playing a few of the games I sold, including SMT IV: Apocalypse and Dragon Quest VII, but I'm done with 3DS and never going back!

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't in all of 2019, but Three Houses made me pick up every 3DS Fire Emblem so I'm planning on going through all of them this year. I'm almost halfway through Awakening I think so it's gonna get a lot of use this year

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
With all the talk of card based games recently, I decided to start a replay of Culdcept Revolt, so I've played it move over the past couple weeks than I have in years.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Bought a New 3DS XL last year and play with it once in a while. I don't carry my Switch around, but only the 3DS and PSP Go. They don't need much space in my backpack.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
3DS has native compatibility with GBA games if you hack it (like Wii U does with Gamecube). It's not software emulation. The resolution scaling isn't great but the games play flawlessly. I'll keep my 3DS for a long time thanks to native compatibility with three generations of Nintendo hardware.

Last edited:

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I have been curious of this lately. Obviously the 3DS being just a masterpiece of a handheld with its amazing game library will ALWAYS have some amount of people playing some game or another on it, but I want to know how many people here still play it regularly. I for sure don't; haven't touched it since the Switch came out. What about you? And what do you play on it?
Still do as i got a huge backlog of JRPGS i play it at least once in awhile

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Currently switching between Fire Emblem: Awakening and Rhythm Heaven Megamix. I don't think I'll stop playing it anytime soon (big backlog :P)

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
No, but I give it to my daughter. She played Pokemon X on it but not since we picked up Shield. Sorry, 3DS but my Switch killed you.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the last 3 main series Ace Attorney games during that New Years sale, so I've been playing it a bunch since. Still a great system, but it ain't no DS Lite!

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I basically have zero desire to ever touch my 3DS again at this point after owning a Switch. It feels so puny & ugly in comparison. I guess maybe if I felt like playing Fire Emblem Echoes again? Maybe I finally decide to beat Fates just to say I gave it a fair shake? Unlikely though.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Only played it since the Switch released for Fire Emblem SOV and DGS translation. Will likely play it only once more when the DGS2 translation is complete.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Still enjoying the console immensely. It still has one of the best Picross games ever made.

TXon7Gg_d.jpg
Which one is this? I loved Picross 3D on the DS, is it similar?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I still play Rhythm Heaven regularly.

edit: holy shit almost forgot about the bazillions Picross games too

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Sold it to get my Switch brought another one once I had money again but I found myself never playing it so I just sold it, it's way too hard for me to go back to 240p 3D =(

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I pretty much stopped playing it once I got my Switch, aside from playing Samus Returns in 2017. I ended up trading it in during the summer of last year.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Every day. Badge Arcade + Tetris Axis. Just bought a second New 2DS XL from Japan, actually; my 5th 3DS family device (OG, New 3DS XL US, New 3DS JPN, New 2DS XL US, New 2DS XL JPN).

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, the 3DS wasn't designed for like adults to play with cuz God damn do my hands feel terrible playing it.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Yes, daily. It's the perfect emulation machine and offers the amazing 3DS and DS library. I will never tire of it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Was playing Picross 3d 2 and then Started Aliens infestation a week or so ago.
The DS (and to a lesser extent the 3ds) is a goldmine of unique gameplay and ideas

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yes, it's the most durable and easily portable device to leave in a bag or lying around in my car so there's lots of opportunities to play it since I don't really like the idea of carrying a Switch around. I'll have several more years working through the library at least and the BC with DS games is nice as well, currently I'm playing Ghost Trick for the first time!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yes it is my handheld of choice when travelling and i still have Persona Q and Q2 to get through, not to mention all those DS titles.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finished my backlog in it last year so I haven't touched it in a while. Actually checked yesterday to see if anything of interest was released on the eshop but it was all shovelware. It was and probably still is my favourite console, though.

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
It has mostly only seen occasional use since getting my Switch. However a couple of weeks ago I got Yo-kai Watch 3 and I've been enjoying it so much that I'm over 30 hours in already. The presentation of this game is wonderful. They're put so much detail into the environments and it's lovely to look at in 3D.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I haven't played it in about a year for any substantial period of time. I always loved the library on the thing but I was never a big fan of the console itself. I'm not a huge handheld gamer, but I do appreciate being able to play in bed from time to time, so when the Switch came out I was all over it. I just hope that some of those great 3DS franchises do eventually make their way to Switch as well.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes

Need to finish my backlog which only has two games left

Zelda Majoras mask 3D and oracle of ages

Might buy a game maybe...